Is PC the new face of Facism?

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 servomaster
Member since 2015 • 870 Posts

Everywhere we look in the news today we see somebody using political correctness to attack freedom of speech, freedom of religion, of the press of thought.

In this video, a group of students pushes a reporter outside of the protest so that he cannot report.

I'm seeing over and over, physical violence, bullying tactics, and threats to get their way, attempting to change the playing field to unfair, rather than just deal with issues.

I feel that this modern suppress freedom of speech movement is a real threat to the first amendment.

Thoughts?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

There are just as many people on the right who are squelching free speech. It's not about left or right really just some people are total assholes.

You should hear some of the comments I get when I wear my Slayer shirt around town. If what people have told me is true I'm going to own hell itself.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

No Donald Trump is the new face of fascism.

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 servomaster

@br0kenrabbit said:

There are just as many people on the right who are squelching free speech. It's not about left or right really just some people are total assholes.

You should hear some of the comments I get when I wear my Slayer shirt around town. If what people have told me is true I'm going to own hell itself.

I've seen an uptick on the left in the last few years.

In the form of this SJW, feminism, and activism.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: It's not even a new development. Look at some of the things that erupted over Vietnam protests, for instance. When I was in high school and working at the library, David Duke came to speak at our library. The library, being a government entity, had to allow him access to the room he used to speak, but the protests outside the building over him were pretty intense (not to mention the legal maneuvering that occurred from townsfolk who tried to see if they could prevent him from coming to the town in the first place).

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl

@Serraph105 said:

I really wanted to come in and say this....

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 br0kenrabbit

@servomaster said:

I have seen a uptick on the right in the last few years.

In the form of racism, bigotry and the increasing number of people belonging to known hate groups.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 br0kenrabbit

@mattbbpl said:

@br0kenrabbit: It's not even a new development. Look at some of the things that erupted over Vietnam protests, for instance. When I was in high school and working at the library, David Duke came to speak at our library. The library, being a government entity, had to allow him access to the room he used to speak, but the protests outside the building over him were pretty intense (not to mention the legal maneuvering that occurred from townsfolk who tried to see if they could prevent him from coming to the town in the first place).

In this town, he'd be given a parade.

I really hate this place sometimes, but I have roots here while my parents are still around.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl

@servomaster said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

I really think you're just becoming more acutely aware of this stuff. Take a brief glance through history (you don't have to go far, the last 50 to 100 years will provide plenty of examples). People have killed for speech they didn't like. Used physical oppression to stop ideas they didn't like.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@Serraph105 said:

I really wanted to come in and say this....

*fist bump of agreement*

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 servomaster

@br0kenrabbit said:
@servomaster said:

In the form of racism, bigotry and the increasing number of people belonging to known hate groups.

both sides seem to be getting worse....

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPQB9CM_ZkQ

It doesn't just affect the US, it is also affecting the UK as well

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:
@servomaster said:

There has been an up tick on both sides. However, the media now in days tends to lean more towards the left, especially social media. Not only that, what is more alarming to me is how ignorant people can be in believing most of the misinformed, agenda based, crap articles and blog posts that belong in the toilet.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's cultural Marxism.

Loading Video...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44709 Posts

No I don't think so. For the most part I believe that we're simply seeing a strong pushback against things like sexism, racism, etc. that have been going on for a very long time. Personally I think that the vast majority that whine about political correctness and hide behind freedom of speech do so because they feel that they can't keep behaving badly and saying ignorant things.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@xscrapzx said:

There has been an up tick on both sides. However, the media now in days tends to lean more towards the left, especially social media. Not only that, what is more alarming to me is how ignorant people can be in believing most of the misinformed, agenda based, crap articles and blog posts that belong in the toilet.

You say the media tends toward the left well that depends. Have you tuned into AM/Satellite radio lately? Maybe you should watch some of the local newscasts around these parts. Have you picked up a newspaper lately? WSJ? Washington Times?

And why are you correlating social media with THE media? It is NOT the same thing. If social media is trending left, then that's a reflection of the population at large, not some corporate bias.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@servomaster said:
Loading Video...

Everywhere we look in the news today we see somebody using political correctness to attack freedom of speech, freedom of religion, of the press of thought.

In this video, a group of students pushes a reporter outside of the protest so that he cannot report.

I'm seeing over and over, physical violence, bullying tactics, and threats to get their way, attempting to change the playing field to unfair, rather than just deal with issues.

I feel that this modern suppress freedom of speech movement is a real threat to the first amendment.

Thoughts?

What you're talking about isn't "political corrctness", that's just plain illegal. Things like threats and violence have nothing to do with "political correctness".

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Silence Peasants!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24003 Posts

The Horseshoe effect is quite obnoxious indeed.

