I have a question about vegetarians.

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Why is it that some vegetarians are against eating meat because certain animals were slaughtered for it? Around 10,000 years ago, humans would have to hunt down other animals for survival. Men would do the hunting while women would usually gather plants for consuming. It was all about survival back then. Humans are naturally omnivores and we eat plants as well as other animals. It doesn't make sense to be against eating other animals as we are omnivores. Plants are living organisms, as well. Vegetables are plants. When a vegetarian eats a vegetable, they're eating a living thing. So it's acceptable to eat plants but not other animals? It doesn't make sense.

MgMbr549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MgMbr549
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

my friend is a vegetarian and she just believes that cows are cute and doesn't like the way they're killed. its just a choice and its nothing i can't change her mind. plus then was then now is now. we're an organized society not a nomadic tribes people. it might not be the answer your looking for but i am pro meat.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I'm more repulsed by the treatment of animals in many situations than anything else. If it were like the Native Americans, where they thanked and respected the animals that they ate, that'd be one thing, but... it's not. :P

_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

It's not necessary for our survivalto eat meat, and though it might be natural (and, by the way, this is not synonymous with moral) to eat meat, it is certainly unnatural (but again this does not mean immoral) to farm animals the way we do. Plus it is inefficient in terms of resources to eat meat, as heterotrophic nutrition is only 10% efficient.

I'm playing devil's advocate, by the way. I love meat.

clarinetguy097

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clarinetguy097
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
Did you know that Weird Al Yankovic is a vegetarian???
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I'm more repulsed by the treatment of animals in many situations than anything else. If it were like the Native Americans, where they thanked and respected the animals that they ate, that'd be one thing, but... it's not. :P

GabuEx

Other cultures practiced this as well...not just people indigenous to North America. Prayers made to God by Jews, Christians and Muslims have similar origins of thought...they thanked God for providing the food provided to them, and showed appreciation and respect to that animal for its life.

Modern culture has largely forgotten this, as a lot of people just don't believe in God. Also, most people don't go out and slaughter their own food. The modern grocery store has rendered meat just another commodity, mass-produced for consumption and profit, with little thought to where that food came from.

TheSpinLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheSpinLight
Member since 2008 • 126 Posts

GabuEx

u mean the same native americans who hunted the woolly mammoth to extinction. That is really respectful.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GabuEx

u mean the same native americans who hunted the woolly mammoth to extinction. That is really respectful.

TheSpinLight

Woolly mammoths lived in Europe and Siberia, and were already close to extinction prior to the influence of humans due to the effects of climate change.

Try again. :P

TheSpinLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheSpinLight

It's not necessary for our survivalto eat meat, and though it might be natural (and, by the way, this is not synonymous with moral) to eat meat, it is certainly unnatural (but again this does not mean immoral) to farm animals the way we do. Plus it is inefficient in terms of resources to eat meat, as heterotrophic nutrition is only 10% efficient.

_glatisant_

is it really that unnatural to farm meat if we learnt how to do it cuz i dnt think knowledge is unnatural. Also the 10% efficiency depends on what part of the animal u eatand which animal it is

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts

GabuEx
Depends on the tribe. Some would run a whole herd of buffalo off a cliff just to get the meat from a couple of them. :P
TheSpinLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheSpinLight

[QUOTE="TheSpinLight"]

GabuEx

Woolly mammoths lived in Europe and Siberia, and were already close to extinction prior to the influence of humans due to the effects of climate change.

still doesnt change the fact that the hunting of them sped up the extiction process

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

Why is it that some vegetarians are against eating meat because certain animals were slaughtered for it? Around 10,000 years ago, humans would have to hunt down other animals for survival. Men would do the hunting while women would usually gather plants for consuming. It was all about survival back then. Humans are naturally omnivores and we eat plants as well as other animals. It doesn't make sense to be against eating other animals as we are omnivores. Plants are living organisms, as well. Vegetables are plants. When a vegetarian eats a vegetable, they're eating a living thing. So it's acceptable to eat plants but not other animals? It doesn't make sense.

gamerguru100
We don't live 10,000 years ago.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Most vegetarians see it that in this day and age we can live healthly without eating meat.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

GabuEx
We'll I'm repulsed by the treatment of plants. You shred them, chop them up, deflower them, and violate them.
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Locke562
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Vandalvideo
We'll I'm repulsed by the treatment of plants. You shred them, chop them up, deflower them, and violate them.

:lol: Deflower.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Well there are people who won't eat stuff that hasn't naturally fallen to the ground also i know the part that my uncle is against is the farming he has nothing against sustainable hunting for food.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Most vegetarians see it that in this day and age we can live healthly without eating meat.

RiseAgainst12
Can you? I always thought vegetarians had constant bowel problems due to not having meat in their diet.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

[QUOTE="TheSpinLight"]

GabuEx

Actually i think you'll find that it was down to their use as cavalry in the American Revolution
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"]

clyde46
Can you? I always thought vegetarians had constant bowel problems due to not having meat in their diet.

Thats why you eat Lintels.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"]

clyde46

You can get all of the nutrients in meat from non-meat food. Its generally better for you to not eat some meats.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

Bourbons3

Humans existed 10,000 years ago.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabuEx

[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"]

clyde46

Huh? The main things you need to have healthy bowels are fiber and water, which are certainly not retrieved through meat. In fact, the abundant consumption of red meat has been linked to an increased risk of colon cancer.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"]

Vandalvideo

Thats why you eat Lintels.

