Looking to shed a few pounds...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Xcalibur-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Xcalibur-
Member since 2003 • 1488 Posts

First of all I'm about 6'3", 240 lbs. I played football for my HS two years ago as fullback and MLB, but since then I haven't been doing much on the physical side of life. For the past four days I have been doing a fast walk/jogging on a treadmill for about 25 minutes (self propelled), 20 cruches and 20 leg raises.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on things I am able to do around the house (since its winter) that can try to keep me active. Overall I'm looking to lose about 12-15 lbs. Thanks =]

Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
You could try eating better... not sure how your eating habits are though... just try to move around as much as possible and stand a lot... like instead of talking on the phone while sitting down stand up and do it...
GhostRiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GhostRiderMike
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
i cant say anything other than hit the gym, i cant gain more than five pounds no matter wat i do
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Eating right is another thing you must do. If you want to lose weight, you need to make sure you take in less calories than your body consumes. That is the only way to shed weight. You need both a proper diet [with adequate nutrition] and exercise to lose weight effectively and safely.
puremage1209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 puremage1209
Member since 2006 • 1960 Posts
eating better and working out
Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
You could always get sick. I just got over the flu and I lost 10 pounds because I didn't eat for 4 days. :? But I didn't have a problem to begin with... I'm also 6'3", but I'm only 160 (Formerly 170! OH SNIZZAP!)
newbpwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 newbpwnage
Member since 2007 • 2409 Posts
run. HIIT training works best, that means you sprint for 30 - 60 seconds then you jog for 1-2 mins, then repeat this process for about 30-45 minutes
-Xcalibur-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Xcalibur-
Thanks for the advice so far, forgot to mention I do try to eat smaller meals, 3 a day. Trying to stay away from pre-packaged food. Completely blocked out soda from my eating habits, sticking to pure fruit juices and water. How many lbs a week on average do you think I could lose by sticking to this? Or just a general time frame of my 12-15 lb goal?
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
the trick is dont have a solid number that you are going to each  day. instead, try to better yourself each day. start with 20 reps on a day, the next do 23, then 26. soon those twenty crunches will be nothing because you know you can do twenty more! it sounds hard now, but its really not at all if you made gradual improvements
ElMariachi46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ElMariachi46
Member since 2005 • 1149 Posts
well first off cut off on soda or any other sugary drink, you'd surprised how much that helps....lots of chicken breast is a good idea also...but yea good luck dude, eating health being active and running 2 miles every day helped me out a lot...ended up loosing about 40 pounds....sucked that i finally started getting noticed by girls till i lost the weight :-P
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SunJian18
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

Diet and/or exercise, depending on how strict the regimen for each one is.

It's that simple, it's what you have to do, and there's no easy way around it.

-Xcalibur-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Xcalibur-
....sucked that i finally started getting noticed by girls till i lost the weight :-PElMariachi46
Interesting how that works, isn't it. Anyway any other easy exercises I can do to help my upper-body? I have very strong and muscular legs from football and soccer, but my upper body could use some work (father also has the same thing).
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far, forgot to mention I do try to eat smaller meals, 3 a day. Trying to stay away from pre-packaged food. Completely blocked out soda from my eating habits, sticking to pure fruit juices and water. How many lbs a week on average do you think I could lose by sticking to this? Or just a general time frame of my 12-15 lb goal?-Xcalibur-

Well, averages for people eating right and exercising is around 1-2lb a week... that is if you still eat normal meals and have a moderate exercise schedule. You could decrease your food intake and increase your exercise, but that would be very unhealthy.

When it comes to diet, avoiding refined sugars, trans/saturated-fat and high levels of sodium is key. I live in Canada, where the "Nutritional Information" label is required on all food items, giving me an easy way of looking up the contents of the food I am ingesting. I have found that eating simple, "natural" meals is probably the best way to lose weight effectively. More specifically, a lot of fruit, vegetables, whole grains and water... lots and lots of water.

