House Democrats have 216 votes needed to pass US health care reform.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

Link.

What do Americans think about this ? :) I've been hearing some pros and cons about this but I'd like to hear what's the position of OT forum about this.

Discuss.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="N-REAL"]

Link.

What do Americans think about this ? :) I've been hearing some pros and cons about this but I'd like to hear what's the position of OT forum about this.

Discuss.

I think its overall positive.. I just wish they add the fail safe bill that forces congress to readdress the act years later on the parts that are not working as intended.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

It passed? Wow, can't wait to hear people start complaining about Obamacare.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

Snipes_2
I don't think they've voted yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59d151f079814

Snipes_2

I don't see why they would.. Its suppose to lower our premiums, and obliterate the negative practices that the Health Care businesses do..

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

scorch-62
I don't think they've voted yet.

Yeah, I didn't either. The Topic made me think it did. :/
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

sSubZerOo

I don't see why they would.. Its suppose to lower our premiums, and obliterate the negative practices that the Health Care businesses do..

They also thought Obama would be a great President and well...He isn't.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I'm not looking forward to the weeks of speeches from Obama about how great he thinks he is because he finally didn't fall fail at something. The increased taxes are going to be fun also. :|

N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N-REAL

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

sSubZerOo

Meaning that insurance companies would get less $ isn't it. :? :|

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 scorch-62
Yeah, I didn't either. The Topic made me think it did. :/Snipes_2
The topic only says that Dems have the votes they need.
They also thought Obama would be a great President and well...He isn't. Snipes_2
What makes a great President?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

Snipes_2

Why exactly is he considered a bad president?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

N-REAL

Seeing as the health care industry is a multi trillion dollar industry.. To which during this build the industry launched the largest lobbying campaign in history in hundreds of millions of dollars.. I can't help but see why this is overly negative.. Furthermore its lowering our premiums because much of the costs are due to inefficencies within the system and buearcracy.. If it works of course, we have no real clue if it will or not.. But imo its far better then keeping the course of things, where the bad things are shoved off on the average day person.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]Yeah, I didn't either. The Topic made me think it did. :/scorch-62
The topic only says that Dems have the votes they need.
They also thought Obama would be a great President and well...He isn't. Snipes_2

Maybe I misread it. I thought it said "Democrats have the votes they need", as in, they voted. I don't know what would make a "Great President", Obama hasn't done anything he said he would for starters.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

He hasn't done anything he said he would? And he spent 2 Trillion dollars in 421 days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] The topic only says that Dems have the votes they need. [QUOTE="Snipes_2"]They also thought Obama would be a great President and well...He isn't. Snipes_2

Maybe I misread it. I thought it said "Democrats have the votes they need", as in, they voted. I don't know what would make a "Great President", Obama hasn't done anything he said he would for starters.

.. So wait.. If your not great your bad? :|

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="scorch-62"] What makes a great President?sSubZerOo

I never said that.
N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N-REAL

[QUOTE="N-REAL"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

Seeing as the health care industry is a multi trillion dollar industry.. To which during this build the industry launched the largest lobbying campaign in history in hundreds of millions of dollars.. I can't help but see why this is overly negative.. Furthermore its lowering our premiums because much of the costs are due to inefficencies within the system and buearcracy.. If it works of course, we have no real clue if it will or not.. But imo its far better then keeping the course of things, where the bad things are shoved off on the average day person.

I agree. you have a very good point there. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] They also thought Obama would be a great President and well...He isn't. Snipes_2

He hasn't done anything he said he would? And he spent 2 Trillion dollars in 421 days.

Clearly he has done tremendous amounts of legislation.. From redoing the hate crime laws, ending thewar on terror and drugs.. Ended the use of torture.. Created a stim bill to the economy that has at least had some measurable positive effects.. Your being disengious if you claim "he hasn't done anything" when infact he has been extremely busy.. Just because you do not approve of those changes or think they are not anything, does not some how make him that he has done "nothing" as you so put it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Maybe I misread it. I thought it said "Democrats have the votes they need", as in, they voted. I don't know what would make a "Great President", Obama hasn't done anything he said he would for starters. Snipes_2

I never said that.

