How can you tell when a beggar's lieing?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Strange thing happened today. I was walking to the bus stop when this family passed me by. A mom, dad, and two kids. The pregnant mother of the group ran up to me and begged me to help her. She started speaking real fast about how terrible her life is and that her husbands a tweaker and that she needed twelve bucks to take the train somewhere. My bus pulled up so I didnt have much time to think so i gave her a quarter. Her story seemed pretty hokey to me but you can never be sure. What do you do when people ask you for money? How can you tell if theyre lieing?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
Strange thing happened today. I was walking to the bus stop when this family passed me by. A mom, dad, and two kids. The pregnant mother of the group ran up to me and begged me to help her. She started speaking real fast about how terrible her life is and that her husbands a tweaker and that she needed twelve bucks to take the train somewhere. My bus pulled up so I didnt have much time to think so i gave her a quarter. Her story seemed pretty hokey to me but you can never be sure. What do you do when people ask you for money? How can you tell if theyre lieing?Capitan_Kid
She was talking real fast? Sounds like a meth addict. You just supported her addiction, and thus you are responsible for the ruined lives of her children.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
97.5% of the time they are lying.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I saw one "homeless" woman begging in my area a while back and she was wearing Gucci sunglasses, expensive clothes and her hair was done up like she was going to the ball. I mean, if you just want to bet for a living, at least make it believable. :lol:

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
I usually just pretend I didn't hear a word they just said and keep it moving
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I saw a dude one time with a sign that said "Need money for hookers and pot. At least I'm honest."

I gave him a dollar because he made me laugh.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

I saw a dude one time with a sign that said "Need money for hookers and pot. At least I'm honest."

I gave him a dollar because he made me laugh.

Aljosa23
Later that night he was stabbed to death in the chest.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

The only time I give money is when a coworker is short at a vending machine, or if they need a couple bucks for a soda and a bag of chips.

I don't give money to people who run up to me on the side of the street and beg.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
if they have a very strong stench they're for real... idk though one guy had a "Karma: 50 cents" sign so i gave him a buck, it was at night and he told me, "your headlights aren't on man" and it was true. on the rest of my journey home i passed 4 stationary cop cars. Karma is awesome. :P
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
She probably was if she was talking about drugs.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

I usually just pretend I didn't hear a word they just said and keep it moving Bucked20

Look at you, sounding like somebody with some streets smarts.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Strange thing happened today. I was walking to the bus stop when this family passed me by. A mom, dad, and two kids. The pregnant mother of the group ran up to me and begged me to help her. She started speaking real fast about how terrible her life is and that her husbands a tweaker and that she needed twelve bucks to take the train somewhere. My bus pulled up so I didnt have much time to think so i gave her a quarter. Her story seemed pretty hokey to me but you can never be sure. What do you do when people ask you for money? How can you tell if theyre lieing?Nibroc420
She was talking real fast? Sounds like a meth addict. You just supported her addiction, and thus you are responsible for the ruined lives of her children.

Maybe. Her eyes were weird.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I just keep on walkin'. I don't have the time nor patience to listen to anyone's sob story.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Capitan_Kid
I just keep on walkin'. I don't have the time nor patience to listen to anyone's sob story.savebattery
Aint that a bit heartless, brah? Theres always that chance they really need the money for food
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Aint that a bit heartless, brah? Theres always that chance they really need the money for foodCapitan_Kid

There is no shortage to the amount of programs out there for people who need help.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

She was into for drugs.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bucked20

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]I usually just pretend I didn't hear a word they just said and keep it moving TecmoGirl

Why you gotta say it like that

Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
I think that usually you can just tell. I'd never walk past someone though without acknowledging them whether I'm giving them money or not. The idea of completely ignoring someone like this is preposterous to me; no matter what they're doing with their lives they are still human and should be at the very least acknowledged. To ignore is to completely dehumanize them.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

This one hobo was holding up an invisable sign so I gave him a dollar. Also like the one that read: "Help, family kidnapped by ninjas need money for karate lessons."

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#20 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
If I have food in my car I'll give them food so that way they don't go off buying drugs later with my money or waste it. I saw this guy begging on the street for $2 in Seattle so he could get a starbucks coffee. I was like "da f man" but I bought him a coffee and sandwich, didn't give him money though. I think he is 'special' in the sense that he can't really help himself, he seemed to have some problems he couldn't actually fix himself.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TecmoGirl

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]I usually just pretend I didn't hear a word they just said and keep it moving Bucked20

Because I can? That's why punk..

lol I dunno I just felt like picking with you about it. Bored.

