Lucky people that make us feel insignificant

This topic is locked from further discussion.

specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 specialzed
Member since 2007 • 682 Posts

Hard work only gets you so far, and for some people it seems god chose to favor them or somthing. Im pretty sure you can think of a celebrity that just got huge break after huge break. I can think of two people off the top of my head;

Jeremy Lin

-Starting Guard for the Huston Rockets

-Harvard Graduate with a degree in Economics

He is the first person to get drafted from the Harvard Crimson basketball team to the NBA in over 50 years. He completed a 4 year degree at Harvard before getting drafted in Economics. He now is signed to the Huston Rockets on a 5 year 25 million dollar contract and he pulls in endorsement money from Nike and Volvo. 

Ryan Leslie

- Scored 1600 on his SAT 

- Attended Harvard at the age of 15 and graduated 4 years later with a degree in Political Science

- Is now a famous rapper/producer/R&B singer

He is also a multi instrumentalist with the ability to play the guitar, harmonica, bass, piano, drums, trumpet and the list goes on. He worked as a producer for badboy before releasing music of his own which went on to top charts. He like Lin is a multimillionare that is now living the life of the rich an famous. 

When you hear stories about people like this what goes through your mind? Do you get jealous with envy or do you see it as motivation for your own life? Its a mixture of both for myself. Knowing I would never have the money to pay for harvard and that the only way I could attend would be scholarships that both men listed above did not recieve because they paid for the schooling out of pocket gives me a little feeling of jealousy seeing the rich become richer, but some of the things they have achieved are inspiring as of course nothing comes without hard work. What do you think?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts
eh... some people have talents that are marketable ( and work hard to cultivate those talents ) others don't
Avatar image for SonyNintendoFan
SonyNintendoFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SonyNintendoFan
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts
I am completely secure with myself, because I'm a Christian.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
I am completely secure with myself, because I'm a Christian.SonyNintendoFan
That's an unusual thing to say.
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
Comparing yourself to others with completely different lives is a way to cause yourself unnecessary suffering. I do certain things a lot better than others, while others do other things a lot better than me. There are rich people who commit suicide, there are beautiful people who are miserable, there are poor people who are happy, there are people who think Jesus is going to come down from sky and save us all. Do what you can and accept your fate.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts
Both of those individuals seem to have gotten where they are through hard work, not luck. thegerg
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Both of those individuals seem to have gotten where they are through hard work, not luck. thegerg
This. You chose some pretty dubious examples to try support your case.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

I used to worry about this, I used to worry about people being smarter than me...  If you do not have their talents, no use in worrying about it, unless it is your personal fault.  If you cant do calculus..  Life definately is not fair, you just have to use your brains to work around your disadvantages and whatnot...  There is always someone who has way more than you, more opportunities, and manages to screw up...  So yeah there is no guarentees, someone can become a millionaire and lose it all, etc.  No ones life is guarenteeds, just some people are supported better.  These examples are people who are supported by mainstream society, they are connected to millions of people.  Does make you feel alone when you are not those people, doesnt it?  Me, I know how to make everyone I meet laugh, so I feel good that I have a positive effect on others.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Exactly...You have no else to blame but yourself TC.
Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Pretty much anyone on MTV these days got lucky.................

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
No need to be jelly TC.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I'm pretty sure everyone is insignificant so don't feel so bad.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Nobody makes me feel insignificant. I know im insignificant compared to what im capable of. Most people can do a lot better than they live to be. 

Hakumen21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hakumen21
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts

the only thing ppl that are lucky are those with good anti-stress genes or determination.

thats what gets them so far

gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts
I think good parenting also plays a good part in a child's success.
specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 specialzed
[QUOTE="thegerg"]Both of those individuals seem to have gotten where they are through hard work, not luck. MgamerBD

Oh im not blaming myself for anything, im well on my way considering how young I am. I ask you this then, how come you and everyone else on this board hasn't achieved what these two individuals have? Im sure your not calling everyone here lazy are you?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

There's always a certain amount of luck involved in anyone's success.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77

I think good parenting also plays a good part in a child's success.gamah_killah

That's not necessarily true.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
cool-post-u-mad-bro.jpg.
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"][QUOTE="thegerg"]Both of those individuals seem to have gotten where they are through hard work, not luck. specialzed

Oh im not blaming myself for anything, im well on my way considering how young I am. I ask you this then, how come you and everyone else on this board hasn't achieved what these two individuals have? Im sure your not calling everyone here lazy are you?

