One thing I just realized about The Avengers (SPOILERS)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I've seen the Avengers twice in theaters already, and of course it's fantastic and everything but there's one thing I just realized about Captain America. In his movie last year, he knew Howard Stark, whom you probably know as Tony Stark (Iron Man)'s father. Obviously, Rogers and Stark meet in The Avengers, and they get pretty heated shortly after, perhaps having the biggest personal/non-violent conflict within the group. However, I must point out that Rogers never says anything about Tony's dad. He never tells him he knew him or mentions him or even compares him to Tony during their intense argument (Rogers basically calls him selfish, arrogant and conceited, and that he'd be nothing without his suit, going so far as saying, "I know guys with none of that [billionaire, genius, playboy, philanthropist] worth ten of you.") This seemed like the perfect spot for Captain to say something about his father Howard and draw a similarity between them, i.e. say something like, "you're no different from your father, Howard." The argument could've gotten even more heated after that as Tony takes personal offense about the reference to his father, possibly ensuing a fight between the two.

I understand time was tight and Whedon did a tremendous job giving each character the appropriate amount of development and interaction, but I would've thought Rogers would've at least mentioned Tony's father since he literally meets and works with him before becoming cryogenically frozen. This was never addressed in the Avengers; what do you all make of that?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Could it be that he didn't think about Tony Stark's dad? Even then, maybe he didn't think about him that way at all. I don't recall Howard Stark ever acting like that with Cap around.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I liked something I read on another board, Tony has his rivalry with Cap because he's essentially the brother he never had (I recall Tony mentioning how his father used to praise Cap, thus jealousy ensues). Cap was an icon and Howard's pride.

Personally (and this is probably unfounded), pulling the "you're just like your father!" card would be kind of groan-worthy, and Cap wouldn't stoop to that. Don't know who to give credit to for this, but I thought they did a really good job of making Cap mature and level-headed. Stark gets all the funny lines, but Cap is the rightful leader of the team.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Saw the movie yesterday... went in with high expectations because of all the good things I heard about it... came out disappointed. The movie was good and entertaining but not the masterpiece I was expecting due to the hype around it.
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
Stark mentions how Rodgers new daddy Stark. He says it to Banner, something like I can't believe that's the guy my father raved about.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Saw the movie yesterday... went in with high expectations because of all the good things I heard about it... came out disappointed. The movie was good and entertaining but not the masterpiece I was expecting due to the hype around it. kuraimen
YOU EXPECTED A MASTER PIECE? A MASTER PIECE? OF A MARVEL ACTION HEROES MOVIE? aahahahahahhhahahhahahah wait let me laugh harder HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It was a good action flick and it was too good if you think about the other crappy super heroes movies XD
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Saw the movie yesterday... went in with high expectations because of all the good things I heard about it... came out disappointed. The movie was good and entertaining but not the masterpiece I was expecting due to the hype around it. Solid_Tango
YOU EXPECTED A MASTER PIECE? A MASTER PIECE? OF A MARVEL ACTION HEROES MOVIE? aahahahahahhhahahhahahah wait let me laugh harder HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It was a good action flick and it was too good if you think about the other crappy super heroes movies XD

Well I was expecting it to be at least on par with the Batman movies but it was much more flash than substance.
Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tigerman950

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Saw the movie yesterday... went in with high expectations because of all the good things I heard about it... came out disappointed. The movie was good and entertaining but not the masterpiece I was expecting due to the hype around it. Solid_Tango

Not sure why trolling is necessary. A lot of Marvel's films have been terrific in the past (Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America) so there isn't much of a surprise that this movie also turned out that way.

I guess the only ones you've seen are Ghost Rider, Elektra, Punisher, Fantastic Four, the like? Because in that case your post would make sense but even then I wouldn't see it as a cause for being a troll...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Why would the Cap bring up Tony's father in an argument about who Tony is? He had no beef with Tony's dad, just Tony. Captain America isn't a guy who needs to dig up the past to throw more flames on the fire like so many people today need to.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tigerman950

Why would the Cap bring up Tony's father in an argument about who Tony is? He had no beef with Tony's dad, just Tony. Captain America isn't a guy who needs to dig up the past to throw more flames on the fire like so many people today need to.

Wasdie

Then he could've pointed out how different he is from his father.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Wasdie

Good point. Even though he was in mourning for everyone he left behind, he didn't bring up the past in that heated situation.

This is a good example of his levelheadedness, which is exactly what the Avengers need. They may all be powerful and Thor may have more battle training and experience than all of them combined (not completely sure about that, but I'm guessing he does), but Cap' has a couple key things that make him the best choice as leader of the team. First, he was a major part of World War II's many battles. So, he's a highly experienced soldier with knowledge of the battlefield.

