How much should i lift

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 T_B_B
Member since 2007 • 159 Posts

I wanna get buff and wondering how much i should life(dumbells in bicep curls)

my max is around 20 right now i think, maybe 15

how many sets and reps a set and pounds per set should i do

help is appreciated a lot

also is 7 grams of protein in a serving of 150 calories a lot  

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
Perhaps you should try a fitness website...
cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 cloudstrife75
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

I wanna get buff and wondering how much i should life(dumbells in bicep curls)

my max is around 20 right now i think, maybe 15

how many sets and reps a set and pounds per set should i do

help is appreciated a lot

also is 7 grams of protein in a serving of 150 calories a lot

T_B_B

First of all... how old are you?

Secondly... whats your weight?

Thirdly... whats your height?

Forthly... protein supplements, good ones anyways (isolate is way better than concentrate) will usually have 20+ grams of protein per serving.

Answer those questions and i will tell you more. 

freeze893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 freeze893
Member since 2004 • 1382 Posts

Goto www.bodybuilding.com

it is one of the most reputable wieghtraining/body building websites around. It's far more reliable the a gaming websites forum...

an 7 grams of protien in 150 calories isn't alot. I believe that the daily recommend allowance of protien is 50g. If you are planning on gaining serious muslce though, i would suggest eating atleast 70.   

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Ants can lift 50 times their body weight.  Start from there and go up.
Avatar image for PaintballinDude
PaintballinDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PaintballinDude
Member since 2004 • 1092 Posts

Ants can lift 50 times their body weight. Start from there and go up.FragStains

If ants were the size of ducks we would be in chains. 

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrHoboX
Member since 2004 • 1322 Posts

[QUOTE="FragStains"]Ants can lift 50 times their body weight. Start from there and go up.PaintballinDude

If ants were the size of ducks we would be in chains.

They'd have us working in the sugar mines for sure 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
Member since 2006 • 3052 Posts
Use a 10 lbs dumbbell and do 30 reps each set.
T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 T_B_B

im 14, 5'5 and 120-27 pounds

also whats the cheapest protein supplement i can buy?(very low on cash) 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cloudstrife75

it is one of the most reputable wieghtraining/body building websites around. It's far more reliable the a gaming websites forum...

an 7 grams of protien in 150 calories isn't alot. I believe that the daily recommend allowance of protien is 50g. If you are planning on gaining serious muslce though, i would suggest eating atleast 70.

freeze893

The rule for protein is 1g per pound of your body weight. i weigh 175 lbs.... so i need 175g of protein a day when working out for lean muscle.

What you need to do is eat lots of carbs too. Good carbs...not bad carbs like sugars. Whole wheat bread, pasta... like that. Also be sure to eat a lot of smaller meals instead of 3 large meals. More efficent digestion 

-zonkey-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -zonkey-
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts
34567890965432345678 lbs :)
T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 T_B_B
[QUOTE="freeze893"]

cloudstrife75

The rule for protein is 1g per pound of your body weight. i weigh 175 lbs.... so i need 175g of protein a day when working out for lean muscle.

What you need to do is eat lots of carbs too. Good carbs...not bad carbs like sugars. Whole wheat bread, pasta... like that. Also be sure to eat a lot of smaller meals instead of 3 large meals. More efficent digestion

how many proteins are there in chicken? Say, how many proteins would there be in a regular sized chicken leg?
cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cloudstrife75

T_B_B

If you are 14... then i wouldnt recommed lifting too heavy.

A key number of reps to do in a set is about 8. its the middle between mucsle mass gain (strength, low reps) and lean muscle mass gain (endurance, high reps).

Also... dont forget that muscles have 2 layers... slow twitch and fast twitch fibres. If you want more info let me know. 

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
Lift 700, i can ;)
T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 T_B_B
[QUOTE="T_B_B"]

cloudstrife75

A key number of reps to do in a set is about 8. its the middle between mucsle mass gain (strength, low reps) and lean muscle mass gain (endurance, high reps).

Also... dont forget that muscles have 2 layers... slow twitch and fast twitch fibres. If you want more info let me know.

i do:P, so i should do 8 reps a set? How many sets should i do? What should be the weight for each set?
cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cloudstrife75
[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"][QUOTE="freeze893"]

T_B_B

how many proteins are there in chicken? Say, how many proteins would there be in a regular sized chicken leg?

I am not sure. They are one of the most protein filled foods out there. The most is fish. Its pratically all protein.

As for supplements... do shopping and find out how much you can afford a month. Supplements have amino acids that foods dont offer...which is why they are beneficial even with just one serving a day.

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrHoboX
[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"][QUOTE="T_B_B"]

T_B_B

i do:P, so i should do 8 reps a set? How many sets should i do? What should be the weight for each set?