Just saying I don't see how we can have a "great president" on either side of the poltiical spectrum when the environment is this harsh.. THe open hostility towards Obama is staggering to which a large amount of the Republican party don't even think he is the real president, or other numerous things.. We had this same problem with Bush but no where near as bad, it seems to be getting only worse.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pirate700

sSubZerOo

I never said that.

Just saying I don't see how we can have a "great president" on either side of the poltiical spectrum when the environment is this harsh.. THe open hostility towards Obama is staggering to which a large amount of the Republican party don't even think he is the real president, or other numerous things.. We had this same problem with Bush but no where near as bad, it seems to be getting only worse.

Where the hell did you come up with republicans don't think he's the real president? :|

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 scorch-62
He hasn't done anything he said he would? And he spent 2 Trillion dollars in 421 days. Snipes_2
He promised to get us out of Iraq/the Middle East (I forgot what he said). We're supposed to be out by the end of 2011. He promised health care reform. The bill is expected to pass today. He promised to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and allow homosexuals to openly serve in the military. That passed. Just off the top of my head, he has a better track record than you say he does.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I think it's great that the U.S. is finally going to have near-universal health care. It's about time. This isn't a perfect bill by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a hell of a lot better than the status quo, and historically, these types of bills always get improved over time.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Snipes_2

sSubZerOo

Clearly he has done tremendous amounts of legislation.. From redoing the hate crime laws, ending thewar on terror and drugs.. Ended the use of torture.. Created a stim bill to the economy that has at least had some measurable positive effects.. Your being disengious if you claim "he hasn't done anything" when infact he has been extremely busy.. Just because you do not approve of those changes or think they are not anything, does not some how make him that he has done "nothing" as you so put it.

HE actually hasn't done anything except try and pass this bill. I haven't seen anything about him "Ending Torture, Ending the war on terror and drugs, or redoing hate crime laws". And his stimulus: "The unemployment rate remains near 10 percent, and many families are struggling.""Christina Romer and Jared Bernstein, estimated that the unemployment rate would not go above 8% if stimulus were enacted. It has been well above that rate since February and is now above 10%."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] I never said that. Pirate700

Where the hell did you come up with republicans don't think he's the real president? :|

The birthers? A substantial amount of the Republican party including ones in office?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

The birthers? A substantial amount of the Republican party including ones in office?

A substantial amount of the Republican party does not think he is not the president. Nor are they birthers. :lol:

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] The topic only says that Dems have the votes they need.

Your arguments would carry more weight if you researched them first. According to non-partisan Politifact, Obama actually has a Pretty good track record of fulfilling his promises. Overall, I think he's had a fantastic first year. He got the stimulus bill passed, which has pulled us out of a recession. He's a day or so away from the biggest expansion of the social safety net since FDR. He got Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act passed. Oh, and killed more pirates than any president in recent history!
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]He hasn't done anything he said he would? And he spent 2 Trillion dollars in 421 days. scorch-62
He promised to get us out of Iraq/the Middle East (I forgot what he said). We're supposed to be out by the end of 2011. He promised health care reform. The bill is expected to pass today. He promised to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and allow homosexuals to openly serve in the military. That passed. Just off the top of my head, he has a better track record than you say he does.

We're not out of Iraq, and I doubt we will be in 2011 - Between 35,000 to 50,000 troops will remain in Iraq, he said. They would be withdrawn gradually until all U.S. forces are out of Iraq by December 31, 2011 -- the deadline set under an agreement the Bush administration signed with the Iraqi government last year. Healthcare - It hasn't passed yet. Don't ask Don't Tell - Yup, HE actually passed that. I forgot he actually did One thing including the stimulus which cost 875 Billion dollars.
Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] They also thought Obama would be a great President and well...He isn't. Snipes_2

Obama's been keeping his word pretty well...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] He hasn't done anything he said he would? And he spent 2 Trillion dollars in 421 days. Snipes_2

HE actually hasn't done anything except try and pass this bill.

You honeslty don't know what a president is for then.. They are leaders of the party, a president doesn't have executive power over everything.. I fear Bush's time in office warped peoples perceptions on what the President is suppose to be.

I haven't seen anything about him "Ending Torture, Ending the war on terror and drugs, or redoing hate crime laws".

Look it up.. One of the FIRST bills he signed banned torture.. They are also began dismantling the whole war on terror, as well as drugs.. There are numerous articles on it.. google is your friend.. As some one stated earlier he also brougth down the whole "Don't ask, don't tell".. To claim he has done nothign is absolutely wrong.. Infact he has been icnreasingly busy..

