Is there a universal set of moral codes?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes. chessmaster1989
Yes, I think there is. As for your point here: why would absolute truth need to be dictated? No one 'dictated' that 1+1=2; it just is. Couldn't morality be the same?
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts
yes, didn't you get the memo at birth?
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
yes, didn't you get the memo at birth?tocklestein2005
:lol: Exquisite.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes. Funky_Llama
Yes, I think there is. As for your point here: why would absolute truth need to be dictated? No one 'dictated' that 1+1=2; it just is. Couldn't morality be the same?

1+1 = 2 (where 1, 2 are real numbers) is an accepted principle in the construction of mathematics-there is a difference. It WAS dictated that 1+1 = 2 when mathematics was created, else we would not have it.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes. chessmaster1989

1+1 = 2 (where 1, 2 are real numbers) is an accepted principle in the construction of mathematics-there is a difference. It WAS dictated that 1+1 = 2 when mathematics was created, else we would not have it.

No it wasn't. No one dictated that it is true. If I have one object and put with that another object, I have two objects in total. Are you suggesting that it is an arbitrary that be deem the sum of those two objects to be, er, two?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I believe there is a universal set of morals. However, the interpretation of those morals may change across different cultures and between people. I suppose it might be best said that one knows how one should act, following through with those morals is a different story.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No. Morality is completely subjective. However, there are fundamental secular morals in which are derived from our perceived notions of wanting to be treated respectfully and without harm coming to our person. Which is why we as a society, have come to agree on certain universal wrongs such as murder, theft and rape.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I believe "no killing" would be a part of those universal set of moral codes.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Yes, I think there is. As for your point here: why would absolute truth need to be dictated? No one 'dictated' that 1+1=2; it just is. Couldn't morality be the same?Funky_Llama

No it wasn't. No one dictated that it is true. If I have one object and put with that another object, I have two objects in total. Are you suggesting that it is an arbitrary that be deem the sum of those two objects to be, er, two?

Yes, it was. The word "two" exists because it means an object and another object (i.e. 1 + 1). Someone must, then, have created the word "two," hence 1+1 = 2 was dictated.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
when you get that tingly feeling in your balls you know you have violated some moral code.
The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_One_White
Member since 2006 • 1417 Posts
Morals are relative. What people take for a universal set of morals are the set of morals held by the majority. During the Crusades for example, it was thought morally right to kill Muslims, nowadays we don't.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Yes, it was. The word "two" exists because it means an object and another object (i.e. 1 + 1). Someone must, then, have created the word "two," hence 1+1 = 2 was dictated.

I'm not talking about the word 'two', I'm talking about the concept of two things. Nice try though.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Funky_Llama
Morals are relative. What people take for a universal set of morals are the set of morals held by the majority. During the Crusades for example, it was thought morally right to kill Muslims, nowadays we don't. The_One_White
Sure, it was thought morally right, but that doesn't mean that it was.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
I don't even know what that would mean. I assume what most people who would answer "yes" to this mean by "universal set of moral codes" is "opinion of a deity or deities."
The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_One_White
[QUOTE="The_One_White"]Morals are relative. What people take for a universal set of morals are the set of morals held by the majority. During the Crusades for example, it was thought morally right to kill Muslims, nowadays we don't. Funky_Llama

By our standards no it wasn't but thats what I'm saying, morals are relative to what the majority of people concieve is right and wrong.
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes. chessmaster1989
Yes i would think... everyone should know.. dont kill or rape people... and treat others how you want to be treated..... but some people just dont give a *beep*
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="The_One_White"]Morals are relative. What people take for a universal set of morals are the set of morals held by the majority. During the Crusades for example, it was thought morally right to kill Muslims, nowadays we don't. The_One_White

By our standards no it wasn't but thats what I'm saying, morals are relative to what the majority of people concieve is right and wrong.

