I Think The Book's Better Than The Movie...

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

The same goes for books. The difference is books can be as long as the author wants. Movies can't.

Justforvisit

Really? Someone bring this news to Peter Jackson :P

Somebody already did and he agreed, by leaving out characters and side stories ;)

He left out characters that he didn't think were relevant to his variation of the plot more so than cut them out due to time constraints. You watch the movie and realise that there's no Tom Bombadil in it, and by the time you're finished with the movie, you realize he was completely unneeded.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
It's usually the case. However, my biggest complaint is when something really cool happens in a book but gets deleted in a movie.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Sometimes the book may really be better, but I think most of the time, it's just the hipster thing to say. And people want you to know they're readers.

Pirate700

True unless they significantly change certain aspects of the book. For example, I Am Legend.

Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Man, how many times have you heard this? I'm not much of a reader myself, but literally every single person who's ever read and watched the movie and book to something will always say the book's better. While maybe the book is better sometimes, surely, I've never heard anyone say they preferred the movie in these scenarios.

Is this just hipsters being hip, or are books really that good? If so, why do movies even exist then?

sune_Gem

Books require a larger devotion of time and patience yet provide better descriptions then their movie counterparts. I find a lot of books turned movies lose a bit of the magic in being in your head- all the characters are the way you pictured them, their voices are the way you want and their thoughts are sometimes open for you to hear. With movies you are often limited in perspective and length, two hours or so to fit in a 600 page story? That is quite the feat, but doesn't come without losing certain aspects for better or worse.

As a personal example I enjoyed reading the book Battle Royale a lot, and while I enjoyed the movie I felt that those who only saw the movie missed out on some of the character depth and attachment that was in both the Book and Manga versions.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Well, books allow you to form and create the universe of the book as you imagine it, while a movie gives them a set form not everybody might like.

Aljosa23

Basically this.

yes

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#56 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
For Harry Potter, it couldn't be truer. But that's the only example i can think of.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 AFBrat77

[QUOTE="DharmaMember77"]

The film version of The Godfather is better than the book.

Aljosa23

naw man. the film has no mention of sonny's big dick

actually it does....watch closely when the girls are talking and laughing at the wedding

but its a very brief reference

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts

[QUOTE="0Hamburgher"]

Hey, psh....same goes for the books though, nobody writes them out of pure kindheartness :P

Justforvisit

Sorry, meant to say to make more $$$ off the book. Better :)
[QUOTE="0Hamburgher"]Most of the time the movies are just made to sell, and I usually like the books better. I haven't read the fight club book, but I can't imagine that being better than the movie, or at least it would be very different.dave123321
It was pretty faithful to the book save for the very last scene. Which was significantly better then the books ending.

It probably won't feel the same, watching fight club vs reading about it.

edit: damn the quote got messed up. Too lazy to fix tho

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Sometimes the book may really be better, but I think most of the time, it's just the hipster thing to say. And people want you to know they're readers.

dave123321

I just have to shake my head at this stuff

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Man, how many times have you heard this? I'm not much of a reader myself, but literally every single person who's ever read and watched the movie and book to something will always say the book's better. While maybe the book is better sometimes, surely, I've never heard anyone say they preferred the movie in these scenarios.

Is this just hipsters being hip, or are books really that good? If so, why do movies even exist then?

sune_Gem

it does not happen 100% of the time because i have seen movies better than the book but it is super rare.

my personal observation is that the world and the characters in the book are  more fleshed out and richer than the movies can ever make them.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Most of the time the book is better.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Usually when a film has been made from a book there is no way you can possibly include all the various details in the book. A lot of people say that 'the book's better than the film' because they usually mean there's far more bulk and complexity to the original storyline. 

However, like a play, a succint and well-written film is a beautiful thing. They are two different kinds of artforms.

DharmaMember77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DharmaMember77
Member since 2010 • 2377 Posts

Usually when a film has been made from a book there is no way you can possibly include all the various details in the book. A lot of people say that 'the book's better than the film' because they usually mean there's far more bulk and complexity to the original storyline. 

However, like a play, a succint and well-written film is a beautiful thing. They are two different kinds of artforms.

