I made a timeline to when music died.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainBeer
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

You could date grunge back to 1984, when Green River crystalized the scene, but the Melvins formed in 1983. The Melvins never considered themselves grunge, but hard rock like Motorhead. Grunge died in 1996 after Failure's "Fantastic Planet", that was basically the last remenants of it. It wasn't until Radiohead's "OK Computer" came out that things really started to change & then when My Own Summer by Deftones came out, Nu-Metal basically took over the world from 1997-on.

So what happened was, Grunge was pop in the early 90's, then smashing pumpkins and radiohead were like mid-90's & they were basically the last great bands before 1997's downfall.

1997 from all of my research and timeline is when music reached it's full peak with OK Computer and started to spiral waaaaaay down. 1998 is when the Boy Bands, Britney Spears and Nickelback stuff started to form, with Days of the New & Deftones as the leaders. Then Korn & Limp Bizkit nailed the coffin.

Thoughts?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
You're just older, so you dont accept the music of today. This is your personal opinion of when the music you liked died. Other people like different music, and for them they might think the new age of music is just beginning. ps. Adding "Thoughts?" to a post that belongs in a blog, doesn't make it discussion worthy.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
That focused on a single genre, not really the death of music
CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CaptainBeer

You're just older, so you dont accept the music of today. This is your personal opinion of when the music you liked died. Other people like different music, and for them they might think the new age of music is just beginning. ps. Adding "Thoughts?" to a post that belongs in a blog, doesn't make it discussion worthy.Nibroc420

music died in 1997, I did a detailed analysis. Radiohead's "OK Computer" to the Deftones single "My Own Summer" is the main key timeline to when music changed forever.

After 1997, it was Britney Spears, Boy Bands, Nu-Metal & Crap.

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

I give you a 6/10... good effort.

Music is great now imo. All depends on what you're choosing to listen to...

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]You're just older, so you dont accept the music of today. This is your personal opinion of when the music you liked died. Other people like different music, and for them they might think the new age of music is just beginning. ps. Adding "Thoughts?" to a post that belongs in a blog, doesn't make it discussion worthy.CaptainBeer

music died in 1997, I did a detailed analysis. Radiohead's "OK Computer" to the Deftones single "My Own Summer" is the main key timeline to when music changed forever.

After 1997, it was Britney Spears, Boy Bands, Nu-Metal & Crap.

Music is any noise that anyone finds entertaining. You're saying music died because X,Y,Z bands were released, and you didn't enjoy them. Other people clearly enjoyed them, otherwise the wouldn't be considered "popular", as such, music isn't dying, you're simply unable to keep up with the progression within the genres.
CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CaptainBeer

Refused split in 1998, which is vital to my timeline as well. That and Mighty Mighty Bosstones last hit single "Impression That I get" was in 1997, which kills Punk & Ska near the same time. Then Korn's hit "Freak On Leash" takes everything by storm in 1998.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nibroc420

this kills Punk & Ska forever.

CaptainBeer

How can they be dead, if the genre's still exist?

Keep up with the times.

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CaptainBeer

That's the thing, it's common knowledge that Ska died in 1997 with this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIGMUAMevH0

and Punk Rock died in 1998 with this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrKOAS4MxU&feature=related

Days of the New, Deftones, Korn, Limp Bizkit & a bunch of other ones, Filter, LP, SOAD & others followed suit from 1997-2001.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

You could date grunge back to 1984, when Green River crystalized the scene, but the Melvins formed in 1983. The Melvins never considered themselves grunge, but hard rock like Motorhead. Grunge died in 1996 after Failure's "Fantastic Planet", that was basically the last remenants of it. It wasn't until Radiohead's "OK Computer" came out that things really started to change & then when My Own Summer by Deftones came out, Nu-Metal basically took over the world from 1997-on.

So what happened was, Grunge was pop in the early 90's, then smashing pumpkins and radiohead were like mid-90's & they were basically the last great bands before 1997's downfall.

1997 from all of my research and timeline is when music reached it's full peak with OK Computer and started to spiral waaaaaay down. 1998 is when the Boy Bands, Britney Spears and Nickelback stuff started to form, with Days of the New & Deftones as the leaders. Then Korn & Limp Bizkit nailed the coffin.

Thoughts?

CaptainBeer

I think your view is so narrow that it would be invisible if turned sideways.

Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

I'm pleased you mentioned Deftones, but music didn't die in 1997...

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CaptainBeer

Conno08

It did for most genres, but for Punk Rock fans; 1998 was the last.

Looking at my timeline, music died in 1997 right after "Ok Computer"

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Oh wow, I wasn't aware that grunge, punk, and ska were the only genres of music that existed. Seriously though, if you think good music hasn't existed since the 90s you need to broaden your horizons. It's also funny that while people will bitterly complain about modern music in the current decade, the second that decade becomes retro (ie 20 years have elapsed from its start) suddenly everyone is like "dude, the (insert retro decade here) had the best music ever!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-590595a6292ce

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

CaptainBeer

Looking at my timeline, music died in 1997 AFTER "Ok Computer"

No...it didn't, I assume the you do not like todays mainstream music, but you can still find good music today, you just have to know where to look.

