Julius Caesar vs Alexander the Great

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ab1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ab1205
Member since 2007 • 501 Posts
Who was the better strategist in his time?
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#2 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Julius Caesar wasn't even the best Roman leader. Augustus was far better. Alexander was better than either though.

Mr47fitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mr47fitter
Member since 2007 • 2273 Posts
alexander by far
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

Alexander was the greatest strategist.

Ceasar just had Man power "STORM IT" was pretty much his strategy in half of his conquests.

GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts
Alexander the Great. Who doesn't like Phalanx formation?
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GamerForca

Alexander the Great. Who doesn't like Phalanx formation?GettingTired

Alexander didn't use the phalanx. He was more about cavalry, I believe. He actually crushed the Greeks who were still using phalanx formations during his early conquests.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

[QUOTE="GettingTired"]Alexander the Great. Who doesn't like Phalanx formation?GamerForca

Alexander didn't use the phalanx. He was more about cavalry, I believe. He actually crushed the Greeks who were still using phalanx formations during his early conquests.

You are incorrect. Alexander used an improved version of phalanx. The Greeks were heavily armored and use normal length spears. Alexander's men had light armor and used 18-21 feet long pikes. But Alexander did have good cavalry.

In a battle between the two, Caesar would win. But Alexander was probably the better strategist.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerForca
[QUOTE="GamerForca"]

[QUOTE="GettingTired"]Alexander the Great. Who doesn't like Phalanx formation?ShuLordLiuPei

You are incorrect. Alexander used an improved version of phalanx. The Greeks were heavily armored and use normal length spears. Alexander's men had light armor and used 18-21 feet long pikes. But Alexander did have good cavalry.

In a battle between the two, Caesar would win. But Alexander was probably the better strategist.

Umm, no. He used the phalanx oblique formation (I should've pointed this out in my last post, my bad) to attack the enemy flanks during large battles, but his main tactic was a massive cavalry charge used to quickly finish his enemies. That's how he defeated the Greeks and Persians.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShuLordLiuPei
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"][QUOTE="GamerForca"]

[QUOTE="GettingTired"]Alexander the Great. Who doesn't like Phalanx formation?GamerForca

Umm, no. He used the phalanx oblique formation (I should've pointed this out in my last post, my bad) to attack the enemy flanks during large battles, but his main tactic was a massive cavalry charge used to quickly finish his enemies. That's how he defeated the Greeks and Persians.

He used cavalry more than the Greeks, but he did still use phalanx. Infact, what many people think of phalanx today is his phalanx.

Image:Phalanx.jpg

"The Macedonian phalanx..."

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
Alexander was a better strategist, but in the end Ceaser was more influential. The crossing of the Rubicond is one of the most important turning points in history...
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GamerForca

He used cavalry more than the Greeks, but he did still use phalanx. Infact, what many people think of phalanx today is his phalanx.ShuLordLiuPei

Still wasn't his main tactic, even though he would use those phalanx formations to set up a cavalry charge at times. When you think of Alexander's fighting tactics, it's usually of his cavalry. The pic you showed was a formation invented long before Alexander's time.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShuLordLiuPei

[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]He used cavalry more than the Greeks, but he did still use phalanx. Infact, what many people think of phalanx today is his phalanx.GamerForca

Still wasn't his main tactic, even though he would use those phalanx formations to set up a cavalry charge at times. When you think of Alexander's fighting tactics, it's usually of his cavalry. The pic you showed was a formation invented long before Alexander's time.

"Alexander didn't use the phalanx"

Even if he didn't use it often, you are incorrect to say he didn't use it at all. That type of formation was made before he was born, but he still used it.

And again, you are incorrect. When I think of Alexander's tactics, I picture the phalanx.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GamerForca
"Alexander didn't use the phalanx"

Even if he didn't use it often, you are incorrect to say he didn't use it at all. That type of formation was made before he was born, but he still used it.

And again, you are incorrect. When I think of Alexander's tactics, I picture the phalanx.

ShuLordLiuPei

I already pointed out my mistake. And when I said "When you think of Alexander's fighting tactics, it's usually of his cavalry", I was talking about people who know military history in general. The phalanx wasn't his main tactic, so whatever.

