High School Math is so pointless!

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

Hey that Harry Potter class sounds pretty awesome to be honest.

...Not a fan of the series but I really like analyzing books, movies, video games and the like.

Wasn't there a school in California that was teaching a class on Mulholland Drive? That is one I would definitely be in (best movie ever etc).

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I agree, US schools suck at teaching logic. They try to teach math like a qualitative subject. You get a bunch of formulas and concepts thrown at you aand you're expected to memorize how to do them not understand how to do them. It's a problem because with math you won't truly grasp the material unless you actually understand the logic behind all the concepts. I say this from experience because up until college I sucked at math. Then I took my science classes and some philosophy of logic classes and suddenly math made a lot more sense.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Hey that Harry Potter class sounds pretty awesome to be honest.

...Not a fan of the series but I really like analyzing books, movies, video games and the like.

Wasn't there a school in California that was teaching a class on Mulholland Drive? That is one I would definitely be in (best movie ever etc).

Fredrick2003x

Analyzing books? Awesome.

Analyzing "Clifford the Big Red Dog Goes to the Circus"? Not awesome. Essentially, having a course on a book series like Harry Potter is ridiculous, because it's just not literature. Any fleck of literature found in it was stolen from Ender's game, which would be a much better selection for a course.

At least Mulholland Drive is smart. I mean, what would make more sense, a class on the cinematography of "Jungle 2 Jungle", or a class on the cinematography of "City of Lost Children"?

I love analyzing books, music, movies, etc. as well...my 18 page essay on Oryx & Crake from my grade 12 english class is proof enough...but there are some things that are just a waste to study. Sure, I could do a book report on the halo novels, or or one of those Jedi Apprentice books from a few years back, but I wouldn't be exposed to the same level of material as I would had I chosen books like "Oryx & Crake", "The Brothers Karamazov", "Les Miserables", "A Canticle for Leibowitz", etc.

And isn't that what learning is about? Exposing yourself to the unknown in order to understand it, instead of focusing on something you know and is taken at face value?

diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts

They need to fix this system badly. IT would be better to have high schoolers so advanced in basic math rather than memorizing useless information about Calculus. In other words, I'd rather prefer someone who gets an 800 on an SAT Math Subject Test than someone who gets an A+ in their Calculus class.

Logic is better than knowledge, but the Logic should be about stuff we do everyday rather than complex functions. Most of this stuff we will never use later in life, and if we will, let us learn it in college if that's going to be our major! What do you guys think?

RyuHayabusaX
It sounds like you are having difficulty uniting mathematical concepts to real life applications. That is defiantely something you should try to improve as it would help your understanding of math, and allow you to use math in the real world.

I personally love math, and see it as extremely useful in the real world. If you ever plan to run a business, or do some investments, math is extremely useful to know.

It could also be your teachers fault for not showing you how to connect math principles with real world applications.

There are great problems with your, "we should learn it in college if thats going to be our major!". Math is very advanced now. You could not simply learn all of it in the time that it takes for you to get your major. Not to mention that learning all this basic stuff that we currently learn in highschool is done in a very slow, and easy way, so that a lot of students will have the ability to use math that is needed in the future. It is a constant building in math, you are taught something one year,. the next year, it is reinforced, and you are taught something new, which is reinforced the next year, etc. You build a solid foundations of math. You need to have a good foundations of math going into college.

What do you think they should stop at in highschool? Just remove calculus all together? Or go even further to removing trigonometry? quadratics? Or even simple linear systems?

I also read that you feel that most people learn the math, then forget it the next day. I don't know about you, but I remember a ton of stuff from math. Theres not that much to really "remember" other then maybe some weird equations (cosine law, quadratic equation, midpoint of line). There is really no memorization in math. Math is concrete, and logical, and derived. There is no mass amount of memorization like there is in biology or history (Oh god! so boring! Who needs history in real life? NO ONE! I can see your complains for history, but history isn't a requirement in highschool, which is why no one takes it, its pointless.).

