How Tech-Savvy Are You?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

Just curious OT: how tech-savvy are you guys? Are you real computer experts that do a lot of programming and really understand how everything works inside and out? Or are you more the type that couldn't care less as long as "that Windows thing does what you want"? Or maybe you're something in between even?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
as long as WoW pops up when I click that gold W icon, thats all I need.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jalexbrown
as long as WoW pops up when I click that gold W icon, thats all I need.Allicrombie
What about Gamespot?!?!?!
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I'm an IT guy so while I don't do really any programming I certainly know the ins and outs of a computer.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jalexbrown

I'm an IT guy so while I don't do really any programming I certainly know the ins and outs of a computer.

Serraph105
Aw...c'mon, you have to learn some programming. It's really not as hard as it is intimidating.
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

I'm basically worthless at technology. (And yet I'm better at that stuff than my parents. Yikes.) But I've been spoiled and had my computers and everything always taken care of for me, so now when stuff doesn't work I just freak out. :(

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jalexbrown

I'm basically worthless at technology. (And yet I'm better at that stuff than my parents. Yikes.) But I've been spoiled and had my computers and everything always taken care of for me, so now when stuff doesn't work I just freak out. :(

binpink
When I saw you posted, I expected something along the lines of, "You're back!!!" I am disappoint.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

jalexbrown
Aw...c'mon, you have to learn some programming. It's really not as hard as it is intimidating.

well I was forced to take one programming class, but it was really like programming 101 and almost everyone in the class was tearing their hair out. Only thing I really ended up learning from it was the understanding of flow charts which I consider quite useful.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]as long as WoW pops up when I click that gold W icon, thats all I need.jalexbrown
What about Gamespot?!?!?!

er yeah GS too. >.>
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
-I work as a commissioned salesman at a computer store -I build and repair computers on a regular basis -I have experience with Windows, Mac OS, Linux, BSD, and Solaris and am comfortable in the command line of each respective OS family.
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
Enough to get by, yet not nearly enough to be called an "expert".
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 binpink

[QUOTE="binpink"]

jalexbrown

When I saw you posted, I expected something along the lines of, "You're back!!!" I am disappoint.

I can assure you I thought that when I saw your name under most recent posts not too long ago. :) But now I'll say it- You're back! Where did you go?

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="binpink"]

binpink

I can assure you I thought that when I saw your name under most recent posts not too long ago. :) But now I'll say it- You're back! Where did you go?

Long story short: college was killing my schedule. I'm only here now, because I just finished finals and have a few weeks off.
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 binpink

Long story short: college was killing my schedule. I'm only here now, because I just finished finals and have a few weeks off.jalexbrown

Hope to see you around more, then! Before the life-killer that is college sucks you back in.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105
[QUOTE="binpink"]

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"] When I saw you posted, I expected something along the lines of, "You're back!!!" I am disappoint.jalexbrown

Long story short: college was killing my schedule. I'm only here now, because I just finished finals and have a few weeks off.

welcome back! *Deadpan Monotones* "Forever and ever and ever."
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

In between by FAR! I must have knowledge of the PC or else I'll punch someone...

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jalexbrown

[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="binpink"]

Serraph105

welcome back! *Deadpan Monotones* "Forever and ever and ever."

I didn't honestly know if you'd even remember me. :P

(To keep this topic somewhat on topic, I'm pretty tech-savvy. I do programming for fun if that tells you anything. I'm also familiar with a variety of operating systems - Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris, OSX (somehwat). Yeah, I'm pretty much a really proud geek.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts

Just about done my semester for school, and I'm learning about Linux, Networks, Windows, and hardware. So I can say im getting closer towards the expert category.

I know my way around computers, inside and out, and Windows OS, but Linux... not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Well, I'm a second-year Computer Science student. I didn't start programming until college, but I have had access to a computer for literally as long as I can remember, and I've had my own computers for like ten years. I guess you could say that I'm pretty swift with computers. I'm not an expert, but I'm definitely above average.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jalexbrown
Well, I'm a second-year Computer Science student. I didn't start programming until college, but I have had access to a computer for literally as long as I can remember, and I've had my own computers for like ten years. I guess you could say that I'm pretty swift with computers. I'm not an expert, but I'm definitely above average.t3hrubikscube
What languages did/are you learning? I go to University of Cincinnati, and we learned Java and C#.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6016f2513d412
What languages did/are you learning? I go to University of Cincinnati, and we learned Java and C#.jalexbrown
So far I've mostly worked with Java and a little with C++. I think next semester I'll work more with C++ and C#. :)
RaincoatKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RaincoatKiller
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts
I am capable of repairing computers and programming them... to an extent.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I just can't get my head around those contraptions. I mean, where's the any key?
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]What languages did/are you learning? I go to University of Cincinnati, and we learned Java and C#.t3hrubikscube
So far I've mostly worked with Java and a little with C++. I think next semester I'll work more with C++ and C#. :)

Java was easy; C# was easier; C++ is probably one of the harder high-level languages.
artichoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 artichoke
Member since 2006 • 2271 Posts
Don't know any programming but i know enough about computers to fix my own stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6016f2513d412
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"]What languages did/are you learning? I go to University of Cincinnati, and we learned Java and C#.jalexbrown

Java was easy; C# was easier; C++ is probably one of the harder high-level languages.

Yeah, I would mostly agree. I am tired of Java so moving on to other things will be nice. :P
Avatar image for TroubleMaker411
TroubleMaker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 TroubleMaker411
Member since 2009 • 1445 Posts

I'm an IT guy, so I am pretty good with a computer.

My only issue is programming and scripting.

It's not hard. As someone said earlier, it's just intimidating when you first start it. It's just mind-numbingly BORING!