How do you know?
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Aesop's fables. Everybody has heard of them.
Avatar image for NoSpeakyEnglish
NoSpeakyEnglish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NoSpeakyEnglish
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
I believe "no killing" would be a part of those universal set of moral codes. majadamus
Not to a serial killer.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpaceMoose
[QUOTE="The_One_White"]By our standards no it wasn't but thats what I'm saying, morals are relative to what the majority of people concieve is right and wrong.Funky_Llama
How do you know?

What you are you getting at, that it's the opinion of God what is right or wrong? Even if it is an all powerful being's opinion, it's still an opinion.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Nope there's no universal set of moral codes, only what people think and feel about things. Is there a universal concept of beauty? Nope, same problem.
HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts

the 7 laws of Noah- Laws for all mankind

Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God.
Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder.
Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.
Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: You shall not commit adultery.
Prohibition of Blasphemy: You shall not blaspheme God's name.
Dietary Law: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive.
Requirement to have just Laws: You shall set up an effective judiciary to enforce the preceding six laws fairly.

The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_One_White
[QUOTE="The_One_White"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Sure, it was thought morally right, but that doesn't mean that it was.Funky_Llama

How do you know?

So you think there has always been a set moral code? So did someone like Stalin have the same moral code as you? Did he know he was doing horrendous things? No one knows but I'm guessing that he though he was right in doing it.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
There is no absolute truth in morality. 'Tis all relative.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

Nope there's no universal set of moral codes, only what people think and feel about things. Is there a universal concept of beauty? Nope, same problem.domatron23

If you go by the philosophy of Plato, there are, indeed, universal Forms to morals and to beauty (and many, many other things besides). It is simply that virtually everyone is incapable of seeing these Forms in their complete...forms. One needs to pursue knowledge of these Forms to their utmost in order to get a mere glimpse of their wholeness, with the exception of the Form of beauty, for which glimpses are brought about by seeing people that actually fit it.

The Phaedrus is an extremely interesting work :)

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SpaceMoose

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Nope there's no universal set of moral codes, only what people think and feel about things. Is there a universal concept of beauty? Nope, same problem.thepwninator

If you go by the philosophy of Plato, there are, indeed, universal Forms to morals and to beauty (and many, many other things besides). It is simply that virtually everyone is incapable of seeing these Forms in their complete...forms. One needs to pursue knowledge of these Forms to their utmost in order to get a mere glimpse of their wholeness, with the exception of the Form of beauty, for which glimpses are brought about by seeing people that actually fit it.

I guess I don't go by the philosophy of Plato...
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Nope there's no universal set of moral codes, only what people think and feel about things. Is there a universal concept of beauty? Nope, same problem.thepwninator

Memory serves it had nothing to do with ideals such as Beauty, and I think your going about the philosopher king in the second part. That the majority of people are infact shackled to a cave wall and really only see shadows, the cheap imitations of reality that they live by.. The king is unshackled and is capable of goign on about that.. Beauty, and other ideas such as what is a chair, we see in real life are cheap imitations to the perfect form of a chair, though we can not explain how exactly chair is in its perfect form.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]No it wasn't. No one dictated that it is true. If I have one object and put with that another object, I have two objects in total. Are you suggesting that it is an arbitrary that be deem the sum of those two objects to be, er, two?Funky_Llama

I'm not talking about the word 'two', I'm talking about the concept of two things. Nice try though.

Yes, and I am arguing that the concept exists because it was created. That is to say, 1 + 1 = 2 because we say it's true.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="thepwninator"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"]Nope there's no universal set of moral codes, only what people think and feel about things. Is there a universal concept of beauty? Nope, same problem.sSubZerOo

Memory serves it had nothing to do with ideals such as Beauty, and I think your going about the philosopher king in the second part. That the majority of people are infact shackled to a cave wall and really only see shadows, the cheap imitations of reality that they live by.. The king is unshackled and is capable of goign on about that.. Beauty, and other ideas such as what is a chair, we see in real life are cheap imitations to the perfect form of a chair, though we can not explain how exactly chair is in its perfect form.

