Is China bound to replace the US really soon?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

And I mean like, no more than 50 years.

Economically speaking, they seem to be doing a lot better than the US, and their influence on the world market is growing larger each day, they are already leaving that "cheap products and copies come from China!" image they had (The same happened with Japan a few decades ago).

I think it will be really soon when China will totally replace the US as "World's top country".

Hope you guys are already taking mandarin classes!

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

The US economy is around 3x that of China, so no. Especially since their economy is based off of the west's. Also, the world is a global economy now anyway so the top economy is meaningless beyond bragging rights.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Their economy, at current rates, is projected to pass that of the US. This is assuming that nothing catastrophic happens such as political strife, environmental disasters, or a collapse in their fast growing economy. As far as 'Top' is concerned, they won't be passing us anytime soon military wise and when it comes to standards of living, freedoms of citizens, and pollution, they'll be behind most of the western world.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#4 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

The US economy is around 3x that of China, so no. Especially since their economy is based off of the west's. Also, the world is a global economy now anyway so the top economy is meaningless beyond bragging rights.

Pirate700
Yeah but what I mean is that the US is further sinking in debt while China seems to be climbing, so i'd say its a matter of time for it to get bigger. and while what you said about the global economy is true, you have to admit that when someone says "world's number 1 country" pretty much everyone think "US!".
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
lightleggy really is one of the worst topic creators.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

They actually make tangible goods and they have a foreign policy that's way more advanced than "hurr, hurr, u fight evildoer tarrorist or i hit head with big stick." Of course they will...

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

well yeah they will pass us soon but they have like what?

1.2 billion people?

how can they not pass us barring a complete breakdown of civilization.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

lightleggy

Yeah but what I mean is that the US is further sinking in debt while China seems to be climbing, so i'd say its a matter of time for it to get bigger. and while what you said about the global economy is true, you have to admit that when someone says "world's number 1 country" pretty much everyone think "US!".

I don't think China being the #1 economy matters much when most of it's citizens will still be making a couple dollars a day. I think their citizens would gladly exchange their growing economy for 21st century rights and qualities of living...

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Perhaps in terms of GDP, but not in terms of standard of living.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
lightleggy really is one of the worst topic creators.DroidPhysX
Approaches my level.
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
Possibly, the US is on the verge of crumbling. Every time they hit the debt limit their the boys at the UN increase it. Its only a matter of time before all other nations begin to carve out the US into their own territory.
RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

GDP should not be a measure of success.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

The rate that China is expanding is scary. Have you checked out the mega-city that is currently underdevelopment. They are taking like 8 cities in china and linking them all together to make one massive city, and I mean MASSIVE. I honestly can not see how China can grow at the rate it is without hitting problems. I mean they are not exactly green in their energy development so unless they invest in great infrastructure to support them when fossil fuels dry up then they will crumble under their own weight.

In some respects I believe the UAE is going to be the worlds hub of top everything at this rate. They are basically gate keepers to what everyone wants. The fact they are building a sky-scraper that is 3 times the height of the shard without blinking an eye is incredible.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
They will probably end up with a higher GDP than the US within 50 years. However I expect their quality of life to get worse before it gets better.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
call me when they're anywhere near our GDP per capita
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

I don't think China being the #1 economy matters much when most of it's citizens will still be making a couple dollars a day. I think their citizens would gladly exchange their growing economy for 21st century rights and qualities of living...

Pretty much this. It doesn't matter that their economy is growing because their standard of living is still way too low for China to be "the world's top country."
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Possibly, the US is on the verge of crumbling. Every time they hit the debt limit their the boys at the UN increase it. Its only a matter of time before all other nations begin to carve out the US into their own territory.dracolich55
This is one of the most moronic comments I've ever read :lol:

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

They are taking like 8 cities in china and linking them all together to make one massive city, and I mean MASSIVE.

o0squishy0o

You mean kinda like the U.S. north-east coast? It's all city from Boston to D.C.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I don't care if we're number 1. I just want a good place to live in. 

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I don't care if we're number 1. I just want a good place to live in. 

Blue-Sky

I've got a tent out back. It leaks if you touch the roof when it rains, so don't touch the roof when it rains.

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts

[QUOTE="dracolich55"]Possibly, the US is on the verge of crumbling. Every time they hit the debt limit their the boys at the UN increase it. Its only a matter of time before all other nations begin to carve out the US into their own territory.heeweesRus

Are you one of those people that think america is the only civilised place on on the planet? Lemme guess, this is your map? http://whenitstrikesme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/according-to-america.jpg
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Possibly, the US is on the verge of crumbling. Every time they hit the debt limit their the boys at the UN increase it. Its only a matter of time before all other nations begin to carve out the US into their own territory.dracolich55
haha

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

idk if replace is the word i will use

but they have thrice the number of people, so they are inevitably bound to eventually surpass the U.S. in terms of pure size

per capita stuff will be a while longer ' til they approach a rough parity

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

They haven't left that cheap products come from China.  That's their driving force of their economy.  Labor is incredibly cheap in china.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
Before we die, yes no doubt. Having another USlike power as China is great. Keeps them in check.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

lightleggy

US Federal Deficit is shrinking and not increasing...
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
The rate that China is expanding is scary. Have you checked out the mega-city that is currently underdevelopment. They are taking like 8 cities in china and linking them all together to make one massive city, and I mean MASSIVE.o0squishy0o
It's also completely empty. No one lives in these new Chinese cities. It's just a way of creating labor and deceitfully boosting their own economy.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

NEWMAHAY

US Federal Deficit is shrinking and not increasing...