The others have also been through battles, most notably Thor, but that leads to my point: He's human. This is most obvious when compared to Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor. Because his strength is incomparable to theirs, it makes him the balance of the team. Even though he isn't as strong as the heroes mentioned before, he is at the peak of human potential. At least, the physical peak. This image of his role as leader becomes more obvious when you factor in Black Widow and Hawkeye, who don't really have superpowers.Being a patriotic soldier, I would argue that he's the most disciplined of the group, as well.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

[QUOTE="Solid_Tango"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Saw the movie yesterday... went in with high expectations because of all the good things I heard about it... came out disappointed. The movie was good and entertaining but not the masterpiece I was expecting due to the hype around it. kuraimen

Well I was expecting it to be at least on par with the Batman movies but it was much more flash than substance.

The thing is, how could it have possibly been that good? The Batman movies focus on one character each, mostly Batman in the first, mostly Joker in the second. When you have six heros that all share the spotlight, its very difficult to flesh each out and give them due screen time. Batman was better, but the Avengers was as good as it could have possibly been in my opinion. I don't think it was the greatest thing ever, but people really went in for the action and got some good jokes, solid development, and some great action. To ask for the depth of TDK too is a little much imo.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Solid_Tango"] YOU EXPECTED A MASTER PIECE? A MASTER PIECE? OF A MARVEL ACTION HEROES MOVIE? aahahahahahhhahahhahahah wait let me laugh harder HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. It was a good action flick and it was too good if you think about the other crappy super heroes movies XDRandomWinner

The thing is, how could it have possibly been that good? The Batman movies focus on one character each, mostly Batman in the first, mostly Joker in the second. When you have six heros that all share the spotlight, its very difficult to flesh each out and give them due screen time. Batman was better, but the Avengers was as good as it could have possibly been in my opinion. I don't think it was the greatest thing ever, but people really went in for the action and got some good jokes, solid development, and some great action. To ask for the depth of TDK too is a little much imo.

Agree but it was just because of the hype surrounding it. For example I remember seeing people comparing the actor who did Loki's performance as good as the last Batman's Joker or people saying it was the best superhero movie of all time. So I guess the over-hype got to me and I expected too much. The movie was not bad though I liked it. Although as an purely action superhero movie with relatively shallow topics I think I still prefer the first Ironman or even X-Men: First Class. Superhero movies with deeper topics I still think the Dark Knight and Watchmen are still the best.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RandomWinner

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Well I was expecting it to be at least on par with the Batman movies but it was much more flash than substance. kuraimen

Agree but it was just because of the hype surrounding it. For example I remember seeing people comparing the actor who did Loki's performance as good as the last Batman's Joker or people saying it was the best superhero movie of all time. So I guess the over-hype got to me and I expected too much. The movie was not bad though I liked it. Although as an purely action superhero movie with relatively shallow topics I think I still prefer the first Ironman or even X-Men: First Class. Superhero movies with deeper topics I still think the Dark Knight and Watchmen are still the best.

I saw that thread, but the only ones claiming Loki was better just thought Ledger was overrated. Overhyping something is the worst thing you can do for any media, it ruins something that's still great. First Class was very good, it was very different though, more of an origin story and it only really focused on X and Magneto. I don't know which I liked better, that's pretty close. The first Ironman I haven't seen in a while, so I can't compare it. TDK is still my favorite superhero movie, but I refuse to watch Watchmen until I read the Graphic Novel.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Yea, I haven't remembered that. It could be a thing nice to see.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Tigerman950

Then he could've pointed out how different he is from his father.

Not necessary. Just because you want to write the script differently doesn't mean it needed to be done that way.....
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

RandomWinner

I saw that thread, but the only ones claiming Loki was better just thought Ledger was overrated. Overhyping something is the worst thing you can do for any media, it ruins something that's still great. First Class was very good, it was very different though, more of an origin story and it only really focused on X and Magneto. I don't know which I liked better, that's pretty close. The first Ironman I haven't seen in a while, so I can't compare it. TDK is still my favorite superhero movie, but I refuse to watch Watchmen until I read the Graphic Novel.

Yeah you should definitely read the novel first. The novel is a masterpiece IMO. The movie is not as good but is a pretty good effort.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RandomWinner

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Agree but it was just because of the hype surrounding it. For example I remember seeing people comparing the actor who did Loki's performance as good as the last Batman's Joker or people saying it was the best superhero movie of all time. So I guess the over-hype got to me and I expected too much. The movie was not bad though I liked it. Although as an purely action superhero movie with relatively shallow topics I think I still prefer the first Ironman or even X-Men: First Class. Superhero movies with deeper topics I still think the Dark Knight and Watchmen are still the best.kuraimen

Yeah you should definitely read the novel first. The novel is a masterpiece IMO. The movie is not as good but is a pretty good effort.

