Is being able to play as the Taliban in the new MoH game disrespectful?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SalmonCatching

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SalmonCatching
Member since 2010 • 234 Posts

I was wondering about this too. This has been in the news recently. I personally have no problem with playing as the Taliban and shooting US troops in multiplayer but since so many people are burying children, parents, siblings, etc that were killed by the Taliban recently should it be removed? My boyfriend is the FPS player of the two of us and he's pretty psyched about a new MoH game coming out that is like Modern Warfare. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
Member since 2004 • 14645 Posts
No. You can play as nazis in many games. Why is the taliban any different?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

No. You can play as nazis in many games. Why is the taliban any different?jaydough

Agreed.

kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts

No, just because its happening now? Also, is this even on the right board? Im not sure.

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts

I came into this thread to find a comment about your boyfriend. I'm disappointed. :(

SalmonCatching

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SalmonCatching
No. You can play as nazis in many games. Why is the taliban any different?jaydough
Just because it's more recent. I think that playing as Nazis during the 1940's would have been a problem if it was possible. I mean do you think kids could have dressed up like Nazi's for Halloween in the streets of Poland in 1946? The taliban is currently killing people in the US as we speak. Now, again, I don't have a problem with it but I'm just pointing out the situation.
Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts

I came into this thread to finda comment about your boyfriend. I'm disappointed. :(

MillenialFair99
Wow, your right, yet again OP mentions his boyfriend...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
[QUOTE="jaydough"]No. You can play as nazis in many games. Why is the taliban any different?SalmonCatching
Just because it's more recent. I think that playing as Nazis during the 1940's would have been a problem if it was possible. I mean do you think kids could have dressed up like Nazi's for Halloween in the streets of Poland in 1946? The taliban is currently killing people in the US as we speak. Now, again, I don't have a problem with it but I'm just pointing out the situation.

Well, honestly, just because a few people are offended, doesn't mean we have to ruin it for everyone else.
FearCrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FearCrow
Member since 2010 • 70 Posts
So its ok for the American Community to allow there 13 year old children to kill Russians,Taliban,Brazilian,Japanese,Vietnamese,Nazi, etc.But it's not ok for their children to kill Americans?
Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="Mythomniac"][QUOTE="MillenialFair99"]

I came into this thread to finda comment about your boyfriend. I'm disappointed. :(

I think it's on purpose, honestly. :P
kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="jaydough"]No. You can play as nazis in many games. Why is the taliban any different?SalmonCatching

There are other terrorists in games. MoH just gives them a real face in a real country.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="SalmonCatching"][QUOTE="jaydough"]No. You can play as nazis in many games. Why is the taliban any different?jaydough

Well, honestly, just because a few people are offended, doesn't mean we have to ruin it for everyone else.

Exactly. If this isnt going to be allowed, then all games in which you must shoot a people from an organization, race, culture, etc which exists in reality musn't be allowed either.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
You know, I never thought of it that way, and it might offend someone, but it's just a game.
SalmonCatching

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SalmonCatching
[QUOTE="MillenialFair99"][QUOTE="Mythomniac"][QUOTE="MillenialFair99"]

I think it's on purpose, honestly. :P

Umm... yes it is on purpose! When was the last sentence that you typed an accident? I mention him because I'm IN LOVE! :) :)
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
sm128 showed me a video on Fox's website about this. I lol'd hard. Feel free to laugh with me.
J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts

I came into this thread to find a comment about your boyfriend. I'm disappointed. :(

MillenialFair99
I me too, but the topic tittle didnt have the "..............guys who like guys............." in it
Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

So its ok for the American Community to allow there 13 year old children to kill Russians,Taliban,Brazilian,Japanese,Vietnamese,Nazi, etc.But it's not ok for their children to kill Americans? FearCrow

Hmm... good point.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Disrespectful to whom? In order to properly represent the conflict, both sides need to be depicted.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
[QUOTE="MillenialFair99"]

J-WOW
I me too, but the topic tittle didnt have the "..............guys who like guys............." in it

Have you always been level 5?
SalmonCatching

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SalmonCatching
[QUOTE="J-WOW"][QUOTE="MillenialFair99"]

Da_lil_PimP

No, he was level 4 and 3 and 2 and 1 at one point.
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#21 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts

How is it all disrespectful? I'm confused.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

stupid4
People find a way to be offended by everything.
SalmonCatching

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SalmonCatching

stupid4
Again, I think that the game is fine because well, it's just a game. But imagine a similar game being played in 1946 Poland where you could control Nazi's killing Jews. I think that's why some people are upset.
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Da_lil_PimP
[QUOTE="SalmonCatching"][QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"][QUOTE="J-WOW"] I me too, but the topic tittle didnt have the "..............guys who like guys............." in it

Well derp. I thought I remember him being at least in the 20's. Guess I'm insane.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9
[QUOTE="stupid4"]

SalmonCatching
Again, I think that the game is fine because well, it's just a game. But imagine a similar game being played in 1946 Poland where you could control Nazi's killing Jews. I think that's why some people are upset.

Well, I don't think that the 9/11 terror attacks and such are comparable to the Holocaust, but I'd still support a similar game in a similar time period. If you're offended, DON'T PLAY IT.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox

Again, I think that the game is fine because well, it's just a game. But imagine a similar game being played in 1946 Poland where you could control Nazi's killing Jews. I think that's why some people are upset.SalmonCatching

WWII movies started being made only a couple years after the end of the war. Games, much like movies, are a medium for depicting an event in history in a manner that lets viewers/players experience those events, without having actually been there. What is inherently "wrong" with letting players control the Taliban? You say its wrong, but not why.

