Nothing to see here...

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts

***Nothing to see here***

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts

well, this thread will more than likely be locked, since you decided to post her pic, instead of a link. I somewhat agree with your points. It is pretty big hypocrisy, but she more than likely objectified herself for a paycheck she needed. So i'm not going to judge her there. But from her blog, I took it as a release on objectifying women in general, not as a censorship for such games.

Might be reading too much into it on that side of things.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
IMO people can both wear shorts and a bikini and take issue with what they think of as objectifying women.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#4 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Why the hell would anyone want to look at her posing like that? Ewww, as if her personality wasn't a big enough turnoff. >_>
linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 linkyshinks

You really think they would lock this thread simply because I have posted a picture of her, one which is critical to this debate? :|

Look, Giant Bomb has had plenty of say on this already, when really this is the prime place for such dirty laundry to be aired. Gamespot should have their say, the community here. If I cannot raise this issue of contention among the masses here then something really is wrong here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I don't think I should say what I'm thinking. :oops:
johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts

You really think they would lock this thread simply because I have posted a picture of her, one which is critical to this debate? :|

Look, Giant Bomb has had plenty of say on this already, when really this is the prime place for such dirty laundry to be aired. Gamespot should have their say, the community here. If I cannot raise this issue of contention among the masses here then something really is wrong here.

linkyshinks

yes, not that I agree with it. Also, I do agree there is something wrong. It is hypocritical but like I said, the censorship of the game wasn't key issue of her post. She was speaking about her issues towards objectifying women. She just happened to mention a conversation that took place between her and Ryan.

Were you there to hear the whole thing? You can't really judge the merits of something like that from a mention in a blog post. But you can go right on fighting your fight. Just don't expect me to eat up all the ammunition you're firing.

Jacboy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacboy71
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
She is the worst hypocrit I have ever seen sexual harassment are you serious?!
linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 linkyshinks
The sexual harassment thing sparked me off too. I expected the edit to her Blog post to calm the responses with some inteligent opinion, but her reply for me did the exact opposite.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
Thats what you call a hypocrite. Women objectify men just as much in our society.
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
haha. this reminds how freaking little I care about this sort of stuff.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
She doesn't mind DoA, which does nothing but zoom in on boobs with incredibly bouncy physics, she doesn't mind Lara Croft even though she will start POSING in some games if you don't touch the control for a while, but women running around in bikinis during a zombie attack is not ok..... :?
So... you wouldn't get a bikini during a zombie attack, but you get a bikini top and some short shorts whenever you're playing joust. :roll:
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts

Thats what you call a hypocrite. Women objectify men just as much in our society.freshgman

Actually, one need only look to the advertising industry to realize how untrue this is.

I think that the transparency provided by Kristin in her blog is actually very interesting. She could have just pulled the game and NOT posted about it on her blog. Then you wouldn't know either way, and wouldn't be claiming "TEH CENSORSHIP"!

As a woman, I find it refreshing that a woman would stand up for something she found offensive. I might have chosen to air the segment and make a Seanbaby-esque flamefest out of it, but I am not Kristin.

wonderboy_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#14 wonderboy_46
Member since 2005 • 796 Posts

No one cared about this game before Kristin brought it up. That's a major part of this problem. If she had been less vocal then the interest in this game which she deems "offensive" would not be so intense.

Her past lifestyle choices void her argument as well. By posing in that photo she suggests its ok to parade around in a bikini if you're being paid for it, but then claims to be offended when others portray women the same way.

Massive double standards.

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 linkyshinks

She doesn't mind DoA, which does nothing but zoom in on boobs with incredibly bouncy physics, she doesn't mind Lara Croft even though she will start POSING in some games if you don't touch the control for a while, but women running around in bikinis during a zombie attack is not ok..... :?
So... you wouldn't get a bikini during a zombie attack, but you get a bikini top and some short shorts whenever you're playing joust. :roll:DeeJayInphinity

It really is some twisted logic I know. Itagaki's creations are a prime example of the objectifying of women.

Having the role she does on site I wonder what the hell she will object to next, and what game will suffer being taken off the show for nonsensical reasons.

How do members feel about E-mail questions being used as a means of putting a critical eye on such content?. She tried to round up support from female members, so that on the evening of the show she would make sure she selects questions that would highlight what she objected to. That really gets me wound up. OTS should not be a platform for this political crap. it's not her role on Gamespot to do this.

RytOnMn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RytOnMn
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
It's fair enough that she has those personal views, but to attempt to use her position in such a way? No, just no. And considering those pics of the past, absolutely no!
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Pathetic.
dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts

It's fair enough that she has those personal views, but to attempt to use her position in such a way? No, just no. And considering those pics of the past, absolutely no!RytOnMn

People can and do change... it's not entirely out of the question that through her modeling her views changed.

