loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

LONDON -- Ireland’s Supreme Court has issued a ruling declaring that for the purposes of tax law, the bread served in Subway's hot sandwiches does not actually meet the legal definition of “bread” because of its sugar content and is rather a "confectionary or fancy baked good."

The ruling, which was handed down on Sept. 29 by the five-judge Irish Supreme Court, said that the bread’s sugar content -- which is five times higher than what was set out in Ireland’s Value-Added Tax Act of 1972 -- is too sugary to meet the legal definition of bread and therefore cannot be called a staple food.

Source

Do you think that subway 'bread' is bread?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

If they are filling it with addictive substance and calling it "bread", yea, fair game to the Irish.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

What was the need to do this in Ireland? Was Subway benefitting or costing the government money w/ some tax loophole thanks to the bread definition?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@shellcase86: Staple foods are exempt from Ireland's value added tax.

Man Subway, your chicken is 50% other substances, and your bread is basically cake.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@shellcase86 said:

What was the need to do this in Ireland? Was Subway benefitting or costing the government money w/ some tax loophole thanks to the bread definition?

Yes

Bookfinders claimed it was entitled to a refund on the grounds that the VAT should have been 0% because it qualified as a staple food.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Good for Ireland.

@judaspete said:

@shellcase86: ...

Man Subway, your chicken is 50% other substances, and your bread is basically cake.

Gross.

And here I was about to defend Subway; I know they are low quality, but I thought they were at least somewhat wholesome.

TBH I think their quality has gone severely downhill ever since the whole Jared thing.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I will give them this. When you get a sandwich with everything on it, it does come with a substantial amount of vegetables.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1345 Posts

Subway is a physique killer. I remember they used to have some chemical in the bread that is also used in yoga mats in order to maintain its fluffy texture. I used to eat it a lot in high school and college, now I’d rather skip a meal than stop at subway for food.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Dunno why anyone would eat that nasty shit anyway. Local sub places are usually superior and then you also got stuff like Jersey Mikes.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Doesn't surprise me. A lot of Subway items are a bit off. The weirdest Subway offering IMO is their tuna. I mean, it's tasty, but when you see its protein content, you realize that there cannot be as much tuna in it as it seems. Also, their nutrition listing for it shows a lot more trans fat than would be normal if mayonnaise were used. It almost has to be some kind of high-trans fat margarine they put in that stuff instead of mayonnaise.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Have we strayed too far from "bread" being flour, water, yeast and maybe a sprinkle of salt and sugar?

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

This reminds me: Food Theory has a video on it:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Well, if governments actually cared about people's health and stop complaining about healthcare costs, then ban the crap, ban booze and ban smoking.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Carbs/starches get metabolized about the same as sugar so even if they reduced the sugar content it would probably be about the same nutritional value.

Sugar has other negative effects obviously.

Very obvious one being teeth, the UK, and to a degree, Ireland, aren't exactly renowned for their dental care.