James Cameron vs. Stanley Kubrick

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

Who is the more overrated director? I honestly can't decide. Only Kubrick film I somewhat liked was Full Metal Jacket, and Terminator 1 and 2 were the only films by Cameron I cared for.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#2 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

Kubrick is the best director of all time

Cameron isn't even worthy of licking Kubrick's boot

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#3 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Err... first time I've ever heard someone say Kubrick is overrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I prefer Cameron.. I am not a very big Kubrick fan..
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SilentSoprano

I knew a bunch of people would rage here... sorry guys I just don't like his movies other than Full Metal.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Kubrick?! Overrated?!
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
While I'm not absolutely in love with Kubrick, I do think that he was rather great, and I have liked (or loved) most of what I've seen of his so far. Cameron, on the other hand, is preeeeetty mediocre. I won't lie - I have enjoyed some of his films, but that's about it. I've just enjoyed them. I haven't thought that they were very good on the whole.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
Is this a joke?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts

I knew a bunch of people would rage here...SilentSoprano

Yet you still, made this thread.

I think there's a word for what you are doing here...

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#11 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Is this a joke?sammyjenkis898

Kubrick being compared with Cameron... has to be.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SilentSoprano

Is this a joke?sammyjenkis898

No it's not a joke. Why is it so difficult to have a different opinion on this forum? It's not like I'm saying Cameron is amazing or something; I just don't care for Kubrick and think people rate him better than he should be.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

I knew a bunch of people would rage here...ZuluEcho14

Yet you still, made this thread.

I think there's a word for what you are doing here...

I made this thread to see if there was actually someone here who wasn't a sheep and shared the same opinion. Also wanted to see whom everyone thought was more overrated.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
Stanley Kubrick is definitely the more overrated director. God I hate his movies. Have you guys ever seen Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey? Those movies bored me to tears because they had no plot whatsoever. The only one I think is worth two asses is The Shining, but I much prefer the miniseries over that movie... James Cameron can at least make a movie that makes money - Stanley Kubrick couldn't even get a large crowd.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]Is this a joke?SilentSoprano

No it's not a joke. Why is it so difficult to have a different opinion on this forum? It's not like I'm saying Cameron is amazing or something; I just don't care for Kubrick and think people rate him better than he should be.

Even if people overrate him, he's still leagues ahead of Cameron. Kubrick's lesser work is better than Cameron's best.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SilentSoprano

While I'm not absolutely in love with Kubrick, I do think that he was rather great, and I have liked (or loved) most of what I've seen of his so far. Cameron, on the other hand, is preeeeetty mediocre. I won't lie - I have enjoyed some of his films, but that's about it. I've just enjoyed them. I haven't thought that they were very good on the whole.t3hrubikscube

Thanks for not being a douche.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#17 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
It just seems kind of like a joke cause you liked one of Kubricks worst movies (Though it's still fantastic) over his best films and then called him overrated even though he changed the way everyone looked at film. Kubrick is your favorite directors favorite director and if Kubrick is your favorite director then your taste in film has peaked.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SilentSoprano

Stanley Kubrick is definitely the more overrated director. God I hate his movies. Have you guys ever seen Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey? Those movies bored me to tears because they had no plot whatsoever. The only one I think is worth two asses is The Shining, but I much prefer the miniseries over that movie... James Cameron can at least make a movie that makes money - Stanley Kubrick couldn't even get a large crowd.Nerd_Man

I sense sarcasm...

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SilentSoprano

It just seems kind of like a joke cause you liked one of Kubricks worst movies (Though it's still fantastic) over his best films and then called him overrated even though he changed the way everyone looked at film. Kubrick is your favorite directors favorite director and if Kubrick is your favorite director then your taste in film has peaked. Toriko42

God forbid I don't agree with the film "experts." And please don't tell me you think FMJ was worse than Eyes Wide Shut.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

TC, have you seen The Killing and Paths of Glory? I think you would really like those films by Stanley Kubrick.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SilentSoprano

TC, have you seen The Killing and Paths of Glory? I think you would really like those films by Stanley Kubrick.

Jazz_Fan

No, I haven't gone that far back with him. Maybe I should.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

The premise is flawed. Kubrick isn't overrated and Cameron is washed up.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SilentSoprano

The premise is flawed. Kubrick isn't overrated and Cameron is washed up.