Ah, that would be Plato's allegory of the caves, and Plato's theory of forms.

I must say, I'm not a big fan of the theory of forms. Come to mention it, I was asked in an essay whether the theory of forms actually told us anything about the physical world -- I made a vague connection between the theory and genetic mutation -- which I was quite pleased with actually. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58188738395f3
deactivated-58188738395f3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-58188738395f3
Member since 2008 • 1161 Posts

It doesn't necessarily have to be God or Gods. It can also be humans who decide on a universal set of moral codes.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God. Why would this be a universal law? I don't see why any government in this day and age would have a problem with worshipping a statue or of the like.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clembo1990
[QUOTE="domatron23"]Nope there's no universal set of moral codes, only what people think and feel about things. Is there a universal concept of beauty? Nope, same problem.

Everyone would say Eva Longoria is hawt. Nobody would call Rosie O'Donnell hawt. I'll run a poll to prove it, lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59d151f079814
Of course not, whether it has been broken/condoned/changed, cultures through out time have had dramatically different set standards.. We think murder is wrong, but many such as the Vikings did not.. In fact a certain viking leader was made fun by the others because he would spare children.. Human sacrifice alot of times unwillingly happened constantly in alot of societies.. Hell SLAVERY now considered absolutely WRONG, still goes on and in the western nations it has only been a small 3 centuries sense we strayed away from it! Did you guys know that farts at around 1200's were considered funny and a great sign of vitality? But at around the 1600s if done in a court it was of great insult, a insult so great.. That a certain Duke of England who broke wind while kneeling to the Queen broke wind went into a seven year self exile for the affront? Infact the duke became so obessesed with it that even when coming back he became secluded and hermit? All because of a fart!
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Yes, and I am arguing that the concept exists because it was created. That is to say, 1 + 1 = 2 because we say it's true.

chessmaster1989
So you're saying that if we called "two" something else, it wouldn't basically be: You have one unit of apple. Another one unit is given to you. You now have double the original units of apple. Or, two units.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes. X4D

It doesn't necessarily have to be God or Gods. It can also be humans who decide on a universal set of moral codes.

Those arn't universal because they did not exist at its inception.. When we mean universal, we mean a moral in every culture in every time that all human inherintly know and follow.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes. X4D

I disagree. No one person's opinions on morals are any more valid than another's, nor is one group's opinions any more valid than another's. If but one person disagrees with a certain 'universal' moral value, then it is no longer universal. Nor would the fact that everyone agrees on a moral value indicate that it is a universal moral value, for there is still the potential for belief in it (and if someone wants to contest this, I respond that, by that logic, nobody can believe that Jesus was the son of God, since, before Jesus' birth, nobody believed that he was).

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Humans get confused on this issue because of the following reasons... humans can only think two ways. Objectively, or subjectively. The problem is both are very limited forms of thinking and grant no flexibility when it comes to absolute truth. Both exist. WE acknowledge both, but we deny one, and praise the other. It's really a silly way to approach life.

There is a reason both exist.

There is a universal set of moral codes.. the only thing is it changes from universe to universe. But then again I don't know how many of you accept the idea of the multiverse. Everything has a variation of an infinite possibility of out comes existing some place else. Now many of you will have a hard time believing this. But it in the future it will be the accepted reality of everyone.

R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
They're called human rights, and the UN sort of enforces them, at least they're suppossed to
FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts
If their wasn't, how would civilizations across the world come up with similar laws and rules?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

There is a universal set of moral codes.. the only thing is it changes from universe to universe. But then again I don't know how many of you accept the idea of the multiverse. Everything has a variation of an infinite possibility of out comes existing some place else. Now many of you will have a hard time believing this. But it in the future it will be the accepted reality of everyone.

