How is the European education system better than the Americans?

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 bcroger2
Member since 2009 • 848 Posts
Many Europeans say the american education is "corrupt" and consider theirs to be superior. What exactly makes theirs better though?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
It doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, for one thing.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23066 Posts
I can only speak about the German school system, which has it's pros and cons. It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age so teachers don't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The con is obviously that it's more difficult to improve and move up if you fall behind early.
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts
Tenure is the problem in my state. Incompetent teachers should not be difficult to replace.
bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bcroger2
I can only speak about the German school system, which has it's pros and cons. It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age so teachers don't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The con is obviously that it's more difficult to improve and move up if you fall behind early.mattbbpl
"It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age" Actually america usually starts doing this in about 5th/6th grade
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts
I, an American student believe that the nordic countries are vastly superior in education. While I don't think that applies to alot of the other european countries. UK, Spain, France. Who we are proably on a equal level with.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
It doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, for one thing.Theokhoth
I'm glad I paid $200,000 for my piece of paper instead of getting it for free. I'm not a charity case. :x
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Europe doesn't negate the importance of Thomas Jefferson in their textbooks.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
It doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, for one thing.Theokhoth
To be fair, neither does the public school system in the US. If I'd paid full tuition (which I didn't) it would have cost me $32,000 for four years (including housing, utilities, and a meal plan).
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I can only speak about the German school system, which has it's pros and cons. It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age so teachers don't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The con is obviously that it's more difficult to improve and move up if you fall behind early.bcroger2
"It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age" Actually america usually starts doing this in about 5th/6th grade

really when did they start doing that?
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
We actually learn something about countries outside of our own borders..
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I can only speak about the German school system, which has it's pros and cons. It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age so teachers don't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The con is obviously that it's more difficult to improve and move up if you fall behind early.bcroger2

What state are you referring to, and how is it done? I'm curious as Illinois doesn't do this (aside from the special education programs, obviously).
TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

I only really know much about the Serbian system and I don't really find it superior or inferior to anything, I'm sure its better than some and worse than some. I haven't been to school in America so I don't know alot about how their education system is

I'd imagine its about equal to be honest

bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bcroger2
We actually learn something about countries outside of our own borders..Deihjan
We do to thats why we have world geography lol. Maybe you need to learn about the Us more, rather then telling Americans to learn about other countries.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Because some people out there in our nation don't have maps.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn
Actually I think most kids have trouble with naming all the states let alone other countries.
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]It doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, for one thing.mattbbpl
To be fair, neither does the public school system in the US. If I'd paid full tuition (which I didn't) it would have cost me $32,000 for four years (including housing, utilities, and a meal plan).

Higher edecuation in Europe is still much, much cheaper then higher education in America.

Part of the reason American docters get paid so much compared to European ones is that they spend so much on Med School, where in Europe its free, or near free.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deihjan
[QUOTE="Deihjan"]We actually learn something about countries outside of our own borders..bcroger2
We do to thats why we have world geography lol. Maybe you need to learn about the Us more, rather then telling Americans to learn about other countries.

Notice how I never said anything about "telling you to learn about other countries".
LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

For one, the Europeans actually teach more than just one language.

Last time I checked, Quite a lot of Europe speaks English in addition to their native language.

In America, you might get 2-4 years of a language, depending on grad. requirements, and college enterance requirements. All of the foreign people I have met actually speak English Fluently/semi fluently. The average American, speaks English semi-fluently. That's one way. Perhaps there are more, or perhaps not.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Deihjan
[QUOTE="Deihjan"]We actually learn something about countries outside of our own borders..AutoPilotOn
Actually I think most kids have trouble with naming all the states let alone other countries.

They just need to memorize this
bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bcroger2
[QUOTE="bcroger2"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I can only speak about the German school system, which has it's pros and cons. It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age so teachers don't have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The con is obviously that it's more difficult to improve and move up if you fall behind early.mattbbpl

What state are you referring to, and how is it done? I'm curious as Illinois doesn't do this (aside from the special education programs, obviously).

