Old news, but our favorite cereals from childhood aren't good anymore.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YouAmStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YouAmStupid
Member since 2009 • 343 Posts

This may not be a recent development, but I was thinking about it recently, and I feel the need to complain a little bit. Our favorite cereals from childhood suck now. They've pretty much all converted to whole grain with less sugar. That's way healthier, but all nostalgia is lost. I can't get a box of the Cap'n and relive my childhood Saturday mornings watching cartoons. No memories like that pop up. Instead the taste reminds me of...disappointment.

Generic cereal is actually the good stuff now because they're all still sugary like the good ol' days.

What do you think of this phenomenon? Do you feel betrayed by your favorite cereal brands from years ago?

Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
I don't eat cereal. I eat raw meat for breakfast. So no betrayal here for me.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
I actually have wondered the same thing. I've just thought that our taste buds become less sensitive as we age.
HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts

This may not be a recent development, but I was thinking about it recently, and I feel the need to complain a little bit. Our favorite cereals from childhood suck now. They've pretty much all converted to whole grain with less sugar. That's way healthier, but all nostalgia is lost. I can't get a box of the Cap'n and relive my childhood Saturday mornings watching cartoons. No memories like that pop up. Instead the taste reminds me of...disappointment.

Generic cereal is actually the good stuff now because they're all still sugary like the good ol' days.

What do you think of this phenomenon? Do you feel betrayed by your favorite cereal brands from years ago?

YouAmStupid
Captain Crunch is still on top of the game, and Crunch berries is as good as ever. Granted, they've made some really crappy versions lately, but the classics still remain. Trix tastes the same, they just changed the shape, Cocoa Puffs are good, Fruity Pebbles, etc... A lot of the classics are still around, sometimes they get nasty spinoffs inolving marshmellows and smores, and i can't really taste the difference with the added whole grain. cereal is so awesome.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I can't stand supper sweet cereals, it's a good move IMO
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
I share your concerns. Honey Combs taste terrible these days. :evil:
YouAmStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 YouAmStupid
Member since 2009 • 343 Posts
[QUOTE="HoldThePhone"]Captain Crunch is still on top of the game, and Crunch berries is as good as ever. Granted, they've made some really crappy versions lately, but the classics still remain. Trix tastes the same, they just changed the shape, Cocoa Puffs are good, Fruity Pebbles, etc... A lot of the classics are still around, sometimes they get nasty spinoffs inolving marshmellows and smores, and i can't really taste the difference with the added whole grain. cereal is so awesome.

Cap'n Crunch tastes entirely different, but I'm glad for your sake that you can't tell. Same with Cocoa Puffs. Sadly, I hardly ever ate Fruity Pebbles as a kid, so I don't have much to comment on those... But I will agree that Trix still tastes solid. However, I am NOT cool with the new shape. That does not fly with me.
artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
Corn Flakes tastes just the same as it did ten years ago so I'm good.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

It's funny because here in the UK, we call you Americans fat, but our kiddie cereals like Coco Pops used to advertise things like "Now even more chocolaty!" And Ambrosia Rice kept on going "Now even more creamy!" Suger Puffs don't try to be suptle with their name, are just as much as a packet of suger in a box as ever before.

The UK is sweet. Although I prefer Cheese on toast with Worchester sause for brekkie.

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

Don't you say that about Cinnamon toast crunch! :x It's cinnamon swirls in every bite!

But I do have to say that Cookie Crisp doesn't taste as good anymore....

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I'm kaka for coco puffs. :D
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
taste the same to me
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Yeah, some of them are maybe not as good as they used to be, but I haven't noticed a really significantly bad difference overall.
R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
Reese's Puffs are the best cereal out now. I have to ask my mom not to buy them because when she does I gorge myself with them.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
They still taste fine to me, and whole grain is good for you so i don't have a problem with that.
marinerfan182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 marinerfan182
Member since 2005 • 497 Posts
The whole grain stuff is the only stuff that i've known. Tastes fine to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
They've made them better, you should be glad.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Capt 'n' Crunch is still the same for me :|
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
I am only irked by the replacement of the Cookie Crisp dog. You had a lovable cartoon dog, then you get a wolf guy. How does one go from dog to wolf? :|
Avatar image for Scott_Malkinson
Scott_Malkinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Scott_Malkinson
Member since 2008 • 2604 Posts

YouAmStupid
I agree. Cereal sucks now. They all taste the same too. They aren't anything like the way they used to be.
JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts
To me (Most) taste like cardboard now The only ones that didn't change is Frosted Flakes
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
But I will agree that Trix still tastes solid. However, I am NOT cool with the new shape. That does not fly with me.YouAmStupid

Yeah, why'd they cheap out on us man? (it was obviously done to reduce production costs)