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
I dont give beggars money. If they truly needed it then idk I might feel bad but alot of times they are in their current situation cause of their own choices and problems.
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

does it really matter if they are? to me it doesn't. i just think if i can part with some money and, if i can, i make a quick estimate if the person asking for it is worth doing so for. you can usually tell they need money, they don't have to give their life's story in exchange for it and i don't see why they would owe me any justification of how they're going to spend it.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bucked20

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

TecmoGirl

Oh alright thought I was gonna have to whoop that ass

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#25 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Sometimes I give it sometimes I don't. One time a guy asked me for money to buy beer. Told me he was just being honest so I gave him a few bucks. Another dude just ran up to my car saying he needed a quarter to have enough to pay for his meal and still afford weed. I gave him the quarter.

Others I feel bad for. Some I know are lying. If I get the feeling they're lying I don't give them anything. If I think it's genuine, like when I saw a homeless guy walking in his socks in the rain, I give a few bucks.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I had guy ask me for $2.50 to get a drink. I decided he was a poor shopper and told him that was way too much.

I had another guy claim he just came home from afganistan from the military and had two gas cards to sell me at a deal.He never called me 'Sir' once. I swear, every time I talk to a military person either on the phone or in person and they are strangers, they call me Sir. I suspected he just stole two cards from a store and they werent activated.

I got suckered once and gave a really nice kid $5 because he said he needed to take the bus and missed it, blah blah blah. I knew I got suckered because I saw him in the lot 30 minutes later. When he saw me, he disappeared.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"]I just keep on walkin'. I don't have the time nor patience to listen to anyone's sob story.Capitan_Kid
Aint that a bit heartless, brah? Theres always that chance they really need the money for food

1. I have my own needs to provide for 2. I have no way to validate their claims 3. There are plenty of people all over the world that really need money for food. The difference is, people in this country don't have an excuse. If you're a homeless adult in the US, you ended up a homeless adult because of your own choices. Now it's time to make some better choices to change that. I grew up poor and have lived around poverty my entire life. My father never once expected anyone else to take care of his responsibilities for him and he made sure my brothers and I understood that the same was expected of us.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="savebattery"]I just keep on walkin'. I don't have the time nor patience to listen to anyone's sob story.savebattery

1. I have my own needs to provide for 2. I have no way to validate their claims 3. There are plenty of people all over the world that really need money for food. The difference is, people in this country don't have an excuse. If you're a homeless adult in the US, you ended up a homeless adult because of your own choices. Now it's time to make some better choices to change that. I grew up poor and have lived around poverty my entire life. My father never once expected anyone else to take care of his responsibilities for him and he made sure my brothers and I understood that the same was expected of us.

Its unfair to judge them like that. You have no idea how many ways there are to become homeless. There are a lot of people literally born to become homeless. You were one of the lucky ones.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TecmoGirl

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

Bucked20

Uh huh! sure! = )

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="savebattery"]I just keep on walkin'. I don't have the time nor patience to listen to anyone's sob story.savebattery

QFT
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i dont really try to judge their story or whatever, but i guess i wouldnt buy it if a guy in tuxedo tried. if im out of town, i usually wont give them any money. if im in my town, then i will. those are MY hobos, dammit (unless they move around, the sneaky bastards).

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

Sometimes I give it sometimes I don't. One time a guy asked me for money to buy beer. Told me he was just being honest so I gave him a few bucks. Another dude just ran up to my car saying he needed a quarter to have enough to pay for his meal and still afford weed. I gave him the quarter.

Others I feel bad for. Some I know are lying. If I get the feeling they're lying I don't give them anything. If I think it's genuine, like when I saw a homeless guy walking in his socks in the rain, I give a few bucks.

NeonNinja
honestly, i dont care if they go off to buy alcohol with the money i give them. id want a drink if i were homeless too. once i just gave a guy asking for change a beer out of a 6 pack i was on my way home with :P
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bucked20

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

TecmoGirl

Uh huh! sure! = )

What you think about my sig,was that the type of girls you said you didn't like

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

you can tell they're lying if they drive away in a porsche.

