Its hard dealing with christian parents.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

My parents are christian and i have been raised christian. But for the last year and a half I have not been christian. I don't believe in a God. But the thing is that they don't know. Its hard for me to tell them cause they would blame my friends, music, video games, and possibly what i watch on the TV or Internet. They would take it all away and they would force the bible on me and go all religiously crazy.

I'm 16 as a sophomore, I have two years left before college. It gets really hard having to deal with christian parents when they say crap like "you need to pray" or "read the bible it will guide you". Plus going to church almost every sunday gets annoying having to sit and wait for the pastor to shut up. You guys got any tips what i can do to deal with this? UPDATE: I don't wanna tell them mainly cause I'm afraid. They tend overreact to certain things. And I'm not sure how they would react to this. :(

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Run away. I hear that's what all the cool kids are doing today.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

tell them that your not christian

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
Never found church to be a hassle. Anyway be honest and tell them. If you aren't going to do that then nothing more can be done and you'll have to deal with the situation as is.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Well, before I can give you one of my bright pearls of wisdom, I'll need to ask you a question: how do you think your parents would react if you told them that you don't believe in God?

Kaisos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kaisos
Member since 2006 • 375 Posts

Why tell them about personal things they're your parents your supposed to tell them things that make your life easier, you gain nothing from this.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
Tell them that some things fill your existence and some not. And you are becoming who you will be in the future. Then tell them, sorry, but christianity is not for you, but that doesnt mean that you will be a bad person. Just with different beliefs.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

you should just lie about it, raise the roof and shout a few amens every once in awhile and everyone will leave you be.

it does not really hurt anything and the amount of prejudice you face is more trouble than it is worth.

hell, even galileo recanted so don't feel bad.

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Well, before I can give you one of my bright pearls of wisdom, I'll need to ask you a question: how do you think your parents would react if you told them that you don't believe in God?

GreySeal9

I know them really well. They tend to overreact to things that happen.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Well first, stop having that "I'm right and you're not, your beliefs are a waste of time" attitude. You don't want your parents treating your beliefs as wrong, stupid or something that needs to be changed, so at least have minimal respect and realize that while you may not enjoy church, or believe in their ideas or their religion, you still have to give respect to get respect. If you are respectful about their beliefs, you have a better chance of not sounding like every other teenager who rebels against their parents, and you might be given a bit of credibility. They might even respect your decision if you don't act like you're above them. You'll be 18 in 2 years, feel free to move out and not have to attend church anymore.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Run away. I hear that's what all the cool kids are doing today.cd_rom
I wasn't cool enough :(
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

My parents are christian and i have been raised christian. But for the last year and a half I have not been christian. I don't believe in a God. But the thing is that they don't know. Its hard for me to tell them cause they would blame my friends, music, video games, and possibly what i watch on the TV or Internet. They would take it all away and they would force the bible on me and go all religiously crazy.

I'm 16 as a sophomore, I have two years left before college. It gets really hard having to deal with christian parents when they say crap like "you need to pray" or "read the bible it will guide you". Plus going to church almost every sunday gets annoying having to sit and wait for the pastor to shut up. You guys got any tips what i can do to deal with this?

ToastRider11
I dropped God when I was five, but still had to attend Church every Sunday all the way through confirmation. I think you can handle two years.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

When I stopped being Protestant, I flat out told my mom.

Kaisos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kaisos
Member since 2006 • 375 Posts

The only person you should be telling that your an Atheist is yourself no one cares about your beliefs people will just consider you arrogant for being one. Never use the word atheist when stating your beliefs let the other person find out. Anyone who tells you to tell your parents that you're an atheist is a not sharp.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Your parents support you. They feed you, clothe you and put a roof over your head. The least you can do is humor them for a few years. There's no reason to draw attention to the fact that you don't believe in god. Just keep it to yourself.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

ToastRider11

I know them really well. They tend to overreact to things that happen.

Well, then you shouldn't tell them or at least wait until you're an adult.

My Mom is a pretty hardcore Christian (though she is a hardcore Democrat as well) and she is fine with me to not being a Christian. Your parents don't sound like the types that would respect your decision, so you're better off just going through the motions. Being told to read the Bible and attending church isn't going to hurt you and you'll probably be out on your own in two years anyhow.

It sucks that some parents can't be understanding when their kids lose their faith or become athiests/agnostics, but they still are your parents, and as someone who thinks that family is one of the most important things in life, I don't think one's beliefs are worth burning family bridges.

If I were you, I would just keep going through the motions.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Suck it up and bear with it until you live by yourself. Then you can tell them.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
ive never had to choose, but i can say that i value tv,books, internet, films and all sorts of things over saying "im an atheist." if i had to choose, i know what my decisions would be. but you never know. my mom slapped me when i first told her ( :lol: ), but shes an atheist now too.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Just do what your parents ask, it's not going to hurt you.
FrostMTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FrostMTG
Member since 2010 • 471 Posts

How about you man up and tell them you're not a Christian?

this topic should end with this post.

Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zyrokin
Member since 2010 • 1756 Posts

I'm 16 as a sophomore, I have two years left before college. It gets really hard having to deal with christian parents when they say crap like "you need to pray" or "read the bible it will guide you". Plus going to church almost every sunday gets annoying having to sit and wait for the pastor to shut up. You guys got any tips what i can do to deal with this? UPDATE: I don't wanna tell them mainly cause I'm afraid. They tend overreact to certain things. And I'm not sure how they would react to this. :(

ToastRider11

Part of being a child is dealing with your parents rules. You live in their household, you deal with it. Get yourself emancipated and move out if it is that big of an issue for you. If you tell them, they will pressure you and impose what you will call unfair rules. Either deal with hiding it, or deal with the consequences of telling them. Honestly, going along with your parents wishes and making them happy isn't that hard, way better than having to support yourself or pissing your parents off. Suck it up, your still a kid, learn a little bit. Now that your brain is more mature, use church as a learning stone, make the best of it. Read the bible like they want, but do it to better your knowledge. Make the best of your situation, quit acting like a victim.

Cloud418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cloud418
Member since 2005 • 1969 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Well first, stop having that "I'm right and you're not, your beliefs are a waste of time" attitude. You don't want your parents treating your beliefs as wrong, stupid or something that needs to be changed, so at least have minimal respect and realize that while you may not enjoy church, or believe in their ideas or their religion, you still have to give respect to get respect. If you are respectful about their beliefs, you have a better chance of not sounding like every other teenager who rebels against their parents, and you might be given a bit of credibility. They might even respect your decision if you don't act like you're above them. You'll be 18 in 2 years, feel free to move out and not have to attend church anymore.

This actually a very good response. Kudos
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Start reading another religious text and see what their reaction is. I suggest the Qur'an, with a good translation, it is actually a pretty good read.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Ask them if they've read the bible say this " What's on page 2?".
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreySeal9

How about you man up and tell them you're not a Christian?

this topic should end with this post.

FrostMTG

Ugh, I hate when people think their post is good enough to end a thread.

Anyway, telling them is not always the best solution. It could make the environment needlessly hostile.

Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zyrokin

Start reading another religious text and see what their reaction is. I suggest the Qur'an, with a good translation, it is actually a pretty good read.

foxhound_fox

I agree with this. Although, I would just say you are broadening your horizons to know what is out there.

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Yeah, I don't want to imagine what it'd be like. Luckily my mother is the only religious person here, and she doesn't mind my stance on not going to church.
Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

Don't concern yourself with it. There's so much cool stuff out there you could be thinking about instead.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.
Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zyrokin

Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.KHAndAnime

Betcha there is the same percentage of Atheist parents to any belief style/system/religion that would be up in arms if their child chose something different.

I could see it now, Atheist parents child tells them he is a Christian. Atheist parents ask child why he still believes in mythology or fantasies. Parents be parents, don't act like Atheists are so much greater, just so happens that you believe you the same thing as your parents, so it works out.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.KHAndAnime
You can't say that unless you have experience with choosing a different belief set than said parents....otherwise...it's unknown.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.Zyrokin

Betcha there is the same percentage of Atheist parents to any belief style/system/religion that would be up in arms if their child chose something different.

I could see it now, Atheist parents child tells them he is a Christian. Atheist parents ask child why he still believes in mythology or fantasies. Parents be parents, don't act like Atheists are so much greater, just so happens that you believe you the same thing as your parents, so it works out.

I'm glad my parents don't give a **** about what I believe, as long as its not something extreme or hurtful to others.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.Zyrokin

Eh, probably not. My parents didn't force it on me, my friends parents didn't force it on them, etc. The 'forcing' is more of a Christian thing. Chrstians think they're doing people a good thing by converting them. Atheism doesn't carry that mindset, and it's not an atheists responsibility to share their religion (or lack of).

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Pray more.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Zyrokin"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.KHAndAnime

Eh, probably not. My parents didn't force it on me, my friends parents didn't force it on them, etc. The 'forcing' is more of a Christian thing. Chrstians think they're doing people a good thing by converting them. Atheism doesn't carry that mindset, and it's not an atheists responsibility to share their religion (or lack of).

Depends on the atheist. Some do try to "convert".
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts
I had these friends that were brothers that basically left their family when the younger one was 18, they told me their parents were crazy, they went on an abusive tirade when they were caught playing Magic the Gathering because one of the cards had a pentagram on it. I had these two cousins that lived near my parents, they were really cool and I used to go over at their house all the time to play with them. Then my parents relationship with their parents fell apart because the mother is crazy. Besides thinking that her sisters and her mother and the world itself was working against her, she started watching the 700 Club, absorbing every piece of conservative Christian media, and she basically yanked her kids from school and started homeschooling them with those uber right wing Christian homeschooling kits, brainwashing them, and they basically fled Seattle because it was too liberal to live in Arizona. Sad thing is my cousins dad is completely sane but totally whipped. And my cousins aren't the same anymore, now they totally take after their mother. When my dad's dad died that left my grandmother by herself. Being old and such she made friends where she could find other people her age, those Johovah's Witness groups, thought it was funny too because she doesn't speak a lick of English yet she understood their theology, and so my aunt and her daughters moved in with my grandmother to watch after her and by the time Christmas came around my grandmother forbade they be allowed to celebrate Christmas, so basically in the smallest room in the house my grandmother never went into you had my aunt and her 5 daughters crammed in their with a Christmas tree to exchange presents in secret.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.LJS9502_basic
You can't say that unless you have experience with choosing a different belief set than said parents....otherwise...it's unknown.

