Not allowed to play Xbox anymore, how can I convince my parents?

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#101 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6113 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="Snazzymacguy"] I know I'm mature enough even though I'm 14. Bardock47

Wow, you sound dumb, even for a 14 year-old. You aren't mature. I'm almost 27 and I'm not mature. There is never a point at which maturity reaches a peak. One keeps learning and growing no matter how old they get. You are still a very young child who knows practically nothing about the world. You feel entitled to play games intended for adults because you have this false sense of maturity brought on by being able to "handle" the content. Can you actually handle it? Can you understand it all and the implications the themes set forth in the game actually mean? Considering your posting style, I'm guessing you are not a child prodigy who is extremely well-read and has at least some contextual understanding of these things through exposure to more adult-oriented, advanced literature. When I was 13/14, I thought playing Metal Gear Solid and GTAIII was "cool" because it was M-rated and violent. Not until I became an adult, and after many life experiences and increased knowledge through post-secondary learning, that I was finally able to grasp the underlying meanings of certain games and their stories and settings. Grow up, accept the fact you are your parents' child, and respect their decisions they are making for you now. You have four more years before you are able to be autonomous and make your own decisions for yourself. "But I can't wait that long!" you'll cry. Just wait, soon time will fly by so quickly, you'll want it to slow down.

Seriously, this. Use this chance to hangout with friends and be social. Don't worry about games, they'll come in time. Hell, a lot can even change in just a few years time. Your parents may change in a couple years. Till then, just have fun with your pals and enjoy school.

These two answers are right on point.Your only 14,and to you,your mature enough to play mature rated games,in witch,your ONLY 14.You say your mom does not understand your point and you should be able to play Xbox 360.I think your mom knows more then you give her credit for.She saw your grades fail and make a little more progress a year later,oviously not enough progress in your school work.I'm guessing she saw the ESRB rating and seen the game Call of Duty,Battlefield,etc.... is in fact a rated 17 year old or over to play such games.May I just say,I am 38 years old man and I still need growing up.I wish I was in your age group and start over.My point being,14 years of age,give a few years of maturity and you will see our point a little clearer,maybe not completly but better.Good Luck in the future.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#102 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
I "like" the genre of FPS. All the others I dislike, that's just my taste. Snazzymacguy
Is it because they are all linear and scripted that require no intelligence? Do you even know who Obama is?
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#103 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

In 10, 20, years you're probably going to have alot of regrets, but not playing enough Xbox is not going to be among them.

Storm_Marine

This is actually great advice. As cliche as it sounds TC, being your age is awesome and you shouldn't be spending all your free time playing video games which it sounds like you do.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#104 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Wait until you're old enough to make your own decisions and then they can't do jack sh!t.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#105 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Videogames are design for Genius .... not for idiots
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#106 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
You're better off without them distracting you. All you have to do now is be a student. It might sound crappy and you might dislike it but wait till you have to start searching for real work. Isn't it giving you a hint that without them in your life your grades have dramatically improved?
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Cool story. 

I am 14, and am allowed to play M games, so I can relate to you. I haven't gotten them taken away though(have gotten good grades all the time), my parents are very much for freedom. Not like, I can go anywhere I want, but things that I can do in the house. My parents let me explore in life, I love them for that:).

I wouldn't have half the hobbies I have now. Things like headphones and tea. 

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#108 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Get yourself emancipated.

RedCore119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 RedCore119
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

Don't

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

So many squares in this thread :lol:.. Dude it's good you're doing good.. Try to do well in school and play games.. and not because of your parents but because you want to.. but remember to try to have fun.. High school is a bunch of bs and means hardly anything once you get into college. I did bad in high school and got into a good college and got straight A's all year.. you have a long life to worry about shit.. Try to enjoy life now., work at school... but don't let it run your life.

codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#111 codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts
why dont you make friends and play games at their house?...
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

>14

Implying you were ever suppose to play those games anyway.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts

So many squares in this thread :lol:.. Dude it's good you're doing good.. Try to do well in school and play games.. and not because of your parents but because you want to.. but remember to try to have fun.. High school is a bunch of bs and means hardly anything once you get into college. I did bad in high school and got into a good college and got straight A's all year.. you have a long life to worry about shit.. Try to enjoy life now., work at school... but don't let it run your life.

