How would you qualify the job mods make here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kalossimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 kalossimitar
Member since 2005 • 613 Posts

I ask that because I think its relevant here on gamespot, because mods are more active than on other sites. Also, I may say that I find that their interpretation of rules and terms of agreement can seem biased sometimes.

For example, I find the frontier really thin between trolling and just trying to express your opinion, which one goes in a complete other sense that most people on the board. In that particular case, I find that it goes against the principle of legitimacy of disagreements in democratic societies. Yeah, it may seem far-fetched to some of you, but thats a fact. In democracy (that site has been made in one and its users are from democracies), disagreements are accepted, because it helps us keep an open-mind and get the ideas and values of minorities.

Just an example, you may find it right or not for that to have been moderated, thats not the point, the point is your general opinion on mods' work here.

"wow, this thread is so full of whining sony fanboys, please grow up and stop blocking other people's comments by marking them as bad comments, thats called censor.

Its not because someone has different views than you that you need to just ignore what they say. Doing that is called immaturity. "

I posted that on the $399.99 PS3 news thread, because sony fans were marking comments like (its not that of a good deal, theres no backward compatibility on that version) or (even so, Sony still dont have really good exclusive titles coming out, I prefer to wait until they have some) has bad comments, by giving thumbs down like 20 times to those posts. Literally hiding the opinions they didnt like.

IMO, that doesnt make any sense, that news wasnt exclusive for Sony lovers, we had the right to make an opinion on it. Even more, those who marked those posts as bad comments are generally people who already have a PS3, I could say the same, that they didnt belong on that thread.

Thats why, personnally, I thinkthat the mods' job here is so-so, I was angry when I got one of my topic locked, but it was a fad, I didnt know it was against terms and rules, so on that, they were right, but on that example I gave, I dont think it was trolling, but more giving an opinion going against the majority. Maybe thats the term "whining" that got the mod to moderate it, even so, whining may seems pejorative for certain people, but we have to concede that some time its the only word appropriate to really describe the situation.

Express yourselves, on the case I gave, on your own experiences with mods, even youre experience AS mods, and on their general work.

dragon7x2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dragon7x2k
Member since 2007 • 3695 Posts
Some people get moded by some stupid things so I say so-so, I have not been baned yet
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts
thefact that they dont let you talk about certain so called fads is just stupid so yeh im the one guy
Avatar image for deactivated-614fa247a87ab
deactivated-614fa247a87ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-614fa247a87ab
Member since 2003 • 1858 Posts
They are way more active on GS than on other websites. It's so bad that when I'm typing up an email, I get paranoid and wonder if I'll be modded for it. Then I remember I'm not on GS anymore.
kalossimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kalossimitar

...I have a dream that one day this gamers' nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal and have freedom of speech.

I have a dream that one dayat the gaming events of Gamespot the sons of former moderated users and the sons of mods will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even in the off-topic section, a predilection place of moderating, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of free and justice.

Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
hahahaha! no one gave it an excellent. thats funny. :lol:
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#7 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Mods in certain "impartial" forums are just as big a fanboys as regular posters.

In this forum as well as game and system specific forums they do a good job though.

(hence my vote for So-so)

MOCGK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 MOCGK
Member since 2005 • 415 Posts
I used to be a Mod in the Nintendo Forum and even System Wars. It was often hard for me to determine what to moderate and what to leave alone but I always consulted other mods through instant messages and took more of a team approach.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I'd rate them as petty. People get modded for stupid things that happened months ago.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
inappropriate....no doubt.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
They are doing exactly what they are suppose to be doing. A+.
muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts
tehy do what the TOU tells them too. Some of the better (IMO) mods will let the nonsense rules slip, but at the end of the day you have to complain about the TOU.. sure If I knew the TOU was stupid in parts I would quit being a mod... but meh
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
It's tough for me to actually qualify the mods on this forum since nobody really knows who mods them. Sometimes it seems the admins and GS people are screwing things up alot more than the mods are. SW was hilarious a few years ago, until somebody at GS thought it was innapropriate and started cracking down on stuff (I don't think it was a mod).
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts
They do their job
Nick11478

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Nick11478
Member since 2006 • 1628 Posts
They censor too much. My moderation history can tell you that, Lol.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
They do a pretty good job. They mod what needs to be modded. I sometimes question some of the things that they mod me for, but I'm sure it's called for.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
Pretty good.. I've only seen like one moderation that imo shoulnd't have been moderated and a couple of glitch moderations. I think there's only one rule I don't like (the one were older members are punished harsher than newbies) but I completely understand why they have that rule.. Aside from that, it's great.
kalossimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kalossimitar
Seeing the results, it seems most people are unpleased with mods :S
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

THese mods are great...I got banned from The Elder Scrolls forums like 999 times :( (so I gave up and never went back, and instead posted more here).... I've been warned a lot, and suspended once, but they're really fair about it...I wasn't banned for life yet, and would have 50 more times at TES over small little things I post when I'm really tired or grumpy.

Thanks guys!