Is the Job of an Author good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 004050
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts

? im maybe gonna become an Author, ive always written books when im bored...and i find them quite good.

so, is the job 'Author' good?

and i know that it depends if your a good writer.

jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

Most books only sell a few thousand copies at best. Publishers generally keep most of the proceeds. You might get 15-20% royalties if you're lucky. Horrible money, as is anything that's only creativity based.

If you want to "write" as a career, try technical writing. It ain't fun, but it's one of the few writing disciplines that's actually worth something (generally speaking).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 004050
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts

Most books only sell a few thousand copies. Publishers generally keep most of the proceeds. You might get 15-20% royalties if you're lucky. Horrible money, as is anything that's only creativity based.

If you want to "write" as a career, try technical writing. It ain't fun, but it's one of the few writing disciplines that's actually worth something (generally speaking).

jetpower3

Thanks!

ill try it out.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Its about writing something people want to read, thats all there is to it.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#5 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Most books only sell a few thousand copies at best. Publishers generally keep most of the proceeds. You might get 15-20% royalties if you're lucky. Horrible money, as is anything that's only creativity based.

jetpower3
by technical writing you mean writing manuals? because if i were a writer i'd rather just stay poorer and at least be satisfied with creating creative works. cause writing manuals for a living sounds like something i'd just off myself after a while.
jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

[QUOTE="jetpower3"]

SaudiFury

by technical writing you mean writing manuals? because if i were a writer i'd rather just stay poorer and at least be satisfied with creating creative works. cause writing manuals for a living sounds like something i'd just off myself after a while.

Much of technical writing is writing manuals, and as someone who's dabbled into it, I find it dry, boring, and horrible in its own way. I would never want to do it as a career, but my point is that it's very difficult to make a career and pay the bills solely from writing. High paying jobs are mostly so for a reason.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

The job of a good and popular author is good (celebrity-grade good, JK Rowling, Stephen King, RA Salvatore etc).

The job of a bad and unpopular author rivals beggars in terms of earning.

inartistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inartistic
Member since 2012 • 130 Posts
It is like other entertainment jobs like being an actor/actress in that it is very very competitive making getting a job hard and when you get a job it is as the first poster said not well paying. If you enjoy writing and do not care for financial success do it by all means.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

From what I know of it, successful authors seem to have a great life. Unsuccessful ones...not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
it's fvcking terrible unless you succeed and then you still have to deal with pressures and writer's block and etc. etc.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
If you become a critically acclaimed author then your in good shape. Although very few reach that level. So don't expect to make much money as an author.
HubbaHax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HubbaHax
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts
Write a book on Justin Bieber, or write lovey dovey heh heh heh Money will rain like the goose quacks.
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

Is the author of Job good?:o

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Is the author of Job good?:o

ShuLordLiuPei
 heinlein is cool with me
ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Put that on your second plan.

You can always write, and that's good, but being only an author will give you very few money.

You should focus on another carreer, while writing.

blamespace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blamespace
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

The hours are flexible and I generally only write a few hours per day, so that's a positive. On the downside, most of my peers can't write for **** and never get published. It is a cutthroat industry, but that's because it requires innate ability and creativity, which not everyone has.

It really depends if you can create commercially viable content or not. You don't have to be a celebrity/blockbuster author either like some posters are saying. There are plenty of writers that write a lot of novels that only see moderate success, but they write a lot of books so they make a reasonable amount of money. Can you write a lot of content on a consistent basis? Is it good? The only way to know for sure is give it a shot. Write in your spare time and see if you can get anything published.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Basically, only write books if you know they will be as successful as Harry Potter.

blamespace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blamespace
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Basically, only write books if you know they will be as successful as Harry Potter.

Optical_Order

Yeah totally. Only write a book if it will be the most successful book of all time.

Also, don't bother making a movie unless it will gross more money than Avatar.

Oh, and if you want to make a TV show, don't bother unless it will run 20 seasons.

Or if you prefer painting, don't bother pursuing it unless you can paint the Mona Lisa.

Unless of course you want to be a musician, you shouldn't bother unless you can make music that will be as good as The Beatles.

Come on man, you don't have to be able to produce crazy epic blockbusters to make money in the writing/art/music/tv/film world.

inartistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inartistic
Member since 2012 • 130 Posts

[QUOTE="Optical_Order"]

blamespace

Yeah totally. Only write a book if it will be the most successful book of all time.

Oh, and if you want to make a TV show, don't bother unless it will run 20 seasons.

Or if you prefer painting, don't bother pursuing it unless you can paint the Mona Lisa.

Unless of course you want to be a musician, you shouldn't bother unless you can make music that will be as good as The Beatles.

Come on man, you don't have to be able to produce crazy epic blockbusters to make money in the writing/art/music/tv/film world.

This, also if writing is your passion you could get a job like in an office or something and write in your spare time right?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

You should write if you feel drawn towards writing. You should not, however, count on making your living as a writer. Chances are you won't make enough solely off book sales to make your living. So make sure you've got something else line-up. Have a stable job that pays your bills then write for its own sake. Maybe you'll get lucky and d well enough to provide for yourself off writing alone. If not then at least paying the rent doesn't depend on how many units you sell during that quarter.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

[QUOTE="Optical_Order"]

blamespace

*sigh*

It was a joke, man.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#23 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I'd say give it a go, I've always wanted to write a horror book myself but never had the time for it and thinking of a good plot too. If any of your books do get published lets us know what the name of the book is.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Just because you find your work good doesn't mean anybody else will.