Iceland's eruptions could have global consequences

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Link

Link 2

Scary, right now all UK flights have been cancelled until Saturday and there are reports that things will intensify.

With everything that's happened already this year, I can't believe it's only April.

Do you think things will get worse?

ITzCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ITzCobra
Member since 2010 • 748 Posts
[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]

Link

Link 2

Scary, right now all UK flights have been cancelled until Saturday and there are reports that things will intensify.

With everything that's happened already this year, I can't believe it's only April.

Do you think things will get worse?

lol i already know.. (im from the uk) its not that bad were i am but it is over scotland.. oh and hi
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xorital
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

Well you know 2012 and all, just two years, gotta get ready for us all to burn muahahahahaahaha *ahem*

I mean no everything will be fine :D

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
I'm not worried about any apocalyptic happenings. Why, you may wonder? Everyone knows that the sure sign of the apocalypse is zombies. Until they strike we're fine.
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xorital

I'm not worried about any apocalyptic happenings. Why, you may wonder? Everyone knows that the sure sign of the apocalypse is zombies. Until they strike we're fine.spazzx625

What if we are zombies and we dont even know it? =O

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MushroomWig

Well you know 2012 and all, just two years, gotta get ready for us all to burn muahahahahaahaha *ahem*

Xorital
Haha, I wondered how long it would be before somebody mentained 2012. This happened 200 years ago so it's not completely abnormal, you only need to worry if Yellowstone erupts.
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xorital

[QUOTE="Xorital"]

MushroomWig

Haha, I wondered how long it would be before somebody mentained 2012. This happened 200 years ago so it's not completely abnormal, you only need to worry if Yellowstone erupts.

Well I don't exactly believe 2012 is real I was just throwing it around...but then again, what if 2012 happened 200 years ago and we just dont know it

Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

[QUOTE="Xorital"]

MushroomWig

I watched a show about Yellow Stone the other day. There is a giant magma chamber under there that is 45 miles wide and 410 miles deep. The thing is, it is overdue for an eruption.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]I'm not worried about any apocalyptic happenings. Why, you may wonder? Everyone knows that the sure sign of the apocalypse is zombies. Until they strike we're fine.Xorital

Well, I have been craving brains lately...That would explain it...
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xorital

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="Xorital"]

Atmanix

I watched a show about Yellow Stone the other day. There is a giant magma chamber under there that is 45 miles wide and 410 miles deep. The thing is, it is overdue for an eruption.

I think it'd be an epic eruption

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
It's very strange, there have been no planes in the sky since Thursday morning.. quite an eerie sight when you look up. The cloud itself isn't visible, but some ash has fallen to ground further north in Scotland for example. The disruption to air travel is absolutely incredible.. not a single flight for over 24 hours in the whole of the UK is unprecedented, as is the fact that they've closed the airspace for the first time in history. If it keeps erupting, then the cloud could become a threat again and there will be further closures in future. Right now though we should be on track for flights to take off on Saturday morning in England, but perhaps this evening in Scotland and Northern Ireland. And let's not mention what a disaster the eruption of Katla would be. Right now it's chaos in terms of air travel, but Katla could impact the climate as a whole, produce deadly smog and ash falls across Europe at least, and cause food shortages and water poisoning.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MushroomWig

what if 2012 happened 200 years ago and we just dont know itXorital

If that's true then Yellowstone would of also erupted, and that hasn't happened for 640,000 years. It's way overdue for an eruption. Besides, the Mayans didn't predict anything 200 years ago, their prediction is for December 2012.

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xorital

[QUOTE="Xorital"]

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]I'm not worried about any apocalyptic happenings. Why, you may wonder? Everyone knows that the sure sign of the apocalypse is zombies. Until they strike we're fine.spazzx625

Well, I have been craving brains lately...That would explain it...

Yay for brain food.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"] Haha, I wondered how long it would be before somebody mentained 2012. This happened 200 years ago so it's not completely abnormal, you only need to worry if Yellowstone erupts.Xorital

It would be crazy if Yellowstone erupted, it would effect 9/10 of the worlds population apparently and it would basically destroy the United States.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MushroomWig
[QUOTE="cjek"]It's very strange, there have been no planes in the sky since Thursday morning.. quite an eerie sight when you look up. The cloud itself isn't visible, but some ash has fallen to ground further north in Scotland for example. The disruption to air travel is absolutely incredible.. not a single flight for over 24 hours in the whole of the UK is unprecedented, as is the fact that they've closed the airspace for the first time in history. If it keeps erupting, then the cloud could become a threat again and there will be further closures in future. Right now though we should be on track for flights to take off on Saturday morning in England, but perhaps this evening in Scotland and Northern Ireland. And let's not mention what a disaster the eruption of Katla would be. Right now it's chaos in terms of air travel, but Katla could impact the climate as a whole, produce deadly smog and ash falls across Europe at least, and cause food shortages and water poisoning.

