If banning guns saved lives, would you be in favor of it?

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nekrothing
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

Hypothetically speaking, if banning guns reduced crime and gun violence by 50%, would you be in favor of it?

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24945 Posts
Sure, why not?
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
A resounding yes would be my answer. 'Merica needs it's guns though to fight off all the tyranny! USA USA USA USA
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I don't have an answer since the hypothesis is absolutely ridiculous. Like, ban guns for whom? Everyone? Civilians only? And would this only affect a single nation? Or the whole world?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

No.  The principle of a person having a right to defend themselves on a relatively equal footing to criminals is sound.  Whether or not the statistics showed a collective lowering of gun deaths is not the issue.  

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
not really. i don't care all that much about "saving" lives.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

it  always has to come down to a total blanket ban, or a limitless free-for-all in these debates doesn't it.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Banning cars would probably save a lot of lives too. Why not ban those?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
No. I want the option to kill someone if they harm me.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 22Toothpicks
Banning cars would probably save a lot of lives too. Why not ban those?famicommander
Because cars weren't designed with the sole intention of killing someone.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I don't have an answer since the hypothesis is absolutely ridiculous.  Zeviander

Yup. May as well ban cars so we can reduce the drunk driving rate by exactly 100%!

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nekrothing

No.  The principle of a person having a right to defend themselves on a relatively equal footing to criminals is sound.  Whether or not the statistics showed a collective lowering of gun deaths is not the issue.  

hartsickdiscipl

Assuming the reduced rate of crime and gun violence was a direct result of the gun ban, would you still be content with letting people die so you can continue to own guns?

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 22Toothpicks
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. I want the option to kill someone if they harm me.

And a gun is the only means by which you could accomplish this? Be a man and strangle someone with your BARE HANDS.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts

it  always has to come down to a total blanket ban, or a limitless free-for-all in these debates doesn't it.

Audacitron
Of course. Most of the actual policies proposed in either direction are largely meaningless and ineffectual. If we debated solely along those lines it wouldn't be an effective wedge issue..
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. I want the option to kill someone if they harm me.

And a gun is the only means by which you could accomplish this? Be a man and strangle someone with your BARE HANDS.

F-- that. I don't want to go to the gym more than I already do.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 22Toothpicks
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. I want the option to kill someone if they harm me.

Crushing someone's trachea probably isn't that difficult you fairy. Perhaps is is BEAR hands that you require?
nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nekrothing

I don't have an answer since the hypothesis is absolutely ridiculous. Like, ban guns for whom? Everyone? Civilians only? And would this only affect a single nation? Or the whole world? Zeviander

Civilians only, worldwide.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

nekrothing

Assuming the reduced rate of crime and gun violence was a direct result of the gun ban, would you still be content with letting people die so you can continue to own guns?

I don't believe in collectivist thinking.  People have an individual right to defend themselves.  If you put an outright gun ban in place, many criminals would still be doing the killing with illegal guns.  Even if that number was a lot lower than it is currently (which isn't how it works), I would still be disarmed in a country with armed criminals.  No way,  

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Banning cars would probably save a lot of lives too. Why not ban those?famicommander

I don't own a car, so it makes no difference to me.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] And a gun is the only means by which you could accomplish this? Be a man and strangle someone with your BARE HANDS.

Crushing someone's trachea probably isn't that difficult you fairy. Perhaps is is BEAR hands that you require?

Gun's better, no handwork required.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I don't have an answer since the hypothesis is absolutely ridiculous. Like, ban guns for whom? Everyone? Civilians only? And would this only affect a single nation? Or the whole world? nekrothing

Given what we've seen historically, this is a very bad idea.  Military and police can lay down their arms first.  Then I might think about it.  

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 br0kenrabbit

Crushing someone's trachea probably isn't that difficult you fairy. Perhaps is is BEAR hands that you require?22Toothpicks

If your hands can reach him, his can reach you.

My .308 can reach a hell of a lot further than your hands.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. I want the option to kill someone if they harm me. 22Toothpicks

Hard to do that when the person trying to kill you is using an illegal gun.  

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 22Toothpicks

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I don't have an answer since the hypothesis is absolutely ridiculous. Like, ban guns for whom? Everyone? Civilians only? And would this only affect a single nation? Or the whole world? nekrothing

Fvck that noise. If guns are banned then they should be so under absolute terms and since such a scenario is tantamount to a fairy I would say no to banning guns in this situation.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 22Toothpicks

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] Crushing someone's trachea probably isn't that difficult you fairy. Perhaps is is BEAR hands that you require?br0kenrabbit

I'm totally impressed.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
People kill people So I think we should ban people to save our guns
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] Crushing someone's trachea probably isn't that difficult you fairy. Perhaps is is BEAR hands that you require?22Toothpicks

I'm totally impressed.

You'd be totally dead if using your "method" against a person with a gun.  

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

No, I'm not fond of giving up liberty for safety. Getting rid of the right to privacy could save millions of lives, but I would never support it being banned.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 br0kenrabbit

I'm totally impressed.22Toothpicks

I'm making a point.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts
Considering that's impossible, no. I don't even own a gun and I think the idea of civilians not having guns is stupid.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zeviander
Because cars weren't designed with the sole intention of killing someone.22Toothpicks
You have no idea about what guns are "designed" for. There are guns used, and specifically designed, for Olympic sport shooting. No death involved at all. Guns have other uses than killing, just like cars (which can be used with the intent to kill, and have an innumerable amount of times), and it is incredibly naïve to think banning them outright would solve all the worlds problems. We'd just find other ways to kill one another. We will always find ways to kill one another.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

Total deaths in the U.S. in 2011 was 2,468,435. Total gun deaths around 30,000. Of the 30,00 gun deaths 19,392 are by suicide.