The deficit is decreasing, but the debt is still increasing (albeit at a slower rate).
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I'd imagine it'd be a while before their standard of living got better, unless they somehow shift their focus onto that

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
In terms of total GDP yes...... Per capita/standard of living wise no.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Unless something changes global trends, China's economy will be bigger (not necessarily stronger) than America's within a few years, and their main concern right now is developing their country to a halfway decent standard of living, not leveraging that economic power into a ginormous military or making other countries poorer.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Unless something changes global trends, China's economy will be bigger (not necessarily stronger) than America's within a few years, and their main concern right now is developing their country to a halfway decent standard of living, not leveraging that economic power into a ginormous military or making other countries poorer.

Barbariser

It might not be possible to sustain the two though. A large reason why China is growing so fast is a ton of foreign companies are going there for cheap labor. If the standard of living were to increase, wages would have to increase dramatically and China would no longer be the cheapest place to produce good. Businesses would then move and their economy would suffer as a result. They would need to change to a consumer economy like the U.S.

Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
Lol.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

Toxic-Seahorse

It might not be possible to sustain the two though. A large reason why China is growing so fast is a ton of foreign companies are going there for cheap labor. If the standard of living were to increase, wages would have to increase dramatically and China would no longer be the cheapest place to produce good. Businesses would then move and their economy would suffer as a result.

It's true that rapid economic growth caused by rapid input increases doesn't last and eventually decelerates to a more "realistic" rate. Either way, just about every developing country faces this problem, and it hasn't stopped South Korea or Japan from reaching Western living standards on industrial export models as well. China only has to be vastly cheaper than the U.S. now because American workers are hugely more productive than them, which is a gap that can be closed by improving education and technology. In any case, countries shouldn't sacrifice living standards to get more FDI, especially since the whole point of getting more FDI is to get higher living standards.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

China is fuled by the west and manufacturing for them because of very cheap labor.  Their quality of life is also quite poor, air quality is poor, and in general has a lot of work to do to catch up to 21ct century western standards.  Their population is aging and is male dominant. Their economy will grow and decline.  Once their wages rise high enough to a point where it isn't as beneficial for the west to outsource things, businesses will pull out (it's already happening to a certain point)

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

In some areas, China has surpassed the US already, such as job prospects for some university graduates.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Nice going with the per capita argument. You kids are really dumb when it comes to international politics... Among many other subjects, of course. A big economy is a big economy, and if it the big country with the big economy also has a big-ass army, then that's the country that has more influence. Uruguay has bigger per capita income than Brazil, but Brazil is still THE South American giant and Uruguay goes where Brazil tells them to go. Same with all the other BRICS: Big countries with big growing economies, big armies and, of course, a big zone of economic and political influence. And it's not that per capita GNP is irrelevant, but it takes a particularly broken logic to assume that Germany's economy somehow is less important than Finland's because of per capita GNP.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#38 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nope, china sucks,  even though us needs free healthcare among other problems ,  ,  us has slight advantage in terms of economy and living condiitons  as well 

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

China is in an economic bubble...just wait.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Nah, they'll never amount to anything.

Anyway the world is moving away from physical empires and towards cultural and intellectual empires.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38685 Posts
eh.. at some point maybe.. hell they're like 4x the population... what's taking them so long to get their s--- together?
Avatar image for radicalcentrist
radicalcentrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 radicalcentrist
Member since 2012 • 335 Posts

Economically speaking, they seem to be doing a lot better than the US,

lightleggy

You're kidding, right?

Even by the standards of Mexico, China is a pathetically poor country.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

eh.. at some point maybe.. hell they're like 4x the population... what's taking them so long to get their s--- together?comp_atkins

Many of it's people live the middle of nowhere and get about a dollar a day farming or doing skill-less factory work

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

people need to stop saying they have a low.standard of living has never seen citys like shenzen or shanghai.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
[QUOTE="heeweesRus"]

[QUOTE="dracolich55"]Possibly, the US is on the verge of crumbling. Every time they hit the debt limit their the boys at the UN increase it. Its only a matter of time before all other nations begin to carve out the US into their own territory.dracolich55

Are you one of those people that think america is the only civilised place on on the planet? Lemme guess, this is your map? http://whenitstrikesme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/according-to-america.jpg

Are you really this stupid? Please say you are joking.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6959 Posts

GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Get back to me when there aren't 90+ countries ahead of China

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts

lol no.  Their economy is too dependent on our own.  

wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wellbigd
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
i was going to post something but i'd just end the tread anyway
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

people need to stop saying they have a low.standard of living has never seen citys like shenzen or shanghai.

osirisx3

yes but the other areas? those places are special economic zones, they need to reflect their fortunes to invite more investors there.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Replace? Probably not, but China will most certainly be a major superpower over the next several decades. Probably the biggest competitor the US has had since the fall of the Soviet Union.