OG1-KENOBI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OG1-KENOBI
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts
Rap died when Tupac was killed. Ever since then its been ring tone wannabe's that overtook what was a great music genre in the 80's and 90's. Props to the beasties for still going.
CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CaptainBeer

[QUOTE="CaptainBeer"]

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

Conno08

No...it didn't, I assume the you do not like todays mainstream music, but you can still find good music today, you just have to know where to look.

Review the timeline, Radiohead's "OK Computer" is in fact the last great album in the history of music, which is 1997. After that music dies, thanks to the Boy Bands, Britney Spears, & the Nu-Metal craze from 1998-2001, then the Emo explosion from 2002-2006.

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bayloski
Member since 2010 • 2707 Posts

Rap died when Tupac was killed. Ever since then its been ring tone wannabe's that overtook what was a great music genre in the 80's and 90's. Props to the beasties for still going.OG1-KENOBI

Rap didn't die it evolved, like all other music.

Music actually improved after April 5th 1994 :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-590595a6292ce

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

[QUOTE="CaptainBeer"]

CaptainBeer

Review the timeline, Radiohead's "OK Computer" is in fact the last great album in the history of music, which is 1997. After that music dies, thanks to the Boy Bands, Britney Spears, & the Nu-Metal craze from 1998-2001, then the Emo explosion from 2002-2006.

I have, but you'r shooting down my idea as if its ludicrous without taking it into consideration...its like saying literature would die if Stephen King stopped writing, it makes no sense.

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CaptainBeer

[QUOTE="CaptainBeer"]

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

Conno08

I have, but you'r shooting down my idea as if its ludicrous without taking it into consideration...its like saying literature would die if Stephen King stopped writing, it makes no sense.

I'm just stating what I conclude from the timeline. There might be specific underground stuff in 2011, but this is only a rebirth for you, not for music itself. The underground stuff you might find in 2011 has not evolved from the last remenants of the mid-90's.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

[QUOTE="CaptainBeer"]

CaptainBeer

Sounds to me like you're just complaining about "people stopped liking what I like, and started liking what I don't like". I mean, I could just as easily argued that music died when classical music stopped being the only genre on Earth, or when old school 50s rock died.

The truth is that there has still been plenty of great music coming out since the 90s. You just need to stop treating the radio as a comprehensive library of all the music that is currently made today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-590595a6292ce

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

[QUOTE="CaptainBeer"]

CaptainBeer

I'm just stating what I conclude from my timeline. There might be specific underground stuff in 2011, but this is only a rebirth for you, not for music itself. The underground stuff you might find in 2011has not evolvedfrom the last remenants of the mid-90's.

You'r timeline is subjective...You liked music in the mid-90's, so if it had not evolved and is still made in the underground music scene today, what is the problem?

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CaptainBeer

Another plot on my timeline is Rap. The Resurrection by Geto Boyz, I plot that as the last great rap album. This was 1996, one year before music died.

Tupac also died in 1996, further proving my point. The one who picked up the slack was Puff Daddy in 1997, and he ruined everything.

OG1-KENOBI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OG1-KENOBI
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts

[QUOTE="OG1-KENOBI"]Rap died when Tupac was killed. Ever since then its been ring tone wannabe's that overtook what was a great music genre in the 80's and 90's. Props to the beasties for still going.bayloski

mate do yourself a favour and go look up some of the great rappers/groups Guru (gangstarr) Spice 1 Cypress Hill Eric B & Rakim Naughty by Nature Wu Tang Clan (and all the single artists albums RZA, ODB etc) Scarface (Ghetto boys) NWA Method Man Red Man Mob Deep Paris Big pun Grave diggaz Ice T (prior to him selling out law & Order style) Ice Cube Tribe called Quest. The list would go on and Im sure I have missed out some classics but trust me do your ears a favour and check em out. Will go and check through Cd collection now and crank some tunes.. :)
bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bayloski

[QUOTE="bayloski"]

[QUOTE="OG1-KENOBI"]Rap died when Tupac was killed. Ever since then its been ring tone wannabe's that overtook what was a great music genre in the 80's and 90's. Props to the beasties for still going.OG1-KENOBI

mate do yourself a favour and go look up some of the great rappers/groups Guru Spice 1 Cypress Hill Eric B & Rakim Naughty by Nature Wu Tang Clan (and all the single artists albums RZA, ODB etc) Scarface (Ghetto boys) NWA Method Man Red Man Mob Deep Paris The list would go on and Im sure I have missed out some classics but trust me do your ears a favour and check em out. Will go and check through Cd collection now and crank some tunes.. :)

Do yourself a favour and don't assume I'm not educated in old school Rap. Going to see the Wu in Perth Aug 6th cant ****** wait. I do appreciate old-school and am not narrow minded enough to not appreciate the newer stuff.Saw you in the Aus forums we have a hip-hop thread over there ;)

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CaptainBeer

[QUOTE="CaptainBeer"]

[QUOTE="Conno08"]

Conno08

I'm just stating what I conclude from my timeline. There might be specific underground stuff in 2011, but this is only a rebirth for you, not for music itself. The underground stuff you might find in 2011has not evolvedfrom the last remenants of the mid-90's.

