Is Avenged Sevenfold an overrated band? [Poll included]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

I don't think so. They have some of the best live performances I've seen.

Examples-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1Uav0T8S4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HSwFR0uZVQ

What does OT think?

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

I discovered bands that honestly put A7X to shame. Still, not a horrible band by any means

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

They have crappy music. Slipknot is still the greates metal band.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Mainstream "metal".
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

ristactionjakso

lol.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Really? I saw Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, and Deftones back to back at a Family Values tour and i had a very, *very* hard time telling the three bands apart. All three were incredibly boring live.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Mainstream "metal".dramaybaz

lol.

Primordialous

I'll second both of these fine gentlemen's ideas.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Really? I saw Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, and Deftones back to back at a Family Values tour and i had a very, *very* hard time telling the three bands apart. All three were incredibly boring live.

XaosII
I've never heard Stone Sour but Avenged Sevenfold (I'm not a big fan of them) sound nothing like Deftones. They might have both been boring live (wouldn't know I've never seen either live nor do I ever intend to), but their sound is completely different. I've never really seen anybody praise Avenged Sevenfold so I wouldn't say they're overrated.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I cant name one band better so no. 

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

That is implying people thought they were good in the first place other than 12 year olds

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I mean I'm not a fan.  They seem fairly popular so I guess you could call them overrated.  Then again everyone I see talking about them always says they don't like them so idk.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Nope. Band is awesome.

I will say their stuff from City of Evil and on is SLIGHTLY overrated in that Waking the Fallen (easily their best album IMO) and Sounding the Seventh Trumpet get a bit overlooked in comparison to their other albums.

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

They are not bad.

And I have never heard anybody praising Avenged Sevenfold... ever. So I say they are "normal-rated."

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Even as someone who listens to a lot of pretty heavy stuff, I think they get a lot of unnecessary crap.

They're 'overrated' because they're successful, despite not being 'true metal'.

I honestly don't give a sh*t about that stuff. They're not what I really listen to, but certainly not a bad band.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Probably the most cliched "metal" band that has been around. They were so cheesey yet by so many, revered as a proper metal band. The guitarist synster gates was to alot of people known as one of the best guitarist around, he was so sloppy and just played the same scales over and over again. Then the music generally was pretty predictable but the main, overriding fault of the band. The singers voice. So bad. It sounds like when someone puts on a voice to sing, so annoying and un-musical. Just crap.

However; I saw a video recently where they brought up fans onto stage to play along with them and I thought that was pretty awesome. Still horrible music, but a really decent thing for them to do.

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts
I find their collaboration with Activision on Call of Duty hilarious. As for their music, it sounds too generic for my tastes. It's like they made a list of every metal/rock band cliche and decided to follow it. Still, at least they're not Nickelback. Chad Kroeger is a terrible vocalist and lyricist who believes that if he writes about getting laid, getting drunk and what a general f*ck-up he is, that makes him cool and everyone will think he's some rock god. Every song is pretty much the same. A7X can take comfort in not being Nickelback.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

never heard of them.

TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

XaosII

Yeah, those three bands sound absolutely nothing alike at all whatsoever. Completely, entirely different styles all around...

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LostProphetFLCL

You know I am curious, how many people here are familiar with Avenged's Waking the Fallen/Sounding the Seventh Trumpet stuff (and I ask this to both fans AND haters of the band)? It's really interesting to me just how different those two albums are from the rest of their material which they are known for.

Some examples:

Darkness Surrounding

Second Heartbeat

Streets (Honestly sounds like a Bad Religion song to me)

Reminissions

And to whoever mentioned Shadows singing being weak, I would definitely agree that he is the weak link of the band. With the amount of talent that guys like Gates and The Rev (may he R.I.P) had Shadows is a VERY average singer and just happens to be lucky that his voice fits the music pretty well. I do miss his singing in Waking the Fallen a bit. I feel his singing was a bit better in that album than the others. Didn't he have a throat surgery or something after those first two albums?

