Over protective/ Over bearing parents..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

I'm a 23 year old guy turning 24. I have a job, graduated college, and live in my parent's second home. I'm an only child and I feel like my parents are over bearing. They would call me at night if they see I'm not home. When I mean night I mean 9pm. They ask me questions constantly, questions such as where are you going tonight? is it safe? who are you going with? I love my family and they have good intentions, however, I feel like they're over protective and so over bearing that I almost can't take it anymore. It's annoying and uncalled for. What do you think about this? Anyone in the same situation?

gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gamertylers
Member since 2005 • 1977 Posts
It might be time to move out.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Try telling them that.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Try telling them that.

iHarlequin
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#5 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
And just where were you going at 9pm?
channtheman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 channtheman1
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts
You still live with them so I can somewhat understand their concern for where you might be. The old adage "my house, my rules" is a tough one to let die. I would recommend moving out and getting your own place. After all, you are 24, a college grad, and you already have a job. What the hell are you waiting for anyway?
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Just walk in and say

d

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Glad my parents are the nearly the perfect mix of relaxed and caring. Not much you can do to change the way they want to do things.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Their house, their rules. Don't like it? Move out. The only exception is if you're paying for your own keep to stay there.

When I visit my folks at their place, I (and my own family) abide by their rules.

CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

As long as you're living with them they'll probably have that mentality.

I think talking with them would be good.  

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Just get your own place.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

They let you live in their house so you're not exactly in a position to complain. At least try talking to them about it. Personally I'd rather have parents to care too much than ones who couldn't care less.

RPG-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RPG-er
Member since 2003 • 19301 Posts
And just where were you going at 9pm?SolidSnake35
and who's going to be there? do we know them?
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Did anyone else catch that it is the second home?

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

I'm a 23 year old guy turning 24. I have a job, graduated college, and live in my parent's second home. I'm an only child and I feel like my parents are over bearing. They would call me at night if they see I'm not home. When I mean night I mean 9pm. They ask me questions constantly, questions such as where are you going tonight? is it safe? who are you going with? I love my family and they have good intentions, however, I feel like they're over protective and so over bearing that I almost can't take it anymore. It's annoying and uncalled for. What do you think about this? Anyone in the same situation?

LegitGamer3212

You say second home, yet you make it sound like they are in the house with you. Guess I'm just having a hard time following.

Ficcolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ficcolo
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Well, I know my parents were the opposite. I was kinda forced to self parent. It is what is is but it kinda leaves a lot to be desired
RPG-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RPG-er
Member since 2003 • 19301 Posts

Did anyone else catch that it is the second home?

StrifeDelivery
my guess it's a disconnect garage/shed type thing.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

My parents are like this. I just answer the phone when they call and reassure them that I'm okay. It gets annoying but ehh, what can you do, they're your parents.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts
Tell them you need distance and to ease up. Only thing you can do really.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Find a time to sit down and talk to them - make it clear that you want the talk to be very open and honest. And then tell them how you feel about the way they are treating you. Hopefully, if they decide to tell you why they're so overprotective, you and your parents can reach some kind of common understanding. From there, perhaps they will be persuaded to change the way they treat you.

If they don't change or show no signs of changing, then you should firmly but nicely tell them that you want to leave if they won't stop being overbearing and overprotective. And if you ever get to the point of actually moving out, see if you can give some kind of reassurance that you'll be safe and that you know how to take care of yourself. Maybe you can do something like call them every weekend, hang out with them from time to time, etc. just so that you get to have more freedom and they get to spend more time with their son/daughter/other (I don't know your gender). 

Also, TC, it would help to know what their values are. Are they conservative and traditional? Very religious? These kinds of things factor into the overprotective parent mindset, as far as I can tell. 

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

Trust me, thats not over bearing. They are just worried about you, their only child. I knew a guy whose mother wouldn't let him date wh ohe wanted at age 27. Mother f***ing 27.

Be glad you have loving parents.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts
tell them, not us
4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts
don't have children because you will probably do the same thing to them.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
I know that feel TC. My dad is always worried someones gonna kill me for some reason if Im out when its dark. It gets annoying.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

You have a job, graduated college, and still live with your parents? What kind of job do you have?

If you're finacially able, move out. If you're not, just explain to your parents that you're a fully grown adult that can take care of himself and while you understand their concerns, sometimes it's best to let the bird out of the nest.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LegitGamer3212

Find a time to sit down and talk to them - make it clear that you want the talk to be very open and honest. And then tell them how you feel about the way they are treating you. Hopefully, if they decide to tell you why they're so overprotective, you and your parents can reach some kind of common understanding. From there, perhaps they will be persuaded to change the way they treat you.

If they don't change or show no signs of changing, then you should firmly but nicely tell them that you want to leave if they won't stop being overbearing and overprotective. And if you ever get to the point of actually moving out, see if you can give some kind of reassurance that you'll be safe and that you know how to take care of yourself. Maybe you can do something like call them every weekend, hang out with them from time to time, etc. just so that you get to have more freedom and they get to spend more time with their son/daughter/other (I don't know your gender). 

Also, TC, it would help to know what their values are. Are they conservative and traditional? Very religious? These kinds of things factor into the overprotective parent mindset, as far as I can tell. 

ghoklebutter

I come from an Asian family. Chinese to be exact. Furthermore, I'm an only child. they're very conservative and traditional. 

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LegitGamer3212

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

StrifeDelivery

You say second home, yet you make it sound like they are in the house with you. Guess I'm just having a hard time following.

I live in their second home, they live in the first home. I go over their place after work to eat dinner. If I don't go over for dinner they still call me to see where I am. I'm planning to stop going over their house for dinner. 

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

This is actually something you could just tell them yourself. See what they say. Yeah, they sound a little over the top. But don't ask us! Get that shit outta there, haha. 

No but in all seriousness, talk to them in a mature manner. They're not going to kill you. 

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

It might be time to move out.gamertylers

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

LegitGamer3212

I live in their second home, they live in the first home. I go over their place after work to eat dinner. If I don't go over for dinner they still call me to see where I am. I'm planning to stop going over their house for dinner. 

Youre a rich boy!
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

How dare your parents provide for and care about you!  Clearly there is something wrong with them.