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TecmoGirl

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

Bucked20

Uh huh! sure! = )

Ugh!..omg Yes! Twirkteam style girls are EXACTLY the type of girls I dun like. Infact, I think i'm gonna go post some hater comments on one of their vids right now. lol

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bucked20

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

Uh huh! sure! = )

TecmoGirl

Ugh!..omg Yes! Twirkteam style girls are EXACTLY the type of girls I dun like. Infact, I think i'm gonna go post some hater comments on one of their vids right now. lol

Lmao why you don't like girls with big bootys,you know that sh*t looks amazing

Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="savebattery"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Aint that a bit heartless, brah? Theres always that chance they really need the money for food

Its unfair to judge them like that. You have no idea how many ways there are to become homeless. There are a lot of people literally born to become homeless. You were one of the lucky ones.

Exactly.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
When they smell of booze or smoke and will not accept food instead of money. Generally I don't give money to them because the possibility of them abusing drugs or alcohol is incredibly high, and I cannot in my right mind support that. If they are genuinely hungry, and I were a little more well of and had some time on my hands, I may buy them a shower, new clothes and a hearty meal.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TecmoGirl

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

Bucked20

LOL! Well I guess it's not so much that I dun like girls with them -- I just dun like the guys who put them above everything else. So yah, I won't front about it -- I might be a little jealous that a big ass could get attention over nice eyes, nice smile, nice chest, etc; Basically everything else I think I have going for me. But none of that matters when you can move it like they do in your gif though right? ;):P

GlamourBoppin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GlamourBoppin
Member since 2012 • 150 Posts
97.5% of the time they are lying.KiIIyou
This is correct 65.4% of the time, every time.
GlamourBoppin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GlamourBoppin
Member since 2012 • 150 Posts
This reminds of this one time I was going out to eat with my cousin. Sitting at the entrance of the restaurant was a man listening to an iPod and he had the audacity to ask me to buy him something to eat. What a kunt.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Offer them food. If they reject it, you know what's up.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

You can't tell unless they drastically don't look like one.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Here are various rules: If someone is sleeping outside in the middle of the night, he is homeless. If someone repeats the same sad story multiple times over a period of time then he is lying (e.g. "I just got out of prison and need to take care of my son.") If someone is hesitant to take help then this is a good indicator that he is not usually a beggar. If someone asks for money for food but refuses to be taken to get food, he is likely lying. If someone was only recently made homeless or needy then he is less likely a scam artist than someone who has lived on the streets for 30 years. I can give more examples but you get the point. While attending university for about 3 years I would hang out with homeless every Thursday night. As such, I definitely ran into those who genuinely did need help and those who simply tried to scam us. Sometimes the difference was obvious, sometimes not as much. The benefit of me doing this every week is that I would eventually be able to distinguish those who were truly in need from those who were not simply because I got to know the people (not to mention we had homeless people "on the inside" who would tell us the truth about others).
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bucked20

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

TecmoGirl

LOL! Well I guess it's not so much that I dun like girls with them -- I just dun like the guys who put them above everything else. So yah, I won't front about it -- I might be a little jealous that a big ass could get attention over nice eyes, nice smile, nice chest, etc; Basically everything else I think I have going for me. But none of that matters when you can move it like they do in your gif though right? ;):P

An attractive woman gets just as much attention,Im pretty sure dudes holla at you on the regular.Plus you said you got tig ol bitties right?Now stop hating on them big booty women and get in the mirror and practice twerkin lol
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts

It's easier to just assume they all lie.

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TecmoGirl

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

Bucked20

An attractive woman gets just as much attention,Im pretty sure dudes holla at you on the regular.Plus you said you got tig ol bitties right?Now stop hating on them big booty women and get in the mirror and practice twerkin lol

You know what... you're right! I will definitely get the jealousy in check -- and I already put in some practice when i'm alone believe it or not lol thnx for the motivation. = )

katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
I've never been in a situation like that =S I'm not sure what I'd do..
LostVoyager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LostVoyager
Member since 2012 • 385 Posts
Does it matter, isn't it discriminatory to not donate to a "beggar" based of perceived income. I am a pretty disgusting looking person so I could probably get money if I lined up on the street but I will not because I find that wrong. However if a rich kid needs money to buy a 3DS because his parents hate gaming I would probably donate him/her the money and move on. I think we should help out those in need anywhere and if you give a little people get happy and a smile is infectious.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

I saw one "homeless" woman begging in my area a while back and she was wearing Gucci sunglasses, expensive clothes and her hair was done up like she was going to the ball. I mean, if you just want to bet for a living, at least make it believable. :lol:

Pirate700
ROFL reminds me of the time a man in a suit was begging for change on a street corner while talking a call on his cell phone. He got pissed at people that just drove by him too. What a joke.