So about .44% of deaths in the United States are by deliberate gun violence.

No, I wouldn't be in much favor for it or else we would have to ban over eating as that is a cause of death too. More than gun deaths. Both of which are liberties given to us in the Constitution, Bill of Rights. Overeating may not be explicitly, but you could certainly argue it would be discrimination and in violation of the 14th Amendment. 

MADD has already fvcked the system up by making the drinking age 21. Only around 10,000 die from drunk every year. Your state cannot get federal grants for highway maintenance unless the drinking age is 21. Pretty fvcked up.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

depends.

is it the realistic "we should ban guns, but they can be obtained illegally still" scenario?  Then no, I don't really see the point.

or is it the ideal "no one has a gun, criminal or otherwise, and we can end all gun-related deaths" scenario?  Then of course yes.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

If a ban was guaranteed to have a drastic effect on the amount of people getting killed by guns, yes. Results are more important than principles IMO.

However, the idea that banning guns in the US will drastically reduce the amount of people killed buy guns is tenuous as hell, so in reality, I don't support banning guns.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 22Toothpicks

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] I'm totally impressed.br0kenrabbit

I'm making a point.

That's nice.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zeviander
Civilians only, worldwide.nekrothing
:lol: You naïve idiot.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]Because cars weren't designed with the sole intention of killing someone.Zeviander
You have no idea about what guns are "designed" for. There are guns used, and specifically designed, for Olympic sport shooting. No death involved at all.

Guns have other uses than killing, just like cars (which can be used with the intent to kill, and have an innumerable amount of times), and it is incredibly naïve to think banning them outright would solve all the worlds problems.

We'd just find other ways to kill one another.We will always find ways to kill one another.

That would be a large percentage...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 br0kenrabbit

is it the realistic "we should ban guns, but they can be obtained illegally still" scenario?

mrbojangles25

As long as you can buy a metal pipe, grow some hay, start a campfire and urinate, you can make guns and ammo.

If you want to get fancy, get a ceramic kiln.

Boom....factory.

Might need more people pissing in a jar than just you if you're going all mass-production, though.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 22Toothpicks
[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]Because cars weren't designed with the sole intention of killing someone.Zeviander
You have no idea about what guns are "designed" for. There are guns used, and specifically designed, for Olympic sport shooting. No death involved at all. Guns have other uses than killing, just like cars (which can be used with the intent to kill, and have an innumerable amount of times), and it is incredibly naïve to think banning them outright would solve all the worlds problems. We'd just find other ways to kill one another. We will always find ways to kill one another.

Come the fvck off of it. Guns were originally created as a more efficient means of KILLING PEOPLE. It might not be their sole purpose (poor choice of words on my part) but it for damn sure is the predominant purpose.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreySeal9

No, I'm not fond of giving up liberty for safety. Getting rid of the right to privacy could save millions of lives, but I would never support it being banned.

Ingenemployee

I personally don't think liberty is more important than safety or vice-versa. I think society should strive to find the best balance between the two.

nekrothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nekrothing

For all of you saying that you wouldn't give up your "liberty" to save lives, how would you feel if your life was on the line? Would you still feel the same way, even if it meant your death? Or the death of a family member (son, daughter, parent)?

Are your guns worth more than your life? Pathetic.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Ingenemployee"]

GreySeal9

I personally don't think liberty is more important than safety or vice-versa. I think society should strive to find the best balance between the two.

Do you live in the US?  

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

is it the realistic "we should ban guns, but they can be obtained illegally still" scenario?

br0kenrabbit

As long as you can buy a metal pipe, grow some hay, start a campfire and urinate, you can make guns and ammo.

If you want to get fancy, get a ceramic kiln.

Boom....factory.

Might need more people pissing in a jar than just you if you're going all mass-production, though.

yeah i remember making a shotgun out of some pipe when I was younger when my friend and I found a shell.  Really, really stupid thing to do...but at the time it was a good idea :P  Good ol' anarchist cookbook

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Ingenemployee"]

hartsickdiscipl

Do you live in the US?  

Yes.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zeviander
Come the fvck off of it.22Toothpicks
No. Guns probably save as many lives as they end. They kill people threatening innocent life... and that is worth saving.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hartsickdiscipl

For all of you saying that you wouldn't give up your "liberty" to save lives, how would you feel if your life was on the line? Would you still feel the same way, even if it meant your death? Or the death of a family member (son, daughter, parent)?

Are your guns worth more than your life? Pathetic.

nekrothing

You're very naive.  I can forgive that.  I can't forgive you insulting people who acknowledge the lessons that history teaches us.  

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="famicommander"]Banning cars would probably save a lot of lives too. Why not ban those?thegerg
Because cars weren't designed with the sole intention of killing someone.

Yet, if we look at the statistics, they are still far better at killing people than guns. It's kind of silly to argue from that position. Why should we be rid of something designed to kill because it kills, but keep something that's designed not to kill but kills far more? Anyway, not all guns are designed with the sol intention to kill someone.

huh

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Do you live in the US?  

Yes.

Big fan of our current president?

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 22Toothpicks

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

hartsickdiscipl

I'm totally impressed.

You'd be totally dead if using your "method" against a person with a gun.  

FFS you have such a hardon for this gun debate. I was being facetious.