Ironman = B grade movie stars roped into an american flag waving exercise

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vashkur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vashkur
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Anyone else see Ironman and find themselves blown away by the level of symbolism designed to make the arms industry in America and America in general look like it is the worlds big older brother on call to save the little guy when ever he needs a hand.

We had Stark in his bright red and gold outfit saving middle eastern families from evil local warlords, and some weird outfit called SHIELD helping him out. And the H in shiled just happened to stand for Homeland, a not so subtle reference to the Dept of Homeland Security I guess as his charachter did nothing throughout the whole movie except conveniently tie up some loose ends right at the end of the film. Oh and how many times do we have to find an excuse to see another f22 raptor blazing across the sky?

I just wonder how many Americans watch this and think yeah thats us saving the world one conflict at a time with our superior ingenuity and technology. When in fact America uses its overwhelming firepower to get itself into conflicts which once they actually have to put ground troops into the front line of find theselves out manouvered, because they might know the science of war like the back of their hands but when it comes to the art of war they have no clue.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I thought "Wow, what a great superhero movie."
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
I thought "Wow, what a great superhero movie."bluezy
That's strange, I thought the same exact thing.
Whicker89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Whicker89
Member since 2004 • 18919 Posts
I expected that team america song at the closing credits "America **** Yeah!"
Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts

I thought "Wow, what a great superhero movie."bluezy

This is exactly what I thought.

smack_masta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 smack_masta
Member since 2006 • 2748 Posts
[QUOTE="bluezy"]I thought "Wow, what a great superhero movie."zakkro

Me five.
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Iron Man was great, and im assuming you dont know what S.H.I.E.L.D is. (Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division)
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts

[QUOTE="zakkro"][QUOTE="bluezy"]I thought "Wow, what a great superhero movie."smack_masta

Me five.

Me six, I saw it with some of my friends and wow I just think your looking at it WAY to closely

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrHoboX
Member since 2004 • 1322 Posts
Read a little history on the comicbook, it'll make this post seem slightly less rediculous
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts
It's an American movie. So it will have it's American quirks to please Americans.
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mechwarrior_bob
Did anyone notice that Americans themselves never pick out these small evil symbols in their movies? and that it's only found by people who have a...argument to pick with U.S.? :roll:
dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dooly420
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
Iron Man was great, and im assuming you dont know what S.H.I.E.L.D is. (Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division)EVOLV3
that was what it originally stood for. it got changed to Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate.
Whicker89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Whicker89
Member since 2004 • 18919 Posts

[QUOTE="MrHoboX"]Read a little history on the comicbook, it'll make this post seem slightly less rediculousBio_Spark

Or about comicbooks in general.

You might have noticed a lot of superheroes do the patriotism thing:

1. Superman protects "Truth, Justice, and the ___________ way."

2. Who is this guy?

Captain _______

3. Spiderman lives in New York, one of the largest and most familiar cities in ________.

...do you see what I'm getting at here?

Actually he defected

mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mechwarrior_bob

[QUOTE="MrHoboX"]Read a little history on the comicbook, it'll make this post seem slightly less rediculousBio_Spark

Or about comicbooks in general.

You might have noticed a lot of superheroes do the patriotism thing:

1. Superman protects "Truth, Justice, and the ___________ way."

2. Who is this guy?

Captain _______

3. Spiderman lives in New York, one of the largest and most familiar cities in ________.

...do you see what I'm getting at here?

...Well since most of the comics were made in Cold War-Era you have to understand that patriotism was important at the time...I mean come on Captain America fought who most of the time...Nazis and Commies?

kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
The enemy from Iron Man comics The Mandarin is a symbol of Communism aswell..
Vashkur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vashkur

Some fair ponts raised.

I have to admit my ignorance of the history of the comic itself.

I just wikied shield and in the film it does stand for "Strategic HOMELAND intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division."

I just think that this depiction of "american" super heroes is no longer relevant post the iraq debacle, abhu graib, rendition, etc etc.

I do love super hero flicks and the first 2 Xmen films are in my opinion absolute crackers. The charachters had depth they weren't attempting to "represent" anything they were just trying to find their place in the world as individuals.

Batman returns also a brilliant movie. Spiderman as well totally awesome series of films.

All of these films however dealt with the protagonists personal struggles with their identity and their place in the world, leaving the politics out of the cinema.

I just find it a little ironic that an American arms dealer is supposed to be flying around the middle east saving the lives of middle eastern families, when thats about as far removed from the reality as you could get.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts

Saving the lives of Middle Eastern families? He did that once, and who he went to attack were the people that had kept him in a cave for 3 months. Plus, they had the Jericho missile.