The_Lipscomb
there are better things in life than COD
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
Hard to tell if this is a joke thread or not.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

0Hamburgher

I know, but take it easy when youre under 18 lol
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#116 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

Your grades improved after they took it away so it wasn't a bad deal. The only time video games can jack up your grades is if you play way more than you study and that's bad. I don't know if you did that but if so, try to ask if you can play them but in moderation. If you still can't then that sucks. However, It's not really a bad thing though. Seems like it but you can't really complain too much if your grades are getting better. And at least you can still play your PC. Education>>>Games. Your ed will help you in life, games can't.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Start reading and catching up on movies and TV you missed out when you played garbage like COD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Take this as an opportunity to learn that video games aren't the best thing in life.

Ackad
Well said. Video games are a waste of time. Use the time to make friends.

What stupid advice, you don't even know his situation, why is video game time and freinds mutually exclusive. wtf is going on in this forum for comments like this to appear? its a gaming forum for gods sake.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#119 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

0Hamburgher

like WoW?
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Just keep doing well in school, help out around the house, and don't whine about it. You'll be rewarded for being a good kid.

bmaw69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121 bmaw69
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
It's time to tighten up that A game bro. I can make you into the man you want to be. Do you want hot chicks, or do you want to be a pimply faced nerd like everyone here? You can either keep playing your xbox or join the team bro. It's all up to you.
LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
I think that you need to focus more in school and prove to them that you can keep your grades up. After that they may allow you to have it back.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#123 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Get a PS3, it's better for your health and your entertainment life.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#124 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

run away

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Their House, Their Rules. You don't like it ? Then you're welcome to move out. And believe me when I say Fairness or Logic doesn't factor in that Equation.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
I think that you need to focus more in school and prove to them that you can keep your grades up. After that they may allow you to have it back. LAN7ERN
Hopefully, but heres what I've learned from my parents. If they want you to have good grades then this is their logic

Console = Bad Grades.

No Console = Better Grades.

Lucky for me I was either a Genius or Retarted (either one is cool for me) so when they took my sh!t I didn't improve Squat, and Guess who got their sh!t back :) . I live for these tiny victories, especialy considering taking my stuff use to work when I was 13, I should've been stronger back then, anyways now I'm 21 and I have too much PRIDE to let myself be manipulated like that by ANYONE, ever again. I ain't nobody's B!tch, but I keep a low profile just in Case.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="0Hamburgher"][QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

Allicrombie

like WoW?

still crap

meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

Tell them if you don't get to play you are going to join a gang and go smack some hos. 

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#129 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

its okay time to stop playing an xbox. the next one is sh!t

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Get a PS4

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Your grades dramatically improved after your Xbox got taken away. Clearly your parent's made the right call. It's probably best to remain that way.

worlock77

this.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#132 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
[QUOTE="Snazzymacguy"] I know I'm mature enough even though I'm 14. Zeviander
Wow, you sound dumb, even for a 14 year-old. You aren't mature. I'm almost 27 and I'm not mature. There is never a point at which maturity reaches a peak. One keeps learning and growing no matter how old they get. You are still a very young child who knows practically nothing about the world. You feel entitled to play games intended for adults because you have this false sense of maturity brought on by being able to "handle" the content. Can you actually handle it? Can you understand it all and the implications the themes set forth in the game actually mean? Considering your posting style, I'm guessing you are not a child prodigy who is extremely well-read and has at least some contextual understanding of these things through exposure to more adult-oriented, advanced literature. When I was 13/14, I thought playing Metal Gear Solid and GTAIII was "cool" because it was M-rated and violent. Not until I became an adult, and after many life experiences and increased knowledge through post-secondary learning, that I was finally able to grasp the underlying meanings of certain games and their stories and settings. Grow up, accept the fact you are your parents' child, and respect their decisions they are making for you now. You have four more years before you are able to be autonomous and make your own decisions for yourself. "But I can't wait that long!" you'll cry. Just wait, soon time will fly by so quickly, you'll want it to slow down.

