Im interested in moving to Europe.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Ive become a BBC freak as of late. Not so much for the shows but for the culture and the scenery. Me and my GF are currently in an active search for change while im in the midst of a complete life reboot.

I know i would like to live somewhere overseas but i know very little as im early in the process. Im assuming at some point i will need to apply for citizenship or get a visa of some kind. Not really sure how europe works in this regard.

I dont really have a Career that i could use as a propellant to european life so it would more than likely be me moving over there and starting new in a trade or lower end job of some kind.

How feasible would this be?

How much of a financial buffer should i plan for?

Id prefer semi rural but close to a major metro area of some kind. Geographically speaking im not really farmiliar with such a place.

Just trying to get some foot notes to help kickstart my researching.

GeorgeTopouria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 GeorgeTopouria
Member since 2005 • 3988 Posts
Come to Tbilisi.
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Scandinavia would be a good bet. People speak relatively good English, and the health care/education is phenomenal. And if you move to Norway, you'll be a rich man because the Norweigan Crown (currency) is so bloody strong.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Alter_Echo

Come to Tbilisi.GeorgeTopouria

Arent you that guy who was barely missing getting blown up the other day? I think i'll pass.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
Where are you coming from? You have to line up a job and a place to stay. Ive been across europe but i prefer it for a vacation rather than living there. I say visit first then move
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
Come to England. 'nuff said :P. I live in the southwest (somerset county to be exact) and i've travelled a lot and although it may not be the most interesting place, it's absolutely beautiful, with major cities just 1/2-1 hour drive away.. rural yet populated and full of nice towns and scenic villages. Relatively cheap for accomodation compared to say London, high employment. 1hour drive from the coast. Tis all gooood :)
ShadowofTulkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShadowofTulkas
Member since 2007 • 1811 Posts

I would like to visit Europe one of these days, I think it would be a pretty cool experience.

grisibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 grisibur
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts

Scandinavia would be a good bet. People speak relatively good English, and the health care/education is phenomenal. And if you move to Norway, you'll be a rich man because the Norweigan Crown (currency) is so bloody strong.Vfanek

Scandinavian people have the best English in Europe except the English >.>

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Not sure. if you want somewhere that language obviously wont be a problem, then UK or Ireland.

Maybe Germany otherwise, it's nice there. Somewhere in the east, next to Poland. It fits your description nicely.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
before any of those questions can be answeered you have to decide on some possible places cause not all of europe is the same. If you don't want to learn a new language you're limited to the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Iceland and some parts of scandinavia
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 markop2003

[QUOTE="Vfanek"]Scandinavia would be a good bet. People speak relatively good English, and the health care/education is phenomenal. And if you move to Norway, you'll be a rich man because the Norweigan Crown (currency) is so bloody strong.grisibur

Scandinavian people have the best English in Europe except the English >.>

*looks at holand* nope, i think they speak it better than the english even

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Alter_Echo

Id prefer somewhere that was compatible with the english language since getting a job and whatnot would be loads easier.

Are there any places that i would NOT want to live for obvious governmental reasons that i might not find through research?

I sort of wanted to eliminate the glaring bad areas before looking for the right one.

rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#13 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts

tour the places first.

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts

I live in Cornwall, the very South West of England. It's the country side alright, it's not for everyone. I'll prefer to live in a city myself. But, I step outside my house and take a picture with my mobile, I see this. I have a feeling your looking for the more British Urban environment. I suggest Nottingham or Cardiff. It's not blow your head off like London, but they're beautiful cities with everything you could ever want.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 angelkimne

Id prefer somewhere that was compatible with the english language since getting a job and whatnot would be loads easier.

Are there any places that i would NOT want to live for obvious governmental reasons that i might not find through research?

I sort of wanted to eliminate the glaring bad areas before looking for the right one.

Alter_Echo

Not sure.

Maybe not Georgia, for obvious reasons :P

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alter_Echo

I live in Cornwall, the very South West of England. It's the country side alright, it's not for everyone. I'll prefer to live in a city myself. But, I step outside my house and take a picture with my mobile, I see this. I have a feeling your looking for the more British Urban environment. I suggest Nottingham or Cardiff. It's not blow your head off like London, but they're beautiful cities with everything you could ever want.