I just hope things don't get any worse because otherwise my Sister won't be able to get back from America!
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xorital

[QUOTE="Xorital"]what if 2012 happened 200 years ago and we just dont know itMushroomWig

If that's true then Yellowstone would of also erupted, and that hasn't happened for 640,000 years. It's way overdue for an eruption. Besides, the Mayans didn't predict anything 200 years ago, their prediction is for December 2012.

What if the prediction of 2012 was 200 years ago and it is actualy 2210 right now? What if its all a conspiracy what if the human race nearly died 200 years ago but the goverment created a virtual world for us humans to live in, we live in a world that died hundreds of years ago, we dont really exist and everything is a lie....

Or that could be the imaginary acid I just decided not to take.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]

[QUOTE="Xorital"]what if 2012 happened 200 years ago and we just dont know itXorital

What if the prediction of 2012 was 200 years ago and it is actualy 2210 right now? What if its all a conspiracy what if the human race nearly died 200 years ago but the goverment created a virtual world for us humans to live in, we live in a world that died hundreds of years ago, we dont really exist and everything is a lie....

That's a horrible and scary thought. xD
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Atmanix

[QUOTE="Xorital"]

[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

MushroomWig

It would be crazy if Yellowstone erupted, it would effect 9/10 of the worlds population apparently and it would basically destroy the United States.

The simulation they ran of previous Yellowstone eruptions based on where ash fell shows that 90% of the US would be covered in it if I remember right.

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xorital

[QUOTE="Xorital"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]

MushroomWig

That's a horrible and scary thought. xD

Indeed I have an odd imagination xD

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MushroomWig

Atmanix

The simulation they ran of previous Yellowstone eruptions based on where ash fell shows that 90% of the US would be covered in it if I remember right.

The scary thing is it's just a matter of when it erupts, not if.
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xorital

[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"] It would be crazy if Yellowstone erupted, it would effect 9/10 of the worlds population apparently and it would basically destroy the United States.MushroomWig

So its actualy going to someday?

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="Atmanix"]

Xorital

Sure, it's been 640,000 since the last eruption, we're way overdue for another. Even worse is that we're long overdue for a comet/Astroid impact as well.
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Atmanix

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="Atmanix"]

Xorital

Oh yeah, for sure. They're able to track several eruptions from Yellowstone already, it's just a matter of time. In the video I was watching they were doing crazy tests that basically showed the land there is rising up a few inches each year as the magma chamber below fills. The earthquakes underground have also picked up in frequency.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Oh God, don't tell me volcano eruptions are now the new earthquakes. :lol:

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xorital

Alright so...florida...i'm gonna you know run

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MushroomWig

Pirate700
Not really, Volcano eruptions are insanely rare. :P Earthquakes are common.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

MushroomWig

No they aren't extremely rare. They happen all the time and if you consider underwater volcano, happen all the time.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
What if there is a large enough volcano eruption that sends so much ash into the atmosphere it blocks the sun for like 1-2 years do you think us humans will survive?
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

No they aren't extremely rare. They happen all the time and if you consider underwater volcano, happen all the time.

There are only about 50-60 volcanoes eruptions per year, compared to thousands and thousands of Earthquakes per year.
Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xorital

What if there is a large enough volcano eruption that sends so much ash into the atmosphere it blocks the sun for like 1-2 years do you think us humans will survive? conistant

if the citizens of san fransisco and washington state survive then so can the rest of us.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"] Not really, Volcano eruptions are insanely rare. :P Earthquakes are common.MushroomWig

There are only about 50-60 volcanoes eruptions per year, compared to thousands and thousands of Earthquakes per year.

50-60 a year and we've now hoad how many that we've heard about? One? This isn't a big deal.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts

[QUOTE="conistant"]What if there is a large enough volcano eruption that sends so much ash into the atmosphere it blocks the sun for like 1-2 years do you think us humans will survive? Xorital

if the citizens of san fransisco and washington state survive then so can the rest of us.

Lets hope so.Hope we don't get washed away by a tidal wave like in 2012.
HeavenIceDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HeavenIceDay
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts

The planes here aren't allowed to fly either. I live in northern Germany and the sky looks a tiny bit different then usual

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MushroomWig
[QUOTE="Xorital"]

[QUOTE="conistant"]What if there is a large enough volcano eruption that sends so much ash into the atmosphere it blocks the sun for like 1-2 years do you think us humans will survive? conistant

Lets hope so.Hope we don't get washed away by a tidal wave like in 2012.