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] So far I've mostly worked with Java and a little with C++. I think next semester I'll work more with C++ and C#. :)

Yeah, I would mostly agree. I am tired of Java so moving on to other things will be nice. :P

I don't know why, but I didn't care too much for Java. I really enjoyed C# though, and that's what I use for all my hobby programming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6016f2513d412
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Java was easy; C# was easier; C++ is probably one of the harder high-level languages.

I don't know why, but I didn't care too much for Java. I really enjoyed C# though, and that's what I use for all my hobby programming.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Java either. I like what I know of C++ so far, so I'm looking forward to learning more. :)
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] Yeah, I would mostly agree. I am tired of Java so moving on to other things will be nice. :P

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Java either. I like what I know of C++ so far, so I'm looking forward to learning more. :)

I think C++ is pretty easily the most versatile language, and it's almost as portable in most cases as Java. C# is a great derivative of C/C++, but it's better when you get Mono and get away from Microsoft's .net BS.
shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#32 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

I used to do some programming, does that count?

RaincoatKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RaincoatKiller
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] Java was easy; C# was easier; C++ is probably one of the harder high-level languages.

Would you be interest in joining an independant videogame company? I happen to co-run one with my wife, and we need more programmers. Especially since you know C...?
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="RaincoatKiller"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"] Yeah, I would mostly agree. I am tired of Java so moving on to other things will be nice. :P

Would you be interest in joining an independant videogame company? I happen to co-run one with my wife, and we need more programmers. Especially since you know C...?

Perhaps, although I'm really much more interested in game design. I'm not really good at that sort of programming; I'm more into productivity and business applications.
meetyoutoday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 meetyoutoday
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]Well, I'm a second-year Computer Science student. I didn't start programming until college, but I have had access to a computer for literally as long as I can remember, and I've had my own computers for like ten years. I guess you could say that I'm pretty swift with computers. I'm not an expert, but I'm definitely above average.jalexbrown
What languages did/are you learning? I go to University of Cincinnati, and we learned Java and C#.

that's might be great experience to study at that university.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#36 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
i dont really know much about programming but there isnt a software that i couldnt use/figure out.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers. I built my first computer when I was 13 and I've gotten into programming over the last 2 years. Over the 5 years I've had my own computer I haven't had any problems I wasn't able to fix myself. Right now I'm studying C++ and Operating systems so I guess I'm pretty tech savvy.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]Well, I'm a second-year Computer Science student. I didn't start programming until college, but I have had access to a computer for literally as long as I can remember, and I've had my own computers for like ten years. I guess you could say that I'm pretty swift with computers. I'm not an expert, but I'm definitely above average.meetyoutoday

that's might be great experience to study at that university.

University of Cincinnati is actually a really good college. I kind of figured it would be a run-of-the-mill college, but so far it's surpassed my expectations by a long shot.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Im pretty adapt when it comes to tech stuff, I can learn tech stuff faster than average human beings.
RaincoatKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RaincoatKiller
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="RaincoatKiller"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"] I don't know why, but I didn't care too much for Java. I really enjoyed C# though, and that's what I use for all my hobby programming.

Perhaps, although I'm really much more interested in game design. I'm not really good at that sort of programming; I'm more into productivity and business applications.

Our game company is a very small team, we could use some designers too. We are currently working on a survival horror action videogame I had written back when I was 13. 11 years and we are finally working on it.
my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

Just about done my semester for school, and I'm learning about Linux, Networks, Windows, and hardware. So I can say im getting closer towards the expert category.

I know my way around computers, inside and out, and Windows OS, but Linux... not so much.

Hobbsey07

I am SO laughing at your chicken sig ... :lol:

On topic, I am going to school for CSP, but I am still in the AS stage, so basically I know more about our nation's history and the structure of a plant than I do hardcore programming.

Though I can code simple programs like sorters/basic algorithms and file i/o capable progs. I am versed in C++, Java, C#, PHP and SOME VB.

That and I know how to change my background pics :shock:

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jalexbrown
[QUOTE="RaincoatKiller"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"][QUOTE="RaincoatKiller"] Would you be interest in joining an independant videogame company? I happen to co-run one with my wife, and we need more programmers. Especially since you know C...?

Our game company is a very small team, we could use some designers too. We are currently working on a survival horror action videogame I had written back when I was 13. 11 years and we are finally working on it.

I guess you could shoot me a PM with some assets, and I could look at them and hopefully provide some ideas and input. That would be fine by me. Feel free.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

i guess im somewwhere in between...i can build my computers...and i dabble in moddin and scriptin...but im no expert

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
Well I just built this computer so... im ok I guess? I'm scared of trying to OC though.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts
I don't know a lot about computers. But I'm working on improving in that field.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I'd say somewhere in the middle. I'm not some expert, but I'm not totally useless either.

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

not very. Couldn't even set up router :(

Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts
totally hopless ... as long as the thing turns on , an connects ...... good for me ...... or i go scream at someone lol......
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I can do basic things, but nothing beyond that. Technology upsets me most of the time anyway. >.>

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

I know C/C++, C#, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Assembly (which is a language I think every programmer should learn), as well as an assortment of scripting languages like PERL. All that sounds impressive, but once you've programmed long enough, you could learn a new language in like a week. I'm currently working on Ruby On Rail, and Javascript. I've also programmed in Prolog, and if you've ever thought to yourself "Gee, I would really like to program in Prolog."..... don't.

I've written UNIX shell program which was a pain.

I build computers and repair people's computers for some extra spending cash (though that mostly entails me of backing everything up and just reformatting and say I did stufff).

I would say I'm moderate because there are some people I know that would just blow me out of the water with everything they can do.