If you're not mature at 27 you should get your head checked. But 14 is idd a child especially if it's a boy (girls mature faster than boys) I would never let my kid play 18+ games at 14. However he could play 12+ games.And only a couple of hours a day during weekdays.
Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
Rioichi21Cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#133 Rioichi21Cooper
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

Your grades dramatically improved after your Xbox got taken away. Clearly your parent's made the right call. It's probably best to remain that way.

worlock77
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I wish all parents understand how important gaming is as a brain stimulant that increases intellect. It's a shame that you have to go through this unnecessary intellectual deprivation just because of ignorance about this subject.

The most dangereous misconception under which parents often fall about this subject is the thought of; "we turned out fine without gaming, surely our kids would too".

Those parents unfortunately force their kids to develop mentally acording to their own slow and old timelines whereas other kids (that belong to a more informed parents) get to enjoy the intellectual advantage of modern advancements.

It is indeed sad to see a lot of short sighted parents put their kids at a mental disadvantage competing in a future society against others who fully developed according to their modern timelines.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Get better grades.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Troll

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
OP, if I were you, I'd just give your parents the cold shoulder. They sound insane compared to any parents I've ever experienced. I'd consider just stop doing school work too. You're truly at a point where it literally makes no difference to you at all. In fact, it might be to your advantage to show a grade increase further on in high school (to demonstrate that you're someone who's capable of improving). You're a little too old to be controlled by your parents in such a way IMO, you're at the age where you can decide how you'll spend your free time. You need to be learning how to manage your free time on your own, not having some-one else manage it for you. You either set them straight or you're stuck living with tyrants for the next years. Kids with overcontrolling parents typically grow up to have relationship issues, so...
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#138 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

When I was 14, the most violent game I was playing was Bonk's Adventure and the most technologically advanced PC game I was playing was the first Wing Commander, so my sympathy for you complaining that you aren't allowed to play Call of Duty is pretty much non-existent.

You are 14, and being 14 you will from time to time be subject to rules imposed by your parents that you do not feel are fair. That's tough, but that's the way it is. When my boys turn 14, they will absolutely NOT be allowed to play Mature rated games unless I have personally cleared them as being OK. CoD is not a game I would clear.

The fact is, at this age you probably -should- be out doing other things rather than playing video games all the time. Get through high school at least, have a social life, work a job, etc. I played games when I was your age but I had a life beyond that. I took care of what I needed to take care of, and as a result for most of my adult life I've had the ability to buy every game/console I want.

-Byshop

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
OP, if I were you, I'd just give your parents the cold shoulder. They sound insane compared to any parents I've ever experienced. I'd consider just stop doing school work too. You're truly at a point where it literally makes no difference to you at all. In fact, it might be to your advantage to show a grade increase further on in high school (to demonstrate that you're someone who's capable of improving). You're a little too old to be controlled by your parents in such a way IMO, you're at the age where you can decide how you'll spend your free time. You need to be learning how to manage your free time on your own, not having some-one else manage it for you. You either set them straight or you're stuck living with tyrants for the next years. Kids with overcontrolling parents typically grow up to have relationship issues, so...KHAndAnime
I really can't tell if this post is sarcastic or not. The parents are clearly trying to do their job; it is far from over-controlling.
Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#140 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1583 Posts
yes, it is wrong for them to take it away from you, but its also right. I mean you just admitted you had bad grades when playing the Xbox but good grades without it. I'm no parent, but i and others can easily tell your parents love you and want the best for you. You may somewhat hate your parents for taking the Xbox, but when your older, you will thank them because not only did it keep you away from it, but you ended up leaving school with awesome grades. It will be you who ends up finding a good job, earning good money and by then, you can either take back the Xbox or life your life without it. Trust me when i say your parents did the right thing. Maybe they can give it back to you once a month or on special occasions like birthday, christmas etc. Yes it will be annoying, but what are the chances that you will go back to the Xbox and get bad grades. So many people these days spend more time on games than doing homework, The parents of those who are doing bad in my eyes have bad parents. Your parents are good because they knew you could prove yourself to do better and you did just that. Just have faith and maybe one day when the time is right, they will give it back to you. Until then, keep learning, do well, get brilliant grades and know your parents did it for the right reason. Its the same with me when my dad took away my TV, PS2 and Gameboy. and other things. My dad and your parents did it for different reasons of course, but either way, your grades and getting a good job is more important than having an Xbox. Do you really want to work in retail and suffer under hard labour because you ended up with such awful grades?
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="Snazzymacguy"] I know I'm mature enough even though I'm 14. evildead6789