Let's hope nothing happens like it did in the movie 2012. xD
ex-mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 ex-mortis
Member since 2009 • 1599 Posts

I can't believe the UK is actually mad at us because of this. Someone even made a joke announcement on the radio saying that it's all our fault and that we made the eruptions happen using soap and that if the UK don't drop this ridiculous IceSave thing then we permanently disable their flight abilities. I lol'd at it, but it's sort of true because an an eruption under one of our glaciers is not exactly influenced by us.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I'm not worried about any apocalyptic happenings. Why, you may wonder? Everyone knows that the sure sign of the apocalypse is zombies. Until they strike we're fine.spazzx625
You know why I'm not worried? Because since man first invented religion people have been claiming that gods will punish mankind, that the end is nigh, etc etc. A comet might smash down and obliterate us, but the hand of god ending the world? I'm more concerned by being crushed by a herd of stampeding donkeys.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pirate700

I can't believe the UK is actually mad at us because of this. Someone even made a joke announcement on the radio saying that it's all our fault and that we made the eruptions happen using soap and that if the UK don't drop this ridiculous IceSave thing then we permanently disable their flight abilities. I lol'd at it, but it's sort of true because an an eruption under one of our glaciers is not exactly influenced by us.

ex-mortis

Well the US has the Earthquake-Ray so it wouldn't surprise me if Iceland had the the volcano switch.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="ex-mortis"]

Pirate700

Well the US has the Earthquake-Ray so it wouldn't surprise me if Iceland had the the volcano switch.

You mean HAARP. :P
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MushroomWig

The planes here aren't allowed to fly either. I live in northern Germany and the sky looks a tiny bit different then usual

HeavenIceDay
You know why, right? No chemtrails.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

Atmanix

I was scared crapless when I heard we were overdue for one. I also believe that the last time a super-volcano like Yellowstone erupted, there were only 10,000 reproducing humans left.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"] Haha, I wondered how long it would be before somebody mentained 2012. This happened 200 years ago so it's not completely abnormal, you only need to worry if Yellowstone erupts.l4dak47

I was scared crapless when I heard we were overdue for one. I also believe that the last time a super-volcano like Yellowstone erupted, there were only 10,000 reproducing humans left.

The thing is, we're overdue by about 40,000 years. =/ We're also overdue for a comet/Astroid impact too. :(
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"] Haha, I wondered how long it would be before somebody mentained 2012. This happened 200 years ago so it's not completely abnormal, you only need to worry if Yellowstone erupts.l4dak47

The last supervolcano eruption was in 1815.

I highly doubt there were only ten thousand people in 1815.

The really big eruptions, the ones that cause the most damage, haven't happened for 27,000 years. Back when there weren't very many humans around anyway.

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

yes, things will get worse. Soon, a gigantic volcano will engulf the western half of the USA and then the global economy will collapse sending us all into anarchy and chaos.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]

[QUOTE="Atmanix"]

Theokhoth

The really big eruptions, the ones that cause the most damage, haven't happened for 27,000 years. Back when there weren't very many humans around anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/1999/supervolcanoes.shtml This says that the last Supervolcano erupted 74,000 years ago. It might be wrong since it hasn't been updated in a while, do you have a link that says anything about an 1815 eruption?

EDIT: neverind, I found it. You were right. :)

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 l4dak47

I was talking about this.

Ambrose has said early humans were perhaps pushed to the edge of extinction after the Toba eruption -- around the same time folks got serious about art and tool making. Perhaps only a few thousand survived. Humans today would all be descended from these few, and in terms of the genetic code, not a whole lot would change in 74,000 years

http://www.livescience.com/environment/050308_super_volcano.html

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I got a good laugh out of some apocalyptic talkshows this afternoon. They managed to scare my grandma with their acid rain and toxic clouds bull****:lol:

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Ambrose has said early humans were perhaps pushed to the edge of extinction after the Toba eruption -- around the same time folks got serious about art and tool making. Perhaps only a few thousand survived. Humans today would all be descended from these few, and in terms of the genetic code, not a whole lot would change in 74,000 years

l4dak47

Toba wasn't the last supereruption, and there weren't very many people around 74,000 years ago anyway, so of course only a few thousand or so would be left.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts

ex-mortis
Nobody here is actually blaming Iceland for the volcano. I've heard lots of jokes, but nobody honestly thinks Iceland are to blame. That's just ridiculous.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]

Theokhoth

Toba wasn't the last supereruption, and there weren't very many people around 74,000 years ago anyway, so of course only a few thousand or so would be left.

I meant the Toba eruption anyway. While there may have been little people left back then, just imagine what would happen to a world of 6.5 billion and one that also relies heavily on technology. It would not be good although I was wrong about the last eruption, thanks for clearing that up for me.

kelinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kelinn
Member since 2004 • 1081 Posts
Well, at least this is the official story: "Britain: WTF Iceland?!? Why did you send us volcanic ash ? Our airspace has shut down. Iceland: What ? It's what you asked for isn't it ? Britain: NO! Cash! Cash you dyslexic **** CASH! Iceland: woooops... To the British and Dutch Governments: There is no C in the Icelandic alphabet, so when you ask for Cash, all you get is Ash..."