LGBTQ+ in Vancouver going against BLM to include Cops

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Link

No, this isn't the Pride Parade in Toronto, this is about the Vancouver chapter and it seems that they are not going to bend down and let BLM in Vancouver take control on who should be part of their parade! Vancouver>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toronto!

A coalition of LGBTQ stalwarts and veterans has launched a petition to counter Black Lives Matter Vancouver’s efforts to have police forces removed from the Pride parade.

Arguing that the police “is an instrument of state violence and oppression” the Vancouver chapter of Black Lives Matter launched a campaign earlier this summer asking for the withdrawal of “any and all presence of uniformed police officers” from the annual celebration of LGBTQ communities.

But for the activists behind “Our Pride Includes Our Police,” this misrepresents the history of the relationship between local LGBTQ communities and police.

“Vancouver’s LGBTQ community has a long history of positive engagement with the Vancouver Police Department,” reads the petition.

One of its co-signatories, trans activist Sandy-Leo Laframboise, a 46-year veteran of LGBTQ organizing, told the National Post: “Banning the police from the pride parade will undermine our commitment to diversity and inclusion and all the work we’ve done.”

“They want to remove an entity that we’ve been working with for over 40 years.”

Gordon Hardy, co-founder of Vancouver’s Gay Liberation Front and another of the petition’s organizers said he had no problem with Black Lives Matter members marching in the parade and expressing their opinions.

“What we object to is that they come along and start telling the rest of us in the community who can and cannot be in the parade” he said.

Earlier this month, BLM Vancouver launched a petition to request, for the second time, that the Vancouver Pride Society have the police department withdraw all of its uniformed, armed officers from the parade.

They had already issued an open letter to the Vancouver Pride Society in July asking the police to voluntarily withdraw from the parade and participate instead in a public service float that would include firefighters, paramedics and others. The matter appeared to have been settled after the the Vancouver Police Department agreed to remove an armoured vehicle from the parade.

Although it concedes that “the police can of course be present to do their jobs and show support”, the chapter says that having the institution participate on a float in the parade is “not appropriate,” and “insulting” to those who made Pride celebrations possible and even “died for the cause.”

“If some members of the queer community do not feel comfortable at Pride events … we must be the priority,” the petition continues.

While organizers of “Our Pride Includes Our Police” acknowledge the “historic and ongoing injustices against the black communities in major American and Eastern Canadian cities,” they argue that “they do not reflect relationships between Vancouver’s LGBTQ communities with local law enforcement.”

“Vancouver Police are one of the most progressive police forces in the country,” Velvet Steele, a trans and sex worker activist who has worked on police relations, told the Georgia Straight earlier this week.

This summer, members of the Toronto chapter of Black Lives Matter successfully hijacked the Toronto Pride parade, grinding it to a halt, and forced organizers to agree to a list of demands including removing “oppressive” police floats from future parades before ending the blockade.

As of Friday, the pro-police petition had collected 2,501 signatures compared to 792 collected for Black Lives Matter Vancouver’s petition.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Two dumb fringe groups, LET THEM FIGHT!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

just going to come out and say it, not a lot of black people in Vancouver (its where I live).

I'm surprised the BLM initiative got that many signatures at all

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Good, if this chapter is anything like the Toronto BLM chapter, they should not be listened to. The Toronto BLM chapter leadership is some of the most openly racist people I have seen in the public, their leader should be regarded in the same light as people like Richard spencer.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

O hells yes. Rise up my brothers and sisters. Fight for what you want! They gonna hear our voices. Raise both your platforms as high as you can.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#6 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Good, although it has become quite clear BLM Toronto is nuts. First being needlessly adversarial with the police in Canada. Then the whole Pride BS. Then calling Trudeau a White Supremacist, and then calling all whites sub-human. If there is a poster child for everything wrong with BLM it is BLM Toronto.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FireEmblem_Man

@iandizion713 said:

O hells yes. Rise up my brothers and sisters. Fight for what you want! They gonna hear our voices. Raise both your platforms as high as you can.

Go away! You sound like you want blood-shed!

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iandizion713

@FireEmblem_Man: We dont like blood. We make love, not war.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FireEmblem_Man

@iandizion713 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: We dont like blood. We make love, not war.

Hillary loves war

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Vancouver>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toronto!

lmao I'm sure you haven't been to either.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man

@perfect_blue said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I told you, I've been to Toronto!

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iandizion713

@FireEmblem_Man: Sorry, i dont discuss politics here.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

BLM really needs to wither up and die. It's become a terrorist organization.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@perfect_blue said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I have. That statement is 100 percent correct. Toronto sucks.

@foxhound_fox I've been saying this for awhile and I agree.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Why wouldn't you want the police/military/security guards protecting the people in the gay parade? Is BLM homophobic? I know they are racist and sexist, but now we can add homophobia to the list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@samanthademeste said:

Why wouldn't you want the police/military/security guards protecting the people in the gay parade? Is BLM homophobic? I know they are racist and sexist, but now we can add homophobia to the list.

You seem to have missed the point in the police taking part in pride. Here's a hint, it's about pride not protection.

It's odd that BLM would be opposed to the police doing stuff like this. Surely the police would be less inclined to truncheon someone in the face if they had a feeling of community with civilians rather than the old it's us vs them mentality thats created through segregation. So it really benefits nobody to not let them take part.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
@toast_burner said:
@samanthademeste said:

You seem to have missed the point in the police taking part in pride. Here's a hint, it's about pride not protection.