Dear god I cant stand those things. They make me want to vomit!
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Locke562
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

gamerguru100

Humans existed 10,000 years ago.

Read it again.
Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
I think people think too much about what they're eating. If everyone was introduced to videos of farmers "torturing" and slaughtering animals, a good majority of us would be vegetarians. Meat is incredibly healthy, without it you need to take vitamins and minerals to make up for the lost nutrients. Man has been killing animals for thousands of years. Why stop now? Because it's cruel?
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

Because we have evolved and we can live fine without eating meat.

Plants are living organisms but they don't scream in pain when we chop them up into pieces to eat.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vandalvideo

Plants are living organisms but they don't scream in pain when we chop them up into pieces to eat.

muffincakes87
How do you know that we just don't hear it?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"]

GabuEx

Huh? The main things you need to have healthy bowels are fiber and water, which are certainly not retrieved through meat. In fact, the abundant consumption of red meat has been linked to an increased risk of colon cancer.

I guess a mixed diet is the way to go then.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clyde46
[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

Vandalvideo

Didnt Mythbusters do that?
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Locke562
I think people think too much about what they're eating. If everyone was introduced to videos of farmers "torturing" and slaughtering animals, a good majority of us would be vegetarians. Meat is incredibly healthy, without it you need to take vitamins and minerals to make up for the lost nutrients. Man has been killing animals for thousands of years. Why stop now? Because it's cruel? Frenzyd109
I'm not sure where you get your facts. Meats are full of fat and saturated fat, those contribute to lifestyle diseases like heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol, etc. The consumption of excessive amounts of meat IS bad for you. You can get all the nutrients you get from meat from plant products and it's healthier. Eating meat in moderation can be good, it supplies you with necessary nutrients. The recommened serving size of steak that will supply you with the nutrients you need is the size of a deck of cards.
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

Vandalvideo

The plants are talking...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Locke562

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

muffincakes87

The plants are talking...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That was the worst movie ever it made ME cry. :cry:

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

clyde46

Didnt Mythbusters do that?

That episode of Mythbusters basically only proved what we already knew: that plants respond to stimuli. That doesn't mean they actually feel pain in the same way as we do - given that they have neither any central nervous system nor indeed any brain at all, it would be difficult to make the claim that they do.

-Overlord-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 -Overlord-
Member since 2002 • 14545 Posts

Yea, but were adult humans drinking the lactate of other mammals 10,000 years ago?

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

gamerguru100
That it's natural to eat meat is irrelevant. Just because it's natural for the human body to be eat meat doesn't justify doing so.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

STurn21

Than why don't you just thanking and respecting the animals you eat?

I don't exactly think that that would make their living conditions prior to death any better.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GabuEx

You don't have to go to the store and to buy meat. There are other means of doing so.

STurn21

I'm not strictly a vegetarian; I'm just saying one of the reasons why people are opposed to the thought of eating meat.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Most plants can produce a fruit (or vegetable) that's intended to fall off and/or be eaten, therefore, we aren't harming the plant in most situations.

filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
Vegetables and meat are not exactly the same thing. Yes, they're both living but the concept of one consuming the other is not the same.
12345678ew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 12345678ew
Member since 2008 • 2353 Posts

GabuEx
so.... meat would cost 100 bucks a pound and be sold on gold platters with incense included?

[QUOTE="_glatisant_"]

TheSpinLight

is it really that unnatural to farm meat if we learnt how to do it cuz i dnt think knowledge is unnatural. Also the 10% efficiency depends on what part of the animal u eatand which animal it is

i know, really. it's like endangered species. survival of the fittest ffs. if we become more powerful, and they're our prey, natural selection says they've gotta go. it's the same with vegetarians.... we're more powerful, we win, nature isn't moral. the world isn't moral, one species isn't about to make the world moral, so we should stop trying and continue to advance ourselves....
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GabuEx

so.... meat would cost 100 bucks a pound and be sold on gold platters with incense included?12345678ew

I'm beginning to get the sense that people are wilfully missing my point.

No, all I want is to bring to an end the paradigm of extremely poor living conditions for animals bred for slaughter, such that they are no longer treated purely as objects for human consumption.

LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

plant's don't feel anything and have no senses.

bdever32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 bdever32
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

[QUOTE="12345678ew"]so.... meat would cost 100 bucks a pound and be sold on gold platters with incense included?GabuEx

I'm beginning to get the sense that people are wilfully missing my point.

No, all I want is to bring to an end the paradigm of extremely poor living conditions for animals bred for slaughter, such that they are no longer treated purely as objects for human consumption.

Sadly that will never happen as long as they are objects for human consumption. Right now, we can't produce that much meat without putting them in bad living conditions. They will always be treated poorly as long as we continue to eat them. I'm not fundamentally opposed to eating them, I just don't think our planet will be able to support the billions of people who eat meat multiple times every day. I don't think we will have to resources to eat that inefficiently for much longer.

MgMbr549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MgMbr549
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

i like 'em both.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Well when a vegetarian comes and asks me " Do you know what they do to those animals?" I reply "No but whatever they do is delicious"
hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 hobo290
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts

Vegitarians are Noobs, lol

batman0811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 batman0811
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

my boss is actually an organic vegan, and he doesnt eat me for many reasons, 1st off it is not generally good for you, also its not the killing of animals that bug him but that they are feed hormone enhanced food and are tortured which he doesnt agree with. ive heard stories from him where they cut of the beaks off of the chickens and stick them in a farm and cram pack them in. i am actually trying to cut down on meat consumption and eat more fruits, veggies, and breads