Innocent couple who were shot by stupid cops awarded 4.1 million $.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/homeless-couple-shot-sheriff_n_3768663.html

I personally think they deserve more, dude lost his leg after all and the animals that shot him got away clean.

What do you guys think?

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

It's not about the money.  It's about sending a message.

InEMplease
what message do you think it sends?
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Well, it sounds like the couple absolutely deserved the compensation. How much blame (if any) the deputies deserve is not something I can judge on.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

It's enough and I'll bet you they're back on the street again homeless at some point in their lives.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="InEMplease"]

It's not about the money.  It's about sending a message.

InEMplease

what message do you think it sends?

Police are not above the law.

i haven't read the article honestly, but from what i understood by reading the comments, the cop who did this go away with this, if this is true , the message is a bit more complicated than that.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

InEMplease

i haven't read the article honestly, but from what i understood by reading the comments, the cop who did this go away with this, if this is true , the message is a bit more complicated than that.

"The couple was awarded $4.1 million when a judge ruled their civil rights were violated. The deputies involved were cleared of any wrongdoing in an internal investigation."

I feel the message is clear as crystal.

Rofl......what a fvcking joke
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Cops shoot people, then instead of being punished for it the state pays off the victims with money they stole from other innocent people. The "justice" system at work.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I don't have much of an internal or external barometer for how much people should be rewarded for incidents such as this. I'm glad to see police officers not getting away with shooting innocent people though.

edit, whoops spoke too soon, last sentence of the article says they were cleared of any wrongdoing. If they were not in the wrong why award the couple anything?

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
absolutely ridiculous that they admit to violating civil rights, but then say they didn't do anything wrong.. those cops opened fire on innocent people just because they thought a weapon was nearby. They should be in prison.
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

It's enough and I'll bet you they're back on the street again homeless at some point in their lives.

junglist101

Correct.  Money in the hands of people who don't know how to manage money soon changes hands.  :(

If the state doesn't contrive a way to take it back, then somebody else will relieve them of it sooner or later.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

junglist101

Why does that matter?

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

What's the standard operating procedure when a cop sees a gun or an gun look-a-like? I can understand the cops' concern when seeing a weapon but I think they went too far, and that's an understatement.

applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

The cops being let off is a goddamn disgrace.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Damn piggies...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44573 Posts
they need to be sued more, the police don't actually pay it they're probably insured for settlements, what they need to do is increase the damages so the cost to insure police officers goes up so much the departments are forced to fire them or actually let officers go who cost them money.
Avatar image for radicalcentrist
radicalcentrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 radicalcentrist
Member since 2012 • 335 Posts

I personally think they deserve more, dude lost his leg after all and the animals that shot him got away clean.

What do you guys think?

dominer

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it. The victim of a tort only "deserves" the compensation that makes up for whatever they were a victim of. In this case, that's the discounted lifetime lost earnings and value of his limb for the man and woman, which certainly does not add up to 4.1 million dollars. 

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
Hmmm... should just about cover their medical bills
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Did the police take them to the hospital after pumping them? Can't be assed to watch the video.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Of course more money. Would you, say, sell your leg for $4 mil?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Mystery_Writer

Yes. Instantly, without hesitation. I'll do it right now. Want a leg? Hell, I'll also throw in a few toes and a testicle.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="dominer"]

What do you guys think?

radicalcentrist

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it. The victim of a tort only "deserves" the compensation that makes up for whatever they were a victim of. In this case, that's the discounted lifetime lost earnings and value of his limb for the man and woman, which certainly does not add up to 4.1 million dollars.

I don't think you can say that with certainty without knowing how long this family will be working in the future, how productive they will be in the future and how expensive items will be in the future. Also have to factor in the medical costs of removing fourteen bullets from a man and one bullet from a pregnant woman, plus psychological trauma if you consider that to be a thing.
Avatar image for radicalcentrist
radicalcentrist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 radicalcentrist
Member since 2012 • 335 Posts

I don't think you can say that with certainty without knowing how long this family will be working in the future, how productive they will be in the future and how expensive items will be in the future. Also have to factor in the medical costs of removing fourteen bullets from a man and one bullet from a pregnant woman, plus psychological trauma if you consider that to be a thing. Barbariser

The value of a human life is figured out by something that economists call "revealed preference." This revealed preference is obtained by finding out how much workers demand in wages to work at dangerous jobs. For instance, if you demand an extra ten thousand dollars a year to work at a job that presents a half percent chance of dying, then you really only value your life at 2 million dollars. Based on how individuals respond to these incentives, actuaries and congress generally value the life of an american at about 4 million dollars. 

Since the highest cost that anybody can impose on any other individual is death, then nobody could be awared more than said amount. But the injuries faced by these two persons are far, far, far less than death.  