Watch the movie.

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
did you miss the whole part about how our weapons go to both sides and don;t actually benefit anyone?
Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
Is patriotism such a bad thing?
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#22 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
TC, you do realize that the ficticious SHIELD group was created years and years ago dont you? Its a superhero movie, relax.
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
I really didn't like Iron Man.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

lol the OP fails on quite a few levels.

First, this is based off a COMIC BOOK which has been around for a while and in that comic book there is that SHIELD group you feel the need to complain about.

On top of that, the savng of the people in the Middle East was Starks way of trying to make up for his mistake of developing all those insane weapons. If anything it could be a GREAT commentary on the US considering we GAVE Al-Qaida weapons and then tried to destroy them when they stopped fighting the Russians and decided they didn't like us anymore. Thing is the comics were around before that stuff I do believe so it is just an element that became relevant as time went by.

If you remember, the main villain is an AMERICAN who was supplying terrorists and then betrayed them. Not only that he was insanely stuck on the idea of selling as many weapons as possible to anyone with the money, but he seemed to want to fuel conflict to increase business. Sounds alot like some of our people in Congress *Cough*Cheney*cough*

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

[QUOTE="bluezy"]I thought "Wow, what a great superhero movie."ElectronicMagic

This is exactly what I thought.

Actually i thought "ironman is awesome, but tony stark is a sleezy jerk." :lol: he pissed me off so much...

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

Anyone else see Ironman and find themselves blown away by the level of symbolism designed to make the arms industry in America and America in general look like it is the worlds big older brother on call to save the little guy when ever he needs a hand.

We had Stark in his bright red and gold outfit saving middle eastern families from evil local warlords, and some weird outfit called SHIELD helping him out. And the H in shiled just happened to stand for Homeland, a not so subtle reference to the Dept of Homeland Security I guess as his charachter did nothing throughout the whole movie except conveniently tie up some loose ends right at the end of the film. Oh and how many times do we have to find an excuse to see another f22 raptor blazing across the sky?

I just wonder how many Americans watch this and think yeah thats us saving the world one conflict at a time with our superior ingenuity and technology. When in fact America uses its overwhelming firepower to get itself into conflicts which once they actually have to put ground troops into the front line of find theselves out manouvered, because they might know the science of war like the back of their hands but when it comes to the art of war they have no clue.

Vashkur
way to blow things out of proportion there buddy :|
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I havn't seen it yet.. heard good things though.
Vashkur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vashkur

Saving the lives of Middle Eastern families? He did that once, and who he went to attack were the people that had kept him in a cave for 3 months. Plus, they had the Jericho missile.

Watch the movie.

bluezy

Listing events from the movie which actually confirms what I said in my second post, that an american arems dealer is flying around saving middle eastern families, does not cinstitue an argument.

Vashkur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vashkur

Lsat sentence should read "constitute" not "cinstitute"

My bad

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="bluezy"]

Watch the movie.

Vashkur

Listing events from the movie which actually confirms what I said in my second post, that an american arems dealer is flying around saving middle eastern families, does not cinstitue an argument.

But it is true to the comics. I think you are just reading into it way too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

Question...Who really cares?

OH NO THERES AN AMERICAN FLAG IN THE BACKROUND, THIS IS JUST PLAIN PROPOGANDA, IM NEVER WATCHING THIS AGAIN!!!! RAWRRR!

Seriously. This is just as insane as the part in spiderman when he swings by the giant flag.

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

Strange I thought it was pretty faithful to the comicbook series, I mean the movie and how the comicbook started are almost identical just with different approachs to how characters are introduced into the stories.

American flag waving exercise? I wouldn't even say its really close, wait till a captain america movie is made then you'll see a flag waving exercise.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

Robert Downey Jr. is not a B grade movie star you foolish person:|Film-Guy
I was about to say that myself.

Anyway, you're just reading way too much into the movie. Have you considered the fact that maybe because the word Homeland was included into SHIELD was there to help keep a more modern audience into the movie? Sure it could be something about Homeland Security, but if you look at the original acronyms for SHIELD, regular people who haven't read the comics probably wouldn't notice its importance, while if you include the word Homeland, which is a term everyone here knows, then to a non-comic reading person, it seems like this organization is indeed important.