QuistisTrepe_

It's called an opinion, man I should have said that in the first post before you people got your panties in a bunch.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]

SilentSoprano

What have you seen?
Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

Kubrick is far from overrated. He deserves all praise he gets. Cameron on the other hand is just alright. I don't really bother with Cameron.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SilentSoprano

[QUOTE="SilentSoprano"]

[QUOTE="Jazz_Fan"]

sammyjenkis898

What have you seen?

Clockwork, 2001, The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, FMJ and some of Dr. Strangelove. I thought the book for Clockwork Orange was tons better, I just got so bored with the movie (it was after I read the book too). Only scene I liked from there was when they are walking along the riverbed and he shows his gang who's boss. Only thing I liked about 2001 was how he used the handheld camera style sometimes in a movie made in the 60s.

yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts

Kubrick is the best director of all time

Cameron isn't even worthy of licking Kubrick's boot

Toriko42
This is more or less what I was going to say. Saying Kubrick is overrated is completely ridiculous considering how obsessive he was over his movies, I mean he's one of the only directors in history who actually demanded perfection from himself. If you don't like his movies then fine, but implying that the man is a bad director is both insulting and laughable.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#30 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

This is more or less what I was going to say. Saying Kubrick is overrated is completely ridiculous considering how obsessive he was over his movies, I mean he's one of the only directors in history who actually demanded perfection from himself. If you don't like his movies then fine, but implying that the man is a bad director is both insulting and laughable. yabbicoke

Well, no. Stating that he is overrated is just stating that he is overrated, which is a judgement made against the average individual's view of his work. It is not specifically a statement about his obsession over his films or his ability to make films.

I think he's a fantastic director, yet I also think he's a bit overrated. The two are not mutually exclusive.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
James Cameron???? That sheep feeding *****
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Kubrick easily.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Although I hate using the term overrated I would definitely say Cameron belongs in that category. He really hasn't made anything too amazing. He is all visuals and no substance.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
Kubrick probably is overrated. I enjoyed Dr. Strangelove, but I don't care for any of his other work. The Shinning was alright, but thats about it. Christopher Nolan pwns all though.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44710 Posts
I like Kubrick because of how his movies are so vastly different, and even though they're dated somewhat they're still enjoyable to watch. I like James Cameron films though, like Aliens, Terminator 2, Abyss, wasn't so much of an Avatar fan though, was rather put off by it because my idiot of a New Age nut brother absolutely loves it and won't shut up about it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Who is the more overrated director? I honestly can't decide. Only Kubrick film I somewhat liked was Full Metal Jacket, and Terminator 1 and 2 were the only films by Cameron I cared for.

SilentSoprano

James Cameron is by far more overrated.

Stanley Kubrick was a freaking ARTIST, while James Cameron is just really good at making action movies.

Kubrick stimulates the mind, where Cameron is more about "****ing people's eyeballs."

Kubrick was always first and foremost a filmmaker, whereas Cameron comes off as a geek who just got some new toys to play with. Kubrick is more about ideas, Cameron is more about flashy showmanship.

James Cameron is by FAR more overrated, simply because anyone places him in the same league as Kubrick.

Don't get me wrong, James Cameron is great as what he does, but he's not exactly pushing any boundaries. He's not doing anything new or interesting, he's just making the same old **** look better. He's like Michael Bay, in an alternate universe in which Michael Bay actually had a brain. Yeah...I think that sums up Cameron pretty well. He's like Michael Bay, only not incompetent and stupid.

Bottom line...Kubrick is an artist, Cameron is an effects guy who is just really good at making movies. Cameron is better at making popular entertainment, while Kubrick is and always has been FAR more interesting than James Cameron can ever hope to be.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And here I was expecting a thread of praise. Either way, Cameron has crafted many more stinkers than Kubrick (True Lies being among the worst)... its just Kubrick's are veiled in an "art" vogue that give them the appearance of well-made films.

I think they have made some good films, but they are definitely not worthy of the endless praise they receive.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]Is this a joke?SilentSoprano

You don't have to like him. You can hate his movies, but you have GOTTA see that Cameron and Kubrick are working from two different areas.

Cameron makes well-done popular entertainment. That's it. Yes, his movies are entertaining and very well-made, but they're mostly fluff. He has a genuine talent for making entertaining and well-made movies, and uses that huge talent to make some of the most cheesy and lowest-common-denominator stuff you can think of. And...that is fine. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with sticking to the kinds of stuff that James Cameron does, and he does that kind of thing better than anyone else.