If you're not mature at 27 you should get your head checked. But 14 is idd a child especially if it's a boy (girls mature faster than boys) I would never let my kid play 18+ games at 14. However he could play 12+ games.And only a couple of hours a day during weekdays.

Look who's 14, with a 3.7 GPA, and plays M-rated games? Me. Let them try some M-rated games at least, see how it affects them..
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
tf2 is better than any games on the xbox anyway, so just keep playing that.
ALovelyHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 ALovelyHorse
Member since 2013 • 474 Posts
tf2 is better than any games on the xbox anyway, so just keep playing that.Lonelynight
I like your sig, I'm into trannies too.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]tf2 is better than any games on the xbox anyway, so just keep playing that.ALovelyHorse

who's dupe are you?
ALovelyHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 ALovelyHorse
Member since 2013 • 474 Posts
[QUOTE="ALovelyHorse"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"]tf2 is better than any games on the xbox anyway, so just keep playing that.Lonelynight

who's dupe are you?

JodyR's.
pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="Zeviander"] Wow, you sound dumb, even for a 14 year-old. You aren't mature. I'm almost 27 and I'm not mature. There is never a point at which maturity reaches a peak. One keeps learning and growing no matter how old they get. You are still a very young child who knows practically nothing about the world. You feel entitled to play games intended for adults because you have this false sense of maturity brought on by being able to "handle" the content. Can you actually handle it? Can you understand it all and the implications the themes set forth in the game actually mean? Considering your posting style, I'm guessing you are not a child prodigy who is extremely well-read and has at least some contextual understanding of these things through exposure to more adult-oriented, advanced literature. When I was 13/14, I thought playing Metal Gear Solid and GTAIII was "cool" because it was M-rated and violent. Not until I became an adult, and after many life experiences and increased knowledge through post-secondary learning, that I was finally able to grasp the underlying meanings of certain games and their stories and settings. Grow up, accept the fact you are your parents' child, and respect their decisions they are making for you now. You have four more years before you are able to be autonomous and make your own decisions for yourself. "But I can't wait that long!" you'll cry. Just wait, soon time will fly by so quickly, you'll want it to slow down.Wolfetan

Look who's 14, with a 3.7 GPA, and plays M-rated games? Me. Let them try some M-rated games at least, see how it affects them..

A 3.7 isn't even that great, especially freshman year of High School. It would be good if you were in college. Anyway, I'd let my kid play games as long as he/she studied his/her ass off and at least tried to do well in school. They could be M-rated games as long as I felt that they were mature enough.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
Download Unity 3d free and learn how to program C# and create your own games. Make them as bloody as you want. Or take the time to enjoy other great things in life, like go on a date with a girl or a guy(which ever you pref) and become a smoochy legend of your area. Or argue with them with questions like "You're ok with my brain being rotted by watching MTV shows like date my mom and Jersey Shore, but me klikking a button to do a raycast(what is used to do hit detection in most games) to detect if I hit a group of polygon-colliders is bad?" Or take up pogostick jumping, learn how to do a backflip from the roof of your parents car and blame it on them that they told you to learn and exercise more. Just a few suggestions.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
it's easy you were playing violent games and you got bad grades they took away violent games and you got good grades so what kind of message are you sending your parents?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
tf2 is better than any games on the xbox anyway, so just keep playing that.Lonelynight
bs
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Start getting bad grades again