Man records simpsons on mobile, could get 5 years in jail.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/17/2007852.htm?section=justin

Some guy over here recorded the simpsons movie on his mobile and uploaded it to the internet. He is looking at 5 years in jail.

Now, in this country you can get away with murder with only around 6 years in jail, or drunked manslaughter will give you just 3 years or less.

Is 5 years in jail enough for this young man? 100,000 people downloaded this poor quality(mobile recording) uploaded movie. Should they go to jail for 5 years too?

Piracy is a problem, and some would say it is necessarily to make examples of unfortunate individuals dumb enough to get caught, but sadly it has no effect whatsoever on the overall problem, this is just a case of one dumb little man getting done in by big business.

Marty_McFly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Marty_McFly_
Member since 2007 • 881 Posts
I'm against piracy 100% so you know what I'm going to say.
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gangans

I'm against piracy 100% so you know what I'm going to say.Marty_McFly_

Death penalty?

Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts
Good for them in prosecuting him.
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gangans
Now lets hope they get serious and prosecute everyone who ever downloaded an mp3 illegally. These half-baked efforts just won't do. As I said to deal with the problem you must target everyone, not just easy to get individuals.
makaveli2344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 makaveli2344
Member since 2007 • 3106 Posts

Now all those victims who downloaded his poor quality movie will have some closure

also, that movie blows.

xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
They gotta do what they gotta do
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
that sounds harsh....paying a huge fine sounda bout right....but 5 years in jail? thats just out of proportion
-Rail_Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Rail_Man-
Member since 2007 • 1508 Posts
It's just a movie and not a very good one at that.
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
jail and/or community service is ridiculous. make him pay a fine, if anything.
-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
Jail Time for that? WTF!?1!?1?1!?1?1
CheddarLimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 CheddarLimbo
Member since 2006 • 3909 Posts

As far as that company is concerned stealing from them is as bad as killing someone, so yeah, they're going to prosecute to the full extent of the law.

business is business.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
No, but it's usually the people that can line the pockets of government officials the best that get the best treatment. In this case, the entertainment industry.
PanPizza15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 PanPizza15
Member since 2006 • 1485 Posts
If I were him, I would leave the country and hide in China. Piracy is huge there.
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#17 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts

Now lets hope they get serious and prosecute everyone who ever downloaded an mp3 illegally. These half-baked efforts just won't do. As I said to deal with the problem you must target everyone, not just easy to get individuals.Gangans

So, warrantless internet tapping for all!

romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 romocop33

As far as that company is concerned stealing from them is as bad as killing someone, so yeah, they're going to prosecute to the full extent of the law.

business is business.

CheddarLimbo

somehow i doubt that. it's not like someone who intends to see the movie is going to watch a crappy cell phone video of it instead of going to a theatre. if anything, the people that watched his video never intended to see it in theatres in the first place.

lovemenow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 lovemenow
Member since 2005 • 8001 Posts

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/17/2007852.htm?section=justin

Some guy over here recorded the simpsons movie on his mobile and uploaded it to the internet. He is looking at 5 years in jail.

Now, in this country you can get away with murder with only around 6 years in jail, or drunked manslaughter will give you just 3 years or less.

Is 5 years in jail enough for this young man? 100,000 people downloaded this poor quality(mobile recording) uploaded movie. Should they go to jail for 5 years too?

Piracy is a problem, and some would say it is necessarily to make examples of unfortunate individuals dumb enough to get caught, but sadly it has no effect whatsoever on the overall problem, this is just a case of one dumb little man getting done in by big business.

Gangans

you are soo right..far more extreme crimes out there but it seems that when it comes to money the gov cares more about that than a man raping a child for 4 years and getting only 60 days in jail

Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts

Wasn't very smart of the guy to do. C'mon, on a freaking cell phone?

And nowadays DVD's for movies come out in no time.

Avatar image for supermetroidfan
supermetroidfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 supermetroidfan
Member since 2004 • 19767 Posts

At advanced screenings of movies they don't allow people to have cellphones with a camera.