"Infact, what many people think of phalanx today is his phalanx."
It's not his phalanx if he didn't invent it. Since you want to point out my mistakes so much, I can do the same....

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"][QUOTE="GamerForca"]

[QUOTE="GettingTired"]Alexander the Great. Who doesn't like Phalanx formation?ShuLordLiuPei

He used cavalry more than the Greeks, but he did still use phalanx. Infact, what many people think of phalanx today is his phalanx.

"The Macedonian phalanx..."

To clear it up..

He did use the Macedonian phalanx which his father invented, using pikes that were more than twice as long as the general greek ones.

Alexanders tactics were mainly holding the enemy in place with his infantry, the phalanx acting as a shield, while his cavalry flanked them. He would never have made it without the phalanx formations, nor without his heavy cavalry. he knew that having a balanced army was far better than only having, say infantry (like most Greek states had), or being mainly composed of archers (Persia).

Edit:

And Caesar would most likely win, the Roman formations were much more advanced, hence Rome simply trampled over both Greece and Macedon when they expanded East.

ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShuLordLiuPei
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"] "Alexander didn't use the phalanx"

GamerForca

I already pointed out my mistake. And when I said "When you think of Alexander's fighting tactics, it's usually of his cavalry", I was talking about people who know military history in general. The phalanx wasn't his main tactic, so whatever.

It's not his phalanx if he didn't invent it. Since you want to point out my mistakes so much, I can do the same....

You may have meant "people who know military history", but you said "you".

I never suggested he invented it. He is the one who made it known, however.

xboxgamefx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 xboxgamefx
Member since 2005 • 782 Posts

Julius Caesar wasn't even the best Roman leader. Augustus was far better. Alexander was better than either though.

GamerForca

Genghis Khan owns all....nobody can beat him. He and his mongol gang march 70 miles a day, eat anything they have to eat to survive, and kill all.

Anthony9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Anthony9000
Member since 2006 • 2173 Posts

julius caesar cause he's got the best strategies....remember this formation?

its callerd the testudo.....very good defense against archers

Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Axrendale
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

I'd actually say that Julius Caesar was the far greater General than Alexander. And the Greater Ruler than Augustus. But since we're just on the subject of military matters at the moment, Caesar's tactics went far, far beyond just "storm it". Classics of his strategy and tactics include The battle of Pharsalus, Alesia, Zela, to name but a few.

I'd also stipulate that Caesar was a far better conqueor than Alexander - much more thourough in the art of conquering. Case in point - after Alexander's death, his empire split apart and some parts of it seceded altogether. By conrtrast, Gaul, Caesar's famous conquest, would not attempt to rebel for a good 300 years after Caesar's death. Think about that - the Roman republic was in chaos after Caesar's death - in the confusion of a Civil War, it could easily have attempted to regain independance. Not a murmur. Caesar did the job too well.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Alexander, that's why he was Great.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

GamerForca

49-10

Belisarius-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Belisarius-9
Member since 2006 • 1595 Posts
I suggest educating yourselves. Not only did Caesar conquer Gaul, but all of the Roman Empire, not to mention Egypt, Pontus, northern Africa, and Spain.
Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Axrendale

Alexander, that's why he was Great.cyberdarkkid

You're gonna have to come up with something bettter than that to convnince me:(

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
Alexander without a doubt.
Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Axrendale

Alexander without a doubt.krazykillaz

Why so?

Makemap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Makemap
Member since 2007 • 3755 Posts

[QUOTE="krazykillaz"]Alexander without a doubt.Axrendale

Why so?

Cause the Romans alwayts used the same old tactics, box formation! Y not get run over by horses with Alexanders Massive Calvaries.

Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Axrendale
[QUOTE="Axrendale"]

[QUOTE="krazykillaz"]Alexander without a doubt.Makemap

Why so?

Cause the Romans alwayts used the same old tactics, box formation! Y not get run over by horses with Alexanders Massive Calvaries.

