Obama to announce gun control plans Wednesday

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/15/politics/gun-laws-battle/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- A package of gun control proposals including a ban on assault weapons will be unveiled on Wednesday by President Barack Obama in response to last month's Connecticut school massacre. Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will announce the proposals, White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters on Tuesday. They will be joined by a group of children who wrote letters to the president in the aftermath of the December 14 shooting rampage by a lone gunman who killed 20 students and six adults at a Newtown elementary school, Carney said. Obama will propose legislative steps he previously has backed, such as a ban on assault weapons, restrictions on high-capacity ammunition magazines and strengthening federal background checks of people attempting to buy guns, according to Carney. The president also will push for other steps that could include executive actions on his part that don't require congressional approval, Carney noted.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

Given his record I don't fully trust him to be wise about this.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

This won't end well.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

what a day in OT that will be.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrPraline

jim_shorts
Me neither. The fact he's presenting this surrounded by "children who wrote letters in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting' is proof of how much agitprop we will continue to be slapped around with. smh.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrPraline

This won't end well.

hartsickdiscipl
It's funny to me that they are still focusing on "assault weapons" or "semi assault weapons". Such an obvious red herring but nobody really sees it as what it is. A mindless distraction.
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

Good, something needs to change.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

This won't end well.

MrPraline

It's funny to me that they are still focusing on "assault weapons" or "semi assault weapons". Such an obvious red herring but nobody really sees it as what it is. A mindless distraction.

The level of ignorance regarding what an "assault weapon" is scary. Assault weapons have been banned for quite awhile, as you know. New York State just passed a law banning magazines over 7 rounds. It does quite a few other unnecessary things as well.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I think he is over stepping his powers here. Why the F would we have a congress if the president could just bypass them, even on this subject? The 2nd admendment is being stripped down.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

MrPraline
Me neither. The fact he's presenting this surrounded by "children who wrote letters in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting' is proof of how much agitprop we will continue to be slapped around with. smh.

Oh gosh. This is going to be painful.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I watched PBS Newshour on this issue and the President basically said that many of the things that will come out of this task force will have to be approved by congress (better backround checks, the gun show loophole, etc). He also never said what action his office can take, but I'm sure it's much more limited in scope then anything that will require new legislation.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

This won't end well.

hartsickdiscipl

The level of ignorance regarding what an "assault weapon" is scary. Assault weapons have been banned for quite awhile, as you know. New York State just passed a law banning magazines over 7 rounds. It does quite a few other unnecessary things as well.

Yeah. And now they're focusing on sporting rifles that look like "assault weapons". What a joke. As Ben Shapiro said, just argue to ban all guns instead, would make Piers Morgan et al look a lot more honest.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#13 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

He's gonna introduce a bill named after one of the killed children.

Calling it.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] It's funny to me that they are still focusing on "assault weapons" or "semi assault weapons". Such an obvious red herring but nobody really sees it as what it is. A mindless distraction. MrPraline

Yeah. And now they're focusing on sporting rifles that look like "assault weapons". What a joke. As Ben Shapiro said, just argue to ban all guns instead, would make Piers Morgan et al look a lot more honest.

When you present the ignorant left with the relevant statistics, they have nothing to say. Anyone can look up the stats and see that handguns are responsible for the vast majority of shootings. Instead of at least targeting the real perceived problem, they cower and spout off nonsense about "assault weapons" that aren't even being used. It's pathetic.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Watching my facebook feed should be fun tomorrow. By fun I mean f*cking awful
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

He's gonna introduce a bill named after one of the killed children.

Calling it.

Slashless
The "republicans voted against protecting litlle children" is already taken.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Nothing more than an emotional kneejerk reaction.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaJuicyMan

hartsickdiscipl

When you present the ignorant left with the relevant statistics, they have nothing to say. Anyone can look up the stats and see that handguns are responsible for the vast majority of shootings. Instead of at least targeting the real perceived problem, they cower and spout off nonsense about "assault weapons" that aren't even being used. It's pathetic.