Avoiding snacking is probably the easiest way to cut calorie intake, seeing it is when we are most likely to fall into "comfort foods". I find that instead of snacking, drinking a few large glasses of water or green tea helps stave off the hunger. I also hear that brushing your teeth lessens the hunger pains.
Kiuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kiuk
Member since 2004 • 2250 Posts
Plain simple... Just stop eating crap :I
v3n0m111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 v3n0m111
Member since 2006 • 546 Posts
run up the stairs alot :D
Undoing_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Undoing_Ruin
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts
My advice is don't.

Jiggle=Awesome.
SSJ2_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SSJ2_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts

Not to sound like a jerk but...burn more calories than you take in....

But seriously portion control helps a lot, but you have to have patience. I'm in college, so every meal could be an all you can eat buffet, but I can't let it be. Just think to yourself when getting food, "Do I really need 4 slices of pizza??", "Will I die if I only have 1 cookie instead of two (or even *gasp* no cookies?!?!)", "Is there any reason for me to drink soda now over water/milk/juice?  

Instead of eating till you are full, eat until you are...not hungry, it may surprise you how little it takes. Granted you may get hungry again faster (especially at first), but it's fine to eat again, as long as you still make good choices. Most dieticians will reccomend several smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to 3 large ones anyway.

Conanfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Conanfan1
Member since 2005 • 8014 Posts
eating better and working outpuremage1209
Really? :shock: You should publish your findings and become rich.
DiscoBurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DiscoBurn
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts

Get off the boards! Ha, being on the computer is the biggest way to no do anything at all. Well here a few little tricks that are nice, since the basics have been covered already. Drink one glass one cold water half an hour before you eat anything in the morning, for me that means right before my shower, then have breakfast after my shower. Not only does it help to clean out your system, also you body has to warm up the cold water, and since it has no calories, it acually raises your metabolism for the day. Also, don't eat while watching TV or anything. It acually helps to eat at the table(though I still dont often) because your mind focuses more on what youre eating, and on nothing else, and you can pace yourself better. When you watch TV you will often overeat.

Oh, or you could just watch body break for more stuff. Lol lame as hell, but it helps.

nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
replace your computer chair with an exercise ball and bounce away. ive been doing it fora few weeks and have lost a couple of pounds
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts
For your arm workout, play lots of Guitar Hero!!!!! Do crunches to keep from getting a belly.....
Devosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Devosion
Member since 2004 • 6024 Posts
I cant begin to stress how important eating right is. No matter how much you exercise or what-not if all you eat is fast food and/or sugary fatty foods it doesnt matter how skinny you may be your entire body is a wreck. Usually I try to stick to eating 2 - 3 decent meals a day, and since my job is heavy manual labor I usually get a '12-hour workout' over here. Aside from that I tend to take frequent walks when at home, and as soon as the weather warms up I lift weights in my garage and beat the tar out of my punching bag. Oh and water is your friend too.
ROLFCHANK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ROLFCHANK
Member since 2006 • 1085 Posts

First of all I'm about 6'3", 240 lbs. I played football for my HS two years ago as fullback and MLB, but since then I haven't been doing much on the physical side of life. For the past four days I have been doing a fast walk/jogging on a treadmill for about 25 minutes (self propelled), 20 cruches and 20 leg raises.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on things I am able to do around the house (since its winter) that can try to keep me active. Overall I'm looking to lose about 12-15 lbs. Thanks =]

-Xcalibur-
cut your calories fairly drastically and be disciplined about it, and do 30 minutes a day on a treadmill running only, and do some lifting. i did this and dropped from 190 or so to 145 in just over two months. plus, after that, as long as i kept running 3-5 times a week, i could eat whatever i wanted and not gain any weight. i cut my calories to around 1000/1500 per day. you are taller so id google around for recommendations about that. but it is a guaranteed way to lose weight over a few months.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#24 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I'm wasting away. Can I have your excess fat? :)
buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
I play basketball a couple times a week and all that running and jumping is great exercise. Do some sprints and try to jump really high to simulate B-Ball :p