how do i convince my parents to let me fly solo across the country?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 korino55
Member since 2008 • 587 Posts

Ok, in a summary:

A company is thinking about sponsoring me for my skiing. The problem is that they are stationed in Texas, and im in Maine. If I went, id be an unaccompanied minor (UM) at the age of 13. if i did go, id meet one of my friends and her family, where i could stay. the big issue is that my parents dont know my friend's family very well.

So my question is, how do i convince my parents to let me go?

Thanks to all response

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Do you want to go skiing? 13... that's pretty young. How long would you be gone?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Yes.

Any time you can let your child go out on his own, it is for his or her benefit. Especially for something like this; furthering your skiiing career could be the greatest thing to happen to you. Whats next? Olympics? Who knows?!

And its not like youre going outside the states. Plus, Texans are some of the friendliest people I have ever met, and it is your friends family.

Idunno, my folks didnt keep my on a tight leash. When I was 13 we went to Europe and they me roam around on my own even though I did not speak a word of the country's language lol. They just made sure I knew the address of the place we were staying at. They flipped out once because I was gone watching a street musician for like 3 hours, but outside of that it was all right.

Looking back, my folks could have been a lot stricter and I am glad they were not. It made it a lot easier to make it on my own.

korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 korino55

to Jandurin: Of course i want to go skiing. it wouldnt be in texas, but itd be for future trips. i would only be gone for a week.

To mrbojangles25: Thanks for your answer, it reassured me about what i just may be doing.

so far, its a 50-50 split in the votes, i could use some other voices. Also, id be going in christmas vacation two days after christmas.

korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 korino55

ok. i totally want to go, but my parents are still... "iffy"

any advice on helping me attempt to convince them?

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
The answer is NO. And you shouldn't convince your parents to let you go. You're too young to understand what you're asking for.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I would only allow it if i were allowed to drop you off and pick you up. If i were a parent and not able to do that then my answer would be no. From your Point of View i think it would be a great experience and something you probably will never forget so i say yes for your POV.

Try to convince them by saying it will be a great and memorable experience.

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
The answer is NO. And you shouldn't convince your parents to let you go. You're too young to understand what you're asking for.EMOEVOLUTION
Oh emo, you always think it is so witty to give harsh answers... Just ask your parents about it, they will want to talk to the parents of the people you are staying with so arrange a telephone conversation with them. Just tell them that you really want to go and that you think it could be a really good experience from which you could learn a lot and gain a lot. 13 is quite young though :P
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
leaning towards no... i'ld want to talk to the family first or try to go with my kid
Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Freebird8877
Member since 2006 • 3407 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to hitchhike with a man offering free candy? If not, then.... I'd say no, because kids suck, and I'm an ass.

**EDIT** I take back what I said, I actually took the time and read you post, and the only reason I am saying "Yes" Is because you have such good grammar for a 13y/o. So, have fun in Maine! Or were you going to Texas? Blah, I forget!

**EDIt 2** I'm on my 5th shot, sorry for the randomness Gamespot!!!

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Tell them you're a vampire and that the only way to be cured of your illness is to visit your friend's scientist father who has an antidote.

It worked for me!

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to hitchhike with a man offering free candy? If not, then.... I'd say no, because kids suck, and I'm an ass.Freebird8877

Amen to that good sir. :P

Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Freebird8877

[QUOTE="Freebird8877"]Wouldn't it be easier to hitchhike with a man offering free candy? If not, then.... I'd say no, because kids suck, and I'm an ass.UnamedThing

Amen to that good sir. :P

Hey, I'm not ashamed. I'm tough, but fair! Also, I edited my post, so have another read!!! Also, thanks for the lolz.

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

How long will you be gone?

I'm leaning torwards no myself. How responsible are you?

