Is suicide a selfish act?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
I think it is in many situations, for some reason a lot of kids at my schoolt alk about killing themselves to punish their parents. They didnt say why, but it disturbed me that a lot of teenagers have an almost morbid facination with suicide. Killing yourself for a reason like that is just beyond pathetic. I can see why some people would though.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
Very.
Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wetall_basic
Member since 2003 • 4086 Posts
Killing yourself to make people sad is just...well, sad. In that case I'd consider it more a directly hurtful thing to do,rather than selfish.
Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts
In some cases it is but sometimes it would be understandable.
xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 xSIZEMATTER
Member since 2008 • 7045 Posts
I don't feel sorry for anyone that kills there self at all period
Hulkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hulkness
Member since 2008 • 1271 Posts

I don't feel sorry for anyone that kills there self at all periodxSIZEMATTER

Then you probably dont understand the reasons why some people do it.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts
depends. If someone kills themselves because nobody gives a flying doo stick about them, I don't see how that could be considered selfish.
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

Yes it is a selfish act. You leave all your friends and family with what you did to yourself.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

Most definetly, IMO, there pretty much is absolutely no good/excusable reason to kill yourself. Even in the most extreme conditions, that's just my two cents though, I don't want to go into this huge rant as of why. Maybe I'll make a blog someday.

Actually, I think I made a topic like this once, it was called "Is there ever a good reason to commit suicide?" or something like that, people started saying "you don't know what it's like!!! So you can't say anything" - I guess I forgot to mention that I use to be very suicidal because of a chemical imbalance and now I have to take anti-depressants to fix that, and it made me realize how stupid it was to think that way, but, I still know that feeling of hopelessness and how hard it is to overcome those thoughts on your own, but I still see no good reason to kill yourself, ever...

Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wetall_basic
I don't feel sorry for anyone that kills there self at all periodxSIZEMATTER

Nor should you. Those that commit the act in an attempt for sympathy fall on deaf ears,to me anyway. Work your problems out or don't. As for the people that do it to simply end their existance,I don't think their looking for anyones sympathy,they just wish to leave this world.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Yes it is a selfish act. You leave all your friends and family with what you did to yourself.

FlaminDeath

And the alternative is that your friends and family ask you to be miserable for the next 50 years just so that they don't end up losing you.

There's plenty of selfishness to go around.

xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xSIZEMATTER

[QUOTE="xSIZEMATTER"]I don't feel sorry for anyone that kills there self at all periodHulkness

There is no reason for it, unless there young, then they were just not brought up right and there parents are to blame for not doing there job.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrGeezer

Most definetly, IMO, there pretty much is absolutely no good/excusable reason to kill yourself. Even in the most extreme conditions, that's just my two cents though, I don't want to go into this huge rant as of why. Maybe I'll make a blog someday.

Actually, I think I made a topic like this once, it was called "Is there ever a good reason to commit suicide?" or something like that, people started saying "you don't know what it's like!!! So you can't say anything" - I guess I forgot to mention that I use to be very suicidal because of a chemical imbalance and now I have to take anti-depressants to fix that, and it made me realize how stupid it was to think that way, but, I still know that feeling of hopelessness and how hard it is to overcome those thoughts on your own, but I still see no good reason to kill yourself, ever...

ElArab

There is one good reason to commit suicide, and that reason is that you don't want to live any more.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
[QUOTE="FlaminDeath"]

MrGeezer

And the alternative is that your friends and family ask you to be miserable for the next 50 years just so that they don't end up losing you.

There's plenty of selfishness to go around.

good point, i can understand y people sometimes commit suicide, i was depressed before and when your that sad the thought of suicide is not that outrageous, however if you have never dealt with depression in your life you will not know what I am talking about, of course if you are happy with yourself and your life , you would never consider suicide.

tazzydnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 tazzydnc
Member since 2006 • 3874 Posts
usually.
Hulkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hulkness
[QUOTE="Hulkness"]

[QUOTE="xSIZEMATTER"]I don't feel sorry for anyone that kills there self at all periodxSIZEMATTER

There is no reason for it, unless there young, then they were just not brought up right and there parents are to blame for not doing there job.