The further you go to the left or right, the more authoritarian you tend to be. And the more y ou oppose freedom of speech.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

While a few people on the left have taken it too far. It's still nothing compared to what the right try to do and have done in the past.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Slavery and Jim Crow wasn't shit compared to this outrage right? Why can't we go back to the good old days of segregation and white people having the right to be racist pigs?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I'd say no.

However with that said, there is a sort of irony on a personal level regarding freedom of speech and censorship. For instance someone might be an advocate of freedom of speech so they can say what they want, and yet want those that disagree with them to shut up.

I think that's more the case when it comes to various situations like that, cause while we humans are social people and posses the ability to use our voice to end or avoid conflicts.. we generally dislike if people disagree with us.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Some of these videos are real eye-openers but I don't think it is as clear cut as it is made out to be. That being said, the person in question behaved badly and should have been punished.

People can be truly horrendous either way and there are awful people on both sides of the argument. Not saying that I am perfect but I think there is much to be said for balance. Not that this will ever happen as it is human nature as Treflis said to not like it when people disagree with us.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Yep.

It's funny because these people claim to be in the name of justice and equality, but their actions dictate anything but, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

I stand with melisssa click because a peckerwood twit with a degree in twilight suppressing free speech by ordering people to intimidate journalists like they are her personal field hands because the duke boys insulted a multi millionaire is comedy gold.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Yeah I can't but feel that the PC culture is becoming quite fascist. Feminists in particular have gotten worse and worse as of late. If you disagree with their whining you are a sexist pig. Try talking logically and you are "oppressing them". It's like they have a complete inability to understand the concept of free speech. Just because you want to be over-sensitive to every God-damn thing said doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to speak.

I think it ultimately comes down to a flat-out psychotic "Me Vs. the world" mindset that those people have. They treat everyone as hostile which is just crazy.

It is sad because these people really corrupt what "COULD" be possible movements. Shit isn't perfect here in the States and we could stand to change some things. Unfortunately what we get is a lot of "made up" issues where people want to be offended by very basic speech that other groups get as well. I came across a video at one point that was along the lines of "things women hear that men don't" that was supposed to be exposing "subtle" sexism in society. Then they rambled off the first 6-10 lines or so, all being basic speech that I have had said to me as a male and I just closed the video to save my surviving brain cells from the stupid...

Of course this isn't to excuse the right who are even more dangerous. We get conservatives flat out denying others rights because it goes against a book they read once. The ultimate irony is that those conservatives do that shit all while going "America **** yeah! Let's hear it for freedom!" Apparently to them freedom means "I get to do what I want but you can't do what I don't want you to do". Would really help if they had any idea what the constitution and bill of rights actually said/meant...

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3882 Posts

@servomaster said:
Loading Video...

Thoughts?

I agree with you on this topic.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3882 Posts

@toast_burner said:

While a few people on the left have taken it too far. It's still nothing compared to what the right try to do and have done in the past.

Like passing the Civil Rights Act when senators on the left filibustered the bill.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

sure we all complain about the social justice movement but at least they won't let jews in.

we can all get behind that can't we?

http://www.thetower.org/article/in-the-safe-spaces-on-campus-no-jews-allowed/

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/alan-dershowitz-safe-spaces-hypocrisy-article-1.2442092

what could be more admirable?

hooray for social justice!

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Yes, for sure. Anyone paying attention could see it years ago just based on the rhetoric they espouse. In more recent times, and especially on college campuses, we're now seeing the fulfillment of it. I believe we're about to see the wave break, though. It's no longer what-ifs and mincing words, we're seeing their dogma in action and it's ugly.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I find that freedom of the press, or of the TMZ reporters type media goes to far. I mean just look what happen to Queen Diana, all because they were chasing her through the streets in cars. There has to be a limit. But yes, this guy here deserved to record, and report. I would think the lady would have been ok with him recording because it would have brought an insight on their purpose. Why push him away ? Unless they were doing something wrong.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

@JimB said:
@toast_burner said:

Like passing the Civil Rights Act when senators on the left filibustered the bill.

Or the fact that the left in the U.S supported slavery and the Jim Crow laws.

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 servomaster

@LexLas said:

I find that freedom of the press, or of the TMZ reporters type media goes to far. I mean just look what happen to Queen Diana, all because they were chasing her through the streets in cars. There has to be a limit. But yes, this guy here deserved to record, and report. I would think the lady would have been ok with him recording because it would have brought an insight on their purpose. Why push him away ? Unless they were doing something wrong.

The driver was drunk.

servomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 servomaster

@Gaming-Planet said:

It's cultural Marxism.

Loading Video...

I do hate it when somebody says "I can't be racist or sexist because I'm a minority or women"

It's just an incredibly blatant form of discrimination.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24003 Posts
@LostProphetFLCL said:

I think it ultimately comes down to a flat-out psychotic "Me Vs. the world" mindset that those people have. They treat everyone as hostile which is just crazy.

