Pastor loses job after questioning hell's existence

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
This is... pretty objectionable. Story
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
well...he is a pastor in a church.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts
well, if there's no hell, then what can the church threaten you with to keep you in the seats?
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Well..isn't that normal?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
What's he doing questioning hell's existence? He should be outright stating the fact that hell doesn't exist.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Thats ridiculous, his newfound belief that hell probably isnt what most people think makes a lot more sense to me, and I believe would be a better thing to teach people than "go to church, be christian, go to heaven. If not burn in hell".

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
He should nail his 95 theses to the church door.
luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts
This is very surprising, indeed, considering we all know how tolerant religion can be. Oh wait...
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I lol'd. It is kind of funny how religion in organized religions have become an absolute, and not a dicussion of what "is real" and what "is not." Like it has been throughout history.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GazaAli
well, if there's no hell, then what can the church threaten you with to keep you in the seats?comp_atkins
no after-prayer crackers?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Well If he is hired to teach the faith and he stops doing so, what makes him think he should keep his job?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 comp_atkins
He should nail his 95 theses to the church door.fidosim
ewwww... oh wait. theses...
TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

He broke the number one rule at church: don't ask questions.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli
I'm no Christian, but being a pastor is all about following Christianity as it is. This is the very basic foundation of a religion. If you don't believe in the said religion then you can't be a member of such role as a pastor. Explain to me how this is wrong please.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Theokhoth

I'm no Christian, but being a pastor is all about following Christianity as it is. This is the very basic foundation of a religion. If you don't believe in the said religion then you can't be a member of such role as a pastor. Explain to me how this is wrong please.GazaAli
Not believing in hell =/= not believing in Christianity.

That's like thinking that believing in equal rights for women means you don't believe in Islam.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]I'm no Christian, but being a pastor is all about following Christianity as it is. This is the very basic foundation of a religion. If you don't believe in the said religion then you can't be a member of such role as a pastor. Explain to me how this is wrong please.Theokhoth

That's like thinking that believing in equal rights for women means you don't believe in Islam.

he should just go create his own non-hell branch of christianity... hell there's already how many branches? why not 1 more?
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

well...he is a pastor in a church.

GazaAli

This.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Oh boy another thread for OT to bash religion. :roll:

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]I'm no Christian, but being a pastor is all about following Christianity as it is. This is the very basic foundation of a religion. If you don't believe in the said religion then you can't be a member of such role as a pastor. Explain to me how this is wrong please.Theokhoth

ok but you diverge from it at least. We all know that Religions and specifically the Abrahamic religions are all about "believing in the entirety" and when you defy this rule, you lose your right to classify yourself as a member of one of these religions. I'm not saying this is good, and I'm not saying this is bad either, I'm just stating the facts of these religions.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"]He should nail his 95 theses to the church door.comp_atkins

It would be hard to nail feces to anything. :?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GazaAli
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]I'm no Christian, but being a pastor is all about following Christianity as it is. This is the very basic foundation of a religion. If you don't believe in the said religion then you can't be a member of such role as a pastor. Explain to me how this is wrong please.comp_atkins

he should just go create his own non-hell branch of christianity... hell there's already how many branches? why not 1 more?

exactly. Don't expect to say such a thing and still claim your position as a pastor.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I'm no Christian, but being a pastor is all about following Christianity as it is. This is the very basic foundation of a religion. If you don't believe in the said religion then you can't be a member of such role as a pastor. Explain to me how this is wrong please.GazaAli

ok but you diverge from it at least. We all know that Religions and specifically the Abrahamic religions are all about "believing in the entirety" and when you defy this rule, you lose your right to classify yourself as a member of one of these religions. I'm not saying this is good, and I'm not saying this is bad either, I'm just stating the facts of these religions.

It's debatable as to what "the entirety" actually is. Where one Christian might say gays are going to hell, another might say there's nothing christian about this belief. Nothing in life is quite so simple as that, religion least of all.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 comp_atkins
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="fidosim"]He should nail his 95 theses to the church door.fidosim

zip-loc bag?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I'm no Christian, but being a pastor is all about following Christianity as it is. This is the very basic foundation of a religion. If you don't believe in the said religion then you can't be a member of such role as a pastor. Explain to me how this is wrong please.GazaAli

There's plenty of Christians who don't believe in Hell, or at least not the traditional concept of it. An old pastor of mine believed it to be a state of being cut off from God rather than a place of eternal torture and punishment.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] ewwww... oh wait. theses...comp_atkins

zip-loc bag?

Yeah if you want to take the easy route I guess. In your last thread they didnt take the easy route with a retractable roof, no. Flying ships.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Not believing in hell =/= not believing in Christianity.worlock77

There's plenty of Christians who don't believe in Hell, or at least not the traditional concept of it. An old pastor of mine believed it to be a state of being cut off from God rather than a place of eternal torture and punishment.

Wouldn't being cut off from God be torture and punishment?
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fidosim
[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] ewwww... oh wait. theses...comp_atkins

zip-loc bag?

That just might be crazy enough to work!
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GazaAli
As for the argument of "There are a lot of christians who don't believe in hell", I know there are, but I doubt that they follow churches that do believe in hell. This is kind of similar to saying "I want to be a Muslim and pray in a church". There are many branches in Christianity, and some of them may not believe in hell. This particular church does believe in hell. If you want to be a pastor there, you will have to a Christian who believes in hell.
Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

Its a methodist Church, there very strict about this stuff...