Anyways though, Waking the Fallen is still a God-tier album to me and I still do love their other stuff (besides the self-titled album...). I do worry a bit with the Rev being gone now as he was by far my fav member of the band, but I so far have liked the work they have put out following his death and their newest song "Carry On" is actually one of my current drumming projects.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
They're pretty bad, are they all that popular though?
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LostProphetFLCL

They're pretty bad, are they all that popular though?chessmaster1989

I would assume they are with how much Carry On is played on the rock radio stations here. :P

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

I don't like 'em, and plebs seem to like 'em, that's overrated enough for me.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
They're meh.
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#25 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
Meh, I like them a lot and had a lot of fun seeing them live. I don't see why bands have to be absolutely metal or absolutely rock and can't be a little bit of both. They are unique in that sense and they stick to what they like.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Always hated that band They suck.
CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

I'm a fan of them, I don't think they're overrated.  Personally, they are not the greatest of all time, but I myself enjoy all their albums very much.  

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

They used to be awesome when they had neo-classical melodies in their songs. Now it just went downhill.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
it is a sh!tty band and is far from being metal.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Do people actually think they're good? If so, then yes

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#31 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I have no like for them, so I would say yes very much so.

TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

You know I am curious, how many people here are familiar with Avenged's Waking the Fallen/Sounding the Seventh Trumpet stuff (and I ask this to both fans AND haters of the band)? It's really interesting to me just how different those two albums are from the rest of their material which they are known for.

Some examples:

Darkness Surrounding

Second Heartbeat

Reminissions

And to whoever mentioned Shadows singing being weak, I would definitely agree that he is the weak link of the band. With the amount of talent that guys like Gates and The Rev (may he R.I.P) had Shadows is a VERY average singer and just happens to be lucky that his voice fits the music pretty well. I do miss his singing in Waking the Fallen a bit. I feel his singing was a bit better in that album than the others. Didn't he have a throat surgery or something after those first two albums?

Anyways though, Waking the Fallen is still a God-tier album to me and I still do love their other stuff (besides the self-titled album...). I do worry a bit with the Rev being gone now as he was by far my fav member of the band, but I so far have liked the work they have put out following his death and their newest song "Carry On" is actually one of my current drumming projects.

LostProphetFLCL

I actually just discovered their older stuff late last summer after giving their self-titled album a listen and falling head over heels in love with it. So I dug back further into their earlier work, and listening to it inspired me to write an epic blog post describing all of my newfound feels towards the band in detail, lol: http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2012/10/avenged-sevenfold.html

Then once I heard their new song Carry On, had to go ahead and talk about that as well. :P http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2012/12/carry-on.html

Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Freebird8877
Member since 2006 • 3407 Posts

I like City of Evil, but in my opinion, they could do with a better singer.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
Bands cant be overrated imo.
codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts
I didn't know they was rated more than the average mainstream band :P . There is allot of bands better. but they're still pretty good, I like their older sound better tho.
BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
I find them to be overrated but I find most mainstream bands overrated.
codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts
They are a band that everyone around here listens to. No matter what you are. ( Redneck, emo, "normal", black, etc" ). I personally don't get whats so special about them, even tho i like them.
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts
I think they're very overrated. There are far better ones out there. :P
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Some examples:

Darkness Surrounding

Second Heartbeat

Reminissions

TGM_basic

I actually just discovered their older stuff late last summer after giving their self-titled album a listen and falling head over heels in love with it. So I dug back further into their earlier work, and listening to it inspired me to write an epic blog post describing all of my newfound feels towards the band in detail, lol: http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2012/10/avenged-sevenfold.html

Then once I heard their new song Carry On, had to go ahead and talk about that as well. :P http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2012/12/carry-on.html

Funny, I really disliked their self-titled but you loved it, yet we both agree that Waking the Fallen was AMAZING! :P

IDK, for me I would say Waking the Fallen followed by Nightmare, followed by City of Evil/Sounding the Seventh Trumpet followed by their self-titled would be my order of ranking their albums from best to worst.

I was REALLY blown away by Nightmare. While it does drag a tad, the beginning half of that album is just filled with such great songs. Buried Alive, Natural Born Killer, and God Hates Us (one of their heaviest songs of their career oddly enough). They had just lost one of their key members (My personal fav member of the band) and yet they managed to finish that album by getting their fallen comrades idol to fill his spot and I feel like the emotions of what they had just lost played a part in some of the songs.

But yeah, I do really find it silly that so many people seem to just limit themselves to City of Evil and forward when their best album lurks just on the other side.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

I didn't think anyone cared about or listened to this band.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#41 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Most bands are over rated

Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts

ristactionjakso
Lol... Anyway, I just saw Russian Circles, Between The Buried And Me, and Coheed and Cambria last night. Awesome show. Better than the videos you linked, IMO.