Your parents would need to communicate and talk with her parents. Not a parent, but if I was, I would at least fly with you, and then fly back home, and I would probably let you fly back by yourself when it was all done.

darksword1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darksword1123
Member since 2004 • 30121 Posts
Just go.
mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts

try anything to go it's a once in a liftime thing and you'll probably regret it if you don't go.

fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts

you're a minor not an adult.

your etiher go with parents or stay home.

Freebird8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Freebird8877

you're a minor not an adult.

your etiher go with parents or stay home.

fbigent34

Or you don't go with parents, and go by yourself! HA!, Never thought of that, did ya man? I'm always here to help.

Nevlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nevlim
Member since 2007 • 5312 Posts
no dont go 13 is to young wait to be older or simply go with your parents
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
yes. I've seen younger kids travel alone. Independence for the win.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
No. What if you get kidnapped by a child molester, or worse? It's pretty dangerous on your own.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts
All your parents have to do is take you to the airport, and your friends family meet you at the other end. If they don't show up you go back home. That way you're never "alone," and the airline will take care of you during the trip.... unless Godzilla attacks the plane.
JC346

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 JC346
Member since 2007 • 4886 Posts
My friend went on a plane to Ukraine alone when he was 10. I think your parents can let you got to Texas.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
All your parents have to do is take you to the airport, and your friends family meet you at the other end. If they don't show up you go back home. That way you're never "alone," and the airline will take care of you during the trip.... unless Godzilla attacks the plane.DigitalExile
But won't he have to pay for the ticket? It will be bad if no one comes to take him, and aren't tickets expensive?
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts

My parents would probably let me. They want me to travel to get more knowledge of the world.

Me and my friends keep saying that the three of us should fly to Japan and go to one of those hotels where you get massages and other dirty stuff :lol: Besides Japanese women are hot! :D

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts
[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]All your parents have to do is take you to the airport, and your friends family meet you at the other end. If they don't show up you go back home. That way you're never "alone," and the airline will take care of you during the trip.... unless Godzilla attacks the plane.hydralisk86
But won't he have to pay for the ticket? It will be bad if no one comes to take him, and aren't tickets expensive?

I'm assuming he knows these people and can properly organise with them.
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

My parents would probably let me. They want me to travel to get more knowledge of the world.

Me and my friends keep saying that the three of us should fly to Japan and go to one of those hotels where you get massages and other dirty stuff :lol: Besides Japanese women are hot! :D

I_pWnzz_YoU

My parents would let me. Hopefully, I'll be visiting Japan next year in May or June

chester706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chester706
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts
You should be allowed to go. By the sound of it you are quite a talented skier. I would definately want you to pursue that. Also for people saying that he is too young. On a flight to Florida I saw two six year olds as unaccompanied minors. While he is young he is definately not too young. Go for it.
SeanUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SeanUD1
Member since 2007 • 812 Posts
Have the company that you are speaking with contact your parents about everything.
Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts

The real question is, why would you want to take a flight on any American airliner? I'm more afraid of the staff than I am of any terrorist. I say you should take the train or road trip.

And no, if I had a 13 year old kid, I wouldn't let them go on a plane solo.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

Yes.

Any time you can let your child go out on his own, it is for his or her benefit. Especially for something like this; furthering your skiiing career could be the greatest thing to happen to you. Whats next? Olympics? Who knows?!

And its not like youre going outside the states. Plus, Texans are some of the friendliest people I have ever met, and it is your friends family.

Idunno, my folks didnt keep my on a tight leash. When I was 13 we went to Europe and they me roam around on my own even though I did not speak a word of the country's language lol. They just made sure I knew the address of the place we were staying at. They flipped out once because I was gone watching a street musician for like 3 hours, but outside of that it was all right.

Looking back, my folks could have been a lot stricter and I am glad they were not. It made it a lot easier to make it on my own.

mrbojangles25

you lucky douchebag :(

my parents wont even let me take a walk in the neighborhood unsupervised... and if im even just 5 minutes late from school, they start going around the neighborhood looking for me.

they have this weird mindset that "we live in america now, crazy people are EVERYWHERE" which i find stupid because there are crazy people all over the world, the media in america just blows it out or proportion.