Maybe 5-6 sets same weight for each 

T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 T_B_B
[QUOTE="T_B_B"][QUOTE="cloudstrife75"][QUOTE="T_B_B"]

MrHoboX

And thats all for the day? Thats like 10 mins of working out? 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cloudstrife75
[QUOTE="T_B_B"][QUOTE="cloudstrife75"][QUOTE="T_B_B"]

MrHoboX

Sets should be anywhere between 3 to 5 PER EXERCISE... and i usually do 4 or 5 different exercises per muscle group. 

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrHoboX
No, but you shoudl lift in cycles. After that you work another body area then come back to arm curls.
T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 T_B_B
what specific exercises should i do? name them please:P
MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrHoboX

what specific exercises should i do? name them please:PT_B_B

Well are you just ding free weights, r are you also using machines? 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cloudstrife75

what specific exercises should i do? name them please:PT_B_B

When working out...do one muscle group that pushes and one that pulls.

example: bicep and tricep, cheat and back 

What are you working out for? a sport? or just to look big? you need to have a goal dude

T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 T_B_B

[QUOTE="T_B_B"]what specific exercises should i do? name them please:Pcloudstrife75

Well what are you working out for? a sport? or just to look big? you need to have a goal dude

To look big but if I do get big enough by August Ill go for football as well. So mainly to get big and football as a plus if i achieve my goal.

And to the above poster. Ill sound retarded but whats the diff between free weights and machines? 

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrHoboX
[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

[QUOTE="T_B_B"]what specific exercises should i do? name them please:PT_B_B

Well what are you working out for? a sport? or just to look big? you need to have a goal dude

To look big but if I do get big enough by August Ill go for football as well. So mainly to get big and football as a plus if i achieve my goal.

And to the above poster. Ill sound retarded but whats the diff between free weights and machines?

Free wieghts are things like dumbells, while machines would be like ina gym (leg press for instance). Free weights give youo more freedom, and are less restricting, but you have to wrk more to make sure you target the right muscles. Machines do it all for you but only work one specific muscle area/areas, while with free weights you can hit multiple groups. 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cloudstrife75
[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

Free weights are dumbbells and machines use cables to transfer weight. A mix of both are good.

You wont get big over night. It took me 2 years to go from 145 to 175 lbs.  

T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 T_B_B
[QUOTE="T_B_B"][QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

[QUOTE="T_B_B"]what specific exercises should i do? name them please:PMrHoboX

Free wieghts are things like dumbells, while machines would be like ina gym (leg press for instance). Free weights give youo more freedom, and are less restricting, but you have to wrk more to make sure you target the right muscles. Machines do it all for you but only work one specific muscle area/areas, while with free weights you can hit multiple groups.

Well the gym next to my flat has both machines and dumbbells so i guess theyre both fine with me. I tried the machines out and am pretty hopeless with them though with the exception of the leg press one:P 

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrHoboX
[QUOTE="T_B_B"][QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

[QUOTE="T_B_B"]what specific exercises should i do? name them please:Pcloudstrife75

Free weights are dumbbells and machines use cables to transfer weight. A mix of both are good.

You wont get big over night. It took me 2 years to go from 145 to 175 lbs.

Like he said a mix of both is good 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cloudstrife75
[QUOTE="MrHoboX"][QUOTE="T_B_B"][QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

Well the gym next to my flat has both machines and dumbbells so i guess theyre both fine with me. I tried the machines out and am pretty hopeless with them though with the exception of the leg press one:P

Machines work just the set muscle groups... but with free weights its better because it makes YOU stabalize them. Your support muscles will be worked and will make you a stronger person. 

dasupasim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dasupasim
Member since 2004 • 313 Posts
When I was 14, I started off with 15lbs since I could barely do 20. Jumped up to 20 in a week. I don't suggest you use protein supplements yet. Wait till you cant lift a bit more.
skyline_racer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skyline_racer1
Member since 2004 • 2126 Posts
[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

From my understanding, with free weights, you use stabalizing muscles to try and stabalize what you do; with machines, the machine stabalizes for you, so you can focus on just that muscle(s).

I might be wrong on that one, but thats from what I understand on this matter. 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cloudstrife75

When I was 14, I started off with 15lbs since I could barely do 20. Jumped up to 20 in a week. I don't suggest you use protein supplements yet. Wait till you cant lift a bit more.dasupasim

Wrong. People dont get enough protein in thir typical diet. Protein encourages muscle growth, and when used in the morning, it actually raises metabolism. 

T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 T_B_B

[QUOTE="dasupasim"]When I was 14, I started off with 15lbs since I could barely do 20. Jumped up to 20 in a week. I don't suggest you use protein supplements yet. Wait till you cant lift a bit more.cloudstrife75

Wrong. People dont get enough protein in thir typical diet. Protein encourages muscle growth, and when used in the morning, it actually raises metabolism.

Anyways so what exercises should i do and i understand that i should do both free weight and machine exercises but free weights are a little better. Please name the specific exercises.

