Opinions on Samsung HTD5300 home theatre system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shmedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 shmedo
Member since 2006 • 228 Posts
Does anyone have one of these? I was looking at it on the JB Hi-Fi website but i couldnt find any reviews or anything on the net
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I just bought a Samsung HWC560S a few weeks ago, and it seems to have the same speakers as those. The receiver on mine has no blu-ray player, though, it's just a straight receiver. It's okay - main reason I bought it was for the ton of inputs (4 HDMI, 4 optical, 2 digital etc) and its price ($130). As long as you don't have a blu-ray player already and don't need to plug a console or anything into that one (depending on where I read, it either has 1 HDMI or no HDMI, and one optical input) it's probably a decent system, but a little bit overpriced.
shmedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shmedo
Ohh really? Yeah i did see on there that its got no HDMI inputs. I mainly wanted it to plug my PS3 into. Not a good idea then?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DJ_Lae
Ohh really? Yeah i did see on there that its got no HDMI inputs. I mainly wanted it to plug my PS3 into. Not a good idea then?shmedo
Nah, it's got a blu-ray player already, and if you did want to hook your PS3 up you'd have to run HDMI (or component) to your TV and optical to that receiver...although if you also have a PVR box you'd probably want to hook that up too and it might be a bit of a mess. I had the same issue trying to find something that would work, as most home theatres in boxes simply have no (or very limited) inputs. The system I went with was the only one I could find, although it was the last model and on clearance because it's last year's model. Barring that you'd have to buy a receiver and speakers separately, but that would run a lot more.
shmedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shmedo
Haha I have basically no knowledge about home theatre systems! What's a PVR box? And it sounds kinda difficult setting one of these up. Do you run yours through a PS3 or anything?
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DJ_Lae
Haha I have basically no knowledge about home theatre systems! What's a PVR box? And it sounds kinda difficult setting one of these up. Do you run yours through a PS3 or anything?shmedo
Personal video recorder, although I guess they're called DVRs in other parts of the world - if you have cable or optical TV, it's just your cable box. Or any other device you might want to hook up. I have a really messed up setup with mine because I haven't bothered hooking up everything properly. I have my PS3 going into the receiver itself (which passes it through via HDMI to the TV) as that's the only way I can get proper surround. Everything else is plugged into my TV (PVR, 360, Apple TV) and then has the audio routed through the TV's optical out to the receiver, although I only get stereo sound from doing that. But I've been too lazy to switch everything around, it's a mess of cables and juggling inputs (on the TV and receiver) whenever I want to do something on the TV. (I have very little knowledge of home theatre stuff too, I just wing it)
shmedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shmedo
So basically what I would need to set it up through my PS3 is an optical cable AND a HDMI cable? And the HDMI cable goes to the PS3 while the optical goes to the TV?
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Don't get that one for the price get this one from onkyo will destroy it in sound quality much higher quality speakers and a nice active powered 10" sub and includes a great receiver with tons of inputs including 4 hdmi inputs that would cost you $200 alone! I bought this one for a bit more then this for the current price its a steal. its sounds great for movies supports all the latest HD audio codecs and converts 2 channel sources to surround sound with dolby prologic II so even stero netflix movies sound great. Games are also great both my ps3 and pc and is decent for music will defintly be better then that samsung one you listed.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5300/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-with-iPod-Dock/1.html

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJ_Lae

That one looks awesome for that price. I have heard of JB before, though, and I have a feeling he's located in Australia.

Mod edit - Thread appears to have run its course. Generally speaking, try not to ask for opinions on products on the site, unless it's gaming system-related, in which case it should be placed in the appropriate forum.