This is pretty lamesauce though. 5 years in jail. BS

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
It's better then paying for ridiculous movie prices.
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts

business is business.

CheddarLimbo

could you tell me what your sig is from? it looks so damn familiar from when i was a kid. anyway about this topic, the guy should have to pay a fine, not go to jail. what he did helped people watch the movie for free instead of paying the company, so wouldnt it be better to make him match the costs? putting him in jail isnt going to replace what he stole. hundreds of other people have it now, and they could eachsend it out to hundreds more people.

lugiemojeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lugiemojeed
Member since 2004 • 8785 Posts
It was on a mobile phone so i think he should be punish but 5yrs is too much
JoshXXXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshXXXXX
Member since 2005 • 16657 Posts
I could imagine some sort of large fine...but 5 years in jail? Wow. :|
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 romocop33
he should be punished merely because he pirated it in such a half-assed, low-quality manner.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

The reason why they are prosecuting him is because he was dumb enough to upload a movie of such high profile. 100,000 x $10 is a lot of money, the movie company isn't going to let that fly without putting up a fight.

-OpaK-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -OpaK-
Member since 2006 • 2728 Posts

Now lets hope they get serious and prosecute everyone who ever downloaded an mp3 illegally. These half-baked efforts just won't do. As I said to deal with the problem you must target everyone, not just easy to get individuals.Gangans

please dont say that:cry:

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
So what did you get thrown in here for? Oh i recorded the Simpson's movie on a mobile phone.
cokessweet7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 cokessweet7777
Member since 2006 • 1989 Posts

5 years.

that sucks.

i could see like some community service and a fine.

but that is rediculous

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YourOldFriend
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts
A huge fine seems more appropriate relative to other punishments in the country, though I think jailtime is a good thing as well. They should get an estimate on how many people downloaded his (crappy) copy and charge him the estimated "loss of profits."
MonkeyMan8708

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonkeyMan8708
Member since 2003 • 2712 Posts

Jail time? No

Community Service? Yes

hummer700

I agree with this man.

portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 portujoel5
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

business is business.

CheddarLimbo

that company didn't lose anything... those people who DL it prob won't see it in theaters or buy DVD... so... whats the loss?

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DeeJayInphinity
[QUOTE="CheddarLimbo"]

business is business.

portujoel5

that company didn't lose anything... those people who DL it prob won't see it in theaters or buy DVD... so... whats the loss?

It's theft.. that's like saying that most americans wont ever buy a Mercedes so they should steal them anyway. :|

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#35 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
wow sucks for him
YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 YourOldFriend

If they didn't pay, they didn't deserve to see it, so they should be charged after (or at least someone should be). That's pretty much my take, although I'm a hypocrite.

portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 portujoel5
[QUOTE="portujoel5"][QUOTE="CheddarLimbo"]

business is business.

DeeJayInphinity

It's theft.. that's like saying that most americans wont ever buy a Mercedes so they should steal them anyway. :|

different... tottally... bits... cars... nvm..

CheddarLimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CheddarLimbo
[QUOTE="CheddarLimbo"]

business is business.

SDog624

could you tell me what your sig is from? it looks so damn familiar from when i was a kid. anyway about this topic, the guy should have to pay a fine, not go to jail. what he did helped people watch the movie for free instead of paying the company, so wouldnt it be better to make him match the costs? putting him in jail isnt going to replace what he stole. hundreds of other people have it now, and they could eachsend it out to hundreds more people.

Here's the thing about punishment - it's not just about getting back to zero. It's also about setting up a sufficient deterrent against the crime to keep other people from doing it. That's why the industry is trying to hype up the punishment for piracy. It's out of control, and the normal threats and fines aren't stopping people from doing it.