Now, since you did go into the part about the American war effort in the Middle East, I'm just wondering where you came up with that. Yeah no one's really all that happy about what we're doing over there, but I didn't see anything about what you mentioned saying anything that said "we're doing a good job" or "we're not doing a good job." It's become a well known fact that whatever is produced in the US, weapon wise, has a good chance of making it into the hands of people on the other side. Tony Stark was spurned by the fact that he found out what his weapons are really used for, as he didn't know and care since he thought they were used for the American military. As such, he became enraged and sought to rectify himself by eliminating his weapons from the area. I really don't know where you came up with the "another F22 raptor blazing across the sky" but since the US does have a strong presence over in the Middle East, you have to expect that when something happens that they don't know or can't explain, they're going to want to know what it is.

I just think you're blowing it a little bit out of proportion, but you do have some good points.

Sora529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 Sora529
Member since 2006 • 3755 Posts
[QUOTE="bluezy"]

Watch the movie.

Vashkur

So tell me, how does Stark going after the people who held him captive for 3 months, who also happen to be using his weapons for terrorism, and just happening to save a Middle Eastern family in the process, prove that this movie is propaganda?

I just thought it was a good superhero movie.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
The enemy from Iron Man comics The Mandarin is a symbol of Communism aswell..kruesader
Actually, the Mandarin was an independent operator who frequently had standoffs with the Chinese government, and was an autocrat who wanted to replace the communist government...
Vashkur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vashkur

I guess I shoulda done more research into the charchter/comic before seeing the film, it just was way too "Team America" fo me.

Like I said before I do love SuperHero flicks especially because of the charachter developement and personal struggles that they have to go through like in the movies I mentioned before.

One thing's for sure if they ever make a Captain America flick I'll at least wait for it to be released on DVD.

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
why do people always look too closly at good movies and try to tear it to shreds. it was an amazing movie and it kept me entertained. thats all there is to it
A_Tarkovsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 A_Tarkovsky
Member since 2008 • 2929 Posts
Considering those weapons the terrorists were using were made by an American arms company.....no, absolutely not.
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts

Considering those weapons the terrorists were using were made by an American arms company.....no, absolutely not.A_Tarkovsky

you gave Apollo 13 a 3.5/10...On what grounds

The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Mac_Daddy
Member since 2008 • 2401 Posts

I guess I shoulda done more research into the charchter/comic before seeing the film, it just was way too "Team America" fo me.

Like I said before I do love SuperHero flicks especially because of the charachter developement and personal struggles that they have to go through like in the movies I mentioned before.

One thing's for sure if they ever make a Captain America flick I'll at least wait for it to be released on DVD.

Vashkur

Where are you from, Vashkur?

The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Mac_Daddy

[QUOTE="A_Tarkovsky"]Considering those weapons the terrorists were using were made by an American arms company.....no, absolutely not.FUBAR24

you gave Apollo 13 a 3.5/10...On what grounds

The grounds that Tarkosvsky is a Russian name.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#44 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
I didn't like the amount of USA is the best BS in the beginning but what happened to the Stark weapons happens all the time. We've hired arms dealers to provide friendlies with weapons and those same arms dealers were supplying the other side as well.

As for the actors: Robert Downey Jr. made the movie and he is a pretty good actor. Jeff Bridges shouldn't take any other roles unless he is going to be The Dude again.
The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_Mac_Daddy

I didn't like the amount of USA is the best BS in the beginning but what happened to the Stark weapons happens all the time. We've hired arms dealers to provide friendlies with weapons and those same arms dealers were supplying the other side as well.

As for the actors: Robert Downey Jr. made the movie and he is a pretty good actor. Jeff Bridges shouldn't take any other roles unless he is going to be The Dude again.
Tiefster

What's wrong with the U.S. is the best bs? It is an American movie..

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

[QUOTE="bluezy"]I thought "Wow, what a great superhero movie."zakkro

So did I! What a coincidence.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

Tiefster

its an american movie based on an american comic book..what the hell do you expect, if you dont like america dont watch our movies, simple as that.

Vashkur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vashkur

I'm an Australian.

Where our idea of a super hero is Mick Dundee lol.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 teh_destroyer
Member since 2004 • 35328 Posts
I was too busy starring at his good looking assistant to notice much of that :P.
trickmyster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 trickmyster13
Member since 2005 • 2017 Posts

I'm an Australian.

Where our idea of a super hero is Mick Dundee lol.

Vashkur

...and how was Crocodile Dundee not just a bunch of Austrailian propaganda? I mean really the whole movie was just this guy talking with this wierd accent pure propaganda I tell you pure propaganda.