We have regular/academic/AP also in 11/12th grade they also offer IP, which is higher then AP. Do you go to a private school?
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

If you were taught about countries outside of your own border, you might know that most American schools have world history courses.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
You've asked a mouthful there. It totally depends on what you consider superior, and which branch of education you're talking about. Tertiary education for example, college, America has the majority of the first rate facilities. It's a global leader in higher learning, and continues to stride utterly unopposed in the number of top rate education facilities, even by heavy hitters like the UK. Other education is a different matter. I'm not sure what specifically the "corrupt" comment is in reference to, but I've heard the USA criticised, inside and out, because it has a lower graduation rate from secondary education than a lot of other Western nations. Kind of a similar problem that the USA experiences with healthcare; if you have access to facilities, you have top rate quality, but if there's a large drop off from the top. I've also heard it criticised on the basis that the US school day is far shorter than many European countries, and thus less time learning. Summer break, the practice of cramming most holiday into a single block, has also been criticised as allowing children to forget a lot of what they learnt the previous year, where many European countries have terms, and have their holidays broken up into four or five breaks a year. As with all things you, we need to be more specific about what exactly you've heard from people arguing the European education system is better.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]It doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, for one thing.cobrax55

Higher edecuation in Europe is still much, much cheaper then higher education in America.

Part of the reason American docters get paid so much compared to European ones is that they spend so much on Med School, where in Europe its free, or near free.

Yeah, it's definitely more expensive. I just hear private rates being tossed around a lot when public rates are much lower and readily available. It's almost like people prefer to ignore them sometimes.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Deihjan

Last time I checked, Quite a lot of Europe speaks English in addition to their native language.

In America, you might get 2-4 years of a language, depending on grad. requirements, and college enterance requirements. All of the foreign people I have met actually speak English Fluently/semi fluently. The average American, speaks English semi-fluently. That's one way. Perhaps there are more, or perhaps not.

LORD_BLACKGULT
Most european countries that don't speak english, german or french as their main language usually learn one or two languages extra, depending on what country we're talking about. Personally, I was required to take German from seventh grade and up till ninth grade (that's American twelfth grade) besides my English, that is a mandatory language in Danish schools from around 4th grade. Most educations and secondary educations require French or German, and possibly Spanish, Latin and ancient Greek to let you in.
bcroger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bcroger2

LORD_BLACKGULT
"For one, the Europeans actually teach more than just one language" For high school we need to take at least 2-4 years of a foreign language to graduate.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deihjan

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]We actually learn something about countries outside of our own borders..Dark_Knight6

If you were taught about countries outside of your own border, you might know that most American schools have world history courses.

Mandatory subjects in most european schools..
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="bcroger2"] "It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age" Actually america usually starts doing this in about 5th/6th gradebcroger2

We have regular/academic/AP also in 11/12th grade they also offer IP, which is higher then AP. Do you go to a private school?

I have heard of AP classes. I think they only do that in like 11/12 grade and it was only like a 10 people and just a couple different classes like math and english.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I, an American student believe that the nordic countries are vastly superior in education.Tetrarch9

Why do you think this?

Oh is that all? Is this in-depth analysis you've presented us here a product of your superior educational system?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="bcroger2"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="bcroger2"] "It separates the low, middle, and high achievers at an early age" Actually america usually starts doing this in about 5th/6th grade

No, I went to a public one. AP classes don't kick in until junior/senior year for us. And, aside from remedial classes, there's no separation until high school (and then it's more like an ala carte model, where your classes can be chosen at will - this, I think, is a strength of the US model).
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Deihjan"]We actually learn something about countries outside of our own borders..bcroger2

They may have the course, but it's no secret US students have routinely tested far worse than most other nations in geography surveys.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Europeans know what the metric system is.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="bcroger2"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] What state are you referring to, and how is it done? I'm curious as Illinois doesn't do this (aside from the special education programs, obviously).mattbbpl

No, I went to a public one. AP classes don't kick in until junior/senior year for us. And, aside from remedial classes, there's no separation until high school (and then it's more like an ala carte model, where your classes can be chosen at will - this, I think, is a strength of the US model).

yea same in my school. Most people just load up on study halls though. I myself had at least 2 study halls each semester.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Deihjan

Oh is that all? Is this in-depth analysis you've presented us here a product of your superior educational system?

