Music's Movement Toward the Electronic Era - How do you feel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

Maybe I'm making most of this up, but I wanted to cast a thought I've been having out there. I'm only 21 so I probably don't have enough perspective for this kind of arcing observation, but I'll give it a try.

Oh, and, P.S. just because I'm posting links to music doesn't mean I'm trying to broadcast my interests. I'm not, there here for observation.

I know a lot of musically gifted people, although I don't consider myself to be one beyond the drum set. Hearing someone who's incredibly skilled at the guitar is a cool experience, they're able to essentially sing through the instrument, leaning on notes and accentuating notes much like vocalist can.

House music transported the idea of melody carried by a DJ with synthesizors. The effect is nice (here's a good example). However, the ability to convey sentimentality, the ability to "sing" through these technologies was not developed until the past decade. Now, artists can make sounds that are more expressive and convey a songs theme or tone. This Skrillex song does a good job of showing this off (around 0:33).

Many popular bands today are choosing to combine electronics with real instruments, or have a DJ with a live singer. Some examples of this stuff:

Crystal Castles - "Untrust Us"

Foster The People - "Houdini"

Phantogram - "Mouthful of Diamonds"

I dunno'.

Whadda' you guys think.

SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
Whadda' you guys think.NAPK1NS
Indifferent. I stay far away from mainstream music anyway.
SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
House music transported the idea of melody carried by a DJ with synthesizors.NAPK1NS
Industrial music did it years before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7j-kGYHxr4
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

I dunno. At the moment at least, I'm still stuck in the 90s. lol

Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Reed_Bowie
Member since 2011 • 506 Posts
I doesn't matter. It's not like other genres aren't going to be made. I also tend to stay away from music that's very popular and promoted by the media.
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Don't really care.
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Don't really care.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The movement towards the electronic era doesn't bother me. What is kind of vexing, however, is how cheap mainstream electronic music sounds these days.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]House music transported the idea of melody carried by a DJ with synthesizors.SteverXIII
Industrial music did it years before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7j-kGYHxr4

Yeah, I don't claim to be a music historian. That's a pretty cool sound they have, though.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts
Some good...some bad just like other genres.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

electronic music still has a colder tone than acoustic, but thats still fine. not every piece of music needs to be that personal and more tools available to artists is certainly a good thing.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i like electronic music

and crystal castles makes gr8 music :>

also something like dis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP2YBVp77OQ

or dis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbTj7fFU1U

lemaitre makes gud music

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts

I have mixed feelings. I dont like a lot of it but then you get artists like Royksopp, Robyn, Yello, Tricky and The Future Sound of London who utilize electronic very well. Unfortunately most pop artists these days make electronic music sound dull and lifeless. I like the combo of electronic and orchestral or various other instruments. Makes the music sound more alive and layered. It all depends on how well it's done.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

The 'affodable synth' came to be in the post punk/nu-wave era and was initially much derided as a serious instrument. If we're talking largely main-stream music there hasn't really been a shift towards the synth, rather it merely ebbs and flows in popularity since its emergence. At the moment you hear quite a lot of heavily processed' dance-orientated music due to the popularity of the genre, particularly in the US. A few years ago we had a little Brit pop movement which a synth wasn't used, harking back to post punk garage, or perhaps used sparingly using the likes Joy Division as a reference. Before that we had grunge, which countered the synth pop and hair metal of the latter 80s.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I have always enjoyed music with synthesizers and really love electronica now. I didn't have a sense of what was good and bad years ago, but I have a better handle now.

I'm sure there will be more and more "musicians" thinking they have the ability to make music and a buck, but there will always be those truly gifted who use the media to make great sounds.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Some good...some bad just like other genres.LJS9502_basic
This. It seems like the dubstep fad is starting to die down, though, so that's a good thing.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Some good...some bad just like other genres.LJS9502_basic
Pretty much this, though I'm yet to hear a dubstep song I like, I just dislike some more than others.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Oh, ABSOLUTELY electronic music has been revived, more like the 80's are back, if anything. It started around the beginnings of the 2000's, with Coldplay, The Killers, Franz, Keane, Interpol, among many others. I absolutely welcome synthesizers in combination with other instruments. Why not?

I am a big 80's fan, as well as the revival of that new wave/post punk sound. Bring it on.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

The way I see it; if the technology is there, people are going to use it no matter what. The technology out today can add different types of flair and effects to music that artists wouldn't necessarily have been able to do back then, so in that sense I do appreciate it. I never really understood why so many people blame technology for the "decrease" in the quality of music today as it really isn't the reason why popular music has taken a nosedive. There are a lot of good underground artists out there that play good music and make use of the new equipment available to them.

Music evolves; simple as that. I started embracing it all a while back, and I realized how much I was limiting myself before that.

I will agree though that the mainstream "electronic" music on the charts right now though is sh!t and should wholeheartedly be avoided.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I don't mind it necessarily because I think it can be used in a good way, I just haven't heard a lot of good music that really uses electronic sounds outside of video game music and few random songs. One thing that I hate about the electronic era of music is how so many groups are using dubstep. That stuff is trash, and I have yet to hear one exception to that.