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="dominer"]

What do you guys think?

radicalcentrist

Punitive damages.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

It's astounding that he survived.  And yes, they obviously deserve compensation.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 famicommander

It's astounding that he survived.  And yes, they obviously deserve compensation.

pianist
Any compensation they receive should come from the people involved (the individual police officers). Why should the innocent taxpayer be held responsible to the tune of 4.1 million dollars? Party A injures party B, so we rob party C to compensate party B while party A goes unpunished.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="pianist"]

famicommander

Any compensation they receive should come from the people involved (the individual police officers). Why should the innocent taxpayer be held responsible to the tune of 4.1 million dollars? Party A injures party B, so we rob party C to compensate party B while party A goes unpunished.

Taxpayers are the investors and the owners of cops. I'm also sure that party A lost his job. 

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
I'm also sure that party A lost his job.Wasdie
doesn't seem like it.
The deputies involved were cleared of any wrongdoing in an internal investigation.Article
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Am I the only one that is surprised they shot the man 14 times? How many times do you need to shoot someone to feel you have control of the situation? How can they be cleared of shooting someone 14 times? How do you defend shooting someone 14 times? How do you defend that position and come out with all charges cleared? Not to mention shooting a pregnant woman in her back. That ruling is ludicrous.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 famicommander

[QUOTE="famicommander"][QUOTE="pianist"]

Wasdie

Taxpayers are the investors and the owners of cops. I'm also sure that party A lost his job. 

Investment is voluntary. Taxation is not.
Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

Should have been a million for every bullet.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#34 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts
Cops shoot people, then instead of being punished for it the state pays off the victims with money they stole from other innocent people. The "justice" system at work.famicommander
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

Am I the only one that is surprised they shot the man 14 times? How many times do you need to shoot someone to feel you have control of the situation? How can they be cleared of shooting someone 14 times? How do you defend shooting someone 14 times? How do you defend that position and come out with all charges cleared? Not to mention shooting a pregnant woman in her back. That ruling is ludicrous.

Zlurodirom
this is what kept pestering me holy hell! 14 bullets onto a single man, and he survived! and his pregnant wife got shot twice, and the baby was still born in full health!
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]

Makhaidos

Yes. Instantly, without hesitation. I'll do it right now. Want a leg? Hell, I'll also throw in a few toes and a testicle.

you're kidding, right?
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Makhaidos
[QUOTE="Makhaidos"]

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]

Mystery_Writer

you're kidding, right?

I'm kidding about doing it right now, because I'll want the payment up front. But would I give up a leg for four million dollars? Honest-to-God, yes.
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mystery_Writer

I'm kidding about doing it right now, because I'll want the payment up front. But would I give up a leg for four million dollars? Honest-to-God, yes.Makhaidos

I'm honestly shocked if you're not kidding.

It's a friggin' leg man! wtf is $4 mil compared to a leg?!

not even Bill Gates' fortune worth a toe, let alone $4mil

it's simply priceless

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="InEMplease"]

"The couple was awarded $4.1 million when a judge ruled their civil rights were violated. The deputies involved were cleared of any wrongdoing in an internal investigation."

Rich3232

Rofl......what a fvcking joke

im-going-to-protect-and-serve-the-shit-o

sadly it actually is a joke

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#40 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Who pays that? Surely the policeman doesn't have the money...
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

InEMplease

Such a shame. Both of those statements contradict each other. The cops violated their civil rights, yet they were cleared of any wrongdoings. Damn BS. The attitude/image towards the police in the US is NOT getting any better.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 junglist101

they need to be sued more, the police don't actually pay it they're probably insured for settlements, what they need to do is increase the damages so the cost to insure police officers goes up so much the departments are forced to fire them or actually let officers go who cost them money.lamprey263
We the taxpayers pay it...

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 junglist101

[QUOTE="Makhaidos"] I'm kidding about doing it right now, because I'll want the payment up front. But would I give up a leg for four million dollars? Honest-to-God, yes.Mystery_Writer

it's simply priceless

To be fair living with only one leg would be a lot easier if you're rich.  

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Makhaidos

[QUOTE="Makhaidos"] I'm kidding about doing it right now, because I'll want the payment up front. But would I give up a leg for four million dollars? Honest-to-God, yes.Mystery_Writer

it's simply priceless

Yeah, but I got another one. Way I figure it, I come out of that deal the winner. I could always buy a new one if I needed it.

OlentZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OlentZer0
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
all i can say is wow and they are more than likely me homeless again.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="InEMplease"] i haven't read the article honestly, but from what i understood by reading the comments, the cop who did this go away with this, if this is true , the message is a bit more complicated than that.InEMplease

WTF
Cops shoot people, then instead of being punished for it the state pays off the victims with money they stole from other innocent people. The "justice" system at work.famicommander
Agreed. The fukin cops must be punished.