Wrong. Not only did the Romans make heavy use of cavalry, and a whole variety of infantry formations (far more than did the greeks) they also were the undisputed masters of military engineering. The Roman legions trampled the Greek and Macedonian armies into the dirt.

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts
Caesar was pretty extreme I read once that he was on a raft getting across a river and saw an enemy warship and had his men row towards it demanding they surrender
Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Axrendale

Caesar was pretty extreme I read once that he was on a raft getting across a river and saw an enemy warship and had his men row towards it demanding they surrenderLief_Ericson

It wasn't just an enemy warship - it was an entire fleet of enemy warships. And yes, Caesar's incredible charisma was another thing he had over Alexander.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I got to go with Alexander since I'm Macedonian.
SAURON221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SAURON221
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

Both would be beaten by... Hannibal Barca

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#31 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Alexander. Caesar had a much smaller area to cover, Alexander went full throttle til he died.
Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Axrendale

Alexander. Caesar had a much smaller area to cover, Alexander went full throttle til he died.btaylor2404

Alexander may have covered a larger area, but Caesar undoubtably had the more difficult conquests. Alexander fought campaigns where winning a single battle, or taking a single city would gain you control of the entire area. Caesar was forced to fight battles where the entire region - every person capable of bearing arms was arrayed against him. Also notable is that Alexander had the benefit of facing enemies with soldiers vastly inferior to his own. Caesar won many of his greatest victories against other Roman armies.

Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Axrendale
Also to note is that before he was asassinated, Caesar was planning to lead a campaign to conquer all of Alexander's old territories. Had he not been asassinated, there would be little doubt as to who's was the greatest accomplishments.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

after reading numerous books on both. Alexander by far!

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Alexander the Great, even though the movie sucked
Makemap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Makemap
[QUOTE="Makemap"][QUOTE="Axrendale"]

[QUOTE="krazykillaz"]Alexander without a doubt.Axrendale

Why so?

Wrong. Not only did the Romans make heavy use of cavalry, and a whole variety of infantry formations (far more than did the greeks) they also were the undisputed masters of military engineering. The Roman legions trampled the Greek and Macedonian armies into the dirt.

Ya, when Alexander wasn't there and the greeks fought themselves to death, they actually had to give up due to low number of armies.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

Alexander the Great, even though the movie sucked CleanPlayer
what does the movie have to do with alexander the greats strategies over a thousand years ago??

and i thought it was awesome. especialy the directors cut. even though there was only a few of his battles

Makemap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Makemap

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]Alexander the Great, even though the movie sucked sAndroid17

what does the movie have to do with alexander the greats strategies over a thousand years ago??

and i thought it was awesome. especialy the directors cut. even though there was only a few of his battles

The movie felt so weird and off by alot.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]Alexander. Caesar had a much smaller area to cover, Alexander went full throttle til he died.Axrendale

Alexander may have covered a larger area, but Caesar undoubtably had the more difficult conquests. Alexander fought campaigns where winning a single battle, or taking a single city would gain you control of the entire area. Caesar was forced to fight battles where the entire region - every person capable of bearing arms was arrayed against him. Also notable is that Alexander had the benefit of facing enemies with soldiers vastly inferior to his own. Caesar won many of his greatest victories against other Roman armies.

All true, but I go by territory gained, who knows, both died early, they could have taken over the whole known world.

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts

I got to go with Alexander since I'm Macedonian.II-FBIsniper-II

Greek Macedonian or Fyrom?

LA_CA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LA_CA
Member since 2008 • 242 Posts
Genghis Khan
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts
Alexander gets points for never having lost a battle. I can't think of any other military commander off the top of my head who never lost.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Alexander.

The man never lost a battle. Not only that, but at the time he was marching as far East as Europe knew about. He literally thought he'd be hitting the Pacific any moment as he trekked through India, meaning he had absolutely no logistical or strategic intelligence a few days in front of him. A twenty first century high schooler knows more about Asian geography than Alexander could have, yet he was never defeated on the field of battle.

On the other hand, Caesar was fighting close to Rome in Gaul, and then later with an enemy he knew extremely well (Pompey, etc). He had the amazing Roman military machine create the institutions and recruits for his army (though he was excellent at leading them) and had luxuries Alexander just didn't.