It's kind of shortsighted to assume to one snapshot of a person defines their entire life, or their views on things. Though the undisputable fact is that despite what her views are and were, that picture is making it a 100x harder for her to get her point across.

Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts
meh. Sex sells, and some women thinks that we are a sexist society... whoo :roll:
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

[QUOTE="RytOnMn"]It's fair enough that she has those personal views, but to attempt to use her position in such a way? No, just no. And considering those pics of the past, absolutely no!dbz345

People can and do change... it's not entirely out of the question that through her modeling her views changed.

It's kind of shortsighted to assume to one snapshot of a person defines their entire life, or their views on things. Though the undisputable fact is that despite what her views are and were, that picture is making it a 100x harder for her to get her point across.

But her opinions are not consistent..
Unless she's using what little power she has to pull the low-profile games, but doesn't have the power to pull some of the more popular games like DOA and Lara croft, so she shrugs them off as "not a huge problem."
And that's not fair, so either way, she loses.
RytOnMn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RytOnMn
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
I don't doubt people can change, and like I said, she's entitled to those views, but what will she accomplish going about it in such a way, and it's not just one pic, there's more at GB, but I don't care about those at all, it's using her position in this way that's the problem. Does the developer not deserve air time because of one persons views? That's what's out of order here.
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts

welcome to women world. whatever they say there right were wrong.

there one of the bigges hyprocrits in the world. Not sasying all women are but most are.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
While she's certainly entitled to her views, we all know the gaming industry is chock-full of piss-poor writing, stereotypes and cliches. So to focus on a single issue in a little-known Wii title is nothing short of ludicrous.
x_Martyr_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 x_Martyr_x
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
well thats very hypocritical of her.
stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

Anyone is entitled to believe what they want,but what I think is quite disturbing is the fact that she would abuse her position of power to potentially deny thousands of people the chance to hear about an upcoming game,because SHE has a problem with it.Besides being unbelievable arrogant and egotistical of her,it just ain't good customer service.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts

ZOMG bikini clad women?!?!?!?!? Call in the soccer moms this game hurts children

But seriously the game doesn't even look remotely entertaining, I think I'll stick to my Sexy Beach 3 instead

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 linkyshinks

Anyone is entitled to believe what they want,but what I think is quite disturbing is the fact that she would abuse her position of power to potentially deny thousands of people the chance to hear about an upcoming game,because SHE has a problem with it.Besides being unbelievable arrogant and egotistical of her,it just ain't good customer service.

stvee101

Certainly, it's clearly abuse of her position, which is why I was amazed when I saw her blog post promoting this abuse.

A moderator earlier in this thread says she should be commended (lol) for a transparency! LOL. There is no fricking attempt at being transparent here!, she was trying to round up support from female gamers to ABUSE her position! It's so very telling that this moderator also happens to be a woman.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

true the game may objectify women but you could say the same for any of the booth babes on game convention show floors, it's still part of gaming and should still be shown

Though i don't think she should have an opinion on this as a giantbomb membor. Games should not be ****d differently to other forms of media, the pictures show that either she's llieing/sarcastic here or she's just being a hypocrite, and there seem to be far too many of them around.

On a side note there are many games (espescially fighting) that show men completely topless, but she can't show a game that shows a women in a bikini?

Well from the amount of people that seem to dislike her in videos and such i don't think she'll be lasting much longer aat least on the videos. I don't mind her that much but the questions she asked in the E3 videos were very generic and showed a pretty small understanding of the games also in one of the videos she seemed much more intrested in the pproducer than the game.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

just thought of a solution, how about we start a petition to have no male nudity shown in on the spot?

there's tons of topless men in fighting games, why should they be viewed differently to women

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts

[QUOTE="RytOnMn"]It's fair enough that she has those personal views, but to attempt to use her position in such a way? No, just no. And considering those pics of the past, absolutely no!dbz345

"People don't change. For example, I'm gonna keep on repeating 'people don't change."-Dr. Greg House, MD lol

stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts
[QUOTE="stvee101"]

Anyone is entitled to believe what they want,but what I think is quite disturbing is the fact that she would abuse her position of power to potentially deny thousands of people the chance to hear about an upcoming game,because SHEhas a problem with it.Besides being unbelievable arrogant and egotistical of her,it just ain't good customer service.

linkyshinks

Certainly, it's clearly abuse of her position, which is why I was amazed when I saw her blog post promoting this abuse.

A moderator earlier in this thread says she should be commended (lol) for a transparency! LOL. There is no fricking attempt at being tansparent here!, she was trying to round up support from female gamers to ABUSEher position! It's so very telling that this moderator also happens to be a woman also.