That is a good point. Persecution complex could very much be the driving force for this rather disgusting behaviour.

Which means that they are very much, mentally ill.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

No I don't think so. For the most part I believe that we're simply seeing a strong pushback against things like sexism, racism, etc. that have been going on for a very long time. Personally I think that the vast majority that whine about political correctness and hide behind freedom of speech do so because they feel that they can't keep behaving badly and saying ignorant things.

This "pushback again -ism" is what forced a Nobel prize winner to step down from his position at UCL and made a man who landed a motherfucking probe on a motherfucking comet to apologize, while in tears, about wearing a certain shirt while being interviewed right after the landing happened.

People like you who justify this kind of bullying and accuse of ignorance those who don't buy into your bullshit make me sick.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44709 Posts

@N30F3N1X: Alrighty then.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Do you even know what the first amendment guarantees?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The first amendment is not under attack. You still have the right to talk like an asshole and suffer no threats of being sent to jail. That does not mean you will not suffer any consequences for being an asshole.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@LostProphetFLCL said:

That is a good point. Persecution complex could very much be the driving force for this rather disgusting behaviour.

Which means that they are very much, mentally ill.

It's not mental illness. It is just ignorant people being fed bullshit.

If people would actually try and look at things from a non-race/sex focused view we might be able to solve some problems.

Unfortunately these days every problem is the product of racism or sexism. The problem is that cops are racist, not that in the US we have a serious issue of over-militarization of police and have a police force in general that might be a bit too quick to resort to violence. No, let's go hold up criminals as some sort of saints when they get killed attacking police. Lets go riot and commit random acts of violence against police officers because that SURELY will help stem police violence, am I right?

Even when issues are race/sex focused it seems these people can't even point to the real issue. Women aren't in scientific fields because of the matriarchy keeping them out! No it doesn't matter that women are twice as likely to be hired compared to men in said fields! The issue couldn't possibly be that society doesn't do anything to encourage women to go into such good fields and perhaps maybe even actively persuades women AGAINST developing an interest in said fields! The answer couldn't possibly be that maybe more women need to take interest in the sciences and maybe we as a society should be encouraging both men AND women to find science interesting!

It is just maddening. We will never fix things with these idiots constantly pointing in the wrong direction. You don't cure a disease simply by treating a symptom. You need to figure out the root of the issue and go from there.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

To be fascist you have to think a certain group of people are inferior to yours.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N30F3N1X

@TheHighWind said:

To be fascist you have to think a certain group of people are inferior to yours.

Fairly sure that's the first time I've ever heard of that one. And I'm italian.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
@N30F3N1X said:
@TheHighWind said:

To be a fascist you have to be a right wing nationalist. Nationalists typically believe that other countries are inferior to their own.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

@N30F3N1X said:
@TheHighWind said:

Pretty sure the Italians hated the Greeks. The Japanese hated the Chinese, and the Germans hated the Jews? (ww2)

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By N30F3N1X

@TheHighWind said:
@N30F3N1X said:
@TheHighWind said:

Pretty sure the Italians hated the Greeks. The Japanese hated the Chinese, and the Germans hated the Jews? (ww2)

Pretty sure none of that is relevant since we had fascism in our own country too, before we "invaded" other countries even. Since you didn't take the hint, mine was a veiled way to tell you what you're saying is bullshit.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 N30F3N1X

@toast_burner said:
@N30F3N1X said:
@TheHighWind said:

To be a fascist you have to be a right wing nationalist. Nationalists typically believe that other countries are inferior to their own.

Funny, I could swear today's fascists are mostly left wing.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Yes, the uptick in movements to give women, LGBT and minority races equal opportunity is the new face of fascism, rofl.

There are idiots everywhere and all along the entire political spectrum, and I won't defend every "PC" claim that I've seen, but you really have to separate what holds truth to it and what doesn't. If there's something you don't totally agree with then fine, but to feel contempt towards feminists or communities for demanding equal opportunity, wage equality or an end to sexual harassment (both explicit and implicit) is a little much, I think. To compare it to fascism is downright laughable.

Side-note: don't throw personal attacks guys, this thread is surprisingly tame so far and that's nice. If you feel like you have to insult then you're really not doing a good job arguing your point of view.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@N30F3N1X said:
@toast_burner said:

Funny, I could swear today's fascists are mostly left wing.

Then you clearly don't know what fascism means. A fascist by definition has to be right wing.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/fascism

An authoritarian and nationalisticright-wing system of government and social organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

Fascism/ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radicalauthoritariannationalism[1][2] that came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe. Influenced by national syndicalism, fascism originated inItaly during World War I, in opposition to liberalism,Marxism, and anarchism. Fascism is usually placed on the far-right within the traditional left–right spectrum.[3][4]