What about a transgender person who gets harrased at school for trying to be themselves just because they were born diffrent and there parents dont accept them. I wonder how that feels.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
A girl in my old school tried to kill herself in my old school because her boyfriend dumped her. She was 14 and she did the whole wrist cutting thing in the school bathrooms. I thought it was pathetic, but the whole school felt sorry for her.
Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wetall_basic
A girl in my old school tried to kill herself in my old school because her boyfriend dumped her. She was 14 and she did the whole wrist cutting thing in the school bathrooms. I thought it was pathetic, but the whole school felt sorry for her.Film-Guy

Well,that a cry for attention. Cutting yourself and all that. Kids commit sucide over the silliest reasons these days. Others have more valid excuses than others,but frankly I believe if you truely have thought the idea through,can find not reason to live,and are thinking in a rational state than you have every right to end your life,if it's something you're tired of.
3DayFinisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 3DayFinisher
Member since 2007 • 40501 Posts
Generally I'd call it a coward's way out, except in some situations where it could actually cause less pain, such as terrible medical conditions, e.g. Motor Neurone Disease.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElArab

There is one good reason to commit suicide, and that reason is that you don't want to live any more.

MrGeezer

I'd imagine most people who commit suicide didn't want to live anymore - do you mean like "I just don't want to be a part of this world anymore, I'm not depressed, I'm not miserable, I guess I am just flat-out bored with life, and ready to move on. *sticks live grenade in mouth*" type of 'don't want to live anymore'?

leonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 leonhead
Member since 2007 • 1524 Posts
I'd never consider sucide, but then again i have never been in those long depressions ive been angry for a bit not really depressed. But yeah, i meen sure you put yourself out of misery, but your parents, friends, relatives are devasted for life. If you really want just run away...i meen how bad can parents be?
Abigorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Abigorus
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts
It's a shame people take suicide so lightly.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer

I'd never consider sucide, but then again i have never been in those long depressions ive been angry for a bit not really depressed. But yeah, i meen sure you put yourself out of misery, but your parents, friends, relatives are devasted for life. If you really want just run away...i meen how bad can parents be?leonhead

What, you mean run away and then commit suicide, so that your friends and parents never hear the news that you killed yourself?

xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xSIZEMATTER
It's a shame people take suicide so lightly.Abigorus
Indeed
Honenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Honenheim
Member since 2007 • 5402 Posts
Friends and family of the suicide see it that way.
kylekatarn10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 kylekatarn10
Member since 2005 • 2818 Posts

In some cases it is but sometimes it would be understandable.Vilot_Hero

Agreed. It varies from case to case.

For example, a teenager killing themselves to punish their parents, or cheating girlfriends, etc. is just an idiot.

Whereas, let's say you have a man who is paralyzed in all but his left arm. It'd only be natural for him to want to pull the trigger...

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and VERY selfish. I've got a cousin who still is on tranquilizers because of it, there is no justification that I will accept for that.
Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wetall_basic
It's a shame people take suicide so lightly.Abigorus

Says the man with an inverted cross-pentagram as his avatar? :lol: Life isn't as holy or great as people like to make it out to be. For all we know,suicide is the only way to a better after-life,and all those who die natural deaths goto a worse place. *Shrug*
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and VERY selfish. I've got a cousin who still is on tranquilizers because of it, there is no justification that I will accept for that.Aidenfury19

Except when it's a permanent solution to a permanent problem.

Abigorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Abigorus
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

[QUOTE="Abigorus"]It's a shame people take suicide so lightly.Wetall_basic

Says the man with an inverted cross-pentagram as his avatar? :lol: Life isn't as holy or great as people like to make it out to be. For all we know,suicide is the only way to a better after-life,and all those who die natural deaths goto a worse place. *Shrug*

Don't judge me from my avatar. I'm not Satanist. (It's a band symbol, if you look closely it says "Abigor" which is a Black Metal band.) I've come into instances where people I know have tried to commit suicide and it's tough. I don't see that person as weak, it's a cry out for help, and they're getting the help they need. Live THIS life to the fullest, who knows what's next in line for us.