Well I wouldn't expect anything less from the mods.(apart from one or two) I doubt they're even human lol,more like robots,towing the GS line no matter how ridiculous the situation.

Just for the record,I'm not against this because she's a woman who wants to make a point about the exploitation of females.No I'm against anyone who takes a posistion of power to further their own personal agenda,whatever that may be,and which adversly affects other people.

I mean she was going to "pull" the game because of personal reasons.What about the potential victims of her crusade? The GS members i.e the peole who pay her wages? The mind boggles.

michaontoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 michaontoaster
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
it's all a big plan to promote a new massive world-wide sex game... would play it if got taste & qualify, etc. the purpose will be to punish the stupid lady and more!
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
While she's certainly entitled to her views, we all know the gaming industry is chock-full of piss-poor writing, stereotypes and cliches. So to focus on a single issue in a little-known Wii title is nothing short of ludicrous. PBSnipes
I agree.
linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 linkyshinks
[QUOTE="linkyshinks"][QUOTE="stvee101"]

Anyone is entitled to believe what they want,but what I think is quite disturbing is the fact that she would abuse her position of power to potentially deny thousands of people the chance to hear about an upcoming game,because SHEhas a problem with it.Besides being unbelievable arrogant and egotistical of her,it just ain't good customer service.

stvee101

A moderator earlier in this thread says she should be commended (lol) for a transparency! LOL. There is no fricking attempt at being tansparent here!, she was trying to round up support from female gamers to ABUSEher position! It's so very telling that this moderator also happens to be a woman also.

Just for the record,I'm not against this because she's a woman who wants to make a point about the exploitation of females.No I'm against anyone who takes a posistion of power to further their own personal agenda, whatever that may be,and which adversly affects other people.

I am totally with you there. I would like to point out now that I actually really like Kristen as a person, and also for what she brings to GS aside from this. I think she provides a touch of zest that this site has for a while been needing since the exodus.

The wider opinion however that I am gaging is that her application on the site (OTS) is totally wrong... but I will not pass comment on that issue. On this matter, I just really dislike this kind of abuse of her role on Gamespot, especially given the recent past.

I for one and really looking forward to this Wii game, and to think that this game (!) could have so easily have been dropped is totally shocking to me. The show has after all in the past shown games with graphic content seen on Condemned 2 which is far far worse than a few bikini clad characters.

dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts

What I don't get is why she complains about it. Ok cause she took that picture for a modeling portfolio it's something different?

Let's type in "models" in google & yahoo and lets see what comes up.

This picture is no worse or less than the picture she took, in some cases her picture is worse cause she shows more skin than this woman does. I'm up for feminism and all, but even when you can't stick by the principles you cling onto and fight for something is very wrong.
ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
Meh it's gamespot they lost the plot.
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Whats the game called?

Theres notin sexier then a girl in a bikini killing zombies :oops:
linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 linkyshinks

Whats the game called?

Theres notin sexier then a girl in a bikini killing zombies :oops:
EVOLV3

Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers [Wii]

It looks weak from technical standpoint (yeah I know) but as far as playability it looks awesome, as well as very cool with it's almost God Hand like styl

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

the one thing that i find to be strange is that women that don't always raise flags about objectifying women don't really give a damn. My sister isn't much of a gamer but she's into fighting games and is pretty decent in DoA4. I've never heard her complain about the clothing. Frankly she is all for the different costumes and such. I think this issue is always blown out of proportion.

By the way what game was the lady complaining about?

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 linkyshinks

the one thing that i find to be strange is that women that don't always raise flags about objectifying women don't really give a damn. My sister isn't much of a gamer but she's into fighting games and is pretty decent in DoA4. I've never heard her complain about the clothing. Frankly she is all for the different costumes and such. I think this issue is always blown out of proportion.

By the way what game was the lady complaining about?

Nifty_Shark

Yeah women will not mind such content in games as long as they can play virtual dress up, lol.

The title of the game is in the above post of mine.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Simply put shes hypocritical, she has no problem with sailor moon a show thats no worse then this game, or batgirl which really is no worse then this game, or posing her self for such pictures that are no worse then this game.

As well she works for a site that has such advertisements as this.
http://www.theinsider.com/galleries/1195445_The_Sexiest_Magazine_Covers_Of_All_Time

there have been adverts just like this one in the lil section below our member areas up there ^ so why hasn't she boycotted this? probably cause money was paid.

dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts

"People don't change. For example, I'm gonna keep on repeating 'people don't change."-Dr. Greg House, MD lol

FUBAR24

To each his own.

I personally believe life experiences do indeed change one's view of certain things.

