Lee Thompson Young: Why would a person such as him suicide?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I know that a thread about the following person's death has already been made, but this thread isn't solely about his death but is using it as an example to explore the topic of suicide. So, please don't see this as a repeat thread.

Lee Thompson Young was an American actor who started his career on the Disney television show The Famous Jett Jackson. His most recent work was as a character on the TNT series Rizzoli & Isles. Despite being young, famous, and attractive, he committed suicide last month by inflicting a gunshot wound to his head.

What I'm wondering is why he, or anyone as successful and attractive as he was, would commit suicide. What are your theories, OT?

lee_thompson_young_0.jpg

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Has nothing to do with "success" or "attractiveness," he was probably just depressed as shlt over something. Some loser scumbags that I end up having to be around for a yearly reunion (family friend hung himself over a girl) and one of the guys there attempted to kill himself too (also over a girl).

A lot of attractive girls kill themselves because of feelings of worthlessness and isolation from bulling (probably from other attractive girls)

...Basically girls suck and make people want to kill themselves >_>

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Maybe he had a terminal illness? I personally would vacation like crazy, and travel the world if I had a terminal illness, and kill myself when the pain becomes unbearable.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

His definition of success is probably very different from yours.

lordtree4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lordtree4
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts
I thought this was my physics professor for a moment, would have been weird since I saw him this morning. Still tragic nevertheless.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
because he thinks by suicide, he can be legendary like kurt cobain.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
His MK Ultra brain chip malfunction, no r.i.p. lee thompson young
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
could have been something personal that was upsetting him, family issues, girlfriend issues, sometimes people have psychological issues, depression is more than just being bummed out about something it effects your entire way of thinking, it effects being able to enjoy many things, it makes life miserable
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
There's nothing logical about someone in the throes of depression. When you're in the middle of it, life just feels like endless sadness. Any happiness you once had seems totally fake, while the depression feels so utterly real that there's nothing else and there never will be. Depression is really serious, and it may not have anything to do with your life circumstances.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

artists have high rates of mental illness.

Much higher than the average population.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

depression is a disease, not just caused by environment or behavioral factors, but by biological factors as well.

why society has a difficult time accepting this, I will never understand.

fame, money, and good looks don't really count for much if your insides are sick.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Wow. I use to love the show as a kid. That's pretty depressing news to hear.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
oh, and this is true about a lot of young media talent, but many of them get molested as children, and that can be very detrimental to peoples mental health in the long run... I mean look at River Phoenix, he grew up on that sex cult as a child getting raped by adults, he took a lot of drugs to cope and eventually overdosed, and that explains Joaquin Phoenix's drug induced TV episode and his escape from the scene years back, Corey Feldman and Corey Haim were both molested and heavily abused drugs, Corey Haim died of an overdose few years back, I don't know much about this guy but it says he was on Disney channel, so I can see this can see how he might have fell victim to Hollywood pedophiles
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

Sometimes you just can't see the light in your future. 

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
Probably the same reason everybody else around his age commits suicide.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
oh, and this is true about a lot of young media talent, but many of them get molested as children, and that can be very detrimental to peoples mental health in the long run... I mean look at River Phoenix, he grew up on that sex cult as a child getting raped by adults, he took a lot of drugs to cope and eventually overdosed, and that explains Joaquin Phoenix's drug induced TV episode and his escape from the scene years back, Corey Feldman and Corey Haim were both molested and heavily abused drugs, Corey Haim died of an overdose few years back, I don't know much about this guy but it says he was on Disney channel, so I can see this can see how he might have fell victim to Hollywood pedophileslamprey263
If you're referring to Joaquin Phoenix's foray into being a rapper, that was all an act that was being filmed by Casey Affleck. They released a lousy "documentary" on it called I'm Still Here.
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Perhaps he just took a good look around him, saw the huge preponderance of shitheads in the world and decided that he'd had enough.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have a cousin who blew his brains out. He found himself unable to cope with problems and chose the easy way out. I'm still pissed off at him because the problems he had were the same ones I had when I was younger. I merely grew a thick skin and got over my problems back then.

