Laptops on planes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

So I'm going on a flight in 7 hours with my father. I have an essay to write and a culminating assignment (big parts of my grade) which are due while I'm gone. My father told me he would allow me to bring his laptop on our way. Today, as we leave he decides it was too risky. Because they probably won't let him take the laptop on the plane and he doesn't want to risk losing it.

I have googled and read over 50 confirmations of people saying that a laptop is allowed.

Is there anyway I can prove this to him? And what does happen if they disallow the laptop for the plane? Do we lose it? Or do we get it back when we return?

Because I told my teachers, and they told me if I couldn't email it to them while away, I'd have to hand it on Friday. But considering he changed his mind today, and it's now Saturday... I'm pretty much screwed...? Do you think my teachers will still give me time afterwards anyways?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Avatar image for krato_sephiroth
krato_sephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 krato_sephiroth
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

Its allowed; why would businessmen use them, if they are not portable???

I've been on heaps of flights(travel very regularly) and can't live without my laptop, so its always with me.. taken it on every flight!

If you really want to prove that laptops are allowed, call the airport, talk to the airlines, find some mention of it on the airport's regulation( Check in carry-on baggage allowances)

Hope this helped!!

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
the only reason why it wouldn't be allowed is if the airline didn't allow them. Best bet is to call the airline to make sure they're allowed.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I prefer desktop on a plane.... 8D
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
I don't know of any airlines that don't allow laptops on the plane. Many planes have sockets to plugin laptops and many now have wifi service; they are encouraging people to use laptops!
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
the only reason why it wouldn't be allowed is if the airline didn't allow them. Best bet is to call the airline to make sure they're allowed. Ring_of_fire
I told him, "He said it's not worth it. Because they'll probably say yes. But then we'll get there and the security will disagree and I'm not risking losing my laptop." So much for good grades this year?
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
They don't allow laptops in checked baggage. Thus, they encourage you to carry it on. I've carried laptops on planes a dozen times or more. Trust me, they'll let you bring it on. You just cannot use the internet.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Not sure about now, but last time i was on a plane they allowed laptops. But that was before 9/11, so that might have changed.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Not sure about now, but last time i was on a plane they allowed laptops. But that was before 9/11, so that might have changed.ferret-gamer
The only thing that's changed is that you have to remove it from your bag for it to be x-rayed.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Not sure about now, but last time i was on a plane they allowed laptops. But that was before 9/11, so that might have changed.Engrish_Major
The only thing that's changed is that you have to remove it from your bag for it to be x-rayed.

So stashing stuff in the extra hard drive compartment won't work anymore?
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#11 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Call the airline and ask or check the airlines website. Simple.

I have never heard about laptops not being allowed on planes. The only thing you might have to do is turn it on to prove that it works.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
Of course laptops are allowed on planes. Do you think businessmen have extra laptops everywhere they go? Just make sure you have it in carry on though. You also have to take it out of its bag and put it in the tray things to be x-rayed. But I would say most of the people going through airports will have a laptop.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I take my laptop on every flight I've been on. They definitely allow it. In fact I usually have my tablet, my laptop, my cell phone and my zune. I get through security with each of them.
TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

I bring my laptop all the time when I'm flying...

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
They don't allow laptops in checked baggage. Thus, they encourage you to carry it on. I've carried laptops on planes a dozen times or more. Trust me, they'll let you bring it on. You just cannot use the internet.Engrish_Major
Not true. Some companies have inflight wifi, pretty sweet stuff.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

While this might be a bit late, of course laptops and other electronics are allowed in the plane as carry on baggage. I carry a laptop, 2 cameras (still and video) and MP3 player along with a portable printer when I have to travel for work. I remove the printer when I don't need it.