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Aidenfury19

[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and VERY selfish. I've got a cousin who still is on tranquilizers because of it, there is no justification that I will accept for that.MrGeezer

Would you tell me again how depression is an untreatable condition? My other cousin can just go to hell,

kylekatarn10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 kylekatarn10
Member since 2005 • 2818 Posts
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and VERY selfish. I've got a cousin who still is on tranquilizers because of it, there is no justification that I will accept for that.Aidenfury19

Would you tell me again how depression is an untreatable condition? My other cousin can just go to hell,

I'm sure there are other permanent problems....

Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wetall_basic

[QUOTE="Wetall_basic"][QUOTE="Abigorus"]It's a shame people take suicide so lightly.Abigorus

Don't judge me from my avatar. I'm not Satanist. (It's a band symbol, if you look closely it says "Abigor" which is a Black Metal band.) I've come into instances where people I know have tried to commit suicide and it's tough. I don't see that person as weak, it's a cry out for help, and they're getting the help they need. Live THIS life to the fullest, who knows what's next in line for us.

Heh,no disrespect man. I just thought it was funny.

I understand what you mean,but like you said,no one knows what's in store for us in the next-life/end of life,so I just think that anyone has the right to leave this one as they please. I'd consider it as a cry for help, if in fact it was a half hearted attempt, in which case they don't truly want to die and should try and work their problems out.

But for those of us who look at life as a subjective thing, we don't care about the what ifs or the other uncertainties that may arise after death. It's just another way of living your life,only you're choosing to end it,for the sake of ending it. Guess I have a bleak outlook for most people,but I don't really see death as a terrible thing.
Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Aidenfury19

kylekatarn10

And he didn't have any, his Mom always favored girls but thats about it. He had a fiancee, he had a ton of extended family that he barely even met with, he had a daughter and he had his sister the one in the family with the REAL problems.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ElArab

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and VERY selfish. I've got a cousin who still is on tranquilizers because of it, there is no justification that I will accept for that.Aidenfury19

I still don't understand that saying, how can it be a solution, when you're ****ing dead?

It's like saying "I can't beat the next level in this game, so I guess the best thing to do would be to jump off this bridge..." - and God Forbid that you say that when you are playing Bioshock, I mean, you just cannot die when playing that game. No easy way out for you!!!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="kylekatarn10"]

Aidenfury19

And he didn't have any, his Mom always favored girls but thats about it. He had a fiancee, he had a ton of extended family that he barely even met with, he had a daughter and he had his sister the one in the family with the REAL problems.

Yeah, so what. It's not like it's any of your business. Maybe you could analyze his situation and tell him who to marry and what career to take.

Regardless of whether or not you think his life was good, HE DID NOT WANT IT. It's HIS life, not YOURS, and it's his to do with as he sees fit, even if that includes ending it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="Aidenfury19"]Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and VERY selfish. I've got a cousin who still is on tranquilizers because of it, there is no justification that I will accept for that.ElArab

I still don't understand that saying, how can it be a solution, when you're ****ing dead?

It's like saying "I can't beat the next level in this game, so I guess the best thing to do would be to jump off this bridge..." - and God Forbid that you say that when you are playing Bioshock, I mean, you just cannot die when playing that game. No easy way out for you!!!

No, it's more like when animal control picks up a stray dog, and that dog is mean. So then they kill it.

The problem is that the dog is mean. Death IS a solution in this case, because dead dogs are NOT mean.

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Aidenfury19

Yeah, so what. It's not like it's any of your business. Maybe you could analyze his situation and tell him who to marry and what career to take.

Regardless of whether or not you think his life was good, HE DID NOT WANT IT. It's HIS life, not YOURS, and it's his to do with as he sees fit, even if that includes ending it.