Who knows what's on their minds? It's usually something they can't cope with.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BluRayHiDef

I have a cousin who blew his brains out. He found himself unable to cope with problems and chose the easy way out. I'm still pissed off at him because the problems he had were the same ones I had when I was younger. I merely grew a thick skin and got over my problems back then.

jun_aka_pekto

Some people have perpetual troubles. For example, I get stereotyped on a daily basis; everyone thinks I'm some mean and suspicious person, which I'm not. I'm constantly getting meanmugged, avoided, and spoken badly of by people when I'm outside or at work. I try to look past it but it's impossible to do so when it keeps happening. I don't have any friends and no girlfriend; I'm all alone and feel very sad most of the time. I try to distract myself from it all by engaging in gratifying activities such as playing video games, watching movies, and eating tasty foods, but these things only distract me temporarily. 

I feel that if I looked differently, I wouldn't be treated the way I am. Because of my experience, I believe that a person's phenotype determines how they're treated and perceived in this world. 

I often think of suiciding, but never to a degree that I'd actually do it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
What goes on in someone's head isn't anything you can define just because they seem successful to you. Obviously he had some issues....
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

BluRayHiDef

Some people have perpetual troubles. For example, I get stereotyped on a daily basis; everyone thinks I'm some mean and suspicious person, which I'm not. I'm constantly getting meanmugged, avoided, and spoken badly of by people when I'm outside or at work. I try to look past it but it's impossible to do so when it keeps happening. I don't have any friends and no girlfriend; I'm all alone and feel very sad most of the time. I try to distract myself from it all by engaging in gratifying activities such as playing video games, watching movies, and eating tasty foods, but these things only distract me temporarily. 

I feel that if I looked differently, I wouldn't be treated the way I am. Because of my experience, I believe that a person's phenotype determines how they're treated and perceived in this world. 

You also have refused to listen to anyone in the past about your trouble. And I mean, really listen. You remember that conversation we had a while back about self-fufilling prophecies? You are one. You think everyone on the bus hates you, but you refuse to stop and think about how those thoughts contribute to the reality of your situation. You think "everyone hates me, I might as well go sit alone in the corner" - so you do. And then you feel even worse when nobody acknowledges you because your body language is following suit with your thoughts. People leave you alone, you take that as people "hating you" and you leave. The cycle continues. People don't hate you for no reason. You're completely creating your own suffering, and it's ridiculous. That's all.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chrisrooR
And suicide isn't always sad. It can be, but I believe it to be a personal right to end ones own existence. If one of my relatives was terminally ill and decided to voluntarily end their life I would fully support their decision to do so.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

What I'm wondering is why he, or anyone as successful and attractive as he was, would commit suicide. What are your theories, OT?

BluRayHiDef

You have some seriously distorted view of human psychology.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

chrisrooR

You also have refused to listen to anyone in the past about your trouble. And I mean, really listen. You remember that conversation we had a while back about self-fufilling prophecies? You are one. You think everyone on the bus hates you, but you refuse to stop and think about how those thoughts contribute to the reality of your situation. You think "everyone hates me, I might as well go sit alone in the corner" - so you do. And then you feel even worse when nobody acknowledges you because your body language is following suit with your thoughts. People leave you alone, you take that as people "hating you" and you leave. The cycle continues. People don't hate you for no reason. You're completely creating your own suffering, and it's ridiculous. That's all.

I can't stand people like you; you speak on that which you don't know. Just yesterday I saw a woman walking toward me and decided to smile. Do you know how she responded? She put a mean expression on her face, turned her head, and then quickly sped past and away from me.  This has nothing to do with being a self-fulfilling prophecy, and you can't seem to understand that.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N30F3N1X

And suicide isn't always sad. It can be, but I believe it to be a personal right to end ones own existence. If one of my relatives was terminally ill and decided to voluntarily end their life I would fully support their decision to do so. chrisrooR

This, too. It's sad to see a person "go" but if all they have in life is suffering due to illness I would fully support their decision.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chrisrooR

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

I can't stand people like you; you speak on that which you don't know. Just yesterday I saw a woman walking toward me and decided to smile. Do you know how she responded? She put a mean expression on her face, turned her head, and then quickly sped past and away from me.  This has nothing to do with being a self-fulfilling prophecy, and you can't seem to understand that.