Of course, I love math, and I really enjoy doing it, I plan on being an engineer. I see all of this math as extremely useful, to everyone in the real world.
Jon_To_The_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#55 Jon_To_The_C
Member since 2008 • 189 Posts
I disagree. High-school math isn't entirely pointless. Sure, most people will never factor a quadratic equation after they graduate, but many will. People who enter science, mathematic,or other such futures will need this stuff. Moreover, you'll notice that the level of math is rising for high-school. Many parents never had to do this stuff. You see, the more the current generation knows and conceives, the faster math can evolve and improve our lives. (Basically, by teaching the public attendance as much as possible, we'll be living in a futuristic haven sooner, so to speak.)
Red-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Red-XIII
Member since 2003 • 2739 Posts
I took Extension 1 Maths (Australian curriculum, I believe it's equivalent to Calculus in the USA) and I thought I'd never need it. I only did it to boost my score. However, after I quit my Uni course and took up a trade and doing mechanicial engineering, it's paid off big time. I'm way ahead of everyone else at the moment.
Greg_888_v8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Greg_888_v8
Member since 2005 • 3881 Posts
do you want to be pushing trolleys at your local supermarket all your life?
Sad_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Sad_demon
Member since 2005 • 221 Posts
WHy are u saying its pointless High Scholl math like calculus and trignomitry is the math that is used in the real world to construct buildings and many other things
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

The school system in general is deeply flawed.gobo212

QFT. school is broken

Wolf-avatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 Wolf-avatar
Member since 2007 • 7783 Posts
Im just going to start setting my desk on fire.
WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts

To everyone who thinks algebra, trigonometry is pointless, listen to this.

When you want to make a fence but only have so much material, you can calculate the maximum amount of area and perimeter the fencing can produce by setting up a quadratic equation and calculating the vertex and roots to find out what you need.

When you want to figure out how much profit you can make by selling x items with x cost of the product, set up aother quadratic equation, complete the square and find your values!

When you need to find out the angle of something for which you are building, calculating, finding velocity or physics-related values, you can set up trigonometric equations and ratios to find angle and vectors that you need.

Basic algebra rules such as absolue values, rational and radical expressions, and etc. really help you avoid making calculation errors which could save you time and money in whatever task or career you need math skills for.

People, it's quite simple to realize what math could be used for. You just need general knowledge of subjects and basic math skills and you could easily solve daily life problems!

kdsns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 kdsns
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

You say logic is more important than knowledge, but thats really the whole point of why they make you take math. They dont expect that when you graduate you will remember every little thing that you studied in your math classes, they expect that you will take away the logic that you learned. This is true for alot of subjects you study

Besides, since when is Calc required to graduate high school? If youre taking it then its your choice.

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
I'm learning algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. That's all pretty important. Sure you might not use it but you might not use chemistry or your knowledge of government either.
SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Isn't knowledge more important than logic? You can't apply logic if you don't have knowledge while you can know things even if you don't think logically.
JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts

My Geometry Teacher said that to do Calculus, you need Algebra (10th grade BTW)

I just don't get Geometry at all, how is finding the congruency of triangles going to help me in life :?

astiop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 astiop
Member since 2005 • 3582 Posts
I don't know how things are taught there but here in high school we did Integral's (not sure if you do them in your calculus classes over there, here we started off with limits, then derivatives and then integrals, and series in "basic" math class) and we do even more of those ****ing integrals in our first year of IT (in colledge). I guess their purpose is to get your brain working for the harder stuff to come. We wouldn't be able to do calculus and all that mambo jambo if it wasn't for the more basic stuff we did before that (or it would be really really hard to grasp).
swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#67 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts

Isn't knowledge more important than logic? You can't apply logic if you don't have knowledge while you can know things even if you don't think logically.SuperVegeta518

No, knowledge is most certainly not more important than logic. Logic improves your ability to learn more things in the future, which is definitely more important than how much you know at any specific point in time.

johndoh4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 johndoh4
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
I had to take Calculus in college. It was like living in hell, then almost crawling your way out only to be smited back to the bottom again for Calculus II. I managed to get a B in both courses though. Statistics was a little easier.
-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 -Austin-
Member since 2008 • 2417 Posts
Privatize the school system
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
Any math after algebra 1 is pointless to me.
MetaKirbyfan14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 MetaKirbyfan14
Member since 2008 • 587 Posts

Its like all the teachers and schools are trying to cram all this knowledge inside of you before you turn 18 >_>

I hate Math. Most of it seems so pointless...

Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts

Maybe you hate math? Math is one of my favorite subjects.