This topic is locked from further discussion.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

I was just looking at videos on youtube and ran across this. I live about 10 miles from where this thing hit and I was still asleep when the storms went through. It really makes me wonder what would have happened had it happened just a little more north west and stuck while I was asleep. Has anyone else experienced a tornado like this? I just moved from Texas to Illinois earlier this year and have been through a few small weak tornadoes that tear shingles off of roofs and break branches, but I've never thought of the sheer power these things can really possess.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Tornadoes are the precise reason why I don't live in or anywhere near the midwest. Those things terrify me.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

i live a bit ways away, in Mascoutah. the wind was fucking fierce that morning.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@caseystryker: Holy shit, where do you live? I'm in glasford, just outside of Peoria, probably about 40-ish minutes away from washington. Never thought I'd meet anyone in the area on here.

Anywho, yeah its bad. This is the worst tornado that has hit the area in a while that i can recall. Usually we don;t get them, at least not like this. Thoughts are with the family. Apprantly it was an F4 tornado as well.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 caseystryker

I moved to Peoria off of War Memorial and Grand Prairie.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@caseystryker said:

I moved to Peoria off of War Memorial and Grand Prairie.

Nice man, I hope you like the area:)

Just watched the vid, and man....words cannot describe. I have never seen an actual video like that, it was a basically a before/during/after. The sound was so awful hearing the wind rushing and the wood bending and break. And it moved so fast too, thats the amazing part, it looked like it was still a ways off. Sirens jsut started going off when it hit too:( thats just scary.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By caseystryker

Thanks, it's a big change coming from the Dallas area to here, but I like it. It's much more slow paced, which is a good thing, but I swear the cold weather is going to kill me. BTW, as bad as I feel about what happened to this family, I couldn't stop thinking to myself that he sounds just like Kenny Powers.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Tornado's would think twice to mess with me. Which is why I still haven't seen one yet in my life. Probably. Yeah.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I live in Peoria which is 10 mile from Washington where it was hit, it was rain and heavy win but I was just relax on my computer surfing the net as usual... my g/f lives in Sunny Land, she was dropping off her daughter off to work in Washington Taco Bell which the tornado hit right across the street just 10 minutes before the hit.. we all still alive, talked about luck.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Yeah, about half of my hometown (I haven't lived there in almost a decade) in southern Illinois pretty much got flattened. My grandfather's house was destroyed in the tornado.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

There is not one State in the continental US that has not been hit by a tornado at one time or another over the last 56 years. The vast majority hit east of the Rockies, but even then, they have them in Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho etc.

Tornado Tracks Over The Last 56 Years of All Strengths shows where they have touched down and the approximate length of the track on the ground. I see one that traveled through three States, Louisiana, Mississippi and into Tennessee.