You'd b!tch no matter what Obama would do.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Yeah. And now they're focusing on sporting rifles that look like "assault weapons". What a joke. As Ben Shapiro said, just argue to ban all guns instead, would make Piers Morgan et al look a lot more honest.DaJuicyMan

I'd be okay with it if he resigned.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Yeah. And now they're focusing on sporting rifles that look like "assault weapons". What a joke. As Ben Shapiro said, just argue to ban all guns instead, would make Piers Morgan et al look a lot more honest.DaJuicyMan

If he understood the intent of the 2nd Amendment and indeed the very nature of the US Constitution, I wouldn't feel compelled to say anything. He has repeatedly shown a propensity for knee-jerk reactions and a "Barry knows best" mentality. He stands there and addresses the nation about what "the majority of Americans want." It's a joke.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"]

MrPraline

This.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

What an awful piece of kabuki theater. Parading kids around to further any agenda is despicable.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"] You'd b!tch no matter what Obama would do.

hartsickdiscipl

This.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="DaJuicyMan"] You'd b!tch no matter what Obama would do.

hartsickdiscipl

This.

also, skip to 1:46 on this song first 4 lines of that verse are beautiful
FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FreddyJeffery
Member since 2013 • 164 Posts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] It's funny to me that they are still focusing on "assault weapons" or "semi assault weapons". Such an obvious red herring but nobody really sees it as what it is. A mindless distraction. MrPraline

Banning "LOOK a LIKES" is what they are doing? So we have to take away kids Squirt Guns?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JML897

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] I'd be okay with it if he resigned.dave123321

This.

C'mon

Do you guys really think Joe Biden would be much different?

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FreddyJeffery

FreddyJeffery

Banning "LOOK a LIKES" is what they are doing? So we have to take away kids Squirt Guns?

Here's another one:
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrPraline

What an awful piece of kabuki theater. Parading kids around to further any agenda is despicable.

VoodooHak
Agreed. And it's barely a month after Barry's other piece of kabuki theater, the "fiscal cliff" puppet show. Eager to perform, this guy.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JML897

FreddyJeffery

Having a kid run around with a squirt gun that looks like that in a city is a great way for the kid to get shot for real

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FreddyJeffery

[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"][QUOTE="MrPraline"] Yeah. And now they're focusing on sporting rifles that look like "assault weapons". What a joke. As Ben Shapiro said, just argue to ban all guns instead, would make Piers Morgan et al look a lot more honest.JML897

Having a kid run around with a squirt gun that looks like that in a city is a great way for the kid to get shot for real

Not the point, should we ban Squirt Guns is the question I am asking you? We haven't even gotten to the reaistic arcade guns yet.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] I'd be okay with it if he resigned.MrPraline

This.

How true

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="FreddyJeffery"] Banning "LOOK a LIKES" is what they are doing? So we have to take away kids Squirt Guns?FreddyJeffery

Not the point, should we ban Squirt Guns is the question I am asking you? We haven't even gotten to the reaistic arcade guns yet.

Probably not but I think a squirt gun that makes itself look like a real gun is a really f*cking bad idea

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Yusuke420

LOL This presdent was reelected in a electoral landslide and you want him to resign? On what basis? I'm proud he has the courage to deal with this issue in the face of so much opposition for a very vocal minority. Like it or not the majority of this country reelected this man and he hid nothing about what he planned to do in a second term. Maybe if you folks were about the organize the bat-sh!t party and actually find some time to have a platform instead of monday morning quarterbacking, you'd actually gain some traction with the american public.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Would be hilarious if he lessened controls on guns, and increased funding on preventing mental breakdowns. Oh wait... that wouldn't be hilarious, that would be expected in this situation. What would be hilarious is if he based his decisions off of the knee-jerk emotional reaction to what amounts to a very tiny number of American murder victims, with no voice for the other 97% killed with weapons that aren't guns.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrPraline

LOL This presdent was reelected in a electoral landslide and you want him to resign? On what basis? I'm proud he has the courage to deal with this issue in the face of so much opposition for a very vocal minority. Like it or not the majority of this country reelected this man and he hid nothing about what he planned to do in a second term. Maybe if you folks were about the organize the bat-sh!t party and actually find some time to have a platform instead of monday morning quarterbacking, you'd actually gain some traction with the american public.

Yusuke420
He was re-elected. But uhm. He had one serious opponent. A guy who was identical on foreign policy. On health care. On monetary policies. For all intents and purposes he was running against himself. Well, the clone was against gay marriage instead of being merely apathetic. Ok that's a difference.
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaJuicyMan

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] I'd be okay with it if he resigned.MrPraline

This.

I prefer to get my political preferences from dubstep.. Seriously though, Vinnie Paz believes the Illuminati is real :lol:
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hartsickdiscipl

Yusuke420

It's all about the $$$$$$$. Electoral landslide when the electoral college is a joke. Less than 20% of the people in the US voted for Obama.

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

Yusuke420

The constitution was designed to protect minorities.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrPraline
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Would be hilarious if he lessened controls on guns, and increased funding on preventing mental breakdowns. Oh wait... that wouldn't be hilarious, that would be expected in this situation. What would be hilarious is if he based his decisions off of the knee-jerk emotional reaction to what amounts to a very tiny number of American murder victims, with no voice for the other 97% killed with weapons that aren't guns.