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 J-WOW
[QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"][QUOTE="J-WOW"] Have you always been level 5?SalmonCatching

Well derp. I thought I remember him being at least in the 20's. Guess I'm insane.

wut? I've seen some other guy with the same avatar, so maybe you're thinking about him. Maybe I should change my avatar :/
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
I don't think it will offend anyone. I don't know anybody who is planning on buying that horrible game.
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Da_lil_PimP
[QUOTE="SalmonCatching"][QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"] No, he was level 4 and 3 and 2 and 1 at one point.J-WOW

wut? I've seen some other guy with the same avatar, so maybe you're thinking about him. Maybe I should change my avatar :/

That could be it. Will have to see the other guy to confirm though. I just thought you've been around here longer.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#30 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Disrespectful to whom? In order to properly represent the conflict, both sides need to be depicted.

foxhound_fox

You pretty much nailed it right there.

After all, a war game where you can only play as one side really seems like propaganda, doesn't it?

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 J-WOW
[QUOTE="J-WOW"][QUOTE="SalmonCatching"] Well derp. I thought I remember him being at least in the 20's. Guess I'm insane.Da_lil_PimP

That could be it. Will have to see the other guy to confirm though. I just thought you've been around here longer.

Do you remember the avatar or have you actually seen my name "J-WOW" around here before?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foxhound_fox

After all, a war game where you can only play as one side really seems like propaganda, doesn't it?Desulated

I would wholeheartedly agree with that. Which is one reason why I've always longed for a WWII game that contained a German campaign that depicts a Nazi-detractor and the effect that has one him and those around him... much like Das Boot, just not in a sub.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Desulated

[QUOTE="Desulated"]After all, a war game where you can only play as one side really seems like propaganda, doesn't it?foxhound_fox

I would wholeheartedly agree with that. Which is one reason why I've always longed for a WWII game that contained a German campaign that depicts a Nazi-detractor and the effect that has one him and those around him... much like Das Boot, just not in a sub.

I have yet to see a game where you can play as a Nazi for once. :lol:

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Don't buy it if you're offended. I'm not buying it because I'm going to stick it out until SOCOM 4 comes out a few months later.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Desulated"]After all, a war game where you can only play as one side really seems like propaganda, doesn't it?Desulated

You can in Company of heroes. Although thats an RTS, but you still play as the Nazis pushing back the Allied forces.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e7f221e304c9

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Desulated"]After all, a war game where you can only play as one side really seems like propaganda, doesn't it?Desulated

Battlefield 1942.

Incidentally, it is the best game of all time.

Therefore, games with nazis are better games.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="SalmonCatching"] Again, I think that the game is fine because well, it's just a game. But imagine a similar game being played in 1946 Poland where you could control Nazi's killing Jews. I think that's why some people are upset.foxhound_fox

WWII movies started being made only a couple years after the end of the war. Games, much like movies, are a medium for depicting an event in history in a manner that lets viewers/players experience those events, without having actually been there. What is inherently "wrong" with letting players control the Taliban? You say its wrong, but not why.

And this is why I hate when people complain about what video games depict, but not the same thing that a movie would depict. It really pisses me off when people whine about games like Mass Effect and its "sex scene". The game is rated M for mature for a reason. Rated R movies sometimes have more sex scenes and violence in it than that. Yet I don't see people throwing a piss-fit about those titles. I thought rated M games were basically the equivalent rating of a rated R movie, yet people seem to want to throw a A rating on a game that has one sex scene....

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

No, You can play as Germans etc...in other games.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="jaydough"]No. You can play as nazis in many games. Why is the taliban any different?coolbeans90

Agreed.

Then its agreed!
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16017 Posts

Not at all. It's a good thing to provide a new perspective. Playing as terrorists in games is not a new concept.

urdead18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 urdead18
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

Snipes_2
As Germans? What's wrong with Germans? Are you referring to the Nazis?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

And this is why I hate when people complain about what video games depict, but not the same thing that a movie would depict. It really pisses me off when people whine about games like Mass Effect and its "sex scene". The game is rated M for mature for a reason. Rated R movies sometimes have more sex scenes and violence in it than that. Yet I don't see people throwing a piss-fit about those titles. I thought rated M games were basically the equivalent rating of a rated R movie, yet people seem to want to throw a A rating on a game that has one sex scene....

tocool340

That's because people actually respect movies as a form of art. Meanwhile, much of the public still sees videogames as stupid kid's stuff.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Desulated

Battlefield 1942.

Incidentally, it is the best game of all time.

Therefore, games with nazis are better games.

jaydough

How can I forget that...and also Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

KidCudi37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KidCudi37
Member since 2010 • 3535 Posts

Agreed.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

urdead18
As Germans? What's wrong with Germans? Are you referring to the Nazis?

The Nazis were German No? I prefer to say German instead of Nazi.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Snipes_2

but thats only in multi player. what about single player? I havent seen alot of wwII games that could allow me to play as a nazi or japanese in single player.

imagine what would happen if you could play as a taliban in single player?

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Some people are such hypocritical crybabies.
disharmonized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 disharmonized
Member since 2010 • 1051 Posts

MillenialFair99
Me too. I came in and saw the TC and hoped he wouldnt mention him again but somehow did. About the topic though, I don't think its disrespectful, I assume you have a choice whether you play as them or not.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#50 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
You can play terrorist in counterstrike/call of duty....nazis in call of duty/medal of honor. I see nothing wrong, it's just a game