MissLibrarian

Long time no see.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44641 Posts
Sometimes it's a pretentious thing to say, but sometimes it's true. I can concede though that sometimes the movies are better than the books, it happens a lot. Sometimes the books are better. Sometimes the movies do such an excellent job that they're equally as great as the book. It's not often though I'll read a book before a movie comes out, most times I usually read a book after watching a movie. One book I did read before the movie came out was A Scanner Darkly, because I was a big Philip K Dick whore back in high school. And I thought it was one of the best adaptations I'd ever seen, captured the book so well. Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest was one I read after seeing the movie, and I love it way more than I did the movie. A book like A Clockwork Orange was about on par with the movie, did an excellent job capturing the voice and style of the narration. A movie like Fight Club also did an excellent job capturing the voice of the narrator, had that same cynical view about everything, really captured the mood of the story, yet I felt the movie was an improvement on the books in several key areas. Blade Runner was a movie I liked better than the book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), though after reading that I did get hooked on other books by the same author. Anyhow, it's probably worth reading a good book. If it ever gets made into a movie you have things to think about like "what would be the best way to adapt this to 1.5-2 hours?". Then you can see what maybe they do wrong, or what they did to make things better for instance. Plus books are fun to read, you shouldn't give up on them even though movies are so much easier to watch.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I tend to treat the two as separate entities as others have said
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Yeah, but sometimes, lots of times, I don't wanna read.. most of movies aren't that good anyway.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Music is the great equalizer for me... A book turned movie can stand about the source material if the musical score is amazing... However this assumes the story isn't ruined in the process... So far I'm enjoying the hobbit more as a movie...
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Music is the great equalizer for me... A book turned movie can stand about the source material if the musical score is amazing... However this assumes the story isn't ruined in the process... So far I'm enjoying the hobbit more as a movie...jeremiah06

One thing I can give the thumbs up for on that film is defiently the soundtrack.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

There are definitely instances where the books are better than the movies. The two most obvious franchises for me in which this is the case are Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. 

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Books aren't fettered by the same restrictions as movies.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#71 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Well sometimes it is. I mean, sometimes a movie may cut out major plot points that were integral to the novel and make the movie's story fall short of it's novel counterpart and in that case then the book is WAY better than the movie. Maybe the novel has things that the person liked that the movie cuts out, maybe the person didn't like the transistion from paper back to the silver screen, maybe he got a better feel for the world and narrative out of the novel than the movie could ever hope to achieve.

There's a lot of reasons why a novel is better than the movie. Does that mean the movie is bad? No but in comparison to what it's trying to create it usually falls rather short.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

The Black Cauldron...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

There are definitely instances where the books are better than the movies. The two most obvious franchises for me in which this is the case are Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. 

Vari3ty

lebronrun_medium.gif

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
While books are great outlets for human imagination to envision imagery, ideas, and events, movies can show these things in more tangible forms. Science fiction and fantasy movie in particular excel at showing things beyond the norm.
Avatar image for longtimelurker0
longtimelurker0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 longtimelurker0
Member since 2013 • 190 Posts
seriously, the books really are always better. I never came across a movie that was better then the book. I guess thats because if the book was'nt any good they would not make a movie out of it. But I would have to say lord of the rings movies is equal with the books. I have never seen anyone pull the soul out of a book and stick it in a movie so well. Basically though, the biggest problem with movies is the lack of character development.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#76 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

It depends on whether or not you read the book first. When you create the universe in your head, seeing the movie just completely shits on your source material. If you see the movie first, that can't happen but there's still so much more in the book most of the time that you'll still find it better.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If the original work was a book (eg LotR), then I prefer the way the author intended it. For me, the original author always take precedence. Movie versions tend to be constrained or butchered and should never be considered in any serious discussion of Tolkien's work.

Now, if the movie started out as the original which was followed by printed work such as books and magazines, then I prefer the movie. Star Wars is a good example. The movies came first followed by printed work such as sourcebooks (for board RPGs) which expanded on the Star Wars universe originally shown by the movies.

For example, I have a bunch of Star Wars sourcebooks like these. But, the original movies still remain my favorites:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsNSPUVuD0lmkFWWHQAPZimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7xt5_eLXVxb0tjeIhIEJ

LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
The book is better because the author can go crazy with details and in a movie they have to condense things to fit it into a reasonable time frame for a movie.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Books are better. They inform, add more detail and its my story.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

well there's pretty much always more details and character development in the book because the movie is limited by time

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AFBrat77

Personally I thought the movie "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" (actually both movie versions) was as good as the book.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#82 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Very rarely does a movie surpass the book it's based off. Let me give an example.

The movie IT was a mde for TV movie... It sucked.  The characters were poorly developed, we didn't learn anything about the town, Pennywise was poorly explained etc.

The book is easily one of the all time greats.  We get to know all the characters intamately, we get to know the town like it was our own, and we get to learn about Pennywise's origins very well.

Books allow for much more creativity/ great writing.  The Shining was a good movie, but it fell short of the book because it didn't capture the feeling of a slow descent into madness... It was very sudden in the movie, whereas in the book we really got inside Jack's head and saw his slow transformation.  Not only that but he was a far more well developed character.

I have seen movies where they are better than the books though.

fsalander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 fsalander
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i read spiderman book, and watch the movie - i find the book was much better. i read life of pi, and watch the movie, i find the movie was more interesting than the book, skipped many details yet the editing was gorgeous
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Yeah....couldn't read Lord of the Rings.Wilfred_Owen

couldn't watch it either, guess P. Jackson did a good job

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

How old are you to think that the movie adaption is better than the book?

Serious question. Books allow you much more freedom when it comes to writing. Adaptations suffer from censorship (occasionally) , "this needs to be changed to rake in cash", and overall lower the quality so that the brainless sheep can understand what is going on.

Pick up a book and read sometime.

happerlychen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 happerlychen
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I love reading , I really like to see movie