Liberalism, atheism = higher IQ

This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Apparently.

Oh, and it seems intelligent men are sexually exclusive.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Correlation doesn't imply causation. Me, for example.
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SeanDog123
Member since 2005 • 1327 Posts
Does that mean they are happier? Last time I checked life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a high IQ.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

All the smartest people I know haven't been to church/temple since their confirmation/bar mitzvah.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wstfld
Does that mean they are happier? Last time I checked life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a high IQ.SeanDog123
Where do you check on that? I forgot what life was about.
Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts
It appears to be a study about me sans the vegetarian part.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

There are many conservatives and liberals with high IQ, and many for each that don't.

There are many atheists and theists who have high IQ, and many for each that don't.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

He disagrees

-Katsuri-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 -Katsuri-
Member since 2008 • 61883 Posts

Oh, and it seems intelligent men are sexually exclusive.

br0kenrabbit

I lol'd. Seriously.

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

There are many conservatives and liberals with high IQ, and many for each that don't.

There are many atheists and theists who have high IQ, and many for each that don't.

DJ-Lafleur

Duh, its just interesting data

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

Does that mean they are happier? Last time I checked life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a high IQ.SeanDog123

Who said life is the pursuit of happiness... Last time I checked leaves aren't happy neither is grass.

greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
Intelligence = nearly impossible to determine. Once you understand what it is, you'll get it.
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SeanDog123
[QUOTE="SeanDog123"]Does that mean they are happier? Last time I checked life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a high IQ.wstfld

I'm gonna assume everyone wants to be happy, right? I just feel as though the TC was implying that Atheists are smart therefore lead better lives than Theists, when this argument does nothing to show that.
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SeanDog123

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"]Does that mean they are happier? Last time I checked life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a high IQ.bigblunt537

Who said life is the pursuit of happiness... Last time I checked leaves aren't happy neither is grass.

I'm talking about human life, did I say leaves or grass?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#15 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

A study? Wow, it's all scientific and stuff. Must be true.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wstfld

[QUOTE="wstfld"][QUOTE="SeanDog123"]Does that mean they are happier? Last time I checked life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a high IQ.SeanDog123

I'm gonna assume everyone wants to be happy, right? I just feel as though the TC was implying that Atheists are smart therefore lead better lives than Theists, when this argument does nothing to show that.

This isn't an argument. Those with higher IQs are atheists and liberals (according to this study). TC does not imply or extrapolate anything beyond that.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="wstfld"] Where do you check on that? I forgot what life was about.wstfld

This isn't an argument. Those with higher IQs are atheists and liberals (according to this study). TC does not imply or extrapolate anything beyond that.

The "=" in the title says different.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts
Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said. Article
Considering people and experiences I've known in the past combined with the small gap in reported IQ averages, this idea seems to have some merit, particularly in terms of liberalism. Atheism makes sense since, in my experience, those who are more intelligent/consider themselves more intelligent accept little without what they consider to be concrete proof. The sexually exclusive trait is interesting and a little surprising - explained by increased self control? Perhaps more intelligent people are simply less likely to be caught?
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wstfld
[QUOTE="wstfld"]

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"] I'm gonna assume everyone wants to be happy, right? I just feel as though the TC was implying that Atheists are smart therefore lead better lives than Theists, when this argument does nothing to show that.Theokhoth

I'm sorry. I still haven't spotted "happiness" in the thread title or in TC's first post. Can you help me out?
SeanDog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SeanDog123

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"][QUOTE="wstfld"] Where do you check on that? I forgot what life was about.wstfld

Well if he was simply giving us this information as a tool of discussion, than I have no problem. I think many will infer that this topic is trying to show that theists are stupid and atheists are smart. For the record, I'm an atheist.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="wstfld"] This isn't an argument. Those with higher IQs are atheists and liberals (according to this study). TC does not imply or extrapolate anything beyond that.

wstfld

I'm sorry. I still haven't spotted "happiness" in the thread title or in TC's first post. Can you help me out?

I'm responding to the bold.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RAMRODtheMASTER
[QUOTE="Article"]Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said. mattbbpl
Considering people and experiences I've known in the past combined with the small gap in reported IQ averages, this idea seems to have some merit, particularly in terms of liberalism. Atheism makes sense since, in my experience, those who are more intelligent/consider themselves more intelligent accept little without what they consider to be concrete proof. The sexually exclusive trait is interesting and a little surprising - explained by increased self control? Perhaps more intelligent people are simply less likely to be caught?