And his stimulus: "The unemployment rate remains near 10 percent, and many families are struggling.""Christina Romer and Jared Bernstein, estimated that the unemployment rate would not go above 8% if stimulus were enacted. It has been well above that rate since February and is now above 10%."

A) If you were expecting a miracle, then the joke has always been on you.. These things take time.. FDR's NEW DEAL which was vastly more indepth of today's Stim plan took years to see any real improvement in numerous areas.. and B) You may disagree with his poliices, that doesn't mean he isn't passing and promoting those said policies.. Which smacks in the face of you saying "he has done nothing".. Quite clearly he has done something.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="scorch-62"] What makes a great President?nocoolnamejim

Your arguments would carry more weight if you researched them first. According to non-partisan Politifact, Obama actually has a Pretty good track record of fulfilling his promises. Overall, I think he's had a fantastic first year. He got the stimulus bill passed, which has pulled us out of a recession. He's a day or so away from the biggest expansion of the social safety net since FDR. He got Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act passed. Oh, and killed more pirates than any president in recent history!

Well, I think we have different definitions of a good year. A lot of stuff is supposedly "In the works". How do we know they'll actually go through? Here are 11 of the supposed 16 within the first two months of his presidency. Which makes me believe he has compromised more than 16. http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=91286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]Where the hell did you come up with republicans don't think he's the real president? :|

Pirate700

A substantial amount of the Republican party does not think he is not the president. Nor are they birthers. :lol:

Firstly you did a double negative.. So I have no clue what your talking about.. And secondly.. http://www.dailykos.com/statepoll/2009/7/30/US/320polls are showing that the birther movement is growing not shrinking with in the Republican movement.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scorch-62
I'm actually watching Obama's speech from yesterday and I have one question that I haven't been able to research an answer to. He said something about outlawing denial of coverage for children with pre-existing conditions. My question is, "What about the adults?"
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Snipes_2

Mercury_May2112

That's already been linked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814

I'm actually watching Obama's speech from yesterday and I have one question that I haven't been able to research an answer to. He said something about outlawing denial of coverage for children with pre-existing conditions. My question is, "What about the adults?"scorch-62

.. Pre-existing condition thing is being slashed out of all health care policies regardless of what age you are.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

Firstly you did a double negative.. So I have no clue what your talking about.. And secondly.. http://www.dailykos.com/statepoll/2009/7/30/US/320polls are showing that the birther movement is growing not shrinking with in the Republican movement.

Try posting a link from a real reputable source please. A minuscule portion of repblicans are birthers.

Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts

[QUOTE="Mercury_May2112"]

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"] He hasn't done anything he said he would? And he spent 2 Trillion dollars in 421 days. Snipes_2

That's already been linked.

No it hasn't. Some linked how many promises Obama has kept. I linked how often he's told the truth.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] Maybe I misread it. I thought it said "Democrats have the votes they need", as in, they voted. I don't know what would make a "Great President", Obama hasn't done anything he said he would for starters. Snipes_2

Well, I think we have different definitions of a good year. A lot of stuff is supposedly "In the works". How do we know they'll actually go through? Here are 11 of the supposed 16 within the first two months of his presidency. Which makes me believe he has compromised more than 16. http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=91286

World Net Daily is the most partisan, far-right source around except maybe the National Review, Fox News or the Drudge Report. I think I'll lend more weight to an actual non-partisan source. I'm not saying that he's fulfilled EVERY promise he made, but according to that Politifact link he's kept 6 times the number of promises he's broken and overall about 1/4th of the promises he's made. Right on track so far. Can't ask much more from a president in their first year in office than to pull us out of a massive recession, pass sweeping changes to the healthcare system that Democrats have been trying to get enacted since longer than I've been alive.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]I'm actually watching Obama's speech from yesterday and I have one question that I haven't been able to research an answer to. He said something about outlawing denial of coverage for children with pre-existing conditions. My question is, "What about the adults?"