Yes, it does. You really think a random woman's going to take the time out of her day to focus on, for a fraction of a few seconds, hating YOU? SPECIFICALLY YOU? What if that woman walking past you was just coming from an abortion? Or she just talked to her doctor and was diagnosed with a late-stage breast cancer? You shouldn't internalize someone's reaction to you to the degree you do, because when you start thinking "oh, she was looking at me like that because she doesn't like me" you do become a self-fufilling prophecy.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] You also have refused to listen to anyone in the past about your trouble. And I mean, really listen. You remember that conversation we had a while back about self-fufilling prophecies? You are one. You think everyone on the bus hates you, but you refuse to stop and think about how those thoughts contribute to the reality of your situation. You think "everyone hates me, I might as well go sit alone in the corner" - so you do. And then you feel even worse when nobody acknowledges you because your body language is following suit with your thoughts. People leave you alone, you take that as people "hating you" and you leave. The cycle continues. People don't hate you for no reason. You're completely creating your own suffering, and it's ridiculous. That's all. chrisrooR

Yes, it does. You really think a random woman's going to take the time out of her day to focus on, for a fraction of a few seconds, hating YOU? SPECIFICALLY YOU? What if that woman walking past you was just coming from an abortion? Or she just talked to her doctor and was diagnosed with a late-stage breast cancer? You shouldn't internalize someone's reaction to you to the degree you do, because when you start thinking "oh, she was looking at me like that because she doesn't like me" you do become a self-fufilling prophecy.

Just go. 

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X

BluRayHiDef

He's right and you have just proven him so :lol:

Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

BluRayHiDef

Well at least you're not a virgin anymore.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

charlesdarwin55

Well at least you're not a virgin anymore.

Pff. Makes no difference. Honestly, losing it has caused me psychological trauma. 

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
Success and his looks does not mean that he was happy as a person.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

Just go. 

Don't get angry because he's right.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

BluRayHiDef

Pics or it didnt happen, and look at your avatar, I been suspicious of you btw.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

mahlasor

Pics or it didnt happen, and look at your avatar, I been suspicious of you btw.

What does my avatar have to do with who I am in real life? I can only dream of being as cool as Dr. Manhattan, or even "just" Jon Osterman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

BluRayHiDef

LOL

obvious troll thread or op is dumber than first suspected

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
People that commit suicide are missing the DNA that prevents you from hurting yourself. It's very strong in normal people and makes it practically impossible to harm yourself.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I like how BRHD constantly bitches about problems he creates for himself and never does anything substantial to deal with them.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BluRayHiDef

People that commit suicide are missing the DNA that prevents you from hurting yourself. It's very strong in normal people and makes it practically impossible to harm yourself.killzowned24

Is English your first language?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I like how BRHD constantly bitches about problems he creates for himself and never does anything substantial to deal with them.

coolbeans90

dat learned helplessness

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BluRayHiDef

coolbeans90

There's nothing I can do. I've tried being social and smiling, but neither has worked. The way that other people pereive you is ultimately out of your control (after you've done the best you can do to give a good impression). You just don't understand that, Beans. 

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

BluRayHiDef

There's nothing I can do. I've tried being social and smiling, but neither has worked. The way that other people pereive you is ultimately out of your control (after you've done the best you can do to give a good impression). You just don't understand that, Beans. 

In due honesty, even though you cause all of your problems, I don't know that there really is anything you can do about them simply because you are probably at least half as socially inept in real life as you are online.

You strike me as autistic.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

In due honesty, even though you cause all of your problems, I don't know that there really is anything you can do about them simply because you are probably at least half as socially inept in real life as you are online.

Take your pseudo-psychology and go.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

Take your pseudo-psychology and go.

Is that what you tell everyone that actually tells you the truth?