But Kubrick was an ARTIST. Kubrick was a man of IDEAS, he was a man who defied convention rather than churning out conventional fluff which was hidden behind a veil of great craftsmanship. Even when Kubrick churned out a failure, his failures were ALWAYS more interesting than anything that James Cameron could ever hope to churn out.

And that's the difference. Cameron is an excellent craftsman, Kubrick is a great artist. LIKING their work has nothing to do with it. I don't LIKE most of Cameron's movies, yet I can still admit that he is an excellent craftsman. But...he isn't pushing the boundaries of filmmaking. When he does push boundaries, it it ONLY in the areas of special effects and movie technology. That's it. He's a tech geek who's great at his craft, but he will NEVER be even half as artistically significant as Stanley Kubrick.

Raiden004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 Raiden004
Member since 2009 • 1605 Posts

I don't really know Stanley Kurbrick doing anything besides Full Metal Jacket. James Cameron is overrated. He deserves credit for Aliens, Terminator 1 and 2. But titanic and avatar are just overrated films that don't anything new or impressive.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrGeezer

Stanley Kubrick is definitely the more overrated director. God I hate his movies. Have you guys ever seen Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey? Those movies bored me to tears because they had no plot whatsoever. The only one I think is worth two asses is The Shining, but I much prefer the miniseries over that movie... James Cameron can at least make a movie that makes money - Stanley Kubrick couldn't even get a large crowd.Nerd_Man

2001 is a masterpiece far beyond anything that Cameron will ever make.

No plot? Sure it had a plot. It's just that the plot was secondary to the IDEAS conveyed. Again, 2001 was a movie of IDEAS, rather than "the **** that happened". 2001 absolutely has a plot, it's just that the plot doesn't matter nearly as much as the ideas which are communicated.

2001 is FAR more deeper and interesting than pop crap like Aliens and The Terminator (and I LOOOOOOOOVE Aliens and The Terminator).

"Boring"? That's exactly what I'm talking about. Cameron is an ENTERTAINER, while Kubrick is an ARTIST. Cameron feeds **** out to the masses, while Kubrick gives audiences enough credit to have to WORK in order to get the most out of his movies. Cameron makes well-made popular entertainment, while Kubrick makes ART. And if it's boring, then it's ****ing boring. It's not supposed to be goddamned fun.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
I have to pick Kubrick. I love Shining and Full Metal Jacket. Clockwork Orange was ok. I admit I have not seen many other films by him though I can't sit through 2001 it just bores me to death. Cameron did Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens, Abyss, True Lies. All films I at least like but they still don't measure up to the first 2 Kubrick films I mentioned in terms of quality. Plus I think Cameron is so full of himself it makes me sick whenever I read an interview he does
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
Full Metal Jacket is one of Kubrick's weakest films.
Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
Cameron is much better at putting a large project together, I would like to see Kubrick take on a project as big as something like Avatar or Titanic. That kind of thinking is beyond someone like Kubrick, but Cameron isn't as good at making films, he's more of a project manager type of director, with some insight into the artsy side of film (where someone like Michael Bay is purely a project manager type.) Kubrick is almost too artsy for me. I enjoyed Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, and A Clockwork Orange, but 2001 was easily the most boring movie I've ever watched. He sometimes forgets that you have to keep the audience entertained if you want them to stay engaged.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Stanley Kubrick is just great.

Camerons alright, though.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Kubrick easily.
HQ-almighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HQ-almighty
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

Quite an outlandish comparison and statement, but if I was to take these two as opponents to take the crown of the overrated: Cameron

Big-Shamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Big-Shamrock
Member since 2010 • 688 Posts
The comparison in any form doesn't make sense seeing as Cameron is just an action director while Kubrick is an art director. I actually wouldn't call either of them overrated because what they do they're great at it. Now if this was a comparison on who was better then Kubrick by miles.
herpderp9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 herpderp9000
Member since 2010 • 1128 Posts
Kubrick was one of the best directors of all time. Cameron is fail.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Full Metal Jacket is my least favourite Kubrick, oddly enough. The Terminator is great, and T2 and Aliens are both good, but Kubrick is the better director by a long shot. "Overrated" is a silly, over-used term.