Bottom line, when Caesar saw Alexander's statue in Spain, he broke down and wept in jealously at what Alexander had accomplished. Pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Axrendale

Alexander.

The man never lost a battle. Not only that, but at the time he was marching as far East as Europe knew about. He literally thought he'd be hitting the Pacific any moment as he trekked through India, meaning he had absolutely no logistical or strategic intelligence a few days in front of him. A twenty first century high schooler knows more about Asian geography than Alexander could have, yet he was never defeated on the field of battle.

On the other hand, Caesar was fighting close to Rome in Gaul, and then later with an enemy he knew extremely well (Pompey, etc). He had the amazing Roman military machine create the institutions and recruits for his army (though he was excellent at leading them) and had luxuries Alexander just didn't.

Bottom line, when Caesar saw Alexander's statue in Spain, he broke down and wept in jealously at what Alexander had accomplished. Pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Danm_999

At that point, Caesar was just a young man of 30 who hadn't fought a single battle. He lamented the fact that at his age, Alexander had accomplished so much, where he had accomplished nothing.

omfg_its_dally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 omfg_its_dally
Member since 2006 • 8068 Posts
Alexander.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Both wrong.. First Alexander did not revolutionize the phalanx formation for Macedonia, his father Philip of Macedon did. Secondly Alexander was the first Greek commander to have calavery play a huge role in military combat, though he still heavily relied on the phalanx. Basically he would flank with his calavery to have the enemy crash into the Phalanx wall. Philip of Macedon did not get enough credit for what he did for Alexander by giving him the first united/conquerored Greece, revolutionizing the phalanx, as well as othe rthings.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Alexander.

Axrendale

At that point, Caesar was just a young man of 30 who hadn't fought a single battle. He lamented the fact that at his age, Alexander had accomplished so much, where he had accomplished nothing.

lets see, maybe because Alexander was given reins to a United Greece at the age of 20? Ceasar had no such thing ever for battle.. All of his battles were under the republic, when he became emperor he played cat and mouse with his rival, intill his rival died.. And then he was killed in the Senate by their representatives.. I think its hard to say, Ceasar was a way better politican thats for sure.. Alexander was a master propagandist though.

Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Axrendale

There is a point that needs to be made. Alexander the Great gets a lot of hype for "never losing a battle". That is certainly a very great accomplishment. But exactly how many battles are we talking about here?

Over the course of his campaigns, Alexander fought a grand total of 5 pitched battles, 3 major sieges, and several dozen small skirmishes. Nothing to be sniffed at. But...

Over the course of his career, Caesar fought no less than 50 pitched battles, 47 of which ended in victory, literally dozens of major sieges, and hundreds of small skirmishes.

A point that should be addressed, no?

Axrendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Axrendale
[QUOTE="Axrendale"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Alexander.

sSubZerOo

lets see, maybe because Alexander was given reins to a United Greece at the age of 20? Ceasar had no such thing ever for battle.. All of his battles were under the republic, when he became emperor he played cat and mouse with his rival, intill his rival died.. And then he was killed in the Senate by their representatives.. I think its hard to say, Ceasar was a way better politican thats for sure.. Alexander was a master propagandist though.

Caesar is widely regarded as one of the greatest propagandists of all time, to the point where his works are still studied today by those wishing to master the art.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59d151f079814

There is a point that needs to be made. Alexander the Great gets a lot of hype for "never losing a battle". That is certainly a very great accomplishment. But exactly how many battles are we talking about here?

Over the course of his campaigns, Alexander fought a grand total of 5 pitched battles, 3 major sieges, and several dozen small skirmishes. Nothing to be sniffed at. But...

Over the course of his career, Caesar fought no less than 50 pitched battles, 47 of which ended in victory, literally dozens of major sieges, and hundreds of small skirmishes.

A point that should be addressed, no?

Axrendale

Memory serves, Alexander did lose a battle and was forced to retreat from the region close to India. Which lead to his long trip home and to his controversial death which lead to the collapse of his 10 year empire.