Need motorcycle advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts
-I'm about to buy my first sportbike (a used Suzuki GSX-R 600 with aftermarket exhaust and some other aftermarket pieces) -I don't know how to ride but I'm going to learn; several people tell me not to get a 600 cc bike as a beginner but I'll feather the throttle and be extremely careful (I'm a very cautious driver) -What should I look for when I'm inspecting the bike beyond the usual brake pads, chain, etc.?
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Check the frame and make sure that there are no kinks in it. Check the welds to ensure no cracks. Cracks in the paint are a tell tale sign that something could be wrong underneath it.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts

Check the frame and make sure that there are no kinks in it. Check the welds to ensure no cracks. Cracks in the paint are a tell tale sign that something could be wrong underneath it.

WhiteKnight77

Thanks for the tip.  I'll also check the tires and lift up the seat to check the battery but if anyone else has more suggestions, I welcome them.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Make sure to wear a helmet when you drive.
mightlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mightlife
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Sounds like you're in the U.S. Check Rideapart.com for some worthwhile information for the new rider or search Google for 'buying a used motorcycle' (or similar) for a collection of tips. - https://www.google.com/search?%7Bgoogle:acceptedSuggestion%7Doq=buying+a+used+motorcycle&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=buying+a+used+motorcycle I've bought and sold about 9 different bikes (personal use) and the best things I can say are - 1. Be prepared to walk away - you have the money (purchasing power); or if there is something suspicious, leave it - there will always be another bike. 2. Bring a knowledgeable friend - someone who knows there stuff in this situation is worth a lot. 3. Never, ever buy a stolen bike or bike part. Do not be part of the problem. When you're there and the bike is grumbling away in front of you, all sense goes out the window and you might make a hasty decision (done it a couple of times ;) . ---- On another note - Learning about the power curve of a 600cc sportsbike will help - they are most responsive and fun at the higher RPM ranges, but tend to be less so lower down. Join a local group of bikers/ riders and go on rideouts with them - learn from the experienced riders, most of them will be happy to help (but be ready to listen to many different view points). There is nothing like biking, I should have started much sooner. So go for it! BTW, you WILL eventually come off (irrespective of the bike you ride). Wear appropriate clothing.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
Make sure to wear a helmet when you drive. themajormayor
I was gonna say the same. If you're not wearing a helmet and crash, you're almost guaranteed to either die or live with severe brain damage.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

as another had said. bring someone knowledgeable who can take a look and maybe give the bike a quick ride. check the fork seals as well to make sure they're in good condition. you should be fine w/ a 600 as a beginner. my first bike was an old cbr 600 and i had no problems with it.  just don't be stupid

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

-I'm about to buy my first sportbike (a used Suzuki GSX-R 600 with aftermarket exhaust and some other aftermarket pieces) -I don't know how to ride but I'm going to learn; several people tell me not to get a 600 cc bike as a beginner but I'll feather the throttle and be extremely careful (I'm a very cautious driver) -What should I look for when I'm inspecting the bike beyond the usual brake pads, chain, etc.?GalvatronType_R

Don't get a 600cc sport bike as our first bike. you will wreck it, you will hur yourself.

Also, All gear all the time. Don't EVER ride in a t-shirt.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
ALWAYS make sure to ask if they've ever dropped the bike. You should be able to tell, but just in case I always ask.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
before you buy your bike, there's classes that get you the special license needed to ride a motorcycle, take one of those first as it'll teach you basic safety and bike handling, and at least for the ones offered for me locally they give you a bike to learn on so you don't need your own, they might have something comparable to what you want
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
I'd imagine most states have laws requiring one. Anyhow, yes a helmet, one that fits well that offers great protection, and don't forget eye gear too, you need something to protect eyes, wind will dry them out, stuff on the road will hit your face, like bugs, sometimes rocks, it stings but is bearable but imagine it hitting your eye. Anyhow, if you're getting something like what you're saying I'd say a full helmet with the face shield visor should do well on both fronts. But again, make sure it fits well.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

-I'm about to buy my first sportbike (a used Suzuki GSX-R 600 with aftermarket exhaust and some other aftermarket pieces) -I don't know how to ride but I'm going to learn; several people tell me not to get a 600 cc bike as a beginner but I'll feather the throttle and be extremely careful (I'm a very cautious driver) -What should I look for when I'm inspecting the bike beyond the usual brake pads, chain, etc.?GalvatronType_R
don't do it.

your 1st bike should be a cheap ass used on road off road bike like a dr 400.

you need to get out in the gravel and the mud and drop it about 50 times doing doughnuts and wheelies and getting it up in the air and generally just goofing around and having fun.

that teaches you not to panic the 1st time you hit wet leaves or gravel that washes out into the street after a rainstorm.

do it your way and you are just asking for a tragedy.

get something like this 1st.

th?id=H.5018481329112987&pid=15.1

learn to ride and then get anything you want safe in the confidence you are not going to demolish it in a minor incident that you could have easily avoided with more practice.

that time on slick unpredictable surfaces is super valuable.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

boom found one.

the perfect starter bike.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Suzuki-Dr-Z-400-110632112

2005 Suzuki Dr-Z 110632112 large photo

$2,200.

get something like that and i guarantee you will have more fun than you would on the sport bike, plus you learn to ride in any situation and that knowledge will be valuable to you when the "oh shyt" event occurs that every rider faces on almost a daily basis.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Make sure to wear a helmet when you drive. lamprey263
I'd imagine most states have laws requiring one.

Actually, you'd be surprised. Most states require helmets for minors, but once you hit 18 you can go without one. Here's the list.
CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts
This, my dad wrecked his Harley and was thankfully wearing a full face helmet. Whole right side of it was cracked and messed up, he was fine.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Gear up.

If you're going into a training center, then go ahead and get any bike you want. If you're training on your own however, I'm not sure about it.

Personally, my first bike was a 1300cc BMW Sport and I rode it perfectly fine, but I did train on a 100cc bike with instructors and I fell about 3 times trying to master countersteering.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

I can't emphasize on how important this is, don't just wear any helmet, make sure you have a GOOD helmet that covers your entire face.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Make sure to wear a helmet when you drive. TehFuneral

I can't emphasize on how important this is, don't just wear any helmet, make sure you have a GOOD helmet that covers your entire face.

i'm always surprised by how many ppl i see wearing tiny little plastic shells that cover maybe 30% of their head when riding... i just imaging them smashing their faces into the street wearing that..