Another thing, how effective are pushups and ima sound retarded but what is the RIGHT way of doing them. I always screw up one way or the other:( 

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cloudstrife75
[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

[QUOTE="dasupasim"]When I was 14, I started off with 15lbs since I could barely do 20. Jumped up to 20 in a week. I don't suggest you use protein supplements yet. Wait till you cant lift a bit more.T_B_B

Anyways so what exercises should i do and i understand that i should do both free weight and machine exercises but free weights are a little better. Please name the specific exercises.

Another thing, how effective are pushups and ima sound retarded but what is the RIGHT way of doing them. I always screw up one way or the other:(

Best way to learn is to go to the gym and ask the ppl there. I could talk to you about this all night cause i have been in it for years for basketball and hockey.

You have to try things and see what works for your body.

I wouldnt recommend pushups until AFTER you are done a chest session. It will be somethign called a superset... which is doing a set and then, with no rest, doing another set with a much lower weight. its great for working the slow-twitch fibres. its something most people working out forget about. 

Cloud6900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Cloud6900
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts
I'm 15 and have been doing weights for three years, but have more so gotten much more serious over the last year and a half. I reccomend doing concentrated bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, incline benchpress, overhead tricep curls. Start off with those, i don't want to go into detail how to do each exercise so just look them up.
skyline_racer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skyline_racer1
Member since 2004 • 2126 Posts
[QUOTE="cloudstrife75"]

[QUOTE="dasupasim"]When I was 14, I started off with 15lbs since I could barely do 20. Jumped up to 20 in a week. I don't suggest you use protein supplements yet. Wait till you cant lift a bit more.T_B_B

Push ups, you wanna go down so your arms are in a 90 degree angle kinda like that.

There are a number of exercises you can do with dumbells, that it's hard to name off all of them. Do a google search of dumbell exercises and it should come up with sites that have different exercises with dumbells. A few would be bicep curl, to work your biceps obviously, dumbell shoulder press, to work your shoulders, dumbell chest press, to work your chest, shoulders, and triceps, and many more. That's not even scratching the surface of them.

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cloudstrife75

Forgot to address.... but a proper pushup is legs close together, not spread out. focuses weight distribution on the chest instead of evenly on the body.

Keeps arms confortably spread apart...so that when you go down your nose touches the floor and your arms are at a 90 degree angle. 

T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 T_B_B
the gym i go to isnt really a gym gym, its a gym. Ok i sound retarded. The gym i go to is like a gym for my whole complex or neighbourhood or whatever. Its free and there are no instructors or anything so i cant get help from anyone there.
cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cloudstrife75

You cant go into your first day to the gym as a expert. It takes a lot of time to get to know your body, and how it will re-act to working out in a gym properly.

Go and give it hell. Research the excerises online, make yourself a lil program but most of all have fun. dont get too serious because it will become a chore more then anything. enjoy it! dont get so into it that thats all you talk about or become a meat ball. 

soroush7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 soroush7
Member since 2003 • 1968 Posts
How old are you? If your under 18 i wouldnt recoment it.
T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 T_B_B

Another few retarded questions, whats the perfect way to do bicep curls, im pretty sure im screwing up in doing them? Also how much do dumbbells cost? And doing pushups, how do you lower yourself?

I know im hopeless.

cloudstrife75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cloudstrife75
research it man.
jim1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jim1029
Member since 2005 • 1048 Posts

Lift 700, i can ;)Guiltfeeder566

Talks like this, Yoda does. Kind of annoying, it gets. ;)

Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
Well first off, to get buff, the 3 main key factors are calories/carbs/nutrition/etc., excersize, and rest.  If you do a lot of these 3 steps over time, you should see results...but that's only if you're fully grown, if you're still going through puberty then it won't work.
pokeracc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pokeracc
Member since 2006 • 2198 Posts

Lift 700, i can ;)Guiltfeeder566

SURRREEE you can, Yoda

sonygoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sonygoes2
Member since 2006 • 516 Posts

T_B_B
Lol.I'm 14 6'2 and 150-154lb:P
pokeracc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pokeracc
Member since 2006 • 2198 Posts

How old are you? If your under 18 i wouldnt recoment it.soroush7

Where I come from (Canada). You are taugt to use weights and work out properly when you are 14. It's a whole unit in gym class and we had a weight room in the basement. You are also encouraged to work out staring at 14. Though at my gym you have to take a course if you are 12-16 years old. IF properly used weight training can greatly benifit people under the age of 18.

T_B_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 T_B_B

Alright i did some research and am confident i can do bicep curls fine now:P

I got a question, may sound dumb, working out your bicep means working out like your upper part of the arm i gues sright? How do i get my whole arm all big and stuff, like extending from my hand to shoulder get it big? 

Cloud6900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Cloud6900
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts

Alright i did some research and am confident i can do bicep curls fine now:P

I got a question, may sound dumb, working out your bicep means working out like your upper part of the arm i gues sright? How do i get my whole arm all big and stuff, like extending from my hand to shoulder get it big? 

T_B_B

Don't forget the triceps!

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
Don't drink too much protein shakes. It is bad for your kidneys to process more than what your body need.  A good food to eat after working out is bananas.Â