That would be a reasonable solution. But Barack is all about knee jerk. All about emotional. All about exploiting tragedies to fuel his desire to ban guns. Well. not all guns. He is going to be protected by armed officers for life. The celebrities that acted in "DEMAND A PLAN" will too. All guns there. But the average wage slave should just bend over and f*ck off.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] I'd be okay with it if he resigned.dave123321

This.

Didn't you vote for him, Dave? I distinctly remember you saying that.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

MrPraline

He was re-elected. But uhm. He had one serious opponent. A guy who was identical on foreign policy. On health care. On monetary policies. For all intents and purposes he was running against himself. Well, the clone was against gay marriage instead of being merely apathetic. Ok that's a difference.

They did not have the same monitary policies, what are you talking about? Romney would have extended the Bush Tax cuts to EVERYONE instead of just those below 400k, then he would have DOUBLED spending on defense. Those are the major reasons he lost, did you not pay attention at all during the election?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrPraline

This.

DaJuicyMan

I prefer to get my political preferences from dubstep.. Seriously though, Vinnie Paz believes the Illuminati is real :lol:

There's plenty of things I don't agree with Vinnie on. But I thought it was pretty cool he admitted to being wrong after his god awful "All we need is Obama" line on their 2008 album.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Would be hilarious if he lessened controls on guns, and increased funding on preventing mental breakdowns. Oh wait... that wouldn't be hilarious, that would be expected in this situation. What would be hilarious is if he based his decisions off of the knee-jerk emotional reaction to what amounts to a very tiny number of American murder victims, with no voice for the other 97% killed with weapons that aren't guns.MrPraline
That would be a reasonable solution. But Barack is all about knee jerk. All about emotional. All about exploiting tragedies to fuel his desire to ban guns. Well. not all guns. He is going to be protected by armed officers for life. The celebrities that acted in "DEMAND A PLAN" will too. All guns there. But the average wage slave should just bend over and f*ck off.

Funny how that works. Self-propelled stomachs like Michael Moore who preach against guns and then hire armed guards are just fine. Obama's kids go to a school with 11 armed guards. Obviously he thinks that's a good solution to protect the children. It's good for him, but not for the American people. Such a hypocrite. Scary and dangerous.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

They did not have the same monitary policies, what are you talking about? Romney would have extended the Bush Tax cuts to EVERYONE instead of just those below 400k, then he would have DOUBLED spending on defense. Those are the major reasons he lost, did you not pay attention at all during the election?

I paid attention. Zoned out every now and then on account of it being such a puppet show and a joke. But a few cuts there and there do not really mean much. There wouldn't have been a real difference if Romney won in November. Just a different face.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Such a violation of the second amendment, if anything he should be legalizing tanks and F16s.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]Would be hilarious if he lessened controls on guns, and increased funding on preventing mental breakdowns. Oh wait... that wouldn't be hilarious, that would be expected in this situation. What would be hilarious is if he based his decisions off of the knee-jerk emotional reaction to what amounts to a very tiny number of American murder victims, with no voice for the other 97% killed with weapons that aren't guns.hartsickdiscipl

Funny how that works. Self-propelled stomachs like Michael Moore who preach against guns and then hire armed guards are just fine. Obama's kids go to a school with 11 armed guards. Obviously he thinks that's a good solution to protect the children. It's good for him, but not for the American people. Such a hypocrite. Scary and dangerous.

Yep, definitely.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JML897
Such a violation of the second amendment, if anything he should be legalizing tanks and F16s.GazaAli
Word
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

hartsickdiscipl

It's all about the $$$$$$$. Electoral landslide when the electoral college is a joke. Less than 20% of the people in the US voted for Obama.

People who refuse to participate in the electoral process, can not **** when they aren't being represented in the manner they see fit. It's silly to include people who don't vote in that estimate because A. we don't know how they would have voted and B. they chose to forgo their ability to inflence elections. Also ROMNEY outraised the president and still lost. Money couldn't buy the conservatives the election and now they are stamping their feet like a child having a tantrum.

FreddyJeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FreddyJeffery
[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

MrPraline

Obama was also agianst Gay marriage just that Romney wasn't a **** and didn't try to hide feelings for an easy election win. Obama has touched on the issue previously, he will change sides that give him the votes on many issues. Although Romney did not do this he was stupid. So what choice was there?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#50 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

People who refuse to participate in the electoral process, can not **** when they aren't being represented in the manner they see fit. It's silly to include people who don't vote in that estimate because A. we don't know how they would have voted and B. they chose to forgo their ability to inflence elections. Also ROMNEY outraised the president and still lost. Money couldn't buy the conservatives the election and now they are stamping their feet like a child having a tantrum.

I'm pretty sure Obama raised more money overall.