Isn't every mall basically the same???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

backinthekrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 backinthekrak
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts

Ok, some are newer & nicer than others but essentially every mall (at least in the US & Canada, anyway...) has anchor stores like Sears, JC Penny and a better, more upscale department store like Dillards, Neiman Marcus, Sachs 5th Avenue, or whatever and then THE EXACT SAME stores out in the mall itself - Gap, Limited, Victoria's Secret, American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, etc. The food court MIGHT be different from place to place but that's only because local restaurant chains can sometimes get a spot. It doesn't matter if you live in Miami, Chicago, Vancouver or LA - we all shop in the SAME places. It makes me laugh when people - usually women - get all excited about going to the mall when they are visiting a different city.... Do you really think they are going have DIFFERENT shoes or clothes or whatever in the new place????

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

when I go to san diego I have to go to 2 malls, one has puma and american eagle, the other one has armani exchange and abercrombie

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Yes they are similar. The annoying people are the same.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Everywhere around the world is eventually going to present an identical indoor shopping experience while all the established local businesses are going to be starved out before the price hikes. Sucks, does it not?
Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
It's the same thing over here. But ofcourse with shops different than the ones you have.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No. The malls here in San Diego are dumps, small, and really old. There are a lot of malls in the country that are world famous and have ice skating, movies theaters, etc.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Of course majority of Malls are all basicly the same.. they are Malls.. they are all the same concept.. why wouldnt they be?

Wae416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Wae416
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts

Ok, some are newer & nicer than others but essentially every mall (at least in the US & Canada, anyway...) has anchor stores like Sears, JC Penny and a better, more upscale department store like Dillards, Neiman Marcus, Sachs 5th Avenue, or whatever and then THE EXACT SAME stores out in the mall itself - Gap, Limited, Victoria's Secret, American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, etc. The food court MIGHT be different from place to place but that's only because local restaurant chains can sometimes get a spot. It doesn't matter if you live in Miami, Chicago, Vancouver or LA - we all shop in the SAME places. It makes me laugh when people - usually women - get all excited about going to the mall when they are visiting a different city.... Do you really think they are going have DIFFERENT shoes or clothes or whatever in the new place????

backinthekrak

We don't have any upscale stores here.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

In my local mall we have most of those basic stores, but we don't have other random stores like Detox (it comes to mind cause I believe its the only place in the province I can find a certain kind of shoe I like. >_______>).
Different stores other malls have that we don't that I can't think of off hand are good.

We only recently got an HMV and a Taco Bell/KFC in our mall. :P Now I don't have to go an extra 5 blocks. :)

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
yes, most malls are the same. They have the main stores I'm interested in, such as Champs and foot locker, so to be honest it's just a matter of which mall has a better "vibe" to me.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Sometimes shops have different stock.
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Sometimes shops have different stock. th3warr1or

^This is true. and sometimes it might be worth driving another 30 minutes to another mall to get something that some jerk got to buy before you. :P

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

if I lived in the US I'd never go to malls, I'd just order everything online

shahchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 shahchip
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts

backinthekrak
I dont know what half the stuff you said is... But... my city does have one of the biggest malls in the world.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Some malls are a lot bigger than others, and thus have many stores that are not in most malls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts
Yes.
jrnhanie0310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jrnhanie0310
Member since 2006 • 15177 Posts

I've been to a few malls here in the U.S. and none of them compare to the Philippines malls. The Philippines malls are amazing!

PhantomSpartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PhantomSpartan
Member since 2005 • 958 Posts

I've been to a few malls here in the U.S. and none of them compare to the Philippines malls. The Philippines malls are amazing!

jrnhanie0310

The malls there are as common as seeing a McDonalds here. They could use all that money to clean up the streets:x

but the Mall of Asia is freaking awesome!!

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

We have a unique Mall in Cornwall known as Kingsley Village, which totally debunks this whole topic i'm sorry.

This mall contains stuff made from Cornwall and shops from local buisnesses. Pretty much, it's a Cornish Mall. I think the most foreign thing you'll find is a can of Coca Cola.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
The only thing I find in common with malls are annoying teenagers and overpriced products.
On3ShotOneKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 On3ShotOneKill
Member since 2008 • 1219 Posts

There's a Supermall in Alabama I went to one time, that had 4 stories and a 3-4 star hotel in it. I don't like shopping, but that place was epic. The area it was in also had dozens of stores, resturaunts, etc. It was a very nice area. Can't remember the name though.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Evil_Saluki

The only thing I find in common with malls are annoying teenagers and overpriced products.Wilfred_Owen

Also the mall I linked above doesn't contain teenagers, since it's linked to a moterway not a city. You need to drive to get to it, so you don't get kids hanging around.

Admittedly, it's not as big as most malls. I think the nearest major Mall to meis Drakes Circus in Plymouth, which is pretty much your standard issue mall.

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
Ya I go to bigger cities to get different stuff, a lot more selection.
FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

You've clearly never been to West Edmonton Mall in Canada! Three story mall with every damn store that you could imagine, the worlds largest indoor water park and wave pool, the worlds largest indoor amusement park with tons of roller coasters and sick rides, a dolphin and sea lion show, a bungee jump tower, an indoor hockey rink at the center of the mall, an 18 hole mini golf course, several movie theatres, a bowling alley, stage for musical performers, an indoor shooting range, petting zoo, replica Christopher Columbus' ship - the Santa Maria, a night club, a flock of pink flamingos (yes, flamingos..), several resteraunts, and even a china town. Can't say I've been to any other malls like it. :P

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Evil_Saluki

You've clearly never been to West Edmonton Mall in Canada! Three story mall with every damn store that you could imagine, the worlds largest indoor water park and wave pool, the worlds largest indoor amusement park with tons of roller coasters and sick rides, a dolphin and sea lion show, a bungee jump tower, an indoor hockey rink at the center of the mall, an 18 hole mini golf course, several movie theatres, a bowling alley, stage for musical performers, an indoor shooting range, petting zoo, replica Christopher Columbus' ship - the Santa Maria, a night club, a flock of pink flamingos (yes, flamingos..), several resteraunts, and even a china town. Can't say I've been to any other malls like it. :P

FlyingArmbar

And the power to run it costs three third world countries to black out. If it was in America it'll be where the next planes headed.

Oh yes I did!

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
My mall has like, none of those stores TC. Several of those I haven't even heard of...
NinjaDuckling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NinjaDuckling
Member since 2009 • 965 Posts
They may be similar, but stores have different stocks. Also, Abercrombie for the win :D
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
essentially every mall (at least in the US & Canada, anyway...)backinthekrak
Yes; note the adjective "essentially". But you're almost speaking as if the malls are "identical". They're not. People go to dfiferent malls that are within the same area (or a different area, where, for starters, the entire feel (yes, that does play a factor in the exprience some people have at malls) of a mall changes) for diffferent reasons, and those reasons span much farther than factors based on the stores the malls contain. So yes, malls are "essentially" and "basically" the same, in the sense that they all consist of a similar makeup of stores and structure.