I can say that because I'm glad they share my beliefs. I'm not commenting on their tolerance of other religion (though they're quite tolerant, both grew up in Christian households) :)
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I see no reason to rush to tell them. It will just cause needless problems that will create a hustle environment. You know your parents. If they are open minded then go ahead. If they are closed minded then it really makes no sense to rush it.
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Poor TC, I feel really terrible for you. Your parents only bought you into this world, raised you, fed you and clothed you yet you can't even allow them the pleasure of giving you advice like 'read the Bible' which is obviously something important to them. Seriously, just do what your parents tell you to do, you owe them that much. Once you move out and start paying your own bills, then do as you please.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="Zyrokin"]

LJS9502_basic

It's true, but I'd say there's a lower percentage of Atheist recruiters than Christian recruiters. Atheists don't even have churches.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

foxhound_fox

This could actually be used as a pretty good baiting tactic to see how they react to something that isn't their religion. You can always tell them you are only reading it for informative purposes only. To get a better understanding of others beliefs so you don't base your opinions of other religions on ignorance. I can't think of much they could say against that without coming across like ignorant xenphobes.

This puts you in a position of leverage. It puts you in the right. Here you are trying to expande your knowledge base, to learn new things, and if they speak out against that it's based directly on their religion. It's a powerful point to work on. The idea that ones religion should not stifle or prevent someone from gaining knowledge and a better understanding of things.

Of course this all requires a lot of tact. Something I'm aware most teenagers don't have. It requires you to remain calm and logical and respectful through the entire situation. Especially if they freak out. You losing your cool just gives them an excuse to continue to overreact.

Also if you do tell them what you think, I would avoid directly saying you don't believe in god. Also avoid the word Athiest. Be vauge, say that all the church going and bible reading just isn't doing anything for you. It's not spiritually fufilling, that you need to figure out what you believe for yourself. In short ask for some breathing room in this regard.

If you don't want to go down that road, I suggest looking at the religion in a different light. Stop thinking of it as a chore or religion at all. For example: For all intents and purposes I live like an athiest. I however am a very spiritual person. I am also facinated with religious history and mythology. I analyze the the stories and research the truth behind them. I read books and watch TV on things like the cursades, the salem witch trials, the seven deadly sins, Noahs arc, ect. I examine the social and psychological impact religion has on people.

EDIT: If your parents are as fanatical as you say. I would highly suggest reading the Bible. Most christians have no read it in full, and even fewer really understand it. Using their own religion to show them they are being very unchristian is also a viable suggestion.

Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zyrokin

[QUOTE="Zyrokin"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Reading this thread makes me very happy to have atheist parents.KHAndAnime

Here, let me put it this way. The people that opposite sides often notice or see are the loud and obnoxious ones, or the ones that leave a bad impression. Often the extreme Christians in your case, as it appears. All religions do this as well.

Atheism has many different types of personalities all the same, and because of this we run into many that do the same thing as these extreme Christians. For example, every time a Christian says, "You are going to hell for not believing in God," it gives the same impression of the person saying it as an Atheist saying, "You are weak minded and believe in fairy tales." Both of these I hear on about the same regular basis, both irritate me to all end.

Now count yourself lucky that your parents don't force their beliefs on you, as unless the parents are agnostic, in general they like to impose their wills on their children.

Loco_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Loco_Live
Member since 2010 • 3147 Posts

▲ Show them your horns. ▲

Zyrokin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zyrokin

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

KHAndAnime

It's true, but I'd say there's a lower percentage of Atheist recruiters than Christian recruiters. Atheists don't even have churches.

Lower percentage is a improbable guess at best. Just knowing human psychology. Would be interested in those findings though, would be a good research project.

And Atheist Churches are Universities. I kid I kid, was an easy shot to take.

Bladecutter56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 Bladecutter56
Member since 2006 • 2081 Posts

You just need to have a stronger will than they do. What'll they do, throw you out on the street? That's illegal nowadays if the child is under 18, I believe. And since you're going to college when you're 18 anyway, would it really matter? What's the worst they can do to you?

Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
Ugh, to you guys saying "Just tell them", you're being as useless as you can get... Do you honestly think it never once occured to OP to just do that, but he can't, he's here asking for a different solution...
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#47 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

ToastRider11

Why do you think they would want to try and reach you out to the Bible? Is it because they love you? Is it because they don't want you to stray from the path of God? Because they love you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
Ugh, to you guys saying "Just tell them", you're being as useless as you can get... Do you honestly think it never once occured to OP to just do that, but he can't, he's here asking for a different solution...Mr_Alexander
We know nothing about his family and how they would react. so no answer here would be a good one.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

If they'll be overreactive, then I'd just deal w/ it for two years.