Palantas
Are you miffed by the fact that it's nearly 4am and I actually don't give a rat's bottom about you snooty Americans wanting to prove yourself more superior to other nations, by posting with fancy words?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
from what i have seen in my travels around europe and those who i have talked to online, its not better and i say that with no meager level of disdain for the US system.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AutoPilotOn
Europeans know what the metric system is.Fightingfan
I hate metric and when some people here use it. I always have to use google to convert it so I understand what the heck they are talking about.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mattbbpl
Europeans know what the metric system is.Fightingfan
So do US citizens. That's used more often in school systems than the imperial system as it's both the world and scientific standard.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]We actually learn something about countries outside of our own borders..Deihjan

I never denied that. In fact, I know that. I also know for a fact that most American schools have a mandatory world history course, which you don't seem to know. Which I just found so wonderfully ironic.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Europeans know what the metric system is.AutoPilotOn
I hate metric and when some people here use it. I always have to use google to convert it so I understand what the heck they are talking about.

I'm amazed your school system didn't ingrain the metric system into it's students.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AutoPilotOn
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Europeans know what the metric system is.mattbbpl
So do US citizens. That's used more often in school systems than the imperial system as it's both the world and scientific standard.

we never ever ever used metric in school. I understand how it makes more sense but I just cant visualize meters and stuff I need to know feet and inches or F degrees.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fightingfan

I still think it's something America should just except, the rest of the world uses it I mean why not?
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Are you miffed by the fact that it's nearly 4am and I actually don't give a rat's bottom about you snooty Americans wanting to prove yourself more superior to other nations, by posting with fancy words?

Deihjan

Are you being serious? I sometimes have a hard time telling with people I don't know. What fancy words?

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Deihjan

[QUOTE="Deihjan"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Dark_Knight6

I never denied that. In fact, I know that. I also know for a fact that most American schools have a mandatory world history course, which you don't seem to know. Which I just found so wonderfully ironic.

Where did I say that I didn't know that, though? Sure, I won't deny that I did not know it, but hey, let's be frank. I'm one of the more ignorant europeans, but it seems to attract a lot of attention, so it makes for a healthy debate, no? On equal terms, too, I'd say.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Danm_999

The metric system is wonderful once you've learnt it. It's the imperial system that's the nightmare from the outside, since many of its measurements are odd numbers (eg; a mile is 5280 feet, a kilometre is 1000 metres).
ColonelWilks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ColonelWilks
Member since 2005 • 3149 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]

Palantas

Are you being serious? I sometimes have a hard time telling with people I don't know. What fancy words?

You are being thoroughly trolled.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Europeans know what the metric system is.AutoPilotOn

we never ever ever used metric in school. I understand how it makes more sense but I just cant visualize meters and stuff I need to know feet and inches or F degrees.

What about sciences? I've never had a scientific... anything.... that didn't use metric. All science labs used metric.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Europeans know what the metric system is.mattbbpl

I agree with you only because I like in a Hispanic heavy city and Mexico/Cuba use the metric system but if I go to a lack of a better word "white-wash" town I doubt the average kid could tell me about how many (3)feet are in a Kilometer.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Most of the time when scores are compared it is not a fair comparison (before college). ...it is apples and oranges. With an all inclusive system, the US tests basically every student. Most/Many countries do not (as students are placed on tracks early in their academic careers). Both systems have their merits and faults. I, for one, do not think HS is for everyone...does some students little to no good, and they would be better served doing something else (trade school). I felt bad for these students while I was teaching (even though they made my job tougher). But I digress...when looking at scores, it is important to remember where the data comes from
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]

Palantas

if youre not monosyllabic youre a snooty poser now
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Europeans know what the metric system is.AutoPilotOn

That's because you grew up with it and have it ingrained into your mind. That is why we need to change it now so our children can grow up using a vastly superior system.