But her opinions are not consistent..
Unless she's using what little power she has to pull the low-profile games, but doesn't have the power to pull some of the more popular games like DOA and Lara croft, so she shrugs them off as "not a huge problem."
And that's not fair, so either way, she loses.DeeJayInphinity

I do agree that it does hint off inconsistency, but she's human. It could just be that something tipped her off to make her want to make a point against this certain game, and not the others. But I'm just guessing, but you have a good point.

Slaveways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Slaveways
Member since 2006 • 663 Posts
that chicks pretty hot
NearTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NearTheEnd
Member since 2002 • 12184 Posts

I don't care about hypocrisy or whatever. I agree with her blog post.

People need to take a serious look at how women are portrayed in one of the largest forms of media. Many people on this board will knock hip hop because of the "big booty hoes" attitude it sometimes has, but then go buy and play games that are coming from the exact same mindset. I can only think of a few games were women were portrayed as strong lead characters, and didn't just exist to satisfy the sexual appetites of teenage boys.

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

But she came clean about it >.> the game felt stupid and it made her uncomfortable and she didn't decide to just sit on that couch and giggle it up while hiding how she really felt... if she had done that, and made a blog AFTERWARDS complaining about that then I might have lost a little bit of respect for her. I didn't know she could actually stand up for an opinion of hers like that.

Lara Croft is NOT the same thing, I have to disagree there. Lara is a sex symbol (for some) but the games emphasize more on her ass-kicking than her curves, she's 90% Samus Aran and 10% zombie slayer in a bikini. You can admire Lara, the only good thoughts I have about the bikini zombie slayer... aren't PG-13 >__>

But Dead or Alive on the other hand... even Toby Gaard, the creator of Tomb Raider said: "...I don't think it's wrong or bad in any way, really, it just seems to be getting out of hand with the old Xtreme Beach ball scenarios. I think that's going a tad too far. That's not really empowering anyone."

I have to admit that it looks like she's choosing where to vent her frustration, if the game had been "bigger" or more well-known then we might not have had this scenario... that's the ONLY thing that bugs me.

But the fact that thousands of viewers were looking forward to seeing this game on OtS is BULLCRAP. I heard about it during E3 and I thought it was funny, so did some of the staff cause I saw them joking about it in a dozen different videos. But I bet nobody would have known if they had pulled it out of the show tonight, it would probably be replaced with something better anyway.

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
I don't know what to say, which usually means that I don't care. She can be a silly feminist all the wants, just don't let it affect the site.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#47 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Reply to post about what game it is because gamespot won't let me quote

I think one is coming to the 360 as well, they have been out awhile in Japan and the news story was posted awhile ago here saying both were coming out. (I think, unless I am thinking of another game)

But the fact that thousands of viewers were looking forward to seeing this game on OtS is BULLCRAP. I heard about it during E3 and I thought it was funny, so did some of the staff cause I saw them joking about it in a dozen different videos. But I bet nobody would have known if they had pulled it out of the show tonight, it would probably be replaced with something better anyway.

I was looking at 360 games released in Japan about a year ago and found it, I thought it seemed funny. I checked the forums for it to see if it was going to be released here and there were about two posts in there. I've never heard this game mentioned here except in the one GS article so you are most likely right.

As for the argument, I don't really care about the picture, it is as irrelevant to what is in the game as her talking about batgirl and bungie developers learning that their community sucks in her blog.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

To be honest, I didn't really like Kristin Reilly, at least from what I've seen of her in On the Spot. But your two threads as well as the reactions within them and on her blog and her response to them has changed my mind.

This is basically a glorified ad hominem attack. Where did this picture come from? So she wore a bikini in some... basement somewhere. A woman need not wear a burqa in order for her objections to the objectification of women in video games to be considered valid.

We have male users in her blog asserting that she only got a job at GameSpot because of her physical appearance. We have male users at Giant Bomb saying they'd like to punch and slap her. I think you've only further proved her point about sexism in the video game industry and community.

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 linkyshinks

I don't know what to say, which usually means that I don't care. She can be a silly feminist all the wants, just don't let it affect the site.Bloodbath_87

She is not being silly feminist as you put it, she actually does have some valid opinions, even if she has not put them across as well as she could have done. This thread is about her using and abusing her role on Gamespot for her own agenda, I think she is out of order for doing so.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

She is not being silly feminist as you put it, she actually does havesomevalid opinions, even if she has not put them across as well as she could have done.This thread is about her using and abusing her role on Gamespot for her own agenda, I think she is out of order for doing so.

linkyshinks

That's a rather surprising turn from you, considering that your response to someone who said they want to punch her in the face was: "Most of the men here would choose to slap her, elsewhere and for different reasons."

I suppose you do have some valid opinions though, even if you have put them across in a completely disrespectful way towards women. ;)