In US, racism is linked to gun ownership

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#101 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I guess im a racist then and I don't care. Still can't have my gun commies.

I think it's racist for black gangs to all have 9mm and glocks. There, i guess im racist now. Blacks with 9mm and glocks are in a gang. Thats pretty much the "common sense" this article uses.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

The correlation seems backward, or at least the way it is phrased in this forum. Owing a gun can't influence levels of bigotry, it's an inanimate object. I would think it would be the other way around if anything. PERHAPS I could see that racists are more likely to own guns, NOT that owning a gun makes you more likely to magically become racist.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 dsmccracken

@thegerg said:

@dsmccracken: How can a correlation be backwards?

Quite so, you're right to point out that my statement made no sense. The relationship, the order of operations, which is the influencer and which is the influenced.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 dsmccracken

@thegerg said:

@dsmccracken: No one is claiming that owning a gun makes one into a racist.

I guess you're right. Maybe I just don't like the way the topic title and OP have been phrased. If we were talking religion, one would state that the odds of being an atheist has been linked with education levels, NOT that education levels have been linked with atheism, as if one is more likely to go to get a Masters Degree if an atheist.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 dsmccracken

@thegerg said:

@dsmccracken said:

@thegerg said:

@dsmccracken: No one is claiming that owning a gun makes one into a racist.

I guess you're right. Maybe I just don't like the way the topic title and OP have been phrased. If we were talking religion, one would state that the odds of being an atheist has been linked with education levels, NOT that education levels have been linked with atheism, as if one is more likely to go to get a Masters Degree if an atheist.

" If we were talking religion, one would state that the odds of being an atheist has been linked with education levels, NOT that education levels have been linked with atheism"

Why not? If things are linked they're linked.

I believe the part you cut out of my quote is the explanation for my rationale. Things can be linked, that link is often ordered in a specific way, and I think that the language conveys and the nuance of that link and the order.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 dsmccracken

Well, I think that often the causation vs. correlation argument is an excercise in semantics. That is not a criticism, just an observation. Something might often be seen in tandem with something (correlation) while not directly caused by that something (causation), but in my experience that doesn't always mean that they are equal, or that the distinction is that simple. In effect, there can be a correlation (as opposed to causation but not excluding all elements of same), but distinguished by one of the correlated factors being the "senior partner" while the other is the "junior partner."

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@dsmccracken said:

Well, I think that often the causation vs. correlation argument is an excercise in semantics. That is not a criticism, just an observation. Something might often be seen in tandem with something (correlation) while not directly caused by that something (causation), but in my experience that doesn't always mean that they are equal, or that the distinction is that simple. In effect, there can be a correlation (as opposed to causation but not excluding all elements of same), but distinguished by one of the correlated factors being the "senior partner" while the other is the "junior partner."

you might want to look up causation and correlation

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

.............What?

Non-white races own guns too ya know.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Boddicker said:

.............What?

Non-white races own guns too ya know.

the study was only on white people who are racist against black people

Jakejack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#116 Jakejack
Member since 2003 • 181 Posts

@thegerg said:

@ristactionjakso: "Blacks with 9mm and glocks are in a gang. Thats pretty much the "common sense" this article uses."

No, it's not. You're not too smart, huh?

I just caught you trolling someone else in another thread. How many of these "semantics" troll games do you play with people?

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Probably because gun ownership is correlated with redneckness.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#119  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

@huggybear1020 said:
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

duh, people who are pro gun are more conservative, and the more guns they have, odds are they are even more conservative.

and the more conservative people are, the more likely they are to be racist.

That's as ridiculous as saying, "The more liberal people are, the more likely they are to be pothead slackers"

Well thats probably true, not the slacker part. The pothead part. Since liberals tend to support legalization more.

Welfare queens too. Far more likely to be liberal.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 dsmccracken

@thegerg said:

@dsmccracken: "I think that often the causation vs. correlation argument is an excercise in semantics."

No, it's not an exercise in semantics. It's an exercise in observed cause and effect. Saying 2 things are linked does not tell us any type of causal relationship.

Causation vs. correlation is not an exercise in semantics, but the arguments regarding same often are.