And my sig is from a book called Where the Wild Things Are.

cokessweet7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cokessweet7777

the people that downloaded it were too cheap to see it in theatres so they wouldn't have gone either way.

no profit loss.

still, fine him like 100k and give him 200 hours of community service.

jail time is rediculous.

you get less than 5 years for selling dope!

romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 romocop33
[QUOTE="portujoel5"][QUOTE="CheddarLimbo"]

business is business.

DeeJayInphinity

that's a completely false analogy. this is why piracy of digital content is such a complicated topic. if cars are stolen by someone who wouldn't have bought it in the first place, the company is still physically losing property. if someone downloads a movie that they wouldn't have seen in any other case, certain people (not necessarily myself) would argue that the company isn't losing any revenue.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
lol and at the start of the movie, Bart is writing, I will not download this movie illegally(something like that), you can't say the guy wasn't warned.
GiygasFanima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GiygasFanima
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

It's better then paying for ridiculous movie prices.Ryo_Kensen

You damn right. I'd spend five years in jail rather than spend $8 on a movie that I would later regret seeing any day. Actually...maybe just five days in jail.

portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 portujoel5
hehehe... nvm, at 2107 I will download it and won't go to jail! and at 2070 I will download for free all The Doors, most Beatles, some ROlling Stones and a lot more music and movies for free. :D
cokessweet7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cokessweet7777

lol and at the start of the movie, Bart is writing, I will not download this movie illegally(something like that), you can't say the guy wasn't warned.hockey73

lol true

YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 YourOldFriend
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"][QUOTE="portujoel5"][QUOTE="CheddarLimbo"]

business is business.

romocop33

that's a completely false analogy. this is why piracy of digital content is such a complicated topic. if cars are stolen by someone who wouldn't have bought it in the first place, the company is still physically losing property. if someone downloads a movie that they wouldn't have seen in any other case, certain people (not necessarily myself) would argue that the company isn't losing any revenue.

If only there were a way to prove that those people wouldn't have paid to see it otherwise. Many just do it because it's easier or because given the choice (save 8 dollars or pay $8) they would of course pick the option to keep their money.

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DeeJayInphinity
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"][QUOTE="portujoel5"][QUOTE="CheddarLimbo"]

business is business.

romocop33

It's property that belongs to someone, so stealing it by watching it without permission from the company is theft. Producing that movie cost money, and the companie's profit is put at risk when people who "wouldn't watch the movie anyway" decide to watch it for no reason.

I find it hard to believe that none of those 100,000 people planned on paying for the movie but they randomly decided to watch it on the internet.

Yes, some of them probably watched the movie at the theater, anyway, but it's hard to find out how many of them actually went through that trouble for a movie that they had already watched.

Avatar image for playstation_wii
playstation_wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 playstation_wii
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

Jail time? No

Community Service? Yes

hummer700

yes, the guys time is nearly the same as anotherr guy killing someone

that doesn't make much sense

It's like the judge has said that a movie has the same value as a mans life

CheddarLimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CheddarLimbo
[QUOTE="CheddarLimbo"]

business is business.

portujoel5

I don't follow your definition of stealing.

Let's say I go shopping, and I see some shoes I don't like and wouldn't buy. You're saying it's okay for me to go ahead and take the shoes because I wouldn't have bought them anyway?

See, the real problem here is some people don't think intellectual property has an inherent value - but it does. It doesn't matter if you were never going to pay for it or not. And it doesn't matter that you watching it doesn't keep other people from watching it instead. Watching a movie you didn't pay for is stealing, simple as that.

portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 portujoel5

ok... moving a bit...

Microsoft has intellectual property over DROP DOWN MENUS! so all those Linux/GNU/UNIX/any other distro, steal from MS because they use that feature, cuz it was implemented.

Did you know MS plans to sue companies that support OpenSource software because of this? I might buy property over, I don't keyboard shortcuts....

cokessweet7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cokessweet7777

the shoes have a cost value, and if they get stolen, the company takes a hit of say $20.

if someone watches a movie recorded on a cellphone, no-one is getting money taken from them.