Being that I possess many of the qualities that are spoken of in this article I will try and answer the sexual exclusivity question for you. Unlike most men who desire many women I would prefer one who I share qualities with and whom I would love to always be around. Someone whom I can have a conversation with and not become bored. That's just me though. I wouldn't want to be with many women who were only physically attractive to me, I prefer a physically and intellectually attractive woman.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

One person's correlations do not fact make....

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

[QUOTE="SeanDog123"]Does that mean they are happier? Last time I checked life is about the pursuit of happiness, not the pursuit of a high IQ.SeanDog123

I'm talking about human life, did I say leaves or grass?

You didn't say leaves or grass, but you didn't say human life either and life is life. Whether it's a single cell organism, a plant, or a human it's still life. Also how do you know that the person with the higher IQ isn't happier than the person with the lwoer IQ?

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

Not surprised, usually going against the system involves more than a 'yesir' or a 'goddidit'.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RAMRODtheMASTER

One person's correlations, do not fact make....LJS9502_basic

Sorry, I can be a grammar nazi sometimes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]One person's correlations, do not fact make....RAMRODtheMASTER

One...it's called a typo. Two...it's a dangerous hobby.;)
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Damn it, Theokhoth stole my post verbatim. Well played sir. Anyways, I am going to post it anyways.:evil: Correlation doesn't imply causation.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Article"]Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said. RAMRODtheMASTER

Being that I possess many of the qualities that are spoken of in this article I will try and answer the sexual exclusivity question for you. Unlike most men who desire many women I would prefer one who I share qualities with and whom I would love to always be around. Someone whom I can have a conversation with and not become bored. That's just me though. I wouldn't want to be with many women who were only physically attractive to me, I prefer a physically and intellectually attractive woman.

I understand the benefits of being exclusive, I was just wondering why the article reports that more intelligent people are more likely to partake in the practice.
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RAMRODtheMASTER
[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]One person's correlations, do not fact make....LJS9502_basic

I know, you should hear a conversation between me and another person, I correct people in real life as well if it really annoys me. Not one of my more like-able traits.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] Considering people and experiences I've known in the past combined with the small gap in reported IQ averages, this idea seems to have some merit, particularly in terms of liberalism. Atheism makes sense since, in my experience, those who are more intelligent/consider themselves more intelligent accept little without what they consider to be concrete proof. The sexually exclusive trait is interesting and a little surprising - explained by increased self control? Perhaps more intelligent people are simply less likely to be caught?mattbbpl

I understand the benefits of being exclusive, I was just wondering why the article reports that more intelligent people are more likely to partake in the practice.

My hypothesis is that an intelligent person would be more likely to want to firmly establish a close, personal relationship with whomever they're with before having sex. So they would be more into slow relationships and against things like viewing women (or men) as sex objects to have one-night-stands with. They'd probably also be more into safe sex.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Apparently.

br0kenrabbit

Apparently not. Case and point: California.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"]

RAMRODtheMASTER

I know, you should hear a conversation between me and another person, I correct people in real life as well if it really annoys me. Not one of my more like-able traits.

Well what I meant was it can be modded. Anyway, a typo is NOT a grammatical error.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RAMRODtheMASTER
[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] Considering people and experiences I've known in the past combined with the small gap in reported IQ averages, this idea seems to have some merit, particularly in terms of liberalism. Atheism makes sense since, in my experience, those who are more intelligent/consider themselves more intelligent accept little without what they consider to be concrete proof. The sexually exclusive trait is interesting and a little surprising - explained by increased self control? Perhaps more intelligent people are simply less likely to be caught?mattbbpl

I would explain it as a more intelligent person has more self control and does not give into the animalistic instincts of wanting many partners as easily. It could be for a completely different reason but that's my take on it.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"] Being that I possess many of the qualities that are spoken of in this article I will try and answer the sexual exclusivity question for you. Unlike most men who desire many women I would prefer one who I share qualities with and whom I would love to always be around. Someone whom I can have a conversation with and not become bored. That's just me though. I wouldn't want to be with many women who were only physically attractive to me, I prefer a physically and intellectually attractive woman.Theokhoth

My hypothesis is that an intelligent person would be more likely to want to firmly establish a close, personal relationship with whomever they're with before having sex. So they would be more into slow relationships and against things like viewing women (or men) as sex objects to have one-night-stands with.