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
There's no snow to ski on in Texas.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xeros606

The real question is, why would you want to take a flight on any American airliner? I'm more afraid of the staff than I am of any terrorist. I say you should take the train or road trip.

And no, if I had a 13 year old kid, I wouldn't let them go on a plane solo.

ElectronicMagic

this. and if they drive you there, they can meet your friends family to dispel any worries they had about them.

cs45F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cs45F
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts

Why dont your parents go with you?

I know if my son was getting sponsored i would kind of want to be there when the paperwork goes down...

cs45F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cs45F
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Yes.

Xeros606

my parents wont even let me take a walk in the neighborhood unsupervised... and if im even just 5 minutes late from school, they start going around the neighborhood looking for me.

they have this weird mindset that "we live in america now, crazy people are EVERYWHERE" which i find stupid because there are crazy people all over the world, the media in america just blows it out or proportion.

wow that sucks i tell my dad hey im gonna be gone till 9 pm he goes ok be back on time.

so i can pretty much do whatever i want.

If you have a bike just tell them your riding it and go whereever you want..

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xeros606
[QUOTE="Xeros606"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Yes.

cs45F

wow that sucks i tell my dad hey im gonna be gone till 9 pm he goes ok be back on time.

so i can pretty much do whatever i want.

If you have a bike just tell them your riding it and go whereever you want..

they wont let me have a bike for that exact reason. :| and theyre always paranoid about what im doing, my mom once asked me if she could search my wallet, i said no because thats kind of stupid and i was tired and just wanted to relax after a day at school, then she said "why, are you hiding drugs? are you doing drugs? let me see your eyes." they are really overprotective, its driving me crazy.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I'm leaning towards no. I'm not a parent, I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that my 13 year old son was flying across the country alone. Maybe if there was an attendant w/ you at all times.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Well of course your parents don't want you to go to texas, you're moving away at age 13!!!!!! They want to see you grow up and be a big part of their life. Unless this is some temporary thing. You should try working something out with that sponsor to see if you can just stay in Maine. If not, you could go to texas, win some competitions, go to olympics if you're really good enough, get lots of money maybe, become a world famous skiier, or you could completely flop and your sponsors drop you after 6 months. Well, good luck with whatever you choose to do.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
yeah as long as you know the people that are gonig to pick you up.
korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 korino55

wow, i got some feedback

anyways, ill try to answer all the questions i can remember reading:

I have a 7 day period where i can travel without missing school

Although im not exactly sure what airliner id be going on, most give you something to identify you as a UM (such as a hat or a badge) and the airports keep a close eye on you

Yes, the family would meet me at the airport

im trying to set up a phone conversation with our parents. if thats not good enough, i can get a web-cam.

as far as responsible goes, i cant truly say, but i can say that ive gotten strait As from 5th grade, ive never had any sort of run-in with cops or police, and supposedly im "too" polite.

if my parents were to go with me, theyd be spending a good $700 more and really, who wants to travel 8 hours just to go and do it again?

This could be for my career. as ive said in some of my follow-up posts, i obviously wouldn't ski in Texas, but itd be for later use. who knows what could spark? maybe a top-rated video game would be made and you will all soon be mindlessly gouging my body by attempting to grind a rail?

* thanks to everyone. its really nice to hear both the go-for-its and the dont-go sides.

HessenKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HessenKnight
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
No. End of discussion. This puts an enourmous toll on parents. You'll be doing them a great inconvience by doing this, and worry them sick. Sorry, buddy, that's life.
I_pWnzz_YoU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 I_pWnzz_YoU
Member since 2007 • 6032 Posts
[QUOTE="I_pWnzz_YoU"]

vidplayer8

My parents would let me. Hopefully, I'll be visiting Japan next year in May or June

Nice, Japanese sex hotels await you :lol: