Pro-Censorship or Against?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
Ok so I have a debate tomorrow about censorship (I'm against it) and I need some good arguments. You guys like to argue, so get with the blabbering and make some good points.
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 im_very_kind
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts
Ok so I have a debate tomorrow about censorship (I'm against it) and I need some good arguments. You guys like to argue, so get with the blabbering and make some good points.haloraider
america. eff yah
Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts
Censorship is a curb-stomp to the First Amendment. 
Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
If you'd like to quote Mark Twain, "Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it."
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
Censorship is wrong. Free speech is one of the few things protecting us from a dictatorship. Without free speech and freedom of the press the truth can't be made known to the public. Censorship also prevents children from being prepared for what life really is. Honestly, boobs aren't that big of a deal..... Yeah I might be able to come up with great arguements but not now. I am too tired....
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LostProphetFLCL
If you'd like to quote Mark Twain, "Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it."Teuvan
That is a truly awesome quote!!!
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 im_very_kind
WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.
nick3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 nick3333
Member since 2004 • 12414 Posts
[QUOTE="Teuvan"]If you'd like to quote Mark Twain, "Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it."LostProphetFLCL
That is a truly awesome quote!!!

I think that settles the debate. The only case in which I would be pro-(state)censorship is if I were the one in power and censorship would help keep me there.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
I think you'll find the majority of people here at gs are gonna be anti cencorship. I think its ok to cencor songs on the radio - but if I wanna go out and buy the cd, i should have the option of listening to the song un edited if I so wish. BUT that is my opinion.
Jocubus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jocubus
Member since 2006 • 2812 Posts
[QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

Excellent reason to be pro-censorship.
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
I'm against, in canada some good programming comes on after 9 and then they can alow anything, but in other places you watch some shows or music videos and its all bleeps.
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 im_very_kind
I think you'll find the majority of people here at gs are gonna be anti cencorship. I think its ok to cencor songs on the radio - but if I wanna go out and buy the cd, i should have the option of listening to the song un edited if I so wish. BUT that is my opinion.xhellcatx
you're only concerned with curse words? we're talking about censorship in regards to truth and opinion.
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 im_very_kind
[QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

unfortunately the small minded neo liberals in this forum have weak emotions.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
Your topic is way too vague to help you. Censoring what exactly?
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
It really depends.  Should we have hard-core xxx all over basic cable? no
but stuff like blocking out the word "pistol" on the radio is just retarded.
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 im_very_kind
A BETTER QUESTION IS... do you think political correctness is a path to censorship?
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
If you'd like to quote Mark Twain, "Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it."Teuvan
Go Samuel Clemens!
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vampyronight
[QUOTE="im_very_kind"]A BETTER QUESTION IS... do you think political correctness is a path to censorship?

It is...damn PC police.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xhellcatx
[QUOTE="xhellcatx"]I think you'll find the majority of people here at gs are gonna be anti cencorship. I think its ok to cencor songs on the radio - but if I wanna go out and buy the cd, i should have the option of listening to the song un edited if I so wish. BUT that is my opinion.im_very_kind
you're only concerned with curse words? we're talking about censorship in regards to truth and opinion.

listen. I am tired. You are gonna have to elaborate a bit so it can sink into my sleeping brain. Mebby yell it so i can hear...
im_very_kind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 im_very_kind
[QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="xhellcatx"]I think you'll find the majority of people here at gs are gonna be anti cencorship. I think its ok to cencor songs on the radio - but if I wanna go out and buy the cd, i should have the option of listening to the song un edited if I so wish. BUT that is my opinion.xhellcatx

listen. I am tired. You are gonna have to elaborate a bit so it can sink into my sleeping brain. Mebby yell it so i can hear...

do you think the only thing people censor are curse words?
Jocubus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jocubus
[QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

Are you saying a "neo-liberal" would favor censorship? Your on the wrong side of the spectrum. It is the ultra conservatives (totalitarian governments) that favor censorship not liberals. Fascism sound familiar? It was all the rage in the '40s.
Koolsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Koolsen
Member since 2004 • 8054 Posts
/
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
talk about the cooling effect, and you can also argue it's effectiveness.

For example profanity is censored alot of places (including GS), but does that stop it from being used on a dail basis in society? No, it doesn't even effing stop it from being used in the places it's censored.
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
I said yee, because i beleive its nessecary to a certain extent
Jocubus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jocubus
I don't know how anyone could favor a world where there is no censorship at all. Would you want texts and philosphies advocating ethnic cleansing taught in school districts?
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vampyronight
[QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

Are you saying a "neo-liberal" would favor censorship? Your on the wrong side of the spectrum. It is the ultra conservatives (totalitarian governments) that favor censorship not liberals. Fascism sound familiar? It was all the rage in the '40s.

Right, thank god I live in a bastion of leftness known as China where I frequently openly speak against the government and praise the independence of Taiwan. :roll: While I agree that the comment was stupid, the idea that only people on the right believe in censorship could quite possibly be even more stupid.
Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts
That's such a broad topic. How can you possibly for all censorship or against all censorship?
buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
eff-you-see-kay censorchip...i'm a libertarian
Jocubus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jocubus
[QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

Right, thank god I live in a bastion of leftness known as China where I frequently openly speak against the government and praise the independence of Taiwan. :roll: While I agree that the comment was stupid, the idea that only people on the right believe in censorship could quite possibly be even more stupid.

The idea that China is on the left of the spectrum could possible be even more stupid. The communism Marx taught is on the "left" of the spectrum, not the communism that is practiced by China and was practiced by the Soviet Union. Those are TOTALITARIAN governments. As I said in my post before- totalitarianism is on the right side of the spectrum becuase is advocates TOTAL control of people's lives- including censorship and single parties.
Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
[QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

A lot of people like censorships. Conservatives and liberals. George Bush and Hillary Clinton, for instance, are both pretty supportive of censorship. George Bush is extremely conservative, and Hillary Clinton very liberal.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
why should the government(or anybody else for that matter) have any control over what i say, listen to, watch, or play?
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xhellcatx

[QUOTE="xhellcatx"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="xhellcatx"]I think you'll find the majority of people here at gs are gonna be anti cencorship. I think its ok to cencor songs on the radio - but if I wanna go out and buy the cd, i should have the option of listening to the song un edited if I so wish. BUT that is my opinion.im_very_kind

do you think the only thing people censor are curse words?

no im not retarded. Just tired. I guess retarded tired. My brain not working happy. I will say this once. Censorship to a POINT, in my views, is neccesary...but the censorship right now...a lil overboard in my eyes. I dont want to hear curse words on the radio, I dont want to see nekkid peoples on teh tvs (thats what skinimax is for) and, in accordance to my beliefs, I dont want my kids learning in school they came from monkies, so there should be choices in this matter to work in accordance with OTHER peoples beliefs as well...like the people who think that we did can get what they want too. (this is getting to elaborate for my sleeping brain). This is where i stop. -the end-

OH and when it comes to violence in videogames...I think a simple 'very violent' sticker should suffice enough. I see the sticker and I decide for myself if i wanna play a vry violent game. - the true end-

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vampyronight
[QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

The idea that China is on the left of the spectrum could possible be even more stupid. The communism Marx taught is on the "left" of the spectrum, not the communism that is practiced by China and was practiced by the Soviet Union. Those are TOTALITARIAN governments. As I said in my post before- totalitarianism is on the right side of the spectrum becuase is advocates TOTAL control of people's lives- including censorship and single parties.

Read 'Greatgone12's post- he sums it up nicely. The idea that you could possibly try to pin censorship onto a particular side of the political spectrum is ridiculous. Both sides would love censorship and to control people as much as possible. There are leftist dictators, and their rightist dictators. Here's an example that proves that leftists are willing to control, which fits your definition of totalitarian- nationalized healthcare. If you're forced to pay into the system, then you're effectively being controlled by the government. This is CLEARLY an issue that leftists support, and it demonstrates the willingness of the left to be equally totalitarian as the right. The idea of the PC police is one that the left traditionally supports, but is censorship. It's clear what you're trying to do- you're a leftist, which I really don't care about, but to make your political enemies look bad, you blame all censorship on people on the right. This is completely dishonest. Everyone in power, regardless of their political stripes, would love to suppress their political opponents to retain power.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LostProphetFLCL
[QUOTE="Greatgone12"][QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"][QUOTE="Jocubus"][QUOTE="im_very_kind"]WHO THE HELL VOTED YES? ARE OYU A EFFIN COMMIE? no caps.

A lot of people like censorships. Conservatives and liberals. George Bush and Hillary Clinton, for instance, are both pretty supportive of censorship. George Bush is extremely conservative, and Hillary Clinton very liberal.

Great examples.... We all know Bush and Hillary are the pinnical (SP?) of politicians.....
buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
George Bush and Hillary Clinton, for instance, are both pretty supportive of censorship. George Bush is extremely conservative, and Hillary Clinton very liberal.
Greatgone12
If either of the Clintons are liberal then I'm Jesus.
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
I am against certain censorship, but I hate how censored and PC this world has become. I am for censoring child pornography and certain violence from children, like the V-Chip and parental controls on the internet so avoid children from seeing or being exposed to potential harmful things at a young age. The reason for this is because their mind is still growing and is easily menipulated by certain things. I am, however, against the censorship of art, music, videogames, TV, etc. I hate when certain lyrics or images have to be toned down to get an R rating at movies from NC-17, or when the FCC goes overboard and bleeps everything. They're the reason Howard Stern left for Sirius Radio. I just think certain censorship is a good thing, but our society is too censored.
formula1racer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 formula1racer
Member since 2007 • 6075 Posts
censorship is unamerican
imachelseafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 imachelseafan
Member since 2004 • 1543 Posts
Pro Classification, Anti Censorship
Avatar image for xxQuadropwnedxx
xxQuadropwnedxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xxQuadropwnedxx
Member since 2007 • 2201 Posts
censorship=black and gray, no blue :( :|
haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
Alright, cool. Thanks for the info people. Now I know what they will throw at me tomorrow.
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts
Idiot parents will sue the communication inducstries when their kids watch/hear something that is innapropriate, not realizing that they are simply denying their failure as parents. If they can't take care of their kids, then THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE HAD THEM. If they can't take care of their kids, responsibility doesn't automatically fall into the laps of these communication industries, and this is the fatal flaw of censorship (oh yeah, and that whole FIRST AMENDMENT thing).
dirtyd100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dirtyd100
Member since 2006 • 4252 Posts
I'm against censorship because (if you are an American citizen), read the first amendment, it speaks of freedom of religion, speech, petition, press, and assembly. So, censorship can violate all the rights I mentioned. So censorship is going against the United States Constitution, which the government cannot do, so there is no way of censoring something because is going against the Constitution. What I don't get is why they censor bad words if that's going against freedom of speech.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
Censorship is pointless because words ultimately harm no one the free exchange of ideas is essential for all kinds of progress.
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts

I'm very well against it, even though I do know that a lot of adults want to prevent children from being exposed to explicit entertainment, I think they go way overboard with censorship now of days and afterall all of it is just entertainment!!  And that entertainment does include porn, explicit music and movies, violent games, etc., it's all entertainment, even though porn can be presented in real life it's still entertainment and it's not like it's going to jump at children and eat them like cannibals.  Here are reasons why each form of entertainment is solely just entertainment:

Video games: They're just visuals, not real life.

Movies: Again, they're just in visual presentation, not real life.

Music: Explicit music only contains cuss words, and it doesn't even contain visuals

Porn: Even though it can be presented through real life it's just sexual entertainment, not anything "harming" people's lives.

So that's final, I'm against censorship.  Period.

ZeroDeception

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ZeroDeception
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Okay so what would you say the major flaws of the current censorship/classification status is on violent video games? Can it be too easily ignored or bypassed by young children anyway?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I'm against censorship because (if you are an American citizen), read the first amendment, it speaks of freedom of religion, speech, petition, press, and assembly. So, censorship can violate all the rights I mentioned. So censorship is going against the United States Constitution, which the government cannot do, so there is no way of censoring something because is going against the Constitution. What I don't get is why they censor bad words if that's going against freedom of speech.dirtyd100
The thing is, censorship is also part of free speech. Let's take a pretty trivial example. I don't know if this is still done, but I recall that a lot of CDs sold at Wal-Mart had were "censored" and had either offensive words and lyrics removed or changed. I'm 100% fine with that. Why? Because those bands/record labels, while free to say what they want, are NOT entitled to have their product sold at Wal-Mart. If Wal-Mart finds content objectionable, then part of their first amendment right is to refuse to stock it until it has been censored. People generally seem to take the attitude of "censorship bad, first amendment good", while ignoring that a lot of "censorship"is simply due to peoples' interests clashing with each other. Now, I'm usually against censorship by the government. And when dealing with censorship among private parties, I feel that censorship should be voluntary (and that means reading your contracts before signing them). But that certainly doesn't mean that there is inherently anything wrong with censorship. The first amendment isn't just about what we're free to say, it's also about what we're free to NOT say, and that requires people to have the freedom to engage in censorship.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Holy Necro-Thread!

this thread is older than my accont here:P

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

712955d1337432645-i-hate-omega-part-two-.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#49 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
For certain things, yes.