whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Is it true that if you haven't seen someone in a while, the first thing you forget about them is their voice? You can still remember their face and the way that they moved, but not their voice? Have you ever heard this?

I think in general that's the case. If I try to think about people I haven't seen in a while, I can remember generally what they looked like, but not usually what their voice was.

As one example of this, during my freshman year of college in an English class I had a classmate whose voice reminded me of someone else I knew, but I couldn't quite figure it out. I eventually was able to figure out that the voice was similar to a classmate I knew back in elementary/middle-school, but I wasn't 100% sure, but if the two people had looked similar I probably would have figured it out a whole lot faster.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

makes sense

voices are something people can take for granted, i guess... since it's such a constant

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

I would think so, yes.

Sight is our weakest a sense. I'm pretty sure that scent is our strongest sense, hence why scent is the sense we have that is most closely linked to our memory.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

It depends on the person, to be honest. The first thing I forget about them is their face (we're talking years here, not 3 weeks), because I suck at remembering faces. Their voice, particularly how they sounded when they said specific things that were important to me is one of the things that sticks with me the longest.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

No for me at least the first thing I forget about them is their faces.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Depends. Like, I remember girls I had crushes on, old friends and bullies since Kindergarten and remember them as if I only saw them yesterday. I remember how some of them sounded like too. Scumbag brain will remember people from 20 years ago but won't remember what I was asked to do at work 10 minutes ago.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

if that was true you would never recognize people when you hear some celebrity doing a voice in a game or an animated show or whatever.

even when they trick it up and talk differently you still know exactly who it is most of the time.

your brain is extremely good at recognizing voices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I can remember voices it just takes longer than remembering looks or smell

Touching is the hardest memory to remember

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whipassmt

@-paranorman- said:

Depends. Like, I remember girls I had crushes on, old friends and bullies since Kindergarten and remember them as if I only saw them yesterday. I remember how some of them sounded like too. Scumbag brain will remember people from 20 years ago but won't remember what I was asked to do at work 10 minutes ago.

Memories that have emotional significance are more strongly remembered though because the memory part and the emotional part of the brain are close together.

@Kevlar101 said:

I would think so, yes.

Sight is our weakest a sense. I'm pretty sure that scent is our strongest sense, hence why scent is the sense we have that is most closely linked to our memory.

I think that's because the scent area and the memory area of the brain are right near each other.

@korvus said:

It depends on the person, to be honest. The first thing I forget about them is their face (we're talking years here, not 3 weeks), because I suck at remembering faces. Their voice, particularly how they sounded when they said specific things that were important to me is one of the things that sticks with me the longest.

So you remember the voices, you're like Sara Lance then.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#10 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@Kevlar101 said:

I would think so, yes.

I think that's because the scent area and the memory area of the brain are right near each other.

That's not how the brain works.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@whipassmt said:

@-paranorman- said:

Memories that have emotional significance are more strongly remembered though because the memory part and the emotional part of the brain are close together.

My brain better start getting emotional at work then because it's making me look like an idiot lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@whipassmt: Guess so, but I won't be asking people to call me Canary anytime soon.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whipassmt

@korvus said:

@whipassmt: Guess so, but I won't be asking people to call me Canary anytime soon.

lol. Did you see what I did with the thread?