EMOEVOLUTION
Figure this out all by yourself? Or did you have help from someone from another part of the multiverse?
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]

Jandurin

Figure this out all by yourself? Or did you have help from someone from another part of the multiverse?

Of course he didnt... you can tell hes from the future:roll:

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chessmaster1989

If their wasn't, how would civilizations across the world come up with similar laws and rules?FalcoLX

No offense, but that is a bogus argument. The fact that many people abide by a similar set of codes does not prove those codes are universal. That's like arguing that something is true because a majority of people believe it to be true.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Imo, there is not. I believe that a universal set of moral codes can only exist if there is someone with the authority to dictate that they are the universal set, i.e. a god or gods. Since I do not believe there is a god or gods, I do not believe there is a universal set of moral codes. Funky_Llama

There's a big difference there: "1 + 1 = 2" is a simple statement of fact. "Killing is bad" is a value statement, effectively talking about what should be the case (people should not kill), as opposed to simply what is the case. For something to be objectively the case, it must be provably true, and there is certainly no way to prove someone wrong who disagrees with a value statement.
If their wasn't, how would civilizations across the world come up with similar laws and rules?FalcoLX
It's obviously beneficial to the well-being and survival of any society for their members not to kill each other. That doesn't make any of the laws and rules univeral morals, however (what would it even mean for something to be a universal moral?).
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="The_One_White"]By our standards no it wasn't but thats what I'm saying, morals are relative to what the majority of people concieve is right and wrong.SpaceMoose
How do you know?

What you are you getting at, that it's the opinion of God what is right or wrong? Even if it is an all powerful being's opinion, it's still an opinion.

What I am getting at is that humans' opinions do not define right and wrong any more than me thinking that 2*2=3 makes it so.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Yes, I think there is. As for your point here: why would absolute truth need to be dictated? No one 'dictated' that 1+1=2; it just is. Couldn't morality be the same?GabuEx
There's a big difference there: "1 + 1 = 2" is a simple statement of fact. "Killing is bad" is a value statement, effectively talking about what should be the case (people should not kill), as opposed to simply what is the case. For something to be objectively the case, it must be provably true, and there is certainly no way to prove someone wrong who disagrees with a value statement.
It's obviously beneficial to the well-being and survival of any society for their members not to kill each other. That doesn't make any of the laws and rules univeral morals, however (what would it even mean for something to be a universal moral?).

Yeah, but it would still be an objective fact that 'people should not kill'.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clembo1990

[QUOTE="FalcoLX"]If their wasn't, how would civilizations across the world come up with similar laws and rules?chessmaster1989

No offense, but that is a bogus argument. The fact that many people abide by a similar set of codes does not prove those codes are universal. That's like arguing that something is true because a majority of people believe it to be true.

What do you think a moral is? Its nature successfully liaising with civilisation, a harmony between getting what we want and the effect it has on other people. Its reason, if we didn't have it humans wouldn't have built mud huts next to each other and make civilisation.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i like how people keep referring to math. the whole 1+1 = 2 statement, there are some maths that teach that indeed 1+1 doesn't equal 2 (numerical base systems) so this idea is flawed. as for a set of universal moral codes, simply put. no, there isn't. morality is something taught and learned. i don't personally believe much in morality. there is an exception to every rule (as proven by the math statement above)

next up, math is an entirely theoretical system of description. 1,2,3 these things don't exist, they're imagined.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Funky_Llama

i like how people keep referring to math. the whole 1+1 = 2 statement, there are some maths that teach that indeed 1+1 doesn't equal 2 (numerical base systems) so this idea is flawed. as for a set of universal moral codes, simply put. no, there isn't. morality is something taught and learned. i don't personally believe much in morality. there is an exception to every rule (as proven by the math statement above)

next up, math is an entirely theoretical system of description. 1,2,3 these things don't exist, they're imagined.

z4twenny
You're completely missing the point, but, humouring you for no reason: in base 10, 1+1=2. Happy?