I need work advice...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts

I am currently in a steep money situation looking for a part-time to manage my small expenses. I am currently a 20 year old university student. When I was 16 I started off at Ontario minimum wage (around $10/hour) at a grocery store and until last year I was at $12.50. I quit that job (in June because of location) and worked another summer job at the Toronto Exhibition (Kids Fair) at 11.40/hour. It is almost impossible to get a raise now a days working an entry level position and my question is this: Should I go back to working at a horrible store (Wal-Mart/Grocery Store) at minimum wage($10.25) with all this experience or should I try to do some a little better (Apple Store/Foot Locker/Best Buy) that'll pay about $12/hour? I live walking distance to stores that'll pay me minimum wage and it'll cost me about $20 a week to travel to the "better" stores. I just feel like working at minimum wage at 20 years old is embarrassing, are any of you doing it?

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Working at minimum wage in college is not an embarrassment, it is reality. Take the convenient job.
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

A job is a job when you're a student. Even as an "adult", I'd still be happy to earn a crust. At your age, I'd stick to the job unless it becomes really intolerable.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I am currently in a steep money situation looking for a part-time to manage my small expenses. I am currently a 20 year old university student. When I was 16 I started off at Ontario minimum wage (around $10/hour) at a grocery store and until last year I was at $12.50. I quit that job (in June because of location) and worked another summer job at the Toronto Exhibition (Kids Fair) at 11.40/hour. It is almost impossible to get a raise now a days working an entry level position and my question is this: Should I go back to working at a horrible store (Wal-Mart/Grocery Store) at minimum wage($10.25) with all this experience or should I try to do some a little better (Apple Store/Foot Locker/Best Buy) that'll pay about $12/hour? I live walking distance to stores that'll pay me minimum wage and it'll cost me about $20 a week to travel to the "better" stores. I just feel like working at minimum wage at 20 years old is embarrassing, are any of you doing it?

kyleali11

You're a 20 year old university student. Minimum wage is normal. And holy crap that's a high minimum wage. Lucky bastard.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

I was gonna say. $10 is ~£6.50 which is more than the minimum wage for an office job in England. If I could earn that money stacking shelves, I'd be happy (for now).

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yip going to college you should take any job as it is the Study that is the most important. The job is just a filler till you get your qualification to do what you want.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

10.25 an hour MINIMUM wage? Holy crap!

I remember I made that much after two raises in my old state.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I know 40-65 year olds making 8.50 an hour.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

take the less demanding job. You are a student, your priority should be your education, followed by your social life and work.