It's odd that BLM would be opposed to the police doing stuff like this. Surely the police would be less inclined to truncheon someone in the face if they had a feeling of community with civilians rather than the old it's us vs them mentality thats created through segregation. So it really benefits nobody to not let them take part.

Don't you know, BLM hates cops, because they're forms of white supremacy to put down the black man!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@toast_burner said:
@samanthademeste said:

Don't you know, BLM hates cops, because they're forms of white supremacy to put down the black man!

I mean odd in the same sense of how some poor uneducated people vote conservative, it's predictable that they would do it, but odd that they would shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Even if everyone was in agreement with their views on the police, that doesn't mean segregation suddenly works. It's odd how they could think it does.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FireEmblem_Man

@toast_burner said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@toast_burner said:
@samanthademeste said:

I mean odd in the same sense of how some poor uneducated people vote conservative, it's predictable that they would do it, but odd that they would shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Even if everyone was in agreement with their views on the police, that doesn't mean segregation suddenly works. It's odd how they could think it does.

Are you now just realizing that they have been wanting Segregation?

Just look at this old source from last year! BLM ordered all White Supporters of BLM in the back of the line!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#20  Edited By deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@n64dd said:
@perfect_blue said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I have. That statement is 100 percent correct. Toronto sucks.

@foxhound_fox I've been saying this for awhile and I agree.

I got spit upon by a Buddhist monk in Toronto because he told me his propaganda book was free, and I didn't fall for his passive aggressive "It's free, but people usually pay..." routine. I wiped the spit off on the book, went into a video store, put the book on the shelf, and left. You know what was the creepiest part? He spit on me without so much as furrowing his brow, much less having a demeanor that betrayed aggression. It was the weirdest thing. No cussing, no admonitions, just smile, spit and look in the other direction.

My Canadian experiences are mostly in BC because I live in Northern WA. But I have been to Toronto about 6-7 times, and based upon the almost hippie level of condescension one can all but feel in their pores, I have to conclude that Toronto sucks.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@toast_burner said:
@samanthademeste said:

There are female/non-white/homosexual police officers, military personnel, security guards, bouncers, bodyguards, etc. The regressive left live in a science fiction dystopia, where everyone and everything who is not THEM is an evil fascist/crony capitalist.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FireEmblem_Man

@samanthademeste said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

There are female/non-white/homosexual police officers, military personnel, security guards, bouncers, bodyguards, etc. The regressive left live in a science fiction dystopia, where everyone and everything who is not THEM is an evil fascist/crony capitalist.

Even if you're a black/homosexual/female/non-white police officer, you're still called an Uncle Tom/Coon. I agree, they do live in a fantasy world where everything is racist, sexist, and misogynistic and they believe they are heroes for pointing them out.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox

@hillelslovak said:

I got spit upon by a Buddhist monk in Toronto because he told me his propaganda book was free, and I didn't fall for his passive aggressive "It's free, but people usually pay..." routine. I wiped the spit off on the book, went into a video store, put the book on the shelf, and left. You know what was the creepiest part? He spit on me without so much as furrowing his brow, much less having a demeanor that betrayed aggression. It was the weirdest thing. No cussing, no admonitions, just smile, spit and look in the other direction.

My Canadian experiences are mostly in BC because I live in Northern WA. But I have been to Toronto about 6-7 times, and based upon the almost hippie level of condescension one can all but feel in their pores, I have to conclude that Toronto sucks.

Toronto does suck. I was not a fan of the traffic there when I went there the summer before last. And I only took the 407, and only passed by the city proper.

What denomination of Buddhism was it? I'm curious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@foxhound_fox said:
@hillelslovak said:

Toronto does suck. I was not a fan of the traffic there when I went there the summer before last. And I only took the 407, and only passed by the city proper.

What denomination of Buddhism was it? I'm curious.

No idea. Actually, I miswrote. Judging by his appearance, I think he might have actually been some sort of acolyte. He looked exactly like Max Landis, with an equally absurd haircut.

Basically that, with a toga......

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Cops are people, too. People that mostly dedicate their lives to serving the public. A shame they get such hatred from some groups, but I suppose it happens. We judge people based on superficial properties like their profession as opposed to their true self.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox

@hillelslovak said:

No idea. Actually, I miswrote. Judging by his appearance, I think he might have actually been some sort of acolyte. He looked exactly like Max Landis, with an equally absurd haircut.

Hari Krishna?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@foxhound_fox said:
@hillelslovak said:

Hari Krishna?

No idea, all these freaks dress like Greeks from 2300 years ago and have grotesque haircuts

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxhound_fox

@hillelslovak said:

No idea, all these freaks dress like Greeks from 2300 years ago and have grotesque haircuts

Could they have been college student hipsters from a fraternity?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@foxhound_fox said:
@hillelslovak said:

Could they have been college student hipsters from a fraternity?

I did not hear the word "bruh" so I doubt it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@toast_burner said:

Are you now just realizing that they have been wanting Segregation?

Just look at this old source from last year! BLM ordered all White Supporters of BLM in the back of the line!

No it's been obvious for a while, not sure why you're being so argumentative.