I heard it was pretty much panel by panel. I have the graphic novel sitting right next to me above my dresser right now. I just have to open it. I've been so busy though! Once I graduate, I'll have 3 free weeks before I start working. I discussed it a little with a friend, and I really can't wait to get into it. It sounds very smart!

Besides, how can the movie be better if the Graphic Novel is a masterpiece? There's so much the movie will miss because you can't stop and look at a previous shot in the middle, it breaks it.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kuraimen

RandomWinner

I heard it was pretty much panel by panel. I have the graphic novel sitting right next to me above my dresser right now. I just have to open it. I've been so busy though! Once I graduate, I'll have 3 free weeks before I start working. I discussed it a little with a friend, and I really can't wait to get into it. It sounds very smart!

Besides, how can the movie be better if the Graphic Novel is a masterpiece? There's so much the movie will miss because you can't stop and look at a previous shot in the middle, it breaks it.

Yeah I think the weakest point of the movie is that it completely ignores the story within the story that goes on in the novel. That really ads depth and more layers of symbolism to it. And of course the character development.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Saw the movie yesterday... went in with high expectations because of all the good things I heard about it... came out disappointed. The movie was good and entertaining but not the masterpiece I was expecting due to the hype around it. kuraimen
Somewhat the same. I didn't come out disappointed, but people hyping this to the heavens...Really? It was the best Marvel movie yet, but it's just a good movie otherwise. It didn't stand out like The Dark Knight and The Watchmen did to me.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
Too much characters and things to describe to spend time uselessly in a "I met your dad 5,000 years ago" conversation...
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Well I was expecting it to be at least on par with the Batman movies but it was much more flash than substance. kuraimen

Whoa, our opinions seem to be quite similar! I definitely didn't see how Loki was close to The Joker, or how it's the best superhero of all time. Possibly the best Marvel movie, but otherwise? And yea, The Watchmen and The Dark Knight have spoiled me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

Hexagon_777

Whoa, our opinions seem to be quite similar! I definitely didn't see how Loki was close to The Joker, or how it's the best superhero of all time. Possibly the best Marvel movie, but otherwise? And yea, The Watchmen and The Dark Knight have spoiled me.

The Watchman was a very slow start.....so I turned the movie off.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Agree but it was just because of the hype surrounding it. For example I remember seeing people comparing the actor who did Loki's performance as good as the last Batman's Joker or people saying it was the best superhero movie of all time. So I guess the over-hype got to me and I expected too much. The movie was not bad though I liked it. Although as an purely action superhero movie with relatively shallow topics I think I still prefer the first Ironman or even X-Men: First Class. Superhero movies with deeper topics I still think the Dark Knight and Watchmen are still the best.LJS9502_basic

You seemed like the type to handle slow starts better than what I assume to be ADD ridden teenagers frequenting these boards and the internet in general.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Whoa, our opinions seem to be quite similar! I definitely didn't see how Loki was close to The Joker, or how it's the best superhero of all time. Possibly the best Marvel movie, but otherwise? And yea, The Watchmen and The Dark Knight have spoiled me.

Hexagon_777

You seemed like the type to handle slow starts better than what I assume to be ADD ridden teenagers frequenting these boards and the internet in general.

Oh I plan on watching it some day. But I wasn't in a good mood and the movie didn't pull me in right away. I'll give it another chance some time soon. Promise.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] The Watchman was a very slow start.....so I turned the movie off.LJS9502_basic

Oh I plan on watching it some day. But I wasn't in a good mood and the movie didn't pull me in right away. I'll give it another chance some time soon. Promise.

I can only assume that you're being sarcastic as I am perceiving your post in a strangely unsarcastic, normal, friendly tone with no excessive use of ellipses. Are you okay, man? If there was a jab against me in there, please tell me. o.O

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]You seemed like the type to handle slow starts better than what I assume to be ADD ridden teenagers frequenting these boards and the internet in general.

Hexagon_777

I can only assume that you're being sarcastic as I am perceiving your post in a strangely unsarcastic, normal, friendly tone with no excessive use of ellipses. Are you okay, man? If there was a jab against me in there, please tell me. o.O

I'm not always sarcastic. And I have many normal conversations here.:(
Devil_Huntress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Devil_Huntress
Member since 2004 • 24464 Posts

Maybe he did mention it but it was cut from the film. The original cut of the movie was suppose to be 3 hours long. So we have lots of deleted scenes to look forward to when it comes out on DVD.:)

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Oh I plan on watching it some day. But I wasn't in a good mood and the movie didn't pull me in right away. I'll give it another chance some time soon. Promise.LJS9502_basic

I'm not always sarcastic. And I have many normal conversations here.:(

I always catch the ones where I go "Damnnn, he could have put that nicer!" :P