You'r timeline is subjective...You liked music in the mid-90's, so if it had not evolved and is still made in the underground music scene today, what is the problem?

You really shouldn't have to dig that deep to find good music. What I'm trying to say, is that it shouldn't have to be this way.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Music's dead? Funny that, i've listened to tons today.

Perhaps music's just changed over the years?

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

it's funny how different opinions are,for to me,grunge itself was the poison the music farm was once irrigated with.

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CaptainBeer

it's funny how different opinions are,for to me,grunge itself was the poison the music farm was once irrigated with.

VaguelyTagged

Grunge killed Glam, and you be thankful for that.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Oh look, this thread again.

No it isn't. I can't give you an answer any more complex than that.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tenaka2

You obviously forgot Lady Gaga, how can music be considered dead with artists such as her currently producing music?

CaptainBeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CaptainBeer

You obviously forgot Lady Gaga, how can music be considered dead with artists such as her currently producing music?

tenaka2

people like Lady Gaga aren't artists, they're performers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-590595a6292ce

Oh look, this thread again.

No it isn't. I can't give you an answer any more complex than that.

Overlord93

Never miss a chance to insert a pony into your post do you Overlord :P

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 elpooz

[QUOTE="bayloski"]

[QUOTE="OG1-KENOBI"]Rap died when Tupac was killed. Ever since then its been ring tone wannabe's that overtook what was a great music genre in the 80's and 90's. Props to the beasties for still going.OG1-KENOBI

mate do yourself a favour and go look up some of the great rappers/groups Guru (gangstarr) Spice 1 Cypress Hill Eric B & Rakim Naughty by Nature Wu Tang Clan (and all the single artists albums RZA, ODB etc) Scarface (Ghetto boys) NWA Method Man Red Man Mob Deep Paris Big pun Grave diggaz Ice T (prior to him selling out law & Order style) Ice Cube Tribe called Quest. The list would go on and Im sure I have missed out some classics but trust me do your ears a favour and check em out. Will go and check through Cd collection now and crank some tunes.. :)

SMH'ing at both your posts. You must not listen to much Rap if you think it "died" after Tupac went :lol:... Blueprint, Stillmatic, It Was Written, A Piece of Strange, College Dropout, Below the Heavens and all the other fantastic albums from the late 90s and 2000s (thus far) don't exist to you? Some would even say that Rap is better now than it was in the 90s...

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 elpooz

And the Geto Boyz released the last good Rap album ever :|? Really?

Listen to more Rap or just music in general is my advice.....

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
The day the music died - Richie Valenz and the big bopper + Buddy Holly die in a plane crash
DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

You think GRUNGE defined quality music?

And you say OK Computer was the peak of music. When It's one of Radiohead's "Less amazing" albums. They only got BETTER since then!

Far out, you're unreal mate. You speak as if everything made after 1997 is complete garbage. If you want I will compose a long list of things you shouldlook into before making such crappy assumptions

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

CaptainBeer

people like Lady Gaga aren't artists, they're performers.

I was joking.

But what about the likes of Muse?

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Never miss a chance to insert a pony into your post do you Overlord :PConno08
me? ponies? rediculous :P

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bayloski

I do appreciate old-school and am not narrow minded enough to not appreciate the newer stuff.bayloski

@elpooz

Did you miss that part of the conversation?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178863 Posts
Music has not died.
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

Nope, you just have to look hard enough.

MasonLovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MasonLovak
Member since 2011 • 741 Posts
Music never died man. You just need to look beyond the mainstream crap to find the gold thats being released every day.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

There certainly isn't an abundance of great music out these days but there is some good stuff that comes out once in a while. Same as during your timeline.

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 elpooz

[QUOTE="bayloski"]I do appreciate old-school and am not narrow minded enough to not appreciate the newer stuff.bayloski

@elpooz

Did you miss that part of the conversation?

I wasn't referring to you, but the other guy.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

It's been a bit more than 40 years since metal came about......no signs of slowing down.

LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
0/10. Music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

;dr

was it when gaga picked up a mic? or when rappers in the early 2000s started coming about? Maybe when rock went emo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Looking at my timeline, music died in 1997 right after "Ok Computer"CaptainBeer
That's ridiculous. So many great albums have been released since 1997...