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] ok but you diverge from it at least. We all know that Religions and specifically the Abrahamic religions are all about "believing in the entirety" and when you defy this rule, you lose your right to classify yourself as a member of one of these religions. I'm not saying this is good, and I'm not saying this is bad either, I'm just stating the facts of these religions.ferrari2001

Not in the sense that most people think of when they think of Hell. Think of it more like being in a place with no light rather than being lashed with chain whips or drowned in boiling blood or whatnot.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 worlock77

As for the argument of "There are a lot of christians who don't believe in hell", I know there are, but I doubt that they follow churches that do believe in hell. This is kind of similar to saying "I want to be a Muslim and pray in a church". There are many branches in Christianity, and some of them may not believe in hell. This particular church does believe in hell. If you want to be a pastor there, you will have to a Christian who believes in hell.GazaAli

Only that's not what you were saying. You were saying that one must believe in Hell if one wants to call themself a Christian.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fundai

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]As for the argument of "There are a lot of christians who don't believe in hell", I know there are, but I doubt that they follow churches that do believe in hell. This is kind of similar to saying "I want to be a Muslim and pray in a church". There are many branches in Christianity, and some of them may not believe in hell. This particular church does believe in hell. If you want to be a pastor there, you will have to a Christian who believes in hell.worlock77

Only that's not what you were saying. You were saying that one must believe in Hell if one wants to call themself a Christian.

uhhh no,. He said that you need to believe in hell to be pastor at that church.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GazaAli
I know that Christianity has many branches, I just phrased it wrong. Please let's not cherry pick stuff.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Not in the sense that most people think of when they think of Hell. Think of it more like being in a place with no light rather than being lashed with chain whips or drowned in boiling blood or whatnot.

Well the common Christian belief is that it is more of a state of being rather than a specified place. We can't describe hell just as we can't describe heaven. If you believe in the traditional understanding of God, than being separated from him would be worse than any physical torture. Could there be physical torture as well, yes, but without a body until the final judgement physical torture wouldn't work so well.
Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fundai

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Wouldn't being cut off from God be torture and punishment?ferrari2001

Well the common Christian belief is that it is more of a state of being rather than a specified place. We can't describe hell just as we can't describe heaven. If you believe in the traditional understanding of God, than being separated from him would be worse than any physical torture. Could there be physical torture as well, yes, but without a body until the final judgement physical torture wouldn't work so well.

Yes its a state of being completely seperate from god, the worst torcher any one can have.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Oh boy another thread for OT to bash religion. :roll:

Ragnarok1051

this has nothing to do with bashing religion. It has to do with a community outing their pastor for doing something that all religious leaders have done throughout history, questioned the faith in order to give people something to think about and increase their faith through discovery of themselves and their own beliefs. Not selling a product.

Wouldn't being cut off from God be torture and punishment?ferrari2001

Depending on the "God" we are talking about. Old Testament God? That would be heaven, not Hell.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Makes sense to me. You shouldn't be a priest/pastor if you don't believe your own religion. Religion should be open to different interpretations, sure, but not if you want to be in charge of it.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GazaAli
Makes sense to me. You shouldn't be a priest/pastor if you don't believe your own religion. Religion should be open to different interpretations, sure, but not if you want to be in charge of it.Ninja-Hippo
I think this is pretty straight forward and yet it amazes me that some people are actually debating this and blaming the church. This is like being a sexist and a member of a feminist party.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

pfft, modern religion has lost it's way.

his hand strapped down and a pair of pliers for those sinning fingernails and this heresy would be history.

gimme that old tyme religion! :P

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Sure you can question the bible's teachings and what it means anytime. After all if we didn't let people do that the religion wouldn't have changed so much in the last 2000 years. But don't you dare question the part where we threaten people with eternal damnation for minor things if they don't convert and give us money >:I
Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fundai

Sure you can question the bible's teachings and what it means anytime. After all if we didn't let people do that the religion wouldn't have changed so much in the last 2000 years. But don't you dare question the part where we threaten people with eternal damnation for minor things if they don't convert and give us money >:IAce6301

This was a methodist church they believe very stongly in what they believe. Other denominations would be a more leniant

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Sure you can question the bible's teachings and what it means anytime. After all if we didn't let people do that the religion wouldn't have changed so much in the last 2000 years. But don't you dare question the part where we threaten people with eternal damnation for minor things if they don't convert and give us money >:IFundai

This was a methodist church they believe very stongly in what they believe. Other denominations would be a more leniant

It's a protestant church who's roots go back to the Church of England... You would think they would be a bit more accepting of new ideas by definition of their history.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

I don't see a problem with that, to be honest. It would be like a buddhist teacher speaking against reincarnation or a sikh teacher speaking againt the 5 Ks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

Congregations fire pastors all the time because they don't like what they are preaching.

Officer Barbrady says: "Move along people. Nothing to see here."

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

why isnt he a jew?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:11-12)

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts
What's he doing questioning hell's existence? He should be outright stating the fact that hell doesn't exist.Theokhoth
pretty much this.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

I don't see a problem with that, to be honest. It would be like a buddhist teacher speaking against reincarnation or a sikh teacher speaking againt the 5 Ks.

dracula_16
not really. i rather hope there are plenty of christians who don't believe in that.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
man that is wrong, one should always question there beliefs
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Jews don't believe in hell last time I checked.