TristanShand

Thats beautiful. Something like that with winding roads...dotted with little family shops and small pubs and dining locations would be awesome.

I just need to be close enough to the city to reap the benefits like having access to easy shopping and whatnot.

I absolutely cant live without high speed net and Hi def tv. Im not sure how those services are restricted over there based on geography. Here in america its entirely possible to live somewhere with neither of them available and not really be that far away from a metro area.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
[QUOTE="TristanShand"]

Alter_Echo

Thats beautiful. Something like that with winding roads...dotted with little family shops and small pubs and dining locations would be awesome.

I just need to be close enough to the city to reap the benefits like having access to easy shopping and whatnot.

I absolutely cant live without high speed net and Hi def tv. Im not sure how those services are restricted over there based on geography. Here in america its entirely possible to live somewhere with neither of them available and not really be that far away from a metro area.

dude! lol it looks JUSt like that out of my window right now. Well, your only the next county down from me.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 angelkimne
[QUOTE="TristanShand"]

Alter_Echo

Well if you want to live near Cornwall, there is a big city called Plymouth near by.
totalmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 totalmachine
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

Move to Italy. Best place in the whole freakin world!

(or so I've been told. 8) )

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Liverpool. Capital of Culture 08. Actually, stay out of England. Inflation is at an 11 year high. The cost of living is ridiculous. Petrol prices are some of the highest in Europe. Gas and Electricity prices are getting higher every year.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 markop2003
[QUOTE="TristanShand"]

Alter_Echo

Cable broadband is pretty much nation wide and sky ofers satalite broadband at a resnoble price along with TV and phone, so that shouldn't be an issue. If you really want that winding roads and hills sort of thing up north is pretty resnoble, right next to the peak district and lake district, try the green belt around manchester or near cardif perhaps. Don't look at London though because getting in is terrible, it's ok if you're just taking the train in casually but if you have to get to work you'ld hate it, also there's the conjestion charge and it's more expensive down south.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 markop2003

totalmachine

it's great if you're a motorbike rider but if you drive you'ld hate it, you really have to be awake whilst driving cause the trafic will never stop to let you cross unless there are lights so you just have to walk infront of the trafic and hope they stop.

Isbrealiompie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Isbrealiompie
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts
Come to Ireland, we have the 5th highest GDP in the world, english is our first language, house prices are falling down and theres jobs everywhere. Just get health insurance, dont even go near public health care.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TristanShand

Where I live, i'm about 25 miles to Truro (a fairly small but pleasent city with great pubs and a good mainstream nightlife) and about 55 miles to Plymouth (a much bigger city with a kick ass cinema and Drakes Circus (a large indoor shopping centre in the middle of the city). So towns aren't really a problem.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 angelkimne

totalmachine

I got a holiday home there near the sea side in a little village called Monte Rubbiano.

It's pretty nice but there are hardly any jobs I've noticed and no-one speaks english at all.

iJeff32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iJeff32
Member since 2008 • 354 Posts
Stay at your birthland, it is your destiny..
mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

Come to Croatia, City of Pula

Very nice

DJ_Novakain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DJ_Novakain
Member since 2008 • 2147 Posts
Damn, I wanna move somehwere like Ireland or Netherlands. I hear Ireland is like one of the best places to live...
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
It's easy living in the netherlands because of the great healthcare/education etc., but you'll have to cope with eventually learning a new language, and incredably flat terrain. Totally flat terrain is nice if you're used to living in hilly areas, but once you're in a flat country for more than a year, you'll really like a change.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Flat? Show us pics.
marcus4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 marcus4hire
Member since 2003 • 2684 Posts

TristanShand

I'm so there. OMW

*goes to pack bag to move in with TristanShand*

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TristanShand
[QUOTE="TristanShand"]

marcus4hire

I'm so there. OMW

*goes to pack bag to move in with TristanShand*

If your gorgeous alternative babe with an obsession for piercings, sparkly things and raunchy clothing. Come right in!

FunkWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 FunkWeasel
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

England/Ireland/Wales would be the easiest move. They all speak English and there would be little culture shock. However, if you are willing to learn a new language, any country west of Poland is a safe bet. Just saty out of the Balkans...

Believe it or not, Russia isn't half bad if you know where to live. Moscow is really culture drenched in Russian heritage, thus less accessable, but St. Petersburg is one of the most wordly cities there is. Just bring a coat.

Isbrealiompie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Isbrealiompie

Damn, I wanna move somehwere like Ireland or Netherlands. I hear Ireland is like one of the best places to live...DJ_Novakain

Ireland is the best place to live, if you have a degree in computer science and have private health care. Otherwise its just a great place to live.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 markop2003

Flat? Show us pics.X360PS3AMD05

havn't got pics but facts, highest point is 322.5m above sea level, lowest is 6.7m below sea level

DJ_Novakain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DJ_Novakain
Member since 2008 • 2147 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Novakain"]Damn, I wanna move somehwere like Ireland or Netherlands. I hear Ireland is like one of the best places to live...Isbrealiompie

Ireland is the best place to live, if you have a degree in computer science and have private health care. Otherwise its just a great place to live.

Wow, im considering computer science as a degree. I might be tempted to move there If i do...
Isbrealiompie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Isbrealiompie
[QUOTE="Isbrealiompie"]

[QUOTE="DJ_Novakain"]Damn, I wanna move somehwere like Ireland or Netherlands. I hear Ireland is like one of the best places to live...DJ_Novakain

Wow, im considering computer science as a degree. I might be tempted to move there If i do...

anything do with microprocessing is also a good idea, intel europe are based in ireland and they pay well from what I hear.
just make sure you live in the dublin area and you'll be grand.

bigster72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bigster72
Member since 2005 • 770 Posts

Flat? Show us pics.X360PS3AMD05

It wont get any flatter then this

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Alter_Echo

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Flat? Show us pics.bigster72

WOW. Check out that massive straight away. Its like its asking you to see how fast you can go.

Beautiful shot btw.

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

Come to England.

D:

rastaman219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rastaman219
Member since 2006 • 3032 Posts
In England theirs Oxford it's a Uni town and close to London or Reigate and Epsom both in Surrey are good Google them low Crime rate and agood breed of Humans living there, also close to Lonon as in 45mins close but in the countrysideish
ShamrockRovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ShamrockRovers
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts

Damn, I wanna move somehwere like Ireland or Netherlands. I hear Ireland is like one of the best places to live...DJ_Novakain

Come to Dublin, The fastest grwing city in Europe:)

Half-Life_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 Half-Life_man
Member since 2006 • 6302 Posts
Me too, actually. Less overweight people, less stress, less pollution and stuff unless I'm mistaken.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Alter_Echo

Me too, actually. Less overweight people, less stress, less pollution and stuff unless I'm mistaken.Half-Life_man

For me its not really any one thing like that. Im just tired of living in america. Not because its bad but simply because im seeking change.

Im going to spend a few days researching Ireland and a few of the other places mentioned. Thanks for all the posts people.

kipknots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kipknots
Member since 2003 • 492 Posts
[QUOTE="bigster72"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Flat? Show us pics.Alter_Echo

WOW. Check out that massive straight away. Its like its asking you to see how fast you can go.

Beautiful shot btw.

Nah, you've got Germany for that. There are still high ways there without speed limits.

bird-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bird-man
Member since 2005 • 575 Posts

Then leave, love it or leave it brother.

EvilSteveo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EvilSteveo
Member since 2008 • 1995 Posts

Come to glasgow we hosting the 2014 commonwealth games , or for the country come to some wear like east kilbride where i live eastkilbride has the largest shopping centre in scotland and alot of country areas for a large town.

EvilSteveo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EvilSteveo
Member since 2008 • 1995 Posts
I mean alot of countryside areas for a large town. We aslo have a coke cola factory in eastkilbride and many more things including me.