MrGeezer

Its his freaking sister, his daughter and his ex-wife and fiancee who have to deal with it now and that MAKES IT MY FREAKING BUSINESS, he already put them through enough crap and my cousin had to deal with enough herself. The damn coward didn't even have the nerve to pull a freaking trigger or go someplace else, you know how my cousin found him?

Shes legally blind so when she found him she thought he was sleeping standing up. NOW WHAT WAS THAT YOU WERE SAYING?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

Aidenfury19

Its his freaking sister, his daughter and his ex-wife and fiancee who have to deal with it now and that MAKES IT MY FREAKING BUSINESS, he already put them through enough crap and my cousin had to deal with enough herself. The damn coward didn't even have the nerve to pull a freaking trigger or go someplace else, you know how my cousin found him?

Shes legally blind so when she found him she thought he was sleeping standing up. NOW WHAT WAS THAT YOU WERE SAYING?

I direct you back to my other post, in which I stated that selfishness swings both ways. You can say all you want about how only jerks kill themselves because then their wives will be widows, etc, etc. But like I said, it goes both ways. I have a history of suicide in my family. My uncle killed himself. My brother tried to kill himself. And that makes me sad, but it's STILL not my ****ing business. Being family does NOT give me the right to decide anyone else's life for them, and that's all there is to it.

Now as far as the method in which he tried to kill himself, that's not a discussion about suicide, that's a discussion about proper manners. If he wanted to, he certainly could have killed himself in a way that would have been less distressing to those around him, so that fact that he did not choose to do so is not an argument against committing suicide. Rather, it's simply an argument for using proper etiquette while committing suicide.

Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Truth_Seekr
Member since 2007 • 4214 Posts

The only time I would consider it acceptable would be if, say for instance, you knew you were about to get executed by a regime(not court/law) and you decided you'd take yourself rathen than letting them get the satisfaction of killing you.....or something like that, if u get what I mean.

Otherwise, yes. It's a very shallow, selfish and hurtful act of desperation.

xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts

i think suicide is stupid. but it's in no way selfish.

it's selfish to want someone alive when that person really just wants to be dead.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
Thats the easy way out. when thinghs get rough. Id never do it since you only get one life and i wouldnt want to be remembered as some coward
Hulkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hulkness

What about a transgender person who gets harrased at school for trying to be themselves just because they were born diffrent and there parents dont accept them. I wonder how that feels.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dark__Link

Hulkness

Bad, I'd imagine, but it's no excuse for killing yourself.

Hulkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hulkness
[QUOTE="Hulkness"]

Dark__Link

What are you really supposed to do when your that depressed and all your friends and family turn on you?

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Hulkness"]

Hulkness

What are you really supposed to do when your that depressed and all your friends and family turn on you?

Have faith that things will turn your way eventually. Rough it out. Even if nothing ever goes your way, you still have your life.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MrGeezer

You know what's selfish? Other people wanting to keep him alive in absolute misery for the rest of his life, just cause they want him around.Fortier

EXACTLY.

I mean, I don't LIKE seeing anyone commiting suicide, but it's really not my life and it's not my call to make.

If they kill themselves and it was a bad decision, well then, he's dead. He went out the way he wanted, whatever. I don't commend the guy for that, but I don't think less of him for it either. Simply put, he just lived his life the way he wanted to, and died when he thought he was ready.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts
It's a terribly selfish act....
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="Hulkness"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Hulkness"]

Dark__Link

Have faith that things will turn your way eventually. Rough it out. Even if nothing ever goes your way, you still have your life.

Yeah, a crappy life.

And you STILL end up just as dead, only in this case you've had to go through another few decades of this BS called Life.

Everyone ends up dead. EVERYONE. Many people spend their lives running from death, but it always catches up with them. Is somebody has the balls to cut out all the other BS and go ahead and get to the point sooner, then whatever. I'm not saying that it's good or bad, but it's none of my damn business.