It'll be illegal for insurance companies to deny coverage to adults for pre-existing conditions as well, but at a later date then for children (I'm not sure but I believe that it becomes illegal for children to be denied coverage based on pre-existing conditions sometime this year, while it will be illegal to deny coverage to adults with pre-existing conditions sometime next year or the year after). In the meantime, adults with pre-existing conditions who cannot get insurance will have the opportunity to enroll in high-risk insurance pools.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]A substantial amount of the Republican party does not think he is not the president. Nor are they birthers. :lol:

Pirate700

Try posting a link from a real reputable source please. A minuscule portion of repblicans are birthers.

28% said no, and 30% said not sure.. Thats a pretty staggering number for the Republicans.. Here is another poll. from Public Policy Polling.. That attributes that 42% of republicans think Obama isn't a natural born US citizen. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/24/birther-poll-42-percent-o_n_298456.html

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 scorch-62

[QUOTE="scorch-62"]I'm actually watching Obama's speech from yesterday and I have one question that I haven't been able to research an answer to. He said something about outlawing denial of coverage for children with pre-existing conditions. My question is, "What about the adults?"sSubZerOo

.. Pre-existing condition thing is being slashed out of all health care policies regardless of what age you are.

Gotcha. Thank you.

@-Sun_Tzu- Thank you, too. :P

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

"This means that there is a 95 percent probability that the "true" figure would fall within that range if the entire adult population were sampled. The margin for error is higher for any demographic subgroup, such as gender, race, or region" "Given that 10-20% of respondents tend agree with any statement (likely due to social norms), I went through the survey mentally subtracting 15 percentage points from every "yes" answer. That does leave some shocking numbers -- particularly as acquiescence tended to indicate support for gay rights, sex education, etc. -- but suggests that Birthers, for instance, may be outnumbered in the party.""Acquiescence bias probably exaggerates the amount of agreement measured for some of the more ludicrous assertions about Barack Obama tested on the Kos poll." http://www.pollster.com/blogs/acquiescence_bias_more_on_the.php
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]A substantial amount of the Republican party does not think he is not the president. Nor are they birthers. :lol:

Pirate700

Yeah, that site pretty much has as its mission statement "support the democrats."
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

And with it's passing, Stalin shall rise from the grave to destroy capitalism!

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] The topic only says that Dems have the votes they need. [QUOTE="Snipes_2"]They also thought Obama would be a great President and well...He isn't. Snipes_2

Really now?

On the subject of healthcare: it's about time. I can't wait until this is passed and the paranoid people opposing it go the way of the people who opposed social security.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nocoolnamejim

Pixel-Pirate
Zombie Stalin?!
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Pixel-Pirate

OMG ZOMBIE COMMUNISTS! Grab your flamethrowers!

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]nocoolnamejim

World Net Daily is the most partisan, far-right source around except maybe the National Review, Fox News or the Drudge Report. I think I'll lend more weight to an actual non-partisan source. I'm not saying that he's fulfilled EVERY promise he made, but according to that Politifact link he's kept 6 times the number of promises he's broken and overall about 1/4th of the promises he's made. Right on track so far. Can't ask much more from a president in their first year in office than to pull us out of a massive recession, pass sweeping changes to the healthcare system that Democrats have been trying to get enacted since longer than I've been alive.

HE hasn't passed the Healthcare bill yet and HE didn't pull us out of a Massive Recession. THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION -- FEBRUARY 2010 Nonfarm payroll employment was little changed (-36,000) in February, and the unemployment rate held at 9.7 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.In February, the number of unemployed persons, at 14.9 million, was essen- tially unchanged, and the unemployment rate remained at 9.7 percent. (See table A-1.)Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates for adult men (10.0 per- cent), adult women (8.0 percent), whites (8.8 percent), blacks (15.8 percent), Hispanics (12.4 percent), and teenagers (25.0 percent) showed little to no change in February. The jobless rate for Asians was 8.4 percent, not season- ally adjusted. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.) http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="scorch-62"] What makes a great President?Theokhoth

Really now?

On the subject of healthcare: it's about time. I can't wait until this is passed and the paranoid people opposing it go the way of the people who opposed social security.

Lol, all three of you linked the same ONE source.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

789shadow

OMG ZOMBIE COMMUNISTS! Grab your flamethrowers!

Silly communazi. Don't you know that the healthcare bill is going to make them revive the head of Adolf Hitler inject serum turning him gay and have him execute handicapped old folks at the churches where liberals don't agree with the sermons?
Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

Well, its a start. Unfortunately people are going to challenge it's constitutionality and try to overthrow it which could be problematic if they win.