They haven't because those individuals are exceptional. They have some or most of the following: superior genes, supportive and educational parents, great environments, wealth, blah blah blah.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"]Both of those individuals seem to have gotten where they are through hard work, not luck. megagene
This. You chose some pretty dubious examples to try support your case.

Yeah, TC should have used Nelly, or the cast of Jersey Shore.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178850 Posts
I don't feel insignificant so.....
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They don't make me feel insignificant. What makes me feel insignificant is not making a difference.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"][QUOTE="thegerg"]Both of those individuals seem to have gotten where they are through hard work, not luck. specialzed

Cause I'm lazy and slacked most of my life playing video games instead of studying or working on a useful talent. Now I'm trying to fix it.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="gamah_killah"]I think good parenting also plays a good part in a child's success.worlock77

It could certainly help but it's not totally necessary. There have been successful people who have had abusive or non-existent parents who did succeed in life.  Also those people who were in the original post are successful due to hard work but also some luck on their side.

When I say luck, I mean fate. I don't know anything about them but perhaps they were just there at the right moment at the right time but it's still insignificant. It's all about hard work and recognizing your natural talents and abilities and harnessing them to their fullest.

Hakumen21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hakumen21
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts

no two people are ever the same. different ppl succeed on different levels and different ways. For example, look at Lindsay Lohan, famous but shes going through rough times, VS. a family guy who has a prettty stable life style with his wife and kids.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Hard work only gets you so far, and for some people it seems god chose to favor them specialzed

I'm sorry, but I was unable to get passed this part. I hate when people say crap like this...

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts
the only time i feel insignificant is when i look at the sky and the stars
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
Everyone is insignificant. Those guys will be dead in the next second, relatively speaking, and just a few seconds later, they'll be forgotten forever. Same goes for all of us.
Avatar image for HomicidalCherry
HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HomicidalCherry
Member since 2009 • 959 Posts

Jeremy Lin is smart but not brilliant and athletic, but not so athletic that he was a guaranteed starter in the NBA.  He got where he is through a hell of a lot of hard work.  Being a starting guard in the NBA wasn't his birthright, he got there because he was determined and worked hard.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Those two probably worked their asses off to get where they are.

specialzed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 specialzed

[QUOTE="specialzed"]

Hard work only gets you so far, and for some people it seems god chose to favor them tocool340

I'm sorry, but I was unable to get passed this part. I hate when people say crap like this...

Its quite alright, nobody will lose sleep because of your narrow mind.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

They're not as happy as they'd want you to think.  I don not envy them, I pity them.  In a non-careing way.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Harvard will pay for your education no matter how poor you are.  You can literally have no income and they'll give you a full ride if they accept you.  It's not a matter of being able to pay for it, it's a matter of getting in, which quite frankly very very few are capable or want to attempt to do.  

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Also, I personally think you should use them as motivation, if you choose to pay attention to them at all.  I see no reason why I can't achieve and be at the top of my field.  You have to expect to be succesful, and sure if you want use others as motivation.   

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="tocool340"]

[QUOTE="specialzed"]

Hard work only gets you so far, and for some people it seems god chose to favor them specialzed

Its quite alright, nobody will lose sleep because of your narrow mind.

Hmmm....please, do tell how what I said is narrow minded....
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="gamah_killah"]I think good parenting also plays a good part in a child's success.leviathan91

It could certainly help but it's not totally necessary. There have been successful people who have had abusive or non-existent parents who did succeed in life.  Also those people who were in the original post are successful due to hard work but also some luck on their side.

When I say luck, I mean fate. I don't know anything about them but perhaps they were just there at the right moment at the right time but it's still insignificant. It's all about hard work and recognizing your natural talents and abilities and harnessing them to their fullest.

Don't discount the role luck/chance (whatever you want to call it) plays in a person's success).