Depends on where they are in life. If they want to settle down...yeah. If not....doubtful.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I've heard this before actually that atheists tend to be smarter. But it depends on the person. There are also some brilliant theists out there.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] One...it's called a typo. Two...it's a dangerous hobby.;)LJS9502_basic

Well what I meant was it can be modded. Anyway, a typo is NOT a grammatical error.

I added a comma, it seemed rather necessary to me to make a break in the sentence.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"] I know, you should hear a conversation between me and another person, I correct people in real life as well if it really annoys me. Not one of my more like-able traits.RAMRODtheMASTER

I added a comma, it seemed rather necessary to me to make a break in the sentence.

Well actually that would not be correct.;)
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RAMRODtheMASTER
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] I understand the benefits of being exclusive, I was just wondering why the article reports that more intelligent people are more likely to partake in the practice.LJS9502_basic

My hypothesis is that an intelligent person would be more likely to want to firmly establish a close, personal relationship with whomever they're with before having sex. So they would be more into slow relationships and against things like viewing women (or men) as sex objects to have one-night-stands with.

Depends on where they are in life. If they want to settle down...yeah. If not....doubtful.

I'm in college and not looking to settle down for a while but if I were to just go on a date with a girl for her looks alone I would feel rather awkward, especially if I came to find that intellectually we had nothing in common and her interests differed greatly from mine. Many guys I know would overlook this because they just want to score with a girl because they are only physically attractive.
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Well what I meant was it can be modded. Anyway, a typo is NOT a grammatical error.

LJS9502_basic

Well it depends on how you were taught I suppose.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

RAMRODtheMASTER

I'm in college and not looking to settle down for a while but if I were to just go on a date with a girl for her looks alone I would feel rather awkward, especially if I came to find that intellectually we had nothing in common and her interests differed greatly from mine. Many guys I know would overlook this because they just want to score with a girl because they are only physically attractive.

So you never date then?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"] I added a comma, it seemed rather necessary to me to make a break in the sentence.RAMRODtheMASTER

One person's correlations makes no sense by itself. Which is how you divided it. And no...it doesn't depend.
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Depends on where they are in life. If they want to settle down...yeah. If not....doubtful. LJS9502_basic

So you never date then?

Only if I know that it won't be awkward and I'll actually be able to carry on an interesting conversation with her. You have no idea how awkward I get with a girl if we really have nothing in common. I'll admit it's actually quite sad and I find myself wishing the date was over but I don't break it off immediately so as to not look like a complete d-bag.
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RAMRODtheMASTER
[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Well actually that would not be correct.;)LJS9502_basic

One person's correlations makes no sense by itself. Which is how you divided it. And no...it doesn't depend.

Actually it can depend, ask three different people to check a single sentence and you may get three different responses. I've done it with multiple English teachers before to compare how they graded as a simple experiment for myself.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

Actually it can depend, ask three different people to check a single sentence and you may get three different responses. I've done it with multiple English teachers before to compare how they graded as a simple experiment for myself.RAMRODtheMASTER
Yes but a phrase has to make sense on it's own. Which your editing does not. Anyway, I don't want to go off topic. My grammar was correct.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"]Actually it can depend, ask three different people to check a single sentence and you may get three different responses. I've done it with multiple English teachers before to compare how they graded as a simple experiment for myself.LJS9502_basic

Yes but a phrase has to make sense on it's own. Which your editing does not. Anyway, I don't want to go off topic. My grammar was correct.

I was just explaining myself, I've written that style of phrase like that many times in my papers for my college writing classes and never once been marked down for grammar, in fact I aced those writing classes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
Well, I guess that makes me half an idiot. :| Besides, I have not found that to be true in my experiences. Usually, it's conservative Christians that at least appear more intelligent. How they perform on IQ tests is a whole different matter.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"]Actually it can depend, ask three different people to check a single sentence and you may get three different responses. I've done it with multiple English teachers before to compare how they graded as a simple experiment for myself.RAMRODtheMASTER

I was just explaining myself, I've written that style of phrase like that many times in my papers for my college writing classes and never once been marked down for grammar, in fact I aced those writing classes.

*shrugs* The way you changed my post did not make sense. it's against the rules of grammar. And don't change my posts. Thank you.
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
well certainly scientific abilities correlate well with